Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 13-08-2008, 04:42 AM #1
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Arrow Centralia - A town that has been burning for 50 years

In May 1962, Centralia Borough Council hired five members of the volunteer fire company to clean up the town landfill, located in an abandoned strip mine pit next to the Odd Fellows Cemetery. This had been done prior to Memorial Day in previous years, when the landfill was in a different location. The firefighters, as they had in the past, set the dump on fire, and let it burn for a time. Unlike in previous years, however, the fire was not extinguished.

In her 2007 book about Centralia, Joan Quigley asserts that the fire began on May 27 when one of the two commercial haulers serving the borough "hurled hot ashes onto the dump." Quigley cites "interviews with volunteer firemen, the former fire chief, borough officials, and several eyewitnesses, as well as contemporaneous borough council minutes" as her sources for this explanation of the fire.

The fire remained burning in the lower depths of the garbage and eventually spread through a hole in the rock pit into the abandoned coal mines beneath Centralia. Attempts to extinguish the fire were unsuccessful, and it continued to burn throughout the 1960s and 1970s. Adverse health effects were reported by several people due to the carbon monoxide produced.

In 1979, locals became aware of the scale of the problem when a gas-station owner inserted a stick into one of his underground tanks to check the fuel level. When he withdrew it, it seemed hot, so he lowered a thermometer down on a string and was shocked to discover that the temperature of the gasoline in the tank was 172 °F (77.8 °C). State-wide attention to the fire began to increase, culminating in 1981 when 12-year-old Todd Domboski fell into a sinkhole four feet wide by 150 feet (46 m) deep that suddenly opened beneath his feet. He was saved after his older cousin pulled him from the mouth of the hole before he could plunge to his probable death. The incident brought national attention to Centralia as an investigatory group – including a state representative, a state senator, and a mine safety director – was coincidentally on a walking tour of Domboski's neighborhood at the time of his incident.

In 1984, Congress allocated more than $42 million for relocation efforts. Most of the residents accepted buyout offers and moved to the nearby communities of Mount Carmel and Ashland. A few families opted to stay despite warnings from state officials.

In 1992, Pennsylvania claimed eminent domain on all properties in the borough, condemning all the buildings within. A subsequent legal effort by residents to have the decision reversed failed. In 2002, the United States Postal Service revoked Centralia's ZIP code, 17927.

Last edited by Scarlett.; 21-04-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Scarlett. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 04:53 AM #2
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

And this is how it is today
A handful of occupied homes remain in Centralia. Most of the buildings have been razed, and at a casual glance the area now appears to be a meadow with several paved streets through it. Some areas are being filled with new-growth forest. Most of Centralia's roads and sidewalks are overgrown with brush, although some areas appear to be mowed. The remaining church in the borough holds weekly Saturday night services, and the borough's four cemeteries are still well-maintained. Centralia's cemeteries now have a far greater population than the town, including one on the hilltop that has smoke rising around and out of it.

The only indications of the fire, which underlies some 400 acres (1.6 km˛), spreading along four fronts, are low round metal steam vents in the south of the borough, and several signs warning of underground fire, unstable ground, and carbon monoxide. Additional smoke and steam can be seen coming from an abandoned portion of Pennsylvania Route 61, the area just behind the hilltop cemetery, and various other cracks in the ground scattered about the area. Route 61 was repaired several times until its final closing. The current route was a detour around the damaged portion during the repairs and became a permanent route in the mid-1990s, thus abandonment occurred to the old route with mounds of dirt being placed at both ends of the former route, effectively blocking the road. Pedestrian traffic is still possible due to a small opening about two feet wide at the north side of the road, but this is very muddy and not accessible to the disabled. The underground fire is still burning and will continue to do so for the indefinite future. There are no current plans to extinguish the fire, which is consuming an eight-mile seam containing enough coal to fuel it for 250 years.

One of the few remaining houses was notable for the five chimney-like support buttresses along each of two opposite sides of the house, where the house was previously supported by a row of adjacent buildings before they were demolished. This home was demolished in September 2007. Another house with similar buttresses is visible from the northern side of the cemetery, just north of the burning, partially subsumed hillside.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania did not renew the relocation contract at the end of 2005, and the fate of the remaining residents is uncertain.

It is expected that many former residents will return in 2016 to open a time capsule buried in 1966 next to the veterans' memorial
Old 13-08-2008, 05:06 AM #3

Ooo thanks for that, kinda spooky in a way I suppose.
Xander is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 12:57 AM #4
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Yah, lol theres only 9 people living there now
Old 14-08-2008, 12:58 AM #5

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Mike ‘The Situation’
BB13: Deana

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Mike ‘The Situation’

this for real?
rayheartbliss is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 01:00 AM #6

Maybe theres like some real ****** up burning waste underneath the soil ?
BapStar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 01:01 AM #7
Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

I cba to read all of it.
Is it basiaclly a town that for ever burns?:tounge:
Ninastar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 01:02 AM #8
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Yeah, theres a coal mine that is burning under the ground
Old 14-08-2008, 01:03 AM #9
Banned

Banned

That's really creepy actually. I'd never know why people would want to stay there, it seems pretty dangerous.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:32 AM #10
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Default Centralia coal mine fire still burns 48 years on

CENTRALIA, Pa. – Standing before the wreckage of his bulldozed home, John Lokitis Jr. felt sick to his stomach, certain that a terrible mistake had been made.

He'd fought for years to stay in the house. It was one of the few left standing in the moonscape of Centralia, a once-proud coal town whose population fled an underground mine fire that began in 1962 and continues to burn.

But the state had ordered Lokitis to vacate, leaving the fourth-generation Centralian little choice but to say goodbye — to the house, and to what's left of the town he loved.

"I never had any desire to move," said Lokitis, 39. "It was my home."

After years of delay, state officials are now trying to complete the demolition of Centralia, a borough in the mountains of northeastern Pennsylvania that all but ceased to exist in the 1980s after the mine fire spread beneath homes and businesses, threatening residents with poisonous gases and dangerous sinkholes.

More than 1,000 people moved out, and 500 structures were razed under a $42 million federal relocation program.

But dozens of holdouts, Lokitis included, refused to go — even after their houses were seized through eminent domain in the early 1990s. They said the fire posed little danger to their part of town, accused government officials and mining companies of a plot to grab the mineral rights and vowed to stay put. State and local officials had little stomach to oust the diehards, who squatted tax- and rent-free in houses they no longer owned.

Steve Fishman, attorney for the state Department of Community and Economic Development, said "benign neglect" on the part of state and local officials allowed the residents to stay for so long.

No more.

Fishman told The Associated Press that the state is moving as quickly as possible to take possession of the remaining homes and get them knocked down.

"Everyone agreed that we needed to move this along," he said.

In 2006, there were 16 properties left standing. A year ago, the town was down to 11. Now there are five houses occupied with fewer than a dozen holdouts.

Centralia appears to be entering its final days.

The remaining holdouts, weary after decades of media scrutiny, rarely give interviews. But the town's 86-year-old mayor, Carl Womer, said he doubts he'll have to go. Indeed, Lokitis and others believe that elderly residents will be allowed to live out their final years in Centralia — even after a Columbia County judge decides next month how much they should be paid for their homes.

"Nothing's happened. We're still here," said Womer, whose wife, Helen, who died in 2001, was an implacable foe of relocation. "No one's told us to move."

Like Womer, resident John Lokitis Sr., 68, father of Lokitis Jr., was polite but short. "Why worry about it? When it comes, it comes. I don't give a rat's ass," he said, shutting the door.

Those who remain in Centralia like to keep up appearances. In mid-January, Christmas decorations still adorned the street lamps, a large manger scene occupied a corner of the main intersection and a 2010 calendar hung in the empty borough building. But the holdouts are fighting a losing battle. The building's wooden facade is in dire need of a paint job; in the Odd Fellows Cemetery, vandals recently knocked over dozens of tombstones. Nature has reclaimed parts of the town.

In reality, Centralia is already a memory — an intact street grid with hardly anything on it. All the familiar places that define a town — churches, businesses, schools, homes — are long gone.

A hand-lettered sign tacked to a tree near Womer's home directs tourists to a rocky outcropping off the main street where opaque clouds of steam rise from the ground.

"It was a real community, and people loved the place," said author and journalist Dave DeKok, who has been writing about Centralia for 30 years and recently published "Fire Underground," an updated version of his 1986 book on the town. "People lived their entire lives in that town and would have been quite happy to get rid of the mine fire and keep on living there."

With swifter action, DeKok said, that might have been Centralia's destiny.

The fire began at the town dump and ignited an exposed coal vein. It could have been extinguished for thousands of dollars then, but a series of bureaucratic half-measures and a lack of funding allowed the fire to grow into a voracious monster — feeding on millions of tons of slow-burning anthracite coal in the abandoned network of mines beneath the town.

At first, most Centralians ignored the fire. Some denied its existence, choosing to disregard the threat.

That changed in the 1970s, when carbon monoxide began entering homes and sickening people. The beginning of the end came in 1981, when a cave-in sucked a 12-year-old boy into a hot, gaseous void, nearly killing him. The town divided into two warring camps, one in favor of relocation and one opposed.

Finally, in 1983, the federal government appropriated $42 million to acquire and demolish every building in Centralia. Nearly everyone participated in the voluntary buyouts; by 1990, Census figures showed only 63 people remaining.

Two years later, Gov. Robert Casey decided to shut the town, saying the fire had become too dangerous. The holdouts fought condemnation, blocking appraisers from entering their homes. The legal process eventually ground to a halt.

Until recently, Lokitis Jr., who works a civilian job with the state police in Harrisburg, had been one of Centralia's most vocal defenders — star of a 2007 documentary on Centralia. He expressed hope that it could stage a comeback, claiming the fire had gone out or moved away.

State officials say the fire continues to burn uncontrolled and could for hundreds of years, until it runs out of fuel. One of their biggest concerns is the danger to tourists who often cluster around steam vents on unstable ground.

While Lokitis felt he was in no danger, he had little recourse than to move from his late grandfather's two-story row home on West Park Street when an order to vacate arrived, one of two such notices sent last year.

Now living a few miles away, he tacked a sign on the front porch of the old homestead. "REQUIESCAT IN PACE" — rest in peace, it said. "SORRY POP."

He couldn't bear to watch the home get knocked down a few weeks before Christmas. But he couldn't stay away, either, going back after the wrecking crew had finished its work.

"It was part of my life for all 39 years, that house," he said. "It was difficult to leave it and difficult to see it demolished."

Difficult, too, to give up his dream of Centralia's rebirth.

"I'd always hoped the town would come back and be rebuilt," Lokitis said, "but I guess that's never going to happen."

Yahoo!

Last edited by Scarlett.; 06-02-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:43 AM #11

Favourites (more):
BB14: Dexter

Favourites (more):

This is the first time I heard about it or seen it.

In Japan, I have seen smoke like this from aftermath by volcanic eruptions but not by coal burn and 48 years on!!

I like about TiBB is I still learn things like this now and again, otherwise I will never knew.
sooty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:59 AM #12
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

I know about it because the film version of Silent Hill was based on a coal mine fire :P
Old 07-02-2010, 12:02 PM #13

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I have heard of "Silent Hill" but I have never seen it.

When I have a chance I will try.
sooty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 12:02 PM #14
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Apparently only five people remain there now, and it's rights of being a town have been fully pulled away, though residents are fighting to get it reinstated, sad how this all escalted from some idiots now putting out a landfill fire correctly

Flickr pictures

It's been nicknamed "Silent Hill" but I honestly think it's more like Fallout xD

Last edited by Scarlett.; 21-04-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 21-04-2011, 12:18 PM #15
REVIVAL

REVIVAL

That truely is creepy :/
Old 21-04-2011, 12:24 PM #16
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

What's scary is they spent 30 years living on top of a burning pit without knowing it only first became apparent when a kid nearly fell into a sinkhole
Old 21-04-2011, 12:28 PM #17
Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace
BB2023: Yinrun

Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:

Oh! This is similar to something i'm writing at the moment. Cheers for this Chewy, this is great research for me.

But oh my for the town, brought down by one man.

It's never too late to be who you once could have been...

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN

Anyway there's an explanation and I don't really appreciate your tone. It's very aggressive so I'm going to close this, sorry for killing the internet mate

Benjamin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 12:32 PM #18
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

There's some good comparison shots of before and after here
http://www.offroaders.com/album/cent...-1980s-era.htm
Old 21-04-2011, 01:16 PM #19
That's Life

That's Life

I'd love to visit the town, just to see what's it like.
Old 21-04-2011, 02:00 PM #20
Z

Z

Gosh that's fascinating and terrifying, it's almost post-apocalyptic! The thing with the match was particularly awe inspiring.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 01:32 AM #21
Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:

Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Apparently only five people remain there now, and it's rights of being a town have been fully pulled away, though residents are fighting to get it reinstated, sad how this all escalted from some idiots now putting out a landfill fire correctly

Flickr pictures

It's been nicknamed "Silent Hill" but I honestly think it's more like Fallout xD
Somebody was talking to me about this place earlier and I remembered this thread. This still fascinates me.

It's never too late to be who you once could have been...

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN

Anyway there's an explanation and I don't really appreciate your tone. It's very aggressive so I'm going to close this, sorry for killing the internet mate

Benjamin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 01:52 AM #22
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

Wow that's crazy, does actually remind me a bit of Fallout
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 11:21 AM #23
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

I wonder if the fire will ever stop burning?
Old 26-11-2011, 11:51 AM #24

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson

time to rip the earth up and get a few buckets of water down there

"She was left for dead on the sands of Tatooine, as was I. But fate sometimes steps in to rescue the wretched."

Last edited by Novo; 26-11-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Novo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 11:54 AM #25
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Someone got married at the Church there this year

I'm surprised Christabella wasnt the Priest there