Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: .
Yes, he has served his time & should be allowed to return to society as normal 24 47.06%
Yes, he has served his time & should be allowed to return to society as normal
24 47.06%
Can't decide 1 1.96%
Can't decide
1 1.96%
No, it would be a bad example & he should not be allowed to play football professionally again 26 50.98%
No, it would be a bad example & he should not be allowed to play football professionally again
26 50.98%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16-10-2014, 10:14 AM #1
Locke.

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
CBB20: Paul Danan

Locke.

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Paul Danan

Default Should Ched Evans be allowed to sign for a Football Club again?

He was convicted on a 5 year sentence in April 2012 and will be released this week.

Quote:
Evans and another footballer, Clayton McDonald, were tried at the Crown Court at Caernarfon after being indicted of the rape of a 19-year-old woman, who was deemed too drunk to consent,[38] at a hotel near Rhyl in May 2011. Evans was convicted on 20 April 2012 and was sentenced to five years imprisonment. He will be eligible for release after serving half of that sentence.[36][39][40] In August 2012, Evans was refused leave to appeal against the conviction, and he appealed to the Court of Appeal of England and Wales,[41] this decision was upheld by the Court of Appeal in London in November.[42] Evans continues to maintain his innocence,[43] and in November 2013 recruited a new legal team to attempt to clear his name.[44] He is currently serving his sentence at HM Prison Wymott.
Quote:
Footballer Ched Evans will leave prison this week, keen to get back to work after serving half of a five-year sentence for raping a 19-year-old woman in a hotel room. As I write, more than 140,000 people have signed a petition stating that Evans should not be allowed to return to professional football. But his former club Sheffield United are reportedly interested in re-signing the striker.

Moral arguments have been presented on both sides. Gordon Taylor, chief executive of the Professional Footballers’ Association, has pointed out that the law does not prevent ex-prisoners from working or resuming their old lives after release: “As a trade union we believe in the rule of law … besides that, [Evans] still wants to contribute to society. If he earns money he’ll pay taxes, those taxes will go to help people who maybe can’t get a job.”

There’s a certain consistency to Taylor’s first line of argument. If we respect the law that has found Evans guilty of rape, then shouldn’t we also respect the legal process that imposes a prison sentence, after which the convicted person is free to return to society?

Taylor’s claim about the social benefits of Evans’ return to work, meanwhile, appeals to two quite different kinds of moral argument: one based on motivation and the other based on consequences. The suggestion that “Evans wants to contribute to society” encourages us to regard him as a person of good will – and philosopher Immanuel Kant makes this concept of a good will or pure moral intention the sole criterion of morality. So Kant would deny that the tax revenue from Evans’ wages has any moral relevance, since only motivations, and not consequences, have moral worth. A strict utilitarian, in contrast, would take into account all social benefits arising from his potential return to Sheffield United.

Those campaigning against Evans emphasise a different set of issues. Katie Russell of Rape Crisis England has stated that her organisation “recognises the right of any convicted criminal to return to work after they’ve completed their sentence”. But for her, the cultural context gives this case a distinctive moral significance. Football is a high-profile, prestigious industry: players are celebrated and revered, not least by boys and young men. And with this public influence comes social responsibility.

If it were to bring Evans back into the team, Russell argues, Sheffield United would be failing “to send a very strong message that rape and sexual violence – and violence against women and girls more broadly – will not be tolerated within football”. According to this logic, the right to return to work can be sacrificed for the sake of a strong statement about cultural values. In other words, in this instance the ends justify the means.

Interest in this case, as with many morally ambiguous situations, arises from a deeper concern about what kind of people we should be, and what kind of society we want to live in. For Plato, this was the substance of all moral questions. One of the important messages in his Republic is the unbreakable connection between the personal and the social, the private and the public, the soul and the state. Cases like that of Evans, then, go to the heart of whether we want to be a society that promotes forgiveness – that allows people to make mistakes and move on – or one that chooses role models who embody gentleness and respect for others.

If it is hard to give a clear answer to this question, that is precisely because both sides are so compelling. Surely we should not give up on either forgiveness or providing positive role models. But the sting in the tail is that, however deep the moral dilemma, a practical decision needs to be made.

I do not know enough about what happened in that hotel room, nor about Evans’ attitude now, to say what should be done. But putting myself in the position of those who have to decide about his career, I see that the way through this problem involves posing the moral questions to Evans himself.

I would ask him if he felt able to exemplify values of dignity and kindness. His commitment to this would make it easier for me to take the stand for forgiveness. After all, we should not have to choose between these two ideals. Both can be realised in this case, but only if those involved take on the responsibility of living up to them.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...-sentence-rape
Locke. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 10:27 AM #2
Banned

Banned

I can see it from both sides of the argument. It sends a bad message to re-sign him but what is the point in the prison system if it prevents someone who has successfully completed a prison term from contributing to society? It's certainly a deterrent to reformation if ex-cons aren't given the chance to prove themselves.

It's a difficult one.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 10:33 AM #3

If he's served his time that's that i suppose. Should he be allowed to have any job anywhere eve again? being a football player is no different to any other job. should he be allowed to work at Tesco?

Last edited by lostalex; 16-10-2014 at 10:33 AM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 10:34 AM #4
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I can see it from both sides of the argument. It sends a bad message to re-sign him but what is the point in the prison system if it prevents someone who has successfully completed a prison term from contributing to society? It's certainly a deterrent to reformation if ex-cons aren't given the chance to prove themselves.

It's a difficult one.
I think the nature of his job probably has a lot to do with it. Because he'd be in the limelight and a celebrity of sorts

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 10:53 AM #5
Z

Z

I think he should be allowed back, he's served his time, no need to punish the man for the rest of his life. His crime had nothing to do with his ability to play football. The thing he was convicted for is such a grey area anyway; it's as easy to imagine he took advantage of a drunk girl as it is to imagine they were both drunk, had sex and then she later claimed rape.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 10:54 AM #6
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

What's the point of making someone serve a sentence as punishment if the punishment is actually going to go on forever. If he is not allowed to return to his job, whatever that job may be, that will surely affect others who have served jail time, paid for their crime and then continued to be punished after they're released.

The exception would obviously be for people who have been convicted of crimes against children, they should obviously not be allowed to work with children ever again.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 10:59 AM #7

Quote:
What's the point of making someone serve a sentence as punishment if the punishment is actually going to go on forever. If he is not allowed to return to his job, whatever that job may be, that will surely affect others who have served jail time, paid for their crime and then continued to be punished after they're released.

The exception would obviously be for people who have been convicted of crimes against children, they should obviously not be allowed to work with children ever again.
yes i agree. or if a doctor is convicted of malpractice they should not be allowed to practice medicine, etc... or if he had committed a crime on the football pitch while playing football (like mike tyson biting evander hollyfield) then he should be banned from football. but considering his crime had nothing to do with playing football, i don't see the problem.

Last edited by lostalex; 16-10-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 16-10-2014, 11:01 AM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z View Post
I think he should be allowed back, he's served his time, no need to punish the man for the rest of his life. His crime had nothing to do with his ability to play football. The thing he was convicted for is such a grey area anyway; it's as easy to imagine he took advantage of a drunk girl as it is to imagine they were both drunk, had sex and then she later claimed rape.
no, he is definitely a rapist, pure and simple. considering how difficult it is to convict a man of rape there is no doubt he is guilty,. most rapists get off(no pun intended) so for him to be convicted means there was PLENTY of evidence and he most certainly is a rapist. there is no grey area in this case.

Last edited by lostalex; 16-10-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 16-10-2014, 11:11 AM #9
The peoples princesses

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace
BB2023: Yinrun

The peoples princesses

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace
BB2023: Yinrun

Totally, he's served his time.

Plus what message are we sending out saying that people that have served their time shouldn't return to their full time job and bring in taxes?

Rather a rapist earn his own money (and add thousands to the tax system) than claim benefits for the rest of his life.

Quote:
And if not, maybe try your hand at being an author for Mills & Boon.
He/him
Mitchell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 01:20 PM #10
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Nope. His job elevates him to a celebrity of sorts, his face could be in a paper somewhere and his victim sees it by accident. He should be allowed a job back in conjunction with football but not the one he had, keep him in the background.
Old 16-10-2014, 01:24 PM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidHoe View Post
Nope. His job elevates him to a celebrity of sorts, his face could be in a paper somewhere and his victim sees it by accident. He should be allowed a job back in conjunction with football but not the one he had, keep him in the background.
Considering what we now know about the celebrities of the 80's and 90's on british TV, if you tried to keep all the sex offenders off you might as well just make TV illegal. Hell maybe we should just throw acid in everyone's eyes, blind the public just to make sure they don't see anything offensive.

Last edited by lostalex; 16-10-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 16-10-2014, 01:29 PM #12
You know my methods

You know my methods

The argument against seems to be about him being a role model for kids. Surely kids take no interest in the players criminal past even if they were made aware and could actually comprehend what he did?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 01:40 PM #13
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
The argument against seems to be about him being a role model for kids. Surely kids take no interest in the players criminal past even if they were made aware and could actually comprehend what he did?
Because generally, footballers are suitable role models?
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 01:57 PM #14
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Sportsmen and women are ambassadors of sorts and they are looked up to, they always have been seen as positive role models. This would send out a very odd message imo.
Old 16-10-2014, 02:18 PM #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Sportsmen and women are ambassadors of sorts and they are looked up to, they always have been seen as positive role models. This would send out a very odd message imo.
so maybe we should stop the media from propping up sports stars as heroes, ever consider that? maybe we should prop up scientists as heroes, is that crazy?
Old 16-10-2014, 02:27 PM #16
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Yes but only to adults, I doubt any 8 year old boy would understand

The role model bit comes on the pitch not off it.
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 02:50 PM #17
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
Considering what we now know about the celebrities of the 80's and 90's on british TV, if you tried to keep all the sex offenders off you might as well just make TV illegal. Hell maybe we should just throw acid in everyone's eyes, blind the public just to make sure they don't see anything offensive.
It flies the face of that whole situation and the outrage if a footballer (who gets paid very well) who is a convicted rapist is allowed back to that job and lifestyle.
Old 16-10-2014, 02:58 PM #18

He's served his time, time to move on. The pitch fork feminazis are actually makeing me feel sorry for Ched.

Last edited by alex_front2; 16-10-2014 at 02:59 PM.
alex_front2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 03:01 PM #19
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
so maybe we should stop the media from propping up sports stars as heroes, ever consider that? maybe we should prop up scientists as heroes, is that crazy?
I've considered the thread topic, and commented on that.
Old 16-10-2014, 03:04 PM #20

Mmm its a tough one this. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act is there to protect people who have committed a crime, served their sentence and want to return a workplace. There are few places where, had he not been famous, he would have had to declare this sentence unless he was applying for a position that is exempt from the Act - the Forces, NHS, Police, working with certain categories of people - children, vulnerable adults etc and so is it fair that once rehabilitated by prison the very nature of who he is not what he did should stop him from returning to his previous career? It wouldn't stop other people and his name will be forever tarnished and maybe if he is allowed to return it will show young offenders that if you do do your time and keep your nose clean, your life doesn't have to stop forever. I know people will jump on me for that because the victims life has been affected forever but he has been punished and undertaken the sentence as declared by the court......
Old 16-10-2014, 03:13 PM #21
His blood is bad.

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBUSA20: Brett

His blood is bad.

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBUSA20: Brett

No. **** him.
Old 16-10-2014, 03:14 PM #22
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsay View Post
No. **** him.
You feminazi

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 04:38 PM #23
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis G

Fact is really that for all their public prominence sports stars often aren't great people, and shouldn't be expected to be squeaky clean role models for kids to look up to. Evans would not be alone in continuing his career after a serious crime, at Forest Green one of our star strikers Lee Hughes did three years for death by dangerous driving. Over in the states the NFL has got all sorts of scumbags still playing; you'll find them in most sports if not on the same scale.

The nature of his career means he's sort of in the public eye (though at the very best he'd be returning to a League 1 club) but I don't think that alone is reason to heap extra punishment on him once he's served his sentence. Leave it as a moral decision for any club who might want to sign him but don't physically bar him from football completely.

Last edited by MTVN; 16-10-2014 at 04:39 PM.
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 05:32 PM #24
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Footballers think that they can get away with whatever they want to, they need to use him as an example and ban him as his life should be affected forever after what he did to that girl, and it would teach other Footballers a lesson not to make the same mistake that Ched Evans made.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 05:44 PM #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mockinator View Post
Footballers think that they can get away with whatever they want to, they need to use him as an example and ban him as his life should be affected forever after what he did to that girl, and it would teach other Footballers a lesson not to make the same mistake that Ched Evans made.
yea, that's not how justice works. You can't punish a footballer for what other footballers MIGHT do in the future.

I do agree that footballers should be taken down a few pegs, but that's the job of the league and the media, you can't do it by just punishing this one person. He shouldn't be made a scapegoat for all of the problems in our sport and media culture.

Last edited by lostalex; 16-10-2014 at 05:46 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
allowed, ched, club, convicted, evans, football, pro, rapist, sign