Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 17-10-2014, 01:22 AM #1
Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

Default Jamie Oliver under scrutiny for hiring a convicted paedophile.

Discuss

"Paedophile, 24, who raped 12-year-old girl is handed a job as a chef at Jamie Oliver's Fifteen restaurant ahead of thousands of disadvantaged applicants

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3GMRicIjh
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...pplicants.html

Quote:
Jamie Oliver has defended a decision to employ a convicted child rapist at one of his London restaurants.
David Mason – who forced himself on a girl of 12 as they played computer games – has been handed a job as an apprentice chef at the Fifteen restaurant.
Last night a spokesman for Oliver said Mason should be given the chance to turn his life around.
Convicted paedophile David Mason, 24, left, has been taken on as one of Jamie Oliver's Fifteen apprentices
+6
Convicted paedophile David Mason, 24, left, has been taken on as one of Jamie Oliver's Fifteen apprentices
Celebrity chef Jamie Oliver has taken on a convicted paedophile as part of his Fifteen programme for disadvantaged youngsters
+6
David Mason, 24, who raped a 12-year-old girl in 2009, is now working as a trainee at Oliver's central London restaurant, Fifteen
+6
A spokesman for Oliver confirmed that Mason was working as a trainee at Fifteen restaurant in London, right
But those who know Mason, 24, are said to be outraged that he has been boasting about his £130 a week job on Facebook.
‘It’s disgusting that a lad who raped a 12-year-old girl can be gifted the kind of opportunity that honest, hard-working youngsters across the country are crying out for,’ one said.
RELATED ARTICLES
Previous
Next

Barnado's accused of blaming victim of sex abuse for assault that happened in flat owned by...
Mason, from Feltham in West London, was 19 when he raped the girl and was sentenced to four years in a young offenders’ institution after admitting the crime.
He served two years and spent two more doing probation work before he started the year-long apprentice programme six weeks ago.
‘I know he served his time but everyone is sickened he’s got a golden opportunity ahead of people who haven’t committed a horrible crime, and the way he is showing off on Facebook,’ Mason’s former acquaintance told the Sun.
Set up in 2002, Oliver’s Fifteen programme is designed to ‘help young people stay out of trouble and make something of their lives’.
The apprentices attend college and work shifts at the Fifteen restaurant in Islington, pictured above
+6
The apprentices attend college and work shifts at the Fifteen restaurant in Islington, pictured above
A spokesman for Oliver last night said of Mason: ‘He was completely honest about his past when he applied and we decided that, as he’d served his sentence, he should be allowed a place on the programme.
‘It is not unusual for us to work with people who want to try to turn their lives around. David spent two years in prison and two years doing probationary work with the Prince’s Trust, so four years of punishment.
‘We took great care deciding whether he was appropriate and he is six weeks into the course and doing very well.’
We decided that as he'd served his sentence, he should be allowed a place
The apprentices, who go through a rigorous and competitive selection programme, attend college one day a week but work mostly in the Fifteen restaurant kitchen, learning the skills needed to be a top chef.
Oliver was awarded the MBE in 2003 for his role in setting up Fifteen and his work with young people.
Last night Andrew Neilson of the Howard League for Penal Reform, said: ‘If we expect people who commit crimes to never do it again, then we have to accept that once someone has served their sentence, they deserve a chance to become a safe and productive citizen.
‘Jamie Oliver and his Fifteen restaurant should be commended for the opportunities they provide to young people trying to turn their lives around.’
Mason’s lawyer, defending him in 2009 at Isleworth Crown Court, had said his client was immature and unaware of the consequences of his actions. But Judge Richard McGregor Johnson, sentencing, said Mason ‘knew very well that having sex with such a young girl was wrong’.
JAMIE OLIVER'S FIFTEEN: SUCCESSFUL SCHEME SCARRED BY TRAGEDY
One of Jamie Oliver's first Fifteen apprentices was Kevin Boyle, a 26-year-old Crystal Palace supporter from Purley, Surrey.
A keen and talented chef, he worked for Vinoteca restaurant in London and cooked for the Prince of Wales and former Prime Minister, Tony Blair, after finishing Oliver's scheme.
But in October 2011, the Lancaster University graduate, then 26, was reported missing from his home. In January 2012, he was found dead in a garden in nearby Coulsdon, and his mother, Patti, 54, said he had committed suicide with a kit he had bought for £44 over the internet.

+6
Tragedy: Jamie Oliver with Kevin Boyle (right), who cooked for Tony Blair but later took his own life
After Mr Boyle's death Jamie Oliver said: 'I'm deeply saddened by this tragic news. I am proud to have been able to call Kevin a friend for ten years, and he was also a constant supporter of Fifteen and all the apprentices and graduates who came after him through the course.'
It was the second tragic death to hit the chef's trainee scheme.
In 2008, Christopher Pethick, 20, was found hanged a few miles from the Fifteen restaurant in Watergate Bay, Cornwall.
He dropped out of the course in 2006 after two months with severe depression.
Fifteen trainee chef Tom Baisden, left, with Jamie Oliver, admitted being involved in a £3million gem heist
+6
Fifteen trainee chef Tom Baisden, left, with Jamie Oliver, admitted being involved in a £3million gem heist
Crime has touched the Fifteen trainee scheme, too.
Five years ago, a former apprentice on Jamie Oliver's Fifteen scheme was sent to prison after admitting taking part in a £3million jewellery heist in Southend Airport.
Former drug addict Tom Baisden, then 28, from Thundersley, Essex, admitted theft, conspiracy to steal, and conspiracy to pervert the course of justice by plotting to steal gems, Cartier watches and designer handbags.
He told the court he was inspired by his celebrity chef mentor to confess to his crimes, after Oliver told him : 'You can't run away from things or hide from them.'

Last edited by Ithinkiloveyoutoo; 17-10-2014 at 01:29 AM.
Ithinkiloveyoutoo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 01:39 AM #2
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

Paedophiles can't be saved imo as they can't help who they're attracted to so they'll keep being a menace to society.

People should bycott Jamie Oliver's Restaurant for hiring such a disgraceful Human Being who also gloats about the whole thing, also his victim is not getting rewarded for what she suffered so why should he for only being punished for 4 years? Well to be exact only 2 years in prison.

Out with extreme Politics on both sides of the divide.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 01:39 AM #3

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Paedophiles can't be saved imo as they can't help who they're attracted to so they'll keep being a menace to society.

People should bycott Jamie Oliver's Restaurant for hiring such a disgraceful Human Being who also gloats about the whole thing, also his victim is not getting rewarded for what she suffered so why should he for only being punished for 4 years? Well to be exact only 2 years in prison.

Old 17-10-2014, 02:53 AM #4
Banned

Banned

My point of view here is similar to that of the Ched threat. I can understand both sides of the argument.

I like that Jamie Oliver is endorsing reformation as it's a concept that's often cast aside in today's world although it's vitally important, people who don't get given the chance to reform are doomed to repeat their mistakes.

From a marketing and PR perspective though, I wouldn't have gone anywhere near the candidate as the message will inevitably get lost within the flurry of tabloid headlines.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 03:38 AM #5

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Ched and Dave can get normal jobs in factories or whatever, the law abiding citizens should be getting their jobs as they've earned it more.

Old 17-10-2014, 05:28 AM #6
Wanderer

Favourites (more):
BB16: Chloe
CBB15: Cami Li
Wanderer

Favourites (more):
BB16: Chloe
CBB15: Cami Li

I have a feeling Jamie hired him as an edgy, out-there statement more than anything. It isn't fair he got the job over more skilled applicants, especially as he is a paedophile, feels almost like Jamie is rewarding him for being one.
Creggle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 05:42 AM #7

Favourites:
BBUSA17: John

Favourites:
BBUSA17: John

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mockinator View Post
Ched and Dave can get normal jobs in factories or whatever, the law abiding citizens should be getting their jobs as they've earned it more.
Marc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 07:08 AM #8
-

-

Controversy alert: he was 19 and the girl was 12 (probably in adolescence) and whilst this is obviously very wrong, and would be wrong no matter what her age was (as he forced himself on her), and is definitely worse with her being so young, and whilst he may be considered a child molester in the eyes of the law... In truth, he is probably not actually a paedophile.

"Just" a rapist. Nonetheless, he did prey on someone young and vulnerable, and whilst as I said in the footballer thread - people need to be able to get back into society after serving their sentence or the whole thing is a farce - I personally am not convinced that he should even be out of prison yet let alone making huge career strides. It seems like questionably soft sentencing to me.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 12:20 PM #9
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I don't believe he is a paedophile, despite the fact she was 12, but he is obviously a rapist. However, he's served the time he was sentenced to serve and I'd rather he was a functioning, contributing member of society rather than being on benefits with no future and no chance of rehabilitation.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 01:52 PM #10
Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

^He's a paedo and a rapist. The definition of a paedo is sexual attraction to minors. He must have felt some attraction to want to rape her.

Don't understand why a lot of people are suddenly so soft and lenient towards criminals and the crimes. Like John Grisham, Judy Finnighan and now this. Someone made a point on dailymail if he wants to give second chances or sympathise why not sympathise with the victim and give her this opportunity. This is a good opportunity that not every day good people get so why not give it to the victim instead of giving it to the criminal. It's like rewarding him.

If he wants to contribute to society there are plenty of jobs that he could do where he won't feel like crime literally pays.
Meanwhile his victim probably still feels like ****, might have self esteem issues, might suffer socially but he's the one that is being rewarded with a good opportunity. Sucks.

Last edited by Ithinkiloveyoutoo; 17-10-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Ithinkiloveyoutoo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 01:54 PM #11
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithinkiloveyoutoo View Post
^He's a paedo and a rapist. The definition of a paedo is sexual attraction to minors. He must have felt some attraction to want to rape her.

Don't understand why a lot of people are suddenly so soft and lenient towards criminals and the crimes. Like John Grisham, Judy Finnighan and now this. Someone made a point on dailymail if he wants to give second chances or sympathise why not sympathise with the victim and give her this opportunity. This is a good opportunity that not every day good people get so why not give it to the victim instead of giving it to the criminal. It's like rewarding him.

If he wants to contribute to society there are plenty of jobs htat he could do where he won't feel like crime literally pays.
Meanwhile his victim probably still feels like ****, might have self esteem issues, might suffer socially but he's the one that is being rewarded with a good opportunity. Sucks.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 01:56 PM #12
0_o

0_o

I dont personally believe convicted paedos should ever be released back into the public. Too much of a risk to take.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 01:58 PM #13
Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
I dont personally believe convicted paedos should ever be released back into the public. Too much of a risk to take.
Let's see if Jamie trusts him enough to leave him around his children.
Old 17-10-2014, 01:58 PM #14
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithinkiloveyoutoo View Post

If he wants to contribute to society there are plenty of jobs htat he could do where he won't feel like crime literally pays.

Once someone's served their time they should get on with their lives. It's not for you or me to decide what they should or shouldn't do, or that they should live in poverty or on benefits.

You have no idea how his victim feels, that's all supposition, and there's nothing to stop her getting on with her life and making a success of it.

You can either bang criminals up forever, or you make them serve their time and set them free in the hopes they will be rehabilitated. You can't make them continue to serve a sentence once they're out.

Last edited by Livia; 17-10-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 01:59 PM #15
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Me neither, the only way of testing out if they're actually rehabilitated is by putting them back into society and putting more kids at risk.....Who's life is more important?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 02:07 PM #16
Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

Quote:
Once someone's served their time they should get on with their lives. It's not for you or me to decide what they should or shouldn't do, or that they should live in poverty or on benefits.

You have no idea how his victim feels, that's all supposition, and there's nothing to stop her getting on with her life and making a success of it.

You can either bang criminals up forever, or you make them serve their time and set them free in the hopes they will be rehabilitated. You can't make them continue to serve a sentence once they're out.
I have a hard time with the moto they've done their time they should get on with their lives because IMO sentences kind of suck in this country especially. 2-4 years (I think) for raping a 12 year old? I don't think that's long enough of a sentence. But it is what he got and fair enough he is out now so he should get on with things but not something to this scale.

And of course I don't know how the victim feels but it's normal to assume that how she feels will be like a lifetime sentence.
Old 17-10-2014, 02:15 PM #17

I can't believe what I have read in this thread.

A 19 year old is an ADULT a 12 year old is a CHILD, the man is a Paedophile and a rapist and there's no excuses to be made to say otherwise.

The restaurant will suffer due to this being made public and rightly so IMO.
Josy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 02:33 PM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josy View Post

A 19 year old is an ADULT a 12 year old is a CHILD, the man is a Paedophile and a rapist and there's no excuses to be made to say otherwise.

Yes
but he is saying everyone gets a 2nd chance
and standing by that.

But I wonder if anyone will Spray Paint
his place?
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 02:34 PM #19

Quote:

Maybe Jamie thinks he has been fixed in head?
Old 17-10-2014, 02:37 PM #20

I have yet to see a full debate on this
on a News Ch.

Its all USA Ebola Panic
Old 17-10-2014, 02:39 PM #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
My point of view here is similar to that of the Ched threat. I can understand both sides of the argument.

I like that Jamie Oliver is endorsing reformation as it's a concept that's often cast aside in today's world although it's vitally important, people who don't get given the chance to reform are doomed to repeat their mistakes.

From a marketing and PR perspective though, I wouldn't have gone anywhere near the candidate as the message will inevitably get lost within the flurry of tabloid headlines.

Yes Jamies Cafe /Shop "chain"
is getting PR?
Some are not even aware he has a Chain
Old 17-10-2014, 02:42 PM #22

North London trendy place
but who has worked there
Old 17-10-2014, 04:31 PM #23
Inactive

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Victoria
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Inactive

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Victoria
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Quote:
I don't believe he is a paedophile, despite the fact she was 12, but he is obviously a rapist. However, he's served the time he was sentenced to serve and I'd rather he was a functioning, contributing member of society rather than being on benefits with no future and no chance of rehabilitation.
Old 17-10-2014, 04:31 PM #24
Can I get a witness?

Favourites (more):
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle
Strictly 2019: Michelle Visage

Can I get a witness?

Favourites (more):
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle
Strictly 2019: Michelle Visage

Quote:
wtf he's clearly a paedophile
Old 17-10-2014, 04:39 PM #25
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josy View Post

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
convicted, hiring, jamie, oliver, paedophile, scrutiny