Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB10 Big Brother 10 from 2009 was won by Sophie Reade.

Old 25-05-2009, 10:45 PM #51

Post it now Matt, 14 minutes earlier won't matter
BIG-BRO-FAN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 10:45 PM #52

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Tamera Foster
I'maCeleb2013: Matthew Wright

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Tamera Foster
I'maCeleb2013: Matthew Wright

Quote:
Originally posted by BIG-BRO-FAN
Post it now Matt, 14 minutes earlier won't matter
Don't want to get TiBB in to trouble
Matt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 10:46 PM #53
Banned

Favourites (more):
BB13 USA: Rachel
UBB: Brian

Banned

Favourites (more):

im surprised people respect the embargo so much
ILoveTRW is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 10:46 PM #54
Most powerful man on TiBB

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt
I've got the important (I use the term loosely) bits ready to post
How did you get hold of it?

bbspy's not part of the press. It's a fansite.

So how did you get it?
President is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 10:46 PM #55

15 minutes to go! its 12:01 we get the news isnt it?? lol
Beastie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 10:48 PM #56

Quote:
Originally posted by Firewire
Quote:
Originally posted by foobar
Yes, I have it infront of me now on the C4 press site, it's embargoed until 0001 26 May 2009
Bullshit.
foobar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 10:48 PM #57

times flies when you are having fun on the computer!! lol

13 minutes to go!!!

tick tock
Beastie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 10:49 PM #58
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Originally posted by Firewire
Quote:
Originally posted by foobar
Yes, I have it infront of me now on the C4 press site, it's embargoed until 0001 26 May 2009
Bullshit.
You do know this press pack is not exactly hard to obtain?
Stu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 10:51 PM #59

ooh so excited!
PinkSmurf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 10:51 PM #60
Banned

Banned

Embargoed until: 26/05/2009
Press Pack

relates to:
Date issued: 22/05/2009
BIG BROTHER PRESS PACK

tel: 020 7306 6900
email: BigBrotherPress@channel4.co.uk

BIG BROTHER 10

Starts Thursday 4th June, 9pm on Channel 4
The BB press pack is embargoed until 0001 26 May 2009

It’s summer and that can only mean one thing – Big Brother is back with a new bunch of housemates who are about to enter the biggest game show of them all. From the moment the new housemates are revealed to the public on Thursday 4th June, their lives will be turned upside down as they become inhabitants of the most famous house in Britain. And Big Brother has one thing to say to them, “It’s not what you expect it to be”.

Davina McCall returns to present the launch show and eviction shows direct from the house as well as fronting the weekly fanzine show Big Brother’s Big Mouth, and on E4 George Lamb hosts the show in the know, Big Brother’s Little Brother.

Prior to BB10, E4 is home to three lead-in shows: Jade: As Seen on TV, a one hour film featuring never-before-seen archive of Jade, and interviews with those closet to her that attempts to understand the Goody phenomenon. Davina McCall hosts the one off Big Brother’s Big Quiz celebrating all things Big Brother, as captains Jason Manford, Jamelia, Jack Whitehall and Bob Mortimer team up with some of the most memorable housemates. Big Brother: A Decade in the Headlines looks back at how, from the very first series, Big Brother has influenced and changed the television, media and social landscapes.

David Williams, C4 Commissioning Editor for Big Brother says: “After ten years of tears and tantrums you might think that Big Brother has seen it all. But the magic ingredient that keeps Big Brother constantly on its toes and audiences hooked is the housemates. And this year I have no doubt that we've found a new crop of heroes and villains who will soon take their place amongst the housemate hall of fame.”

Phil Edgar-Jones, Creative Director of Brighter Pictures, as well as working on the last nine summer series, says: “People ask me constantly, ‘Aren’t you bored of Big Brother after so long?' The answer is easy, straightforward and from the heart – a simple ‘no’. This year I hope will be our best.”

The wait is nearly over. Soon a new group of housemates will enter the public consciousness. Let the games begin…

Big Brother is produced by Brighter Pictures (an Endemol company) for Channel 4 and E4.

LUCOZADE ENERGY, the UK’s No 1 Energy drink, is the sponsor of BB10.

www.channel4.com/bigbrother

For all press enquiries contact:
Email: bigbrotherpress@channel4.co.uk

Big Brother 10 Press Team
Nikki O’Shea, Kate Conway (joining C4 26th May), Toby Jones, Denize Belingy (joining C4 1st June)

For picture enquiries contact:
Channel 4 Picture Publicity: 020 7306 8685

BIG BROTHER 10
INFORMATION

Fans can stay glued to events in the Big Brother house throughout in a variety of ways. The line-up of programmes includes:

A Channel 4 launch show, hosted by Davina McCall, which sees the housemates entering the house.
An hour-long show with highlights of the previous 24 hours in the house every night of the week on C4.
Live eviction programmes presented by Davina McCall on C4.
Big Brother’s Little Brother on E4 Monday to Friday, and on T4 each Sunday, hosted by George Lamb.
Big Brother’s Big Mouth – immediately after launch, eviction and final nights on E4 with Davina McCall.
Late-night streaming live from the house
Breaking news from the house can be found on www.channel4.com/bigbrother

Big Brother Launch Show
Thursday 4th June 9pm, C4
Davina McCall presents direct from the Big Brother studios as a new group of housemates enter the Big Brother house for the very first time. Viewers will see the new housemates as they share their very first moments together and settle in for what could be the most unpredictable few weeks of their lives.

Big Brother
Nightly C4
Every night the hour-long programmes features all the action from the previous 24 hours in the house, including tasks and nominations.

Live Eviction Shows
To be confirmed
Davina McCall announces the result of the viewers’ vote and the evicted housemate exits the house live on the show. They then join Davina for their first interview, revealing all about their Big Brother experience. Expect some surprise guests and evictions throughout the run.

Big Brother’s Little Brother
Friday 5th June 6pm, E4
George Lamb continues fronting the ultimate Big Brother fanzine show, delivering all the latest news, views and access to all areas of the house. George delivers a unique insight into the latest shenanigans live from the Big Brother nerve centre, and fans can catch insider scoops on upcoming twists and the very first in-depth interviews with evicted housemates on their return to the outside world. They will be joined by celebrity guests plus friends and family of this year’s housemates. BBLB is on E4 Monday to Friday, and T4 on Sundays.

Big Brother’s Big Mouth
Launch show: Thursday 4th June 10.30pm, E4
Broadcast in the shadow of the Big Brother house Big Mouth returns to Friday nights. The once weekly hour show screens on E4 straight after the live eviction and interview of the latest housemate to depart Channel 4, with Davina McCall. Big Mouth is an adrenaline-fuelled and instantly reactive discussion show for the most passionate Big Brother fans to voice their opinions. All the week’s events from the house will be discussed, dissected and digested by the audience of obsessive BB fans, plus special guest experts, journalists and celebrities. Viewers at home can get involved by ringing in live to the studio, or emailing or texting their opinions. On E4 Friday nights, except launch night – Thursday 4th June.

Big Brother Live
Times vary, nightly, E4/C4
E4 viewers will have a chance to watch late-night streaming broadcast live and direct from the house every night.

WWW.CHANNEL4.COM/BIGBROTHER
To celebrate Big Brother’s tenth birthday, this year the Big Brother site will be bigger and better than ever before. The doors of the House will be blown open to reveal a unique no-holds-barred insight straight from the source. The site will provide up-to-the-minute breaking news, exclusive action direct from the house, and more classic BB moments than you can shake a stick at.

What’s more, Big Brother wants to hear from you. Do you have a burning question for Davina? How about an idea for a task? Or maybe you’d simply like to post a comment telling us who your favourite Housemate of all time is. This year, Big Brother will be alive and kicking online like never before.

Jade: As Seen On TV
Tuesday 26th May 2009, 10pm, E4
Jade celebrated her 21st birthday as one of the 14 housemates in Big Brother 3 in 2002. Almost voted out by viewers in her first week, she was saved by fellow housemates and eventually came fourth in the series.
Defying expectations, she managed to carve out a lucrative career as a celebrity personality, frequently appearing in gossip magazines, tabloids, television shows and specials. Although more than 3,000 contestants have now taken part in Big Brother in over 50 countries, Jade Goody is the only one known around the globe and to have achieved such a sustained media career, having earned millions in the six years since she first appeared on television screens.
From Jade’s impoverished start in life through to her worldwide fame, the programme traces the incidents and events that kept her on the front pages, featuring interviews with family, friends, close colleagues and commentators to ask how she became so well-known – and why she inspired such contrary feelings from the public.
Interviewees include: Jade’s mother Jackiey Budden; ‘surrogate’ stepfather Mark Fuller; close friends Charlene Hull and Kate Jackson; her personal PR Max Clifford, alongside Heat’s Lucie Cave; OK’s Phil Gould; journalists Miranda Sawyer and Rod Liddle and broadcaster John Stapleton.
Two months after the 27-year-old mother of two lost her battle against cervical cancer, this one hour film – featuring some never-before-seen archive of Jade – attempts to understand the Goody phenomenon, and asks if her background, class and lack of education was the real reason her detractors detested her so much – and why it caused others to affectionately compare her to Princess Diana.

Big Brother’s Big Quiz
Friday 29th May 2009, 10pm, E4
To celebrate Big Brother's 10th year, and to mark the launch of the new series of the iconic show, Davina McCall hosts a special one off comedy quiz show celebrating all things Big Brother.

Quiz captains Jason Manford, Jamelia, Jack Whitehall and Bob Mortimer team up with some of the most memorable of housemates over the years to face questions about tasks, tantrums, relationships, life after Big Brother and much more.

There will be unexpected twists and surprises, and – with the return of such familiar faces as Nikki Grahame, 'Nasty' Nick Bateman, Brian Belo, Derek Laud and Makosi Musambasi - it's a programme that no devoted Big Brother fan will want to miss.

Big Brother: A Decade in the Headlines
Tuesday 2nd June, 10pm, E4
Journalist Grace Dent takes a look at the impact that ten years of Big Brother – from a little-known show that saw ten housemates enter an environment of 24/7 filming to a worldwide-brand and the biggest reality show that has never been far from the headlines.

Featuring interviews with Mark Frith, Paul Flynn, Carole Malone, Oona King, Peter Tatchell, Krishnan Guru-Murthy, Ian Hyland and a load of ex BB housemates, Big Brother: A Decade in the Headlines examines how Big Brother has affected celebrity, diversity, and television.

DAVINA McCALL INTERVIEW
The following interview can only be used to publicise the launch of Big Brother and must include the credit – Big Brother starts Thursday 4th June, 9pm, C4

Big Brother is coming up again. Does that mean you're pregnant?
Not pregnant this time! I think there must be a rumour every year now. My parents even called me up this year to ask me.

You're on TV a lot, particularly during the summer. Do your kids think everyone's mummy is on TV?
No, because they don't ever see me on the telly. Big Brother is on too late for them, and they're too young. They have been to Big Brother, but their best bit of that was going to see the special effects people at Elstree, where they met R2-D2, C-3P0, Darth Vader, Ewoks, the whole gamut. They couldn't care less about my job or Big Brother. But my daughter Holly was quite worried that I kissed Doctor Who on Comic Relief. I had to do a lot of explaining.

Speaking of offspring, your other baby, Big Brother, is ten years old this year. Can you believe it's been so long?
I don't think so, because it doesn't feel old. It always feels fresh to me. I spoke to the producer today, and he told me something that absolutely made me gasp. I love the fact that Big Brother can still make me gasp.

Even if we were to torture you, you wouldn't tell us what it was that made you gasp, would you?
Nope, of course not. It would ruin it, and you wouldn't like it as much if you knew what was coming. It wouldn't be as exciting.

You have an almost proprietorial attitude towards the show, don't you? It really means a lot to you.
Yeah. I've loved hosting it over the years. It's a bit like Claudia Winkleman belongs to It Takes Two or Simon Cowell and X-Factor. I think because I've watched every single episode of every single series of Big Brother. I feel intrinsically linked to it. And I'm really close to the people that work on it. A lot of the people have worked on every series. We're all mates, I love these people. That continuity is really nice. In my business, you often move from show to show and don't have a chance to strike up a relationship. So it's just the best jolly. And I don't think summer is summer without Big Brother.

What do you remember of the first ever night of transmission of Big Brother?
I remember the feeling of wondering if it was going to work. I knew I thought it was interesting, but I wondered if anyone else would think so. But what I thought was funny about the first series was that it got picked up as an interesting social experiment, and some of the broadsheets were covering it, saying it was a really interesting programme. Obviously it's not cool for them to do that any more. Sometimes they dip their toe in, but they take it out again pretty quickly. I just remember questioning whether people would get it – and they totally did.

Did you have any inkling that it would go on to become the major phenomenon that it has done?
No, you never know. I've done programmes that I thought were going to be great, and they didn't catch on, and then I've done programmes that I thought would do incredibly badly. God's Gift, for example – I know it was on in the middle of the night, but it had quite a cult following and I remember thinking "This is potentially the end of my career." But it worked. You never really know if something is going to work or not.

Who have been your favourite contestants over the years?
Well, last year had quite a lot of my favourites. This is contentious, but I did love Rex. I just did. When he just used to look at Nicole and go [puts on voice] "what's wrong with you?" It was that sort of bolshie chef thing and the arrogance that was kind of brilliant. As well as the Luke and Bex romance, which is still going! I saw Luke the other day – he’s gone sort of Indie rock star – he's got long hair and everything. Helen and Paul are one of my favourite couples. Nadia was one of my favourite winners. She was so lovely, and so overjoyed to win, it meant so much to her – so much more than the money. And Craig, as well, giving that money away when he came out – that was really special. And Brian winning it as well – that meant a lot to him in so many ways more than just the money.

While we're talking about past contestants, there's one who was in the news a lot earlier this year, Jade…
I think Jade's passing was just sad for everyone, really sad. I don’t really feel comfortable discussing it – it was just very sad.

Let's move on to your outfits. They've received a lot of attention over the years.
Oh God. I know, it's so funny, isn't it.

Do you choose them yourself, or do you have a stylist?
I have a brilliant stylist called AJ, and we choose outfits together. It's funny how much outfits polarise people. I sometimes look at the 'What was she thinking?' column in a magazine and think 'I quite like that one. Is that wrong?' I mean, look at me. Right now I'm wearing an all-in-one pantaloon harem trouser - Hammertime! Not everyone's cup of tea, but I love a play suit. It's good to try something different, and wear something that people will either love or hate. At least they'll feel something. I'd much rather that than just be bland.

Do you ever turn down something because it's too outlandish?
No, but I would turn something down because it was too 'mutton'. I’ve come to an age where I have to be a little bit careful about how I look, in terms of dressing too young.

Do you get to keep your outfits?
Well, if I rip, tear or soil them in any way, generally speaking I have to buy it. Sometimes if I've got a really good relationship with the designers, and I wear their stuff a lot, then they'll give me a couple of things. I'm not like an actress who gets stuff delivered to their door. I don't have a model's figure, I don't fit sample sizes, and I'm of an age where I'm not going to be in all the glossy magazines on a weekly basis. So I don't get reams and reams of free clothing – but what I get I cherish.

You said you're not an actress, but you had a star turn in Dead Set, the zombie horror set in the Big Brother house. Was that fun to make?
It was amazing. To me, it felt like that – a clearing of any kind of anger or anxiety from your mind. I literally just spent all day punching doors, kicking doors, running, screaming, banging, headbutting… By the end of it I felt cleansed. They should have a zombie spa or something, where you can go and feel really good about yourself.

When the contestants come out of the house, the crowd can be very hostile. Do you always feel sorry for them, or do you sometimes think 'You reap what you sew’?
It's a bit of both. In my heart, I know that the crowd is playing. If you're there at an eviction night, you know that it's never real hatred. It often depends on how they play it when they come out. I've seen people be booed the second they come out of the house, and by the time they reach the round podium, people are cheering. That's why I always say in their ear 'It's just panto - it doesn't mean anything.' And whatever you think of them, we need villains – the housemates that you loathe are great housemates. We need people to stir things up. That's what makes it. And the crowd are part of it all too – it's all a bit of a joke – I've never seen true animosity.

One of the difficult aspects of your job must be conducting the eviction interviews. People have always got an opinion about whether you've got the tone of the interview right, don't they?
Yes, they usually think I'm being too soft. Friends of mine will often have a go at me about that, and I love that, because it makes me realise how much they care about the programme. But, at the end of the day, I work for Big Brother, and we asked them to go into that house. I have to get them to answer my questions appropriately. I can't just roast them. It's not like going on Newsnight where you expect Jeremy Paxman to roast you because that's what he does. We have asked those people to go there, and they've given up enormous parts of their life to go in there, and they've entertained us. I would like to think that I can ask difficult questions but sometimes I like to ask a really difficult question with a bit of a smile.

Looking back, are there any interviews that you would do differently if you had the chance?
No. There are ones that I've been criticised for but I'm pleased with the job I've done, definitely.

What do you do in the way of homework? You say you've seen every single episode of Big Brother - do you watch it every night, or do you get in on eviction day and watch a whole batch?
[Recoils in mock horror] No, no! I watch every night. I have been known sometimes, if it's really good – like things brewing on the romance front – to leave the dinner table at a friend's house. And other people have joined me. Sometimes we do an early supper and then we all watch together. I often have people at my house every night at 10pm because they know that I have the hotline through to the producers. Because it's often like 24 – they leave you with a cliff-hanger at the end of the show – and you have to know what happened, so I'll phone the producers and find out what happened that day, and then announce to everyone "They snogged!"

What can you tell us about the forthcoming series? Go on, spill the beans, don't give us a load of flannel.
Um… I can tell you it's on this summer. It'll be really good. It's on every day. Um… oh yeah, I'm doing Big Brother's Big Mouth.

You've done that before, haven't you?
Yeah, I have. It's good fun, because it's a bit freer than Big Brother, and I can show my passion.

It always looks quite chaotic. Is it?
It's completely chaotic. But I think that's the joy of it. It's crowd management actually, because there are always some very passionate fans on, who love that programme and get really riotous. I'm going to get a naughty step if they misbehave.

And you're hosting a Big Brother quiz aren't you?
I am, yes – I think it's on the week before Big Brother starts. The contestants are ex-housemates, and it's going to be everything to do with past series.

You'd be a brilliant contestant on that, presumably.
Well, you'd think so, but no! I answered questions on it for Comic Relief, against David Tennant, asked by John Humphries. And I know he loathes Big Brother, and he loves Doctor Who, so I was bricking it right from the start. I already felt like I was on to a loser. And I was so nervous I just couldn't answer any of the questions. So I'd be rubbish. I'd much rather be the quiz master, and look all holier-than-thou and go "Oh this is really easy!" I'm going to say that before every question. "This is soooo easy!"

Looking ahead, then, what are your ambitions for the forthcoming series?
Just more of the same. I don't need Big Brother to change too radically. It's the housemates that bring the freshness in. I do like them suffering a bit – because then the joys are more joyful. So I don't want life to be too easy.

More electric shocks!
God yes! And the other task I keep thinking about that was so awesome last year was the Japanese table tennis. The tasks are absolutely breathtaking. They are amazing. People ask me if I have any input on the tasks. Are you kidding me? How would I think up anything as amazing as that? It was all brilliant. Thriller, Okay Go, Scotch Bonnets…

How long are you going to keep presenting Big Brother for?
If you have new people in it every time, I don't see that it will get boring. And if you look at other reality TV programmes, they are consistently taking tasks that were done on Big Brother over the summer and reinventing them for their show. This show is an innovator, it doesn't copy other programmes. It's unique, it's innovative and it's interesting, and as long as it stays like that I don't see why it can't carry on. And if it carries on, I'm bloody doing it!

GEORGE LAMB INTERVIEW
The following interview can only be used to publicise the launch of Big Brother’s Little Brother and must include the credit – Big Brother’s Little Brother starts Friday 5th June, 6pm, E4

Big Brother is ten years old this year. Have you always been a fan of the show?
I was a fan at the beginning, but I’ve not been a fan of anything for a full 10 years, to be honest! So I didn’t always watch every episode of every series, but it’s kind of omnipresent – you’re always aware of what’s going on, and the last few weeks can draw you in. It’s a phenomenal beast, really.

The show’s always evolving, isn’t it?
When it first started, it was more of a social experiment – that’s what it felt like – it was like watching research in a science lab, and watching the way people reacted. Then I think there was a point where people were going in with game plans and it all became a bit contrived. So I think the answer to that is that Big Brother has to up its game. There were a couple of years in the middle where maybe they didn’t know how to respond to the people coming in with game plans, but now they’ve figured out how to do that. Certainly the last few years, they’ve got it right back on track. When I came in last year, people were saying “Oh, Big Brother’s over,” and the production team certainly showed that it’s not over. They put it back on the map a bit. I think that was down to the tasks and the people they picked.

And of course it was down to the new presenter of BBLB, as well!
Yeah, that’s what a lot of people were saying, of course! No, I don’t think I had anything to do with the success of the show last year, but BBLB was a lot of fun and we had a nice time doing it. It was always going to be tough taking over from Dermot, it was definitely his show. As a presenter, I’ve found over the years that the longer you do a show the better it becomes. You have to get into the psyche of the people watching the show, and they don’t like anything that’s unfamiliar. But every time I get into a taxi now or I’m in a café or whatever, someone will say “I really enjoyed it. I wasn’t sure about you at the beginning, but I really like you now.” So I’m really looking forward to doing it again, for sure.

You mentioned Dermot. BBLB was his baby, for a long time. It must be quite a difficult balance for you to strike, wanting to put your own stamp on it, but also wanting to keep a sense of continuity.
I think the format dictates that continuity. Ultimately you have to come out all guns blazing and do it your way. There were two of us doing it when we started out last time, and we were always going to be finding our feet a little bit, but I certainly feel like in the latter part of the summer, and then during Celebrity Big Brother. I felt like I was on it, and I got it, and I knew it inside out. It’s that familiarity with the show and the format that allows you to feel comfortable and do whatever you want with it. You’re not going to try anything out of the ordinary at the beginning, because people are waiting for you to fall flat on your face.

Do you get involved in coming up with a lot of the different ideas for the show?
Not that much. You help fine-tune the ideas, but it moves too quickly, there’s too much to do. We’ve got four teams on Little Brother alone, and they’re working days in advance. They’re absolutely glued to what’s going on in the Big Brother house. I might chip in the odd idea, but I certainly can’t take the credit for all the good work that they do.

Who have been the best guests that you’ve had on the show?
I know he’s almost like a regular contributor, but I love Iain Lee. I had a really good rap with him, he came back every week and we built a really nice relationship, so that was a lot of fun. Tito Jackson was quite interesting – it’s a bit odd to be talking to one of the Jacksons, but I’ve always been a fan. What else? Lisa from last year – man that was a weird experience! Most people when they come on to the show you have five or ten minutes, you have nice exchanges, you may not have each other in absolute stitches or get to know each other that well, but there’s always a pleasant vibe. But Lisa was a very peculiar lady. She was kind of in awe of the whole set up. “I can’t believe I’m on BBLB.” “Well, you are on BBLB, and now you need to talk to me!” I’d ask her a question, and she’d just be totally spaced out. It was really surreal.

How do you stay on top of what’s going on in the house?
I watch it. A lot.

Every night?
I watch it in the day, just before we do our dress rehearsal.

I imagine you don’t have a lot of time in the summer, what with BBLB and your 6 Music radio show.
I have no free time. None!

How did that go last summer? You must have been shattered.
I didn’t know I was getting Big Brother, so I’d already signed up for a fashion show with ITV. I was doing Monday to Friday Big Brother and the radio, Saturdays on the fashion show, and then Sunday on Big Brother again. I was in bits. I had three days off all summer. It was horrible. I’m not doing that again. I’ve got every Saturday off. You’ve got to be fit to do it all. I was hiking in Nepal just before last summer. This time I’m trying to sign up to the New York marathon, so I’ve got a real impetus to get fit and get in good shape. I should be okay, I’m a young boy. There are guys out there breaking roads for 14-hours-a-day. I think I should be alright.

You get to stamp your own personality on BBLB. Is that one of the things you like about the show?
Yeah, definitely. When you first start, you’re just another of these presenters who comes out and says the words at the right time and smiles at the right points. Then gradually you feel like you can be stupid and beckon the camera over where you want it to go and stuff. The guys who do BBLB have been doing it for ever, so they’re totally cool to free-form and wing it a little bit. To be a presenter, I think you have to be as you are in your own living room. The kind of presenter I want to be is like that, a lot more open and genuine. And when you first start, if you trip up, you freeze. Now, if I trip up, I just make it a gag, its part of the show. You just have to roll with it.

Your dad is Larry Lamb, who plays Archie in EastEnders and Mick in Gavin & Stacey. When you’re out together, who gets more people coming up to them?
Oh, dad, in a heartbeat! Archie Mitchell is royalty. I was at the airport a few weeks ago, and there were two young lads, and one of them said “Hello, George, how are you doing?” and we had a chat. And his mate said “Who’s that?” And he said “Oh, it’s George Lamb, he does Big Brother and Radio 6...” he named half my resume, basically, and his mate went “Nah. No idea.” And he said “You know, he’s Archie Mitchell’s son.” And the guy went “Oh my GOD, you’re Archie Mitchell’s son, oh my GOD!” So Archie’s winning hands down, for sure.

I read your dad cried when he heard you’d got the BBLB job. Is that true?
Chances are, yeah. He cries quite easily. He just gets hyped about watching his son go off and do well, as any parent does. He was massively happy. I’m sure he did cry, actually.

Does he watch the show?
Yeah, a bit. He watches it to critique me more than anything. My mum always says ‘It’s too fast paced, there’s too much jumping around’. But it’s not really geared for a 60+ audience. But they watch it to support me, and they come down and watch me. He films just round the corner at the BBC, so he pops in and says hello.

Your outfits on the show got a fair amount of attention. You’ve got a fine line in tailoring, don’t you?
Yes. All my own work! No, it’s all down to that fellow over there, Sauvage [points to a dapper-looking gentleman leaning against a wall] who’s my stylist. What happened recently was that he went down to my agent’s to talk about another one of his clients, and a bunch of people who work there saw him leave. And they told me later “This really stylish black guy came in, he had to bow tie, he had the trousers rolled up, he was properly on your style.” And I thought “Yeah, he’ll love that!” It’s his doing, not mine! He’s all over fashion, and thinking about ways to push it forward a little bit. When I first wore the bow ties there was a whole hoo-ha about it. But this year, all of the windows have got bow ties and braces in them. People like Sauvage can always spot the trends really early. And I’m fortunate enough to be able to benefit from his knowledge. It’s good to do something a bit different. There’s nothing wrong with just a great suit and looking smart, but not every day. You’ve got to put a little bit of a twist on it.

What are your hopes for BBLB this summer?
I hope it’s as much fun as the last six or eight weeks of last summer were, and as fun as Celebrity was. I loved going into work and doing that stuff. I love the buzz of doing live television. I stand in the same place every day, and the same dude counts me down, ‘Five, four, three, two, one, you’re live!’ and you just launch into it. I hope everybody enjoys it, I hope it’s not too contrived in the house, I hope everybody has fun. You can’t really do much if they’re not doing much. So more than anything I hope they’re having a nice time in the house. If they’re having a nice time, we’re going to have a great time.

Or, alternatively, if they’re not having a nice time, we can enjoy that too.
Yeah, that’s true. Whatever. Just as long as they’re having a time. But a boring time is no good. So long as they’re having fun or rucking a lot, we’ll have a great time.

C4’s Commissioning Editor for Big Brother, David Williams talks all things BB

You did auditions through YouTube this year, how do you think they went? Do you think it reached a new type of auditionee?
We were totally blown away by the response to our online auditions. For our first attempt at anything like this to become the most successful upload contest that YouTube have ever run with a partner in the UK is amazing. We had a huge range of people apply, from hard core Big Brother fans to an entirely difference audience, people who were unlikely to attend our nationwide open auditions.

Can you tell us anything about the new house or the new housemates; it’s usually shrouded in secrecy?
I would hate to be the one to spoil the magic of our launch show, when our fans get to see exactly who will be stepping out of their car and what their new home is going to look like for the first time. What I can say is that even after 10 different houses and over 140 housemates, Big Brother has found some never-seen-before characters and our new housemates might just be in for a shock…

What do you look for in a housemate?
There’s no magic formula for a potential housemate, but each of them has to provoke some kind of reaction in you when you meet them. You might find something intriguing about them and want to know more… or you just may never want to see them again!

How much time do you actually spend with the potential housemates before deciding whether they should enter the house? Do they always turn out how you expected once the show starts?
The Big Brother producers do the most amazing job in finding out pretty much everything there is to know about the potential housemates and spending time with them in a variety of situations. However, even with all the time and research in the world, you never really know how a housemate will react once they are in the house and once they have met their fellow housemates… and that’s what I think is the most exciting part of Big Brother.

Now in its tenth series what do you think it is that keeps the show successful?
It’s down to the housemates pure and simple. No one year of Big Brother is like any other because of the housemates. If we do our job and find some fascinating and infuriating new folk to spend our summer with, then the series keeps feeling fresh.

After ten years do you have a favourite series? What or who has made the show a good experience for you?
I honestly don’t think I can pick one series as my favourite. But, if I could create my own fantasy Big Brother series, it would probably have the fun and games of Kate, Johnny and Jade from Big Brother 3, with the agonising relationship drama of Rex and Nicole from last year, all under the evil eye of Big Brother from series 5, complete with cold showers and sprinklers in the garden!

If you had to describe Big Brother as a person what would you say?
Big Brother is like that teacher at school who you could never get the better of… and secretly had a small crush on.

There is often a theme for each series; will there be a special theme to mark the tenth anniversary this year?
We’ve got some very special shows to launch the series which will be looking back at 10 roller coasting years of Big Brother and when we hit the big day itself, we’ll be sure to mark the occasion in fitting style. But once the new series launches, it will be business as usual for Big Brother and our unsuspecting housemates.

Where are the now?*

There have been 144 housemates to grace through the doors of Big Brother. The first few years saw those just wanting to experience life within the house, next came the ones seeking fame and fortune – but where are the former housemates now after their 15 minutes of fame?

*Big Brother’s extensive research online about what the former housemates are currently up to following their time on the show may contain some urban myths...

BB1

Craig: as the winner of BB, Craig was destined for big things and ended up involved in a number of DIY television shows as the presenter or resident DIY expert, most recently working on 60 Second Makeover for ITV. Craig’s autobiography will reveal all this summer.

Anna: Irish Anna made it big after coming second in the show and is now a TV presenter in Ireland.

Darren: Darren decided to retrain as a flight attendant and ended up appearing on a few episodes of ITV’s Airline.

Melanie: after splitting with Alex (BB3) the two embarked on a bitter custody battle over their pet dog Poppy. Since then Mel has tried her hand at journalism and has written pieces for Marie Claire.

Tom and Claire: These two got together post BB and even had a baby boy. They gave up on Blighty and moved over to Spain where they worked on a property website. They have since split up.

Nichola: Nichola tried her hand at music and released a single named The Game. After this failed to take off she become an adult star.

Caroline: Caroline was never seen without her makeup on in the house so it is no surprise to learn that she has since managed an imaging makeover studio.

Andy: Had a brief spell presenting a Channel 5 business programme but can now be found working as a brand consultant.

Sada: as the first ever ejectee from the UK BB house fame didn’t beckon for Sada who is now a waitress. She did write a book about relationships called Babes Bible.

Nick: Emerging from the house as Nasty Nick, he went on to present Channel 4 show Trust Me. He has also written a book aptly titled How to be a Right Bastard and now writes travel features. He is now happily married and in his spare time concentrates on property development.

BB2

Brian: Crowned the winner of BB2 Brian left his air stewarding days behind him. He has since presented numerous television shows, most recently 100 Cheesy Pop Videos and the spin off Cirque de Celebrite show. He has also recently been filling in for Ben Shepherd on Heat Radio.

Helen: Helen left the house and got together with fellow housemate Paul. After a five year-relationship the pair split up but Helen has since gone back to her roots and is now co-owner of a hair salon.

Dean: Since leaving the house Dean released a book about his experience on reality TV, Living in the Box and now works in interior design.

Elizabeth: As one of the quieter members of the house Elizabeth continued working as a web designer after leaving the programme. She also travelled Europe on a motorbike to raise money for charity and has tried her hand at journalism.

Paul: After a short spell of television work and after his split from Helen, Paul has returned to his original job as a car designer.

Josh: Even though he entered the house halfway through Josh still made it to sixth place. He has since set up his own property website aimed specifically at gay people.

Amma: Since leaving the house Amma tried to make it in the music industry, writing songs. There are rumours she has returned to lap dancing.

Bubble: Bubble and Dean released a song, Standing Tall, at the time of the World Cup in 2002. He has also worked in TV and radio, appearing in the 2004 The Office Christmas Special. Other acting roles have included Christmas panto.

Narinder: TV work looked promising when Narinder first left the house with a few presenting roles and even wrote a book about Big Brother but she has now left the hustle and bustle of London to be closer to her family in Newcastle.

Stuart: Stuart went on to set up a website with fellow contestant Dean, teabagbin.com, an innovative way to dispose of used tea bags. He now works as a freelance communications Consultant

Penny: Penny quit her teaching job after leaving the Big Brother house after complaints of her appearing naked on television. However, a few years down the line and Penny is now back to teaching drama.

BB3

Kate: After a number of TV presenting roles Kate has made a name for herself as a DJ in various clubs across the country. She has even got herself a spot on Kerrang! radio as well as a number of modelling gigs.

Jonny: As one of the most popular housemates Jonny made numerous TV appearances after leaving the house. He was last seen taking part in a British Gas advert but as well as acting Jonny has been working as a computer programmer for Siemens.

Alex: Alex continued modelling after leaving the Big Brother house appearing in a number of TV commercials. He has since been working as a journalist for a local newspaper.

Jade: Jade was one of the most successful contestants ever to emerge from the Big Brother house signing TV and book deals, creating her own perfumes and entering into a number of high profile business ventures. Sadly, Jade was diagnosed with cervical cancer in 2008 and passed away on Mother’s Day 2009.

Tim: Tim completed his business degree three weeks before entering the house and moved to South Africa shortly after leaving to put his skills to good use. He now works in banking.

PJ: As a law student PJ continued to his original vision post BB and is now a criminal defence lawyer. However, immediately after leaving the house he tried out radio work, presenting at a station in Birmingham.

Adele: Adele was a DJ before she entered the house and has carried on her profession up until today presenting for a radio station in Leeds.

Sophie: Sophie joined the house after Sunita decided to walk voluntarily. She got together with Lee post BB and the two got married and had a baby together, the second UK BB baby. They have since split up and Sophie is now a single mum.

Spencer: Spencer’s good looks got him noticed in the show and he has been working as a model ever since leaving.

Lee: As a fitness instructor before BB fame beckoned Lee continued his work and set up his own personal training business.

Alison: Even though she was evicted quite early from the house Alison made an impression. She now has a regular slot on ITV’s This Morning presenting the entertainment segment.

Sandy: Sandy was the first housemate to escape, climbing over the wall rather than walking out the door. He has since resumed his role as a personal shopper and has presumed to have changed his name to step away from BB fame.

Sunita: Sunita only lasted a few days in the house before she decided to walk. She went back to her original career working as a lawyer.

Unknown: Lynne

BB4

Cameron: Cameron still gets booked to speak at events five years after winning BB. He also does lots of writing and broadcasting for the BBC in Aberdeen.

Ray: Ray opted to move back to his native Ireland after leaving the house. He bagged himself a radio show shortly after and is now a celebrity over there.

Scott: Inside the house he formed a close relationship with Nush but this didn’t last long outside. Little is known about Scott nowadays but it is rumoured he has written a play.

Steph: Steph put her brief fame to a good cause and took part in a number of charity events after leaving the show. She has since been working as a welfare officer.

Nush: Things took a turn for the worse for Nush who was attacked shortly after leaving the house resulting in numerous operations on her leg. She is now fully recovered and working in television production.

Lisa: Lisa will forever been known for her claim to be able to ‘kill with two fingers’. She dated James Hewitt after leaving the house and little is known about her whereabouts today.

Gos: Gos was the house cook and is still using his skills today working as a chef.

Tania: Before even entering the house Tania was already out on the celebrity circuit, even dating Katie Price’s now ex, Peter Andre. After leaving the house she got engaged to a footballer and when on to have a baby. She is now single and caring for her child.

Jon: Jon originally went back to his old job but TV work soon beckoned. He most famously presented Sky One’s Braniac.

Frederico: Since leaving the house ladies man Frederico has done various TV work and modelling. He has since been rumoured to have moved to the music industry, managing bands.

Sissy: As the loudest housemate from this series Sissy went on to design her own fashion range once the show finished. Her current activities are unknown.

Justine: It was rumoured Justine went on to date BB1’s Nasty Nick. They have since split up and Justine is now a shop assistant in Leeds.

Anouska: Anouska only lasted a few days in the house before being evicted. She then went into the Australian BB house to liven things up for them. Since then she has done some modelling work and gone back to university to study psychology.

BB5

Nadia: After winning the show Nadia released a single A Little Bit of Action in 2004. She has since appeared in the BB house in Australia where she cried when they asked her if she was a man or a woman. It is now rumoured she has moved back to her native Portugal where she is writing her autobiography.

Jason: Jason went travelling round Spain and India with his BB earnings. On his return he went back to work as a personal trainer.

Dan: Dan turned theatrical on his release from the house and starred in Abbamania: We Say Thank You for the Music. He also concentrated on his electro band Ice House Project before returning to Hull as a hairdresser.

Shell: When asked what she would like to know from the outside world during her time in the house Shell answered she would love to know her degree results. Consequently Big Brother informed her she had passed with first class honours and she has since put this to good use. Shell now lives in America and works for the Guggenheim.

Stuart: Stuart started a relationship with Michelle in the house which lasted a year after the show finished. He unsuccessfully auditioned for boy band Son of Dork but has completed his studies at Leeds University.

Michelle: Michelle built up a high profile career in the glamour industry following her split from fellow housemate Stuart.

Victor: In his time since leaving the show Victor appeared in a number of TV programmes most recently, Celebrity Poker Club. It is thought he is now working in finance training to be a stock broker.

Ahmed: Ahmed has returned to his roots doing the same job he did before entering the house, working in property.

Becki: Becki only lasted 12 days in the house but since leaving she has worked in radio and is now working as a hairdresser.

Marco: Forming the group, the Lip Gloss Bitches, on leaving the house Marco attended Kingston University to train as a lawyer.

Vanessa: After leaving the house Vanessa dated TV presenter Ben Fogle. She also had breast implants and starred in a number of photo shoots. Vanessa now works as a PA.

Emma: After being removed from the house for aggressive behaviour Emma made a number of TV appearance alongside fellow contestant Michelle. She was last seen working as a waitress in a London restaurant.

Kitten: As the first contestant to ever be booed on the way into the house it was no surprise that Kitten wasn’t popular with the public. She has since left England and moved to Australia.

BB6

Anthony: As the winner of BB6 Anthony still makes appearances at different nightclubs. He still dances and is also DJs.

Eugene: Eugene has carried on his work as a ‘techie’. He now freelancers as a broadcast engineer across a number of radio stations with Nile FM in Cairo even getting him on air to talk about Big Brother.

Makosi: Makosi’s time post BB has been every bit as eventful as her time spent in the house. Since 2005 newspaper reports alleged that she has worked as a call girl, starred in a movie, had an affair with Russell Brand, fought deportation officials to stay in the UK, and most recently accused her of faking a romance to gain expensive gifts.

Kinga: Kinga was most famous in the house for her garden antics with an empty wine bottle. However she seems to have calmed down and after a brief romance with fellow contestant Kemal she has lost three stone and now works as a PA.

Craig: Craig has stuck to his original profession, hairdressing, since leaving the house and now runs his own salon in Norfolk.

Derek: As a former conservative parliamentary candidate it is no surprise that Derek is still involved in politics. He now spends his time writing for politicians.

Kemal: After a brief relationship with Kinga, Kemal put his creativity into use and set up his own fashion jewelry website.

Science: Science is rumored to have briefly dated his housemate Vanessa after leaving the house. Since then he has kept a low profile.

Maxwell: Maxwell and Saskia got together whilst in the house and stayed a couple for a while after. He has now trained as an electrician.

Saskia: Since splitting from Maxwell Saskia has been trying to launch her modeling career.
Roberto: After leaving the house Roberto starred in a photo shoot with BB5’s Vanessa. He has since turned his back on fame and is teaching special needs children in Liverpool.

Sam: Never seen out of her bikini in the house it’s no surprise that Sam featured in a number of lad mags. She did however turn down the chance to appear in Playboy magazine. She is now working as a PA.

Lesley: Lesley not only lost a lot of weight after leaving the house she also planned to launch a music career. This seems to have fallen through and she has since passed a diploma in counseling and was last seen planning on doing a hair and beauty course.

Mary: As the only white witch in the house Mary still has her powers and uses them to do tarot reading.

Unknown: Vanessa, Orlaith

BB7

Pete: Pete and Nikki got together in the house after she was evicted but then voted back into the show. They have since split up and Pete got back together with his previous girlfriend, Cherry. He is now touring with his band Pete Bennet and the Love Dogs.

Glynn: Glynn has made the most of his celebrity status since leaving the house as the runner up. He has made several appearances on Welsh TV and radio. He is now attending Cardiff University.

Aisleyne: Aisleyne has enjoyed her celebrity status since her departure from the house attending many exclusive parties. She has also made a number of TV appearances including BBC3’s Snog, Marry, Avoid and Dead Set for Channel 4.

Richard: For two years after leaving the house Richard and fellow housemate Lea had their own radio show on Gaydar radio. He has also started working as an agony aunt for Boyz magazine and plans to launch his own celebrity gossip website.

Nikki: Nikki bagged herself her very own Channel 4 TV show after leaving the house, Princess Nikki. Since then she still makes regular TV and modelling appearances.

Jennie: Jennie is virtually unheard of at the moment but after leaving the house she did a raunchy photo shoot for Zoo magazine and appeared alongside runner up Glynn in Ready, Steady, Cook.

Imogen: Imogen is still a regular lad’s mags favourite. She opened a nail bar in Cardiff which Welsh TV channel S4C filmed a documentary about.

Susie: The Golden ticket winner starred in a couple of adverts after leaving the house but has since returned to her day job as a housewife…still drinking lots of tea presumably.

Mikey: Mikey has made it as a successful DJ, doing the rounds on the club circuit. He’s certainly doing something right playing at venues including Ministry of Sound, Miss Moneypenny’s, Eden in Ibiza and BCM’s in Majorca. He has also modelled.

Spiral: The rapper who was ridiculed for his lyrics while in the house has since gone onto work as a DJ in Ireland.

Michael: Michael was the 100th UK housemate to enter the house and finished joint tenth with Spiral after an eviction twist. He has since kept a low profile and gone back to university.

Lea: Lea worked on Gaydar radio for two years with Richard after her departure. The pair also hosted a number of pride events before Lea decided to release a book on body dismorphia.

Lisa: Lisa was known as a bit of a tomboy in the house and she continued her apprenticeship after the show, now working as a plumber.

Grace: Even after being evicted from the house so early in the series hasn’t stopped Grace from making a name for herself. She recently won Cirque de Celebrite and now owns her own dance school. She is engaged to Mikey.

Sam: Cross-dressing Sam has kept a low profile since leaving the house but has rumoured to have fathered a child.

Sezer: Sezer was voted out of the house with the then biggest vote. He was acquitted of an alleged rape charge and is now working in finance.

Bonnie: Bonnie was the first to enter the house and the first to leave. She didn’t pick up much interest post eviction (apart from tabloid interest into an unpaid pizza bill) and is now a care worker.

George: George was the second housemate to leave the house voluntarily claiming he wanted to keep his private life private. Since then he has gone back to university and worked in numerous jobs including media relations and as a bar manager.

Dawn: Was evicted from the house for rule braking.

Unknown: Shabaz, Jonathan, Jayne

BB8

Brian: Brian dated twin Amanda after winning the show but the pair succumbed to the BB curse and have since split up. Brian still makes regular TV appearances.

Samanda: The twins have been very successful since leaving the house with rumours of an album release. The pair have also become official ambassadors for Hello Kitty online and they write a weekly fashion column for Love It magazine.

Liam: After winning £100,000 during his stay in the house Liam didn’t let the money go to his head and used some of it to help his family. He was last seen presenting on Heat Radio discussing Big Brother 9 with Ziggy.

Ziggy: Ziggy split up with Chanelle shortly after leaving the house and has been in a number of high profile relationships since including with Hollyoaks’ Jennifer Metcalf. Last year Ziggy co hosted a Heat Radio show about Big Brother alongside Liam.

Carole: Carole has returned to normality after her stint in the house and even returned to signing on the dole. She was last seen taking part in the G20 protest.

Gerry: Gerry still lives in London and has since written a book on dating.

Chanelle: Chanelle still makes many TV appearances and there are talks of her own fashion line. She is currently developing her third television programme.

Charley: Charley has made a few TV and modelling appearances and claims she has no intention of ever getting a real job again.

Emily: Emily was removed from the house for racist language. Since then she has returned to university to study acting.

Amy: Amy secured herself a number of modelling jobs since leaving the house.

Nikki: Nikki has put Big Brother days behind her and is now concentrating on charity work.

Laura: Little is known of Laura nowadays but she’s rumoured to still be in Wales… and still wearing her dressing gown.

Lesley: Lesley successfully sued The Sunday Sport over a ‘three in a bed’ sex allegation after she left the house. She has since written a book.

Shabnam: Mouthy Shabnam was rumoured to be releasing a single after her departure from the house, aptly, it was going to be Lulu’s Shout.

Jonathan: Jonathan left the house early due to a family tragedy. He has shunned the limelight and now works back in advertising.

Seany: Seany was devastated to be evicted so early on in the programme and has made a few TV appearances since, mainly for Big Brother spin off shows.

Unknown: Billi, Shanessa, Tracey, Kara-Louise, Jonty, David

BB9

Rachel: Since winning the show last year Rachel has made a number of TV appearances putting rumours of her ‘being boring’ to rest.

Michael: Mikey has been putting his new found status to good use since he was the runner up on the show. He has been working at raising money for blind charities.

Sara: Sara had Darnell lusting after her in the show so she’s put her good looks to use and is now doing modelling work.

Rex: During his stay Rex was the first to admit he was a great cook to his other house mates. It’s a good job he’s gone back to his old job as a chef.

Darnell: Darnell spent his days in the house singing songs about the other housemates. He’s put his skills to good use and plans to work in the music industry.

Mohamed: Mohammed returned to his old job, working at Hamleys.

Stuart and Dale: With their good looks and rippling biceps it’s no surprise the two of these turned to modelling.

Belinda: Belinda opted for the quiet life post BB and is now living peacefully in Devon.

Unknown: Kathreya, Lisa, Luke, Maysoon, Rebecca, Mario, Jen, Sylvia, Dennis, Alex, Stephanie, Nicole

BIG BROTHER FACTS AND FIGURES

Housemates

In total, 144 housemates have walked through the doors of Big Brother over the past nine years – 66 male and 78 female. With more female housemates it might be expected that more winners would be of the fairer sex but no, only three of the nine winners so far have been girls.

It hasn’t all be plain sailing for the housemates; some even wanted to leave voluntarily. Of the 14 housemates that have left without a public vote half of them have walked out the back door, or, in one case, climbed over the wall (Sandy). The other half were removed for breaking BB rules.

BB8 saw the most housemates ever in one BB household with 23 people all living in the house at some point over the run. With this many people you’d expect more arguments and more annoying housemates than ever but it was BB9 which saw the highest ever public vote to get one of the housemates out. This title goes to Nicole who, with 94.4% of the vote, did herself no favours with her attitude towards boyfriend Rex.

Love

Just call Big Brother ‘Cilla Black’ as there have been 14 relationships in the house over the run… unfortunately only one of these are still together, BB9’s Luke and Rebecca. But the power of BB is still strong with three couples even getting together post BB – some of whom didn’t even share a house with each other. There is also the next generation of BB being born with two BB babies – Tom and Claire (BB1) having the first UK BB baby and Lee and Sophie (BB3) having the second.

Prizes

Big Brother is a generous type, giving away over £793,500 in prize funds – this includes the £100,000 given to Liam in BB8 for just generally being a nice guy and the £50,000 Sara and Lisa split in BB9 for just generally being… nice people. Those in BB5 didn’t get off so lightly though with each task seeing them add or lose to the prize pot. They ended up with the grand total of £63,500 from a £100,000 fund. This wasn’t helped by housemate Kitten who helped the fund decrease even further by refusing to leave the house – for each minute she stayed, the money got lower and lower.

House

The last few series have seen housemates living in the house for anything up to 13 weeks but in total housemates have spent 685 days in the house which adds up to a colossal 16,440 hours.

It’s not just the number of hours or number of housemates that is impressive. Behind the scenes is a whole host of technical aspects that add up to some pretty big figures. Around 382 cameras have been used to keep an eye on the housemates over the past nine years as well as over 340 microphones and 18,000 radio mic batteries. Clearly, there is nowhere to hide in BB. To keep it all up and running over 640km of cable has been used in the set up – that is 80km longer than the English Channel.

BIG BROTHER AROUND THE WORLD

Each summer, UK Big Brother fans eagerly tune in to Channel 4 and E4 to see what’s happening in the house in Elstree. But the UK Big Brother is just one of many versions of the programme around the world. You might think the antics of British housemates are weird, funny or risqué but the overseas houses have more than their fair share of intrigue, odd behaviour and tough-talking Big Brothers. Here are ten BB facts from around the globe:

The very first Big Brother began in the Netherlands on September 16, 1999. It was an idea developed by John de Mol and by the final night, New Year’s Eve, the show had become the most watched programme of the year and the participants had become overnight celebrities.

Big Brother broke one of its most important rules – no contact with the outside world – after September 11th, as one of the housemates in the American BB House had a cousin who worked in the World Trade Center. Monica chose to stay in the house. In seven of the countries that had Big Brother on at the time, broadcasters chose not to tell the housemates.

In the first series of the Polish show Big Brother provoked a mutiny by the smokers in the house for refusing to supply any more cigarettes. As punishment Big Brother set a small fire in the compound. The only non-smoker in the house, 45-year-old Janusz Dzieciol, was the only housemate to get up and put it out. As reward for his good behaviour, Big Brother offered Janusz a personal phone call or a supply of cigarettes for the house. He went with the cigarettes and, out of gratitude, was never put forward for eviction by his fellow housemates. He went on to win the series.

BB9 UK saw fake couple Stephanie and Mario take part in a fake wedding ceremony to fool the other housemates but in the Portuguese Big Brother there was a wedding for real. After falling in love on the series the couple decided to get married during the show. After getting approval from her family they married in front of the house during a four-hour live show. Denmark also had a real wedding inside the house which was also broadcast live.

Housemates were severely tested in the fourth series of the US Big Brother when 10 of the 13 participants found themselves face to face with one of their ex-partners.

Several countries have included twins, and in some cases triplets, in their shows, without warning other housemates. At first, twins would constantly swap places until the trick was revealed or someone figured it out.

Cherise Makubale from Zambia, winner of pan-African Big Brother received a congratulatory message from President Levy Mwanawasa for her exemplary and encouraging conduct, including sweeping and cooking in the house – exactly what a ‘Zambian woman must do’.

Belgium began with 11 men and one woman entering the house. The woman had to nominate three men, one of whom was voted out the next day by viewers. The next morning a new woman entered the house and she had to do the same. This went on until six men and six women were left.

In Argentina, Diego Maradona came into the house to play football with the housemates, raising money for charitable projects such as building beds for orphanages.

The cruellest and most unusual punishments ever to be inflicted in Big Brother history was in the sixth Spanish series. Between them, seven contestants had just five days to memorise the contents of the proposed European Constitution. Housemates had to then relay the 325 page document to a non-Spanish speaking Polish woman.

BIG BROTHER HOUSEMATE QUOTES

Whether bored, tired, annoyed, drunk, or just plain stupid there have been some classic quotes to emerge from the housemates mouths. Here’s a look over the past ten years of Big Brother with through some memorable one- liners.

“W*****s. Ooh, my tourettes is in context. I love it when that happens”. Pete, BB7.

“I love learning new word and spelling them. Last week I learn three new words. I learn hilarious, H I L A R I O U S, hilarious.” Kathreya shows off her polished English skills, BB9.

“It’s not you, it’s me.” The line no man should ever mutter, Ziggy breaks Chanelle’s heart, BB8.

“No **** is going to win this.” But they did. Brian Dowling, BB2.

“I’m just dunking my custard creams into this hot, juicy tea.” Mario has viewers across the country cringing, BB9.

“Am I minging?” The immortal line uttered by Jade, BB3.

“Ah, we’re psychopathic!” Was that psychopathic or telepathic Amanda, BB8?

“I love blinking I do.” Our favourite Walsh hairdresser, Helen, BB2.

“Who is she? Who is she? Where did you get her from? I am not talking to it anymore. I can’t even look at it.” Nikki doesn’t like Susie apparently, BB7.

“It’s dog eat dog, end off.” The competition heats up for Saskia, BB6.

Word Version

THERE U GO!!!11
BoogieLand is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 10:52 PM #61

lol
Old 25-05-2009, 10:52 PM #62

Thanks
President is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 10:53 PM #63

What a unique first post
Old 25-05-2009, 10:53 PM #64
CLOSE EM!

Favourites (more):
UBB: Chantelle
BB11: Ben

CLOSE EM!

Favourites (more):
UBB: Chantelle
BB11: Ben

\PJ/ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 10:53 PM #65

Well I told you so.
Hugo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 10:53 PM #66

Favourites (more):
BBUSA16: Zach
BBCanada 2: Neda

Favourites (more):
BBUSA16: Zach
BBCanada 2: Neda

Quote:
Originally posted by ILoveMoney
You don't bite the hand that feeds you. Respect the embargo now and you'll get info throughout the series.
Brekkie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 10:53 PM #67
Banned

Banned

Quote:
What a unique first post
Kisses xo
BoogieLand is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 10:56 PM #68

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
IAC2018: Emily Atack

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
IAC2018: Emily Atack

So no DR Uncut.
BBDodge is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 10:58 PM #69

total big brother have the press pack online now.

http://totalbigbrother.com/news/the-press-pack-details/

Edit: It says its private at the moment!!! and AGAIN EDIT: its now on!!!
Old 25-05-2009, 10:58 PM #70
Banned

Favourites (more):

Banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by Brekkie
Quote:
Originally posted by ILoveMoney
You don't bite the hand that feeds you. Respect the embargo now and you'll get info throughout the series.
I know we can't bite the hand that feeds us but we can bite the other hand that is taking stuff away (Live Feed )
ILoveTRW is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 11:00 PM #71

http://www.bigbrother.tellymix.co.uk...e-details.html
Old 25-05-2009, 11:01 PM #72
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

I can honestly say the most interesting thing from that was ... Sam fathered a child? Lol.
Old 25-05-2009, 11:01 PM #73

No offence, but does everyone read the press pack word for word?
Old 25-05-2009, 11:04 PM #74
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
No offence, but does everyone read the press pack word for word?
No, I cover one eye and read it aloud ommiting every word that begins with 'W' for shits and giggles.
Old 25-05-2009, 11:04 PM #75

I do

Not much info but still

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
discussion, pack, press