Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 22-04-2008, 06:00 PM #1
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Default Breastfeeding in public

This story was reported in Dorset and picked up by a red top. Now if you follow all the comments on the Dorset paper you will find that this story is disputed. You will also find my comments. (Why would anyone want to make that up?)

This was part of what I wrote

Quote:

susifloozie there is also the possibility that someone impersonated a waitress, or to be more acurate a Barista, or could even have been an official from the nearby Dolphin centre. With all the scrutiny that goes on I would be suprised that someone would even think of trying somethink on

On Saturday I was in a Caffe Nero in Newcastle when a baby next to me started crying and his mother , who was with her mother, discretley started breast feeding. Prior to the feeding, while he was crying I discussed the checklist required when a baby cries.

No one complained and I was not going to either, given what the WHO says on this matter. It was either this or a screaming baby. I was between the line of sight from the counter, so blocking the view from there, but even so I was worried one of the Baristas might spot this and intervene (How many are aware of the law?) My only comment to this lady was to let her know, should she need it that the downstairs disabled lavatory had a baby change facility. I am trying to be the progressive modern enlightened male here
My comments also covered other matters beyond the scope of this thread.

So are people here for or against breastfeeding in public or should this be done out of site, if at all, and possibly in the lavatory where women used to be directed to.
Sticks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 06:02 PM #2
BURLESQUE

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Olly Murs

BURLESQUE

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Olly Murs

Its a tricky one. I think I'm against it for the same reason I'm against topless sunbathing in public places because it can bring up questions in younger children that the parents won't be able to answer. But I see not much wrong with doing it in a bathroom.
MrGaryy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 06:31 PM #3

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

I don't think theres anything wrong with it. IMO its just the same as bottle feeding in public and as long as the mother isn't embarrassed then I see no reason against it. Its hardly indecent exposure.
Tom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 06:35 PM #4
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by thebiggerbrother
Its a tricky one. I think I'm against it for the same reason I'm against topless sunbathing in public places because it can bring up questions in younger children that the parents won't be able to answer. But I see not much wrong with doing it in a bathroom.
I remember when I was about 7 years old and I was in Spain and I saw plenty of women topless I asked my mum weather it was rude and she explained that you can go topless if you wish. I replied (why) and she said (shut-up and go and play sandcastles)

I learnt not to ask silly questions
housem8 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 06:37 PM #5

I don't see the problem. Females of all species are designed to feed their young. If a woman is out with her baby and they need feeding, what's the problem? The baby sure as hell isn't going to wait. What is wrong with a woman revealing her breast in public to nurture her child? It all seems so silly to me. Why should it be a problem?
Mrluvaluva is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 06:51 PM #6

I've done it a few time but I wouldnt just whip them out in public for the sake of it. There are tops with secret panels that hide you while your baby feeds. When you breast feed a baby you mostly do demand feeding where you feed when the baby is hungry rather than every 3-4 hours with bottle feeding. So you dont have that much of a routine, you cant schedule your day around when your baby needs to feed.

Why should women feel ashamed for feeding their baby? When you are in the maternity ward you are almost made to feel guilty if you dont breast-feed your baby (as was the case with my 1st) so why is there so much negative feeling towards something so natural?
~Kizwiz~ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 08:00 PM #7

It should be down to the individual and if children ask questions then they should be given answers. It's just nature and not indecent and children should not be lured into thinking it is indecent because some people may be prudish.....
bananarama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 10:52 PM #8

This is the story of Nicola Harle. She was on Radio 5 in tears yesterday while I was driving down to Rutland. Costa Coffee's statement, broadcast on the the Radio station, had no mention of an apology and it seemed to state she was making the story up.

To be honest listening to the poor mum on the Radio it was Costa Coffee who are at fault and people should vote with there feet and move on to the next coffee shop. These people don't deserve the custom of decent people.

I think it's fine to breast feed in public. It's good for baby, good for mum and the right thing to do. It's 2008 and not 1908 people need to move with the times. I'm sure in the time when the New Testament women breast feed in public. It's natural.
Red Moon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 05:21 AM #9
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

So did they accuse her of lying?

Some of the comments on This is Dorset seemed to say so with someone claiming that the "waitress" described" was not on duty and that nobody could recall the incident.
Old 23-04-2008, 05:27 AM #10
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Another story

Maybe it would be less hassle all round if mothers did this in the toilets
Old 23-04-2008, 07:01 AM #11
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sticks
Not that I am in favour of doing this, hence the emoticon, but as store owners think they have to cater for the "majority" of their customers and don't want them "offended" that may be the only compromise, irrespective of what the law actually says.
Old 23-04-2008, 07:05 AM #12

Quote:
That is the way it sounded on Radio 5. As Victoria Derbyshire read the statement from the company out the poor girl started crying.

It should be possible to listen to the interview again at the moment on the BBC website. The interview would have been in the last half an hour of the three hour show.
Red Moon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 07:05 AM #13

Quote:
Quote:
Not that I am in favour of doing this, hence the emoticon, but as store owners think they have to cater for the "majority" of their customers and don't want them "offended" that may be the only compromise, irrespective of what the law actually says.
Well those store owners who have a problem with breastfeeding a baby in public and think its ok to feed in the toilet should go and eat their dinner in there too.... after all.... thats what the baby is doing.
~Kizwiz~ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 03:03 PM #14
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Moon
Quote:
That is the way it sounded on Radio 5. As Victoria Derbyshire read the statement from the company out the poor girl started crying.

It should be possible to listen to the interview again at the moment on the BBC website. The interview would have been in the last half an hour of the three hour show.

Do you have a link?
Old 23-04-2008, 03:26 PM #15

i dont think there is anything wrong with breastfeeding in public. i mean its a natural thing, and if people cant except that then tuff !
MR.K! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 04:28 PM #16
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Moon
Quote:

Just to clarify is that the Monday show you heard it on? and Definitely the last half hour? I did not have much time before going out and so was trying to scan along in Real Player stand alone but did not find it.
Old 23-04-2008, 04:37 PM #17
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

I don't think breastfeeding can be labeled as indecent exposure when The Sun is able to get away with printing topless women in Page 3 everyday.
Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 05:54 PM #18

Quote:
Originally posted by ~kizwiz~
Quote:
Quote:
Well those store owners who have a problem with breastfeeding a baby in public and think its ok to feed in the toilet should go and eat their dinner in there too.... after all.... thats what the baby is doing.

Exactly......Those that are offended by something so natural are themselves being offensive......A toilet is no place for anyone to be feeding.....
bananarama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 09:26 PM #19
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

I saw someone breastfeeding on Saturday at my coffee shop, Caffe Nero in Newcastle and I was not offended, I did wonder if one of the baristas might say something but nobody did.

Are we more progressive here in the north than in the south?

It was either that or endure a screaming baby, so I suppose there was some self preservation amongst us then.
Old 24-04-2008, 06:51 AM #20
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by ~kizwiz~
It is not so much the store owners, except in that case in Portsmouth in 2007 and possibly McDonalds Havant, 2006 but other customers, possibly.

Imagine for a moment you are the cafe owner. In order to survive you need a lot of repeat business.

Suppose a lady is discretley breastfeeding her baby in the restaurant.

A regular then complains to you because they do not think that sort of thing should be done in public. This regular tends to put a lot of business your way, as they tend to bring in a lot of clients.

Suppose you are not the cafe owner but a waiter or waitress and you do not want to be held responsible for a customer going elsewhere and taking his business with him

The lady is not a regular and it is her first time in your establishment.

Now what do you do?
Old 24-04-2008, 10:07 PM #21

No matter what my position in an eating establishment I would never assume to tell a bresat feeding mother that she should go to a toilet or leave. The right for a child to be fed is a basic human right, I would like to have seen someone tell me I could not feed my babies in public.

I think we see more nudity on television and in the press than you do when a woman feeds her baby. It is not about showing off your breasts, it is about providing your child with what they need.
Sunny_01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 10:13 PM #22

Who would want to feed their child in a bathroom anyway? It's pretty unhygenic isn't it?
Old 25-04-2008, 06:59 AM #23
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrluvaluva
Who would want to feed their child in a bathroom anyway? It's pretty unhygenic isn't it?
I agree on this one - I was talking to another Caffe Nero barista and she is of the same mind of you and other posters such as Sunny_01. So maybe Caffe Nero, (touch wood) is a bit more enlightened.

What I was getting at though is that sometimes a person can be put in an awkward position. In my scenario, you could point out to the complainant that since 06 April 2008 a law came into affect to prevent discrimination of the mother and that your hands were tied, by law. Whether that would stop him going and taking valuable business with him, I could not say.

The Barista I spoke to did wonder about special rooms, as a provision until I mentioned that this was effectively segregation. This does seem to be a minefield for the unwary employer / shopowner
Old 25-04-2008, 08:23 AM #24

Quote:

I agree on this one - I was talking to another Caffe Nero barista and she is of the same mind of you and other posters such as Sunny_01. So maybe Caffe Nero, (touch wood) is a bit more enlightened.

What I was getting at though is that sometimes a person can be put in an awkward position. In my scenario, you could point out to the complainant that since 06 April 2008 a law came into affect to prevent discrimination of the mother and that your hands were tied, by law. Whether that would stop him going and taking valuable business with him, I could not say.

The Barista I spoke to did wonder about special rooms, as a provision until I mentioned that this was effectively segregation. This does seem to be a minefield for the unwary employer / shopowner
I understand the point you made about it raising a quandary for an employee, but I don't suppose there is anything a member of staff can do about it. Maybe the establishment should make better provisions for a scenario of this kind with designated facilities specifically for this nature. I still think that is wrong though and cannot see why certain members of the public are so hung up on this.

Women reveal their breasts on page 3 of The Sun (as it has been mentioned) purely for a sexual purpose. This is for a completely different purpose and there should be no shame in doing so imo.
Old 25-04-2008, 03:30 PM #25
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrluvaluva
Maybe the establishment should make better provisions for a scenario of this kind with designated facilities specifically for this nature. I still think that is wrong though
That is kind of what I told the Barista this morning

Special Provisions = (We are hiding you away so as not to frighten the horses)

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
breastfeeding, public