Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 24-04-2014, 02:32 PM #1

Default Firemen on Strike 2, 3, 4 May England /Wales

Strikes like this should not be permitted

Reported on SkyNewsHD

http://news.sky.com/story/1248654/fi...ee-days-in-may

Last edited by arista; 24-04-2014 at 02:54 PM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 03:24 PM #2

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

All Emergency (Police,Fire,Ambulance,Coastguard etc) and essential service workers (like Tube drivers,Power station workers etc..) should be bound by strict No strike agreements BUT should have reasonable inflationary pay rises and good early pensions.

No quibble, no fuss this should be strictly controlled and regulated by ALL governments and NOT tampered with.

If you then go into these professions then you know the score before you join.
Old 24-04-2014, 06:11 PM #3
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedusa View Post
All Emergency (Police,Fire,Ambulance,Coastguard etc) and essential service workers (like Tube drivers,Power station workers etc..) should be bound by strict No strike agreements BUT should have reasonable inflationary pay rises and good early pensions.

No quibble, no fuss this should be strictly controlled and regulated by ALL governments and NOT tampered with.

I agree - the inflation based raises, pensions etc. should be set in stone and non negotiable, and in return any strike action (even trying to arrange one) should mean immediate dismissal. Anyone signing up would know the score and that would be that.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 09:16 PM #4
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Police officers can't strike, just imagime if they could... And those guys who run into burning buildings! if they want to strike they should be shot.
Old 24-04-2014, 10:31 PM #5
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

I am persuaded that the eseential services likely should not be able to call for and take all out strike action.

However that being so, they are essential services and therefore should be treated as same with good employment rights and set wages and wage increases.

What I find astounding is that this Govt. led by the Conservatives who in the main were seen as the champions of the essential services has reached a point of so much unrest with the Police, Firemen and Prison Officers.
It does seem that these essential services have little liking for, or indeed even any trust, in this Govt. at all.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 10:10 AM #6
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
I am persuaded that the eseential services likely should not be able to call for and take all out strike action.

However that being so, they are essential services and therefore should be treated as same with good employment rights and set wages and wage increases.

What I find astounding is that this Govt. led by the Conservatives who in the main were seen as the champions of the essential services has reached a point of so much unrest with the Police, Firemen and Prison Officers.
It does seem that these essential services have little liking for, or indeed even any trust, in this Govt. at all.
I totally agree that the pay, conditions and regular increments for emergency services should be solid and not up for fiddling with. However, to point the finger only at the Conservatives is a little unfair. All governments have held the emergency services to ransom over the years. All parties are equally culpable in this and they should all be suitably ashamed.

I don't agree with striking though, not at all, and certainly not by people who hold lives in their hands. The public are generally behind the emergency services, but it would take only one death, one disaster unattended due to industrial action, and they'd turn from heroes to zeroes overnight.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 10:29 AM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I totally agree that the pay, conditions and regular increments for emergency services should be solid and not up for fiddling with. However, to point the finger only at the Conservatives is a little unfair. All governments have held the emergency services to ransom over the years. All parties are equally culpable in this and they should all be suitably ashamed.
I don't agree with striking though, not at all, and certainly not by people who hold lives in their hands. The public are generally behind the emergency services, but it would take only one death, one disaster unattended due to industrial action, and they'd turn from heroes to zeroes overnight.
Agree with this....we had a small fire at work in 2002 and the army had to come and extinguish it as the Fire Service were on strike...during a Labour Government.
Old 25-04-2014, 10:39 AM #8
0_o

0_o

Yup, all governments appear to undervalue the emergency services tbh. IMO we should do everything we can to keep them sweet, the country would be screwed without them.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 10:57 AM #9
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedusa View Post

yes. using strikes like this is odious.
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 11:11 AM #10
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I totally disagree, as seen recently the ambulance service were unable to save the life of a man due to the reduction of frontline staff. The public are beginning to see the dismantling of the NHS and other first responders, it's becoming apparent to everyone the consequences of cutting pay and resources.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
england, firemen, or wales, strike