Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 21-07-2014, 02:50 PM #1

Default Mother faces fine for taking blind terminally ill son on last holiday

Curtis Ingrouille-Kidd, 13 is a quadriplegic child who has cerebral palsy but school bosses refused his mum's request to take a cruise during term time.

"The only relaxation he can get is swimming, so a cruise ship with a pool where he can also enjoy the sensory motion of a boat is ideal for him.

"I asked for a holiday request form from the school but was absolutely shocked and flabbergasted when the response was 'no'.

And the Department of Education added: "We have been clear that all headteachers are free to grant pupils leave in exceptional circumstances."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...#ixzz387B2XFpD
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 02:53 PM #2

Similar to the thread I started yesterday but another ridiculous case. Any teacher who doesn't see how this is an exceptional circumstance as they said is heartless to the core and an absolute bastard. Sick.
Old 21-07-2014, 03:11 PM #3
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

shove him and go... pencil pushing cretin.
Old 21-07-2014, 03:18 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
shove him and go... pencil pushing cretin.
Yup. The robotic computerised response is bad enough but it's awful how they're being so contradictory by saying they only allow term holidays in exceptional circumstances ... if this doesn't fit the bill I'd hate to see what does.
Old 21-07-2014, 04:06 PM #5

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

I think this would definitely qualify as "exceptional cicumstances".

Old 22-07-2014, 10:39 AM #6
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

This sounds so ludicrous it makes me wonder whether it wasn't the result of some kind of breakdown in communication. Who in the world would deny a family this chance to share something wonderful with a terminally ill child?
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 12:33 PM #7
-

-

In my opinion, teaching in this country MUST become better paid, have more benefits, require a higher level of qualification and be generally much harder to get into.

It needs to REQUIRE more intelligent people, and have the clout to attract those eople away from higher pay in the private sector.

Because - quite simply - far too many of the people teaching our children, and reaching high levels in the education system such as heads-of-department and even head teachers, are just plain ****ing thick. Blind checkbox ticking idiots with absolutely no ability to think creatively or outside the box. THAT is why our system is failing so badly... not because we need "more hours in school" or whatever other nonsense the government spouts.

I know it's controversial to say so, but our education levels are slipping because our stock of teachers simply aren't good enough. I'm not by any means saying that ALL teachers are incompetent. Some are excellent, and sadly, those excellent teachers are often overlooked for higher positions because they're not full of hot-air like the ones who do progress. I'm also not saying it's the teachers' fault rather than a fault of the system - it IS a fault of the system that people who aren't intellectually equipped to be "educating" anyone are able to get into teaching. Many of them simply shouldn't be there. It should be a standard that is out of their reach.

Note: This also isn't government / recession-bashing... this was a problem since I was at school. At the very least. In fact I don't think it's a problem that's been created at any point at all... teaching standards have simply NEVER been what they should and could be. Not since the very first modern school opened its' doors.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 12:42 PM #8
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
This sounds so ludicrous it makes me wonder whether it wasn't the result of some kind of breakdown in communication. Who in the world would deny a family this chance to share something wonderful with a terminally ill child?
Jobsworths, who wants to tick the right boxes and not rock the boat. I suppose it probably will have been a communication issue, of sorts... in that this head probably didn't even read the request fully or think about it at all. They'll have seen "holiday in term time" and immediately thrown out a "no"... because "that's not allowed".

You get people like this everywhere... generally in any system, there are the rules and then there's usually some scope for "discretion", which IMO is another word for "common sense". It seems that the higher-ups are saying that this would have been a situation where it would have been fine for the head to use discretion. You would be amazed how many people (in all sorts of roles) are TERRIFIED of using discretion for fear they might get it wrong. I've worked with people who have lost us customers worth over £20,000 in profit because they wouldn't compromise over £5. Mental. Essentially - people don't have any balls. The head said "no" because she was worried about someone higher up giving her a telling-off for it.
Old 22-07-2014, 12:43 PM #9
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

I would take him on holiday anyway.
Old 22-07-2014, 12:46 PM #10
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
I would take him on holiday anyway.
I'd assume they probably will and after all of the attention, I'd also assume that the fine will be waived... but that doesn't change the fact that it should never have been given in the first place.

TBH I have no idea why anyone would keep a genuinely terminally ill child in school anyway. What a waste? Unless they want to be there with their friends, I suppose. If one of my children, god forbid, genuinely only had months or years to live I would be making sure they get to experience as much of life as possible in that time. Not stuck in a grey building with grey people 5 days a week.
Old 22-07-2014, 12:47 PM #11
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I'd assume they probably will and after all of the attention, I'd also assume that the fine will be waived... but that doesn't change the fact that it should never have been given in the first place.

TBH I have no idea why anyone would keep a genuinely terminally ill child in school anyway. What a waste? Unless they want to be there with their friends, I suppose. If one of my children, god forbid, genuinely only had months or years to live I would be making sure they get to experience as much of life as possible in that time. Not stuck in a grey building with grey people 5 days a week.
This is so sad. Poor child.
Old 22-07-2014, 12:58 PM #12
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Jobsworths, who wants to tick the right boxes and not rock the boat. I suppose it probably will have been a communication issue, of sorts... in that this head probably didn't even read the request fully or think about it at all. They'll have seen "holiday in term time" and immediately thrown out a "no"... because "that's not allowed".

You get people like this everywhere... generally in any system, there are the rules and then there's usually some scope for "discretion", which IMO is another word for "common sense". It seems that the higher-ups are saying that this would have been a situation where it would have been fine for the head to use discretion. You would be amazed how many people (in all sorts of roles) are TERRIFIED of using discretion for fear they might get it wrong. I've worked with people who have lost us customers worth over £20,000 in profit because they wouldn't compromise over £5. Mental. Essentially - people don't have any balls. The head said "no" because she was worried about someone higher up giving her a telling-off for it.

Yeah, I worked for the Tories, now I work for the Government. You don't have to tell me about jobsworths and people with no balls, I've got the teeshirt.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 01:48 PM #13

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

I'd ****ing go anyway. Heartless bastards.
Cal. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
blind, faces, fine, holiday, mother, son, taking, terminally