Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 21-04-2014, 09:01 AM #1
You know my methods

You know my methods

Default Did you know we live in a Christian country?

if you reside in the UK?

More than 50 writers, scientists, broadcasters and academics have signed an open letter expressing concern at the 'negative consequences' of the Prime Minister's assertion in a country where most people do not describe themselves as Christian.
Signatories of the letter, published in The Daily Telegraph, include the authors Philip Pullman and Sir Terry Pratchett; broadcasters Dan Snow and Nick Ross, the philosopher AC Grayling; and the human rights activist Peter Tatchell.

It follows the article last week for the Church Times by Mr Cameron - who in the past has been reluctant to discuss religious matters - in which he wrote of his own faith and his desire to infuse politics with Christian ideals and values

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2zVeR2Y76

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 10:04 AM #2

sure

But there is No God

And letters sent
by Philip Pullman, Sir Terry Pratchett and Dan Snow to just the Telegraph
are not enough to worry about

Last edited by arista; 21-04-2014 at 10:06 AM.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 10:16 AM #3
for those who've fallen

Favourites (more):
BB14: Hazel
BB13: Deana
for those who've fallen

Favourites (more):
BB14: Hazel
BB13: Deana

ew no ty
Apple202 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 10:18 AM #4
Can I get a witness?

Favourites (more):
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle
Strictly 2019: Michelle Visage

Can I get a witness?

Favourites (more):
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle
Strictly 2019: Michelle Visage

Yes - Christians are all around where I live (including myself)
Old 21-04-2014, 10:29 AM #5
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petemitch View Post
Yes - Christians are all around where I live (including myself)
I would imagine by "all around" you really mean 5%
Old 21-04-2014, 10:35 AM #6
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

Well seeing as we have a national church which our monarch is the head of then yes I would say we live in a Christian country
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 10:36 AM #7
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Atheists really do spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about religion. If you're not religious, if you have no interest in it, let it go... and allow people to make up their own minds. Yes this is a Christian county and that has shaped who we are as a nation. That does not offend me, I see no reason why it should offend you, that idiot Tatchell nor any of the people who object.

I object to Dan Snow, getting a degree in history and then his family links allowing him to do his hobby for a living for the rest of his life when there were undoubtedly other, more worthy people with better qualifications but their father wasn't Jon Snow. I'd be willing to sign a petition against that.

Last edited by Livia; 21-04-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 10:37 AM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Atheists really do spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about religion. If you're not religious, if you have no interest in it, let it go... and allow people to make up their own minds. Yes this is a Christian county and that has shaped who we are as a nation. That does not offend me, I see no reason why it should offend you, that idiot Tatchell nor any of the people who object.

I object to Dan Snow, getting a degree in history and then his family links allowing him to do his hobby for a living for the rest of his life when there were undoubtedly other, more worthy people with better qualifications but their father wasn't Jon Snow. I'd be willing to sign a petition against that.

Yes he should stick to his job
on TV History
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 10:38 AM #9
You know my methods

You know my methods

I would imagine one would have to qualify just what they mean by Christian country.

and what a christian really is
Old 21-04-2014, 10:44 AM #10
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Why do people have to object to everything, too little to do in their lives.

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 10:46 AM #11
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Why do people have to object to everything, too little to do in their lives.
Yes lets just have a dictator and a common haircut...
Old 21-04-2014, 10:55 AM #12
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Yes lets just have a dictator and a common haircut...
Take your point, but moaning about everything is not a good look either.

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 21-04-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 21-04-2014, 11:06 AM #13
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

It's a typical 'new right' socio-political ethos. I thought it strange to have the queens speech on once and heard her rattle on about the king James bible...
It's not a case of atheists discussing religion or the blinkered perception that we have a 'national religion' it's the way we are being manipulated into thinking anyone who does not hold these Christian beliefs are in some way inferior.
It's not Christianity that creates a decent civilised society, here are a few examples that are suggested makes up what Cameron seems to crave.... Then ask yourself what his government have done to achieve that end.
Safety
Safety is a fundamental characteristic of a civilized society. The personal safety of citizens in that society should be guaranteed. This includes being protected from external forces and security within the society, from both the government, institutions and individuals. No person should fear loss of life or physical harm in civilized society.

Health Care
The right for all members of a society to have access to health care, regardless of social class or economic situation, is a staple of civilized society. Each citizen is entitled to the highest-quality health care the society is able to provide. Sadly, few nations today can legitimately claim this truth as a part of their society.

Access to Food and Water
A civilized society is one that provides the basic essentials of life to all its citizens. Granting access to food and water, so that no person will go hungry or thirsty, is another measurement of a civilized society. Many philosophers believe that how a society treats its worst off is how it should be measured.

Shelter
Basic shelter should also be provided to each citizen. Civilized society ensures that all people who live within the society are given access to a location where they can safely sleep and take refuge from the elements. Many Scandinavian countries have combated homelessness by providing government-sponsored housing for individuals living on the street.

System of Law and Government
In order for a society to function it must have an established system of laws. These laws should be designed to preserve the welfare of the common good and be for the society's best interest. The role of the government is one of an administrator, polling the needs of the society and governing according to those needs based on common interest.

Education
Education may not seem like an obvious measure, but equal access to education for all individuals is considered a strong indicator of civilized society. It is in the community's best interest to have a highly educated population. This promotes advancement, research and economic growth. The education system of a society should be equal for all and not prohibitive at any level. All citizens must be guaranteed the right to a full education and should not be discriminated from doing so based on cost, access or any other characteristic.

Freedom
Freedom is perhaps the most important mark of a civilized society, one that trumps all other units of measure. Freedom of thought, belief, word, religion, affiliation and expression -- and the guarantee of those freedoms -- is essential in a civilized society. The right to participate in the economy, government and culture of the society is akin to such freedoms.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_10027787_se...#ixzz2zW9b3xNr

I think what he means is when you have nothing and there is nowhere to turn all you can do is pray for help!
Old 21-04-2014, 11:22 AM #14
Z

Z

I'm not of a religion, it doesn't figure into my life at all, doesn't really bother me if others want to follow a religion so long as it doesn't affect me, and I offer them the same courtesy.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 11:25 AM #15
It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):
BB12: Heaven
UBB: Makosi

It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):
BB12: Heaven
UBB: Makosi

I suppose the country has a strong Christian heritage and basis to a lot of views, traditions and laws but how Christian are people nowadays really? Of the practicing Christians I know, a lot of them just seem to be paying lip service to the Church or have no interest in it, and nearly all of my friends that're my age have just rejected it altogether. I don't feel like describing us as a Christian nation is necessarily the correct term, I mean maybe I'm wrong to say that, but I just feel that because it's being eroded so rapidly that it isn't so appropriate nowadays.

Anyway Cameron's also a monumental tit for suggesting we should mix religion and politics. If he wants to espouse that view than I'm sure bible-belt America will be more than welcoming of him.

Last edited by Niall; 21-04-2014 at 11:26 AM.
Niall is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 11:32 AM #16
You know my methods

You know my methods

Its an election effort to win the DM vote. The daily mail reader is the classic "this is a christian country" mouthpiece who would never darken a church door or do anything even remotely christian..
Old 21-04-2014, 11:43 AM #17
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
It's a typical 'new right' socio-political ethos. I thought it strange to have the queens speech on once and heard her rattle on about the king James bible...
It's not a case of atheists discussing religion or the blinkered perception that we have a 'national religion' it's the way we are being manipulated into thinking anyone who does not hold these Christian beliefs are in some way inferior.
It's not Christianity that creates a decent civilised society, here are a few examples that are suggested makes up what Cameron seems to crave.... Then ask yourself what his government have done to achieve that end.
Safety
Safety is a fundamental characteristic of a civilized society. The personal safety of citizens in that society should be guaranteed. This includes being protected from external forces and security within the society, from both the government, institutions and individuals. No person should fear loss of life or physical harm in civilized society.

Health Care
The right for all members of a society to have access to health care, regardless of social class or economic situation, is a staple of civilized society. Each citizen is entitled to the highest-quality health care the society is able to provide. Sadly, few nations today can legitimately claim this truth as a part of their society.

Access to Food and Water
A civilized society is one that provides the basic essentials of life to all its citizens. Granting access to food and water, so that no person will go hungry or thirsty, is another measurement of a civilized society. Many philosophers believe that how a society treats its worst off is how it should be measured.

Shelter
Basic shelter should also be provided to each citizen. Civilized society ensures that all people who live within the society are given access to a location where they can safely sleep and take refuge from the elements. Many Scandinavian countries have combated homelessness by providing government-sponsored housing for individuals living on the street.

System of Law and Government
In order for a society to function it must have an established system of laws. These laws should be designed to preserve the welfare of the common good and be for the society's best interest. The role of the government is one of an administrator, polling the needs of the society and governing according to those needs based on common interest.

Education
Education may not seem like an obvious measure, but equal access to education for all individuals is considered a strong indicator of civilized society. It is in the community's best interest to have a highly educated population. This promotes advancement, research and economic growth. The education system of a society should be equal for all and not prohibitive at any level. All citizens must be guaranteed the right to a full education and should not be discriminated from doing so based on cost, access or any other characteristic.

Freedom
Freedom is perhaps the most important mark of a civilized society, one that trumps all other units of measure. Freedom of thought, belief, word, religion, affiliation and expression -- and the guarantee of those freedoms -- is essential in a civilized society. The right to participate in the economy, government and culture of the society is akin to such freedoms.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_10027787_se...#ixzz2zW9b3xNr

I think what he means is when you have nothing and there is nowhere to turn all you can do is pray for help!

This is about Britain being Christian. It hasn't been Christian only for the last four years so please... stop making everything an anti-tory rant. It's very tedious.
Old 21-04-2014, 11:49 AM #18
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
This is about Britain being Christian. It hasn't been Christian only for the last four years so please... stop making everything an anti-tory rant. It's very tedious.
It's about an article written by the PM livia. Don't tell me what to post please it's more tedious.
I will have my say and if you don't like it don't respond, thankyou.

Last edited by Kizzy; 21-04-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 12:02 PM #19
Banned

Banned

Defining countries by religion is archaic and it doesn't make sense in this day and age.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 05:56 PM #20
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Defining countries by religion is archaic and it doesn't make sense in this day and age.
You might want to run that thought past some of the Arab Nations :

Old 21-04-2014, 06:35 PM #21
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
You might want to run that thought past some of the Arab Nations :
The UK is a bit different to them though don't you think?
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 06:37 PM #22

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

As an atheist, I have no objection to living in a Christian country.
Quite like the traditional parts of it.

Take it or leave it just as long as it isn't shoved down our throats.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 06:37 PM #23
Z

Z

I'm glad I live in a Christian country, all these religious holidays wouldn't be possible without it
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 06:43 PM #24
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z View Post
I'm glad I live in a Christian country, all these religious holidays wouldn't be possible without it
Well said Zee. I don't see many atheists willing to give up Christmas and Easter breaks. Although to give him his due, Jesus (our Jesus, not the one from the Bible) does volunteer at Christmastime. Although he's the exception rather than the rule, I think.
Old 21-04-2014, 06:54 PM #25
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Yes without religion they would just be 'breaks'...

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
christian, country, live