Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 23-04-2015, 06:49 PM #1
-

-

Default Race / immigration / foreign policy threads in serious debates...

I'll preface this by saying that, obviously, what is and isn't OK for this forum is completely down to the Administration / Mod team and I'm not in any way disputing that, nor am I going to bleat on about free speech because this is obviously a privately owned website.

What I am looking for, basically, is a straight and to-the-point answer on whether or not every thread as described in the title is going to be cropped down to a few pages, or deleted completely, as soon as it gets a little heated? I appreciate that the number of post reports etc. Must get irritating but... To be blunt... I doubt it's as irritating as spending time writing several long responses in a thread only for them to vaporise.

I'm genuinely only asking so that I know for certain that the best course of action is probably to avoid writing in such threads at all or at least keep responses down to a sentence or two.

To add my tuppence worth, I think it would actually be a great shame for it to go that way, because this is the first forum I've been on in a LONG time on which people can get very heated, even personal, in one thread and g yet remain lighthearted and friendly in other threads on the same day (or even at the same time!) and it's really very refreshing.

Kind regards and with all due respect,

Toyus Soldiericus of Tibberly Rock.

Commander of the armies of the North, heir to the demon.

/ T.S.

Xox
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 06:50 PM #2
You know my methods

You know my methods

well said you old commie bastard

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 06:58 PM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I'll preface this by saying that, obviously, what is and isn't OK for this forum is completely down to the Administration / Mod team and I'm not in any way disputing that, nor am I going to bleat on about free speech because this is obviously a privately owned website.

What I am looking for, basically, is a straight and to-the-point answer on whether or not every thread as described in the title is going to be cropped down to a few pages, or deleted completely, as soon as it gets a little heated? I appreciate that the number of post reports etc. Must get irritating but... To be blunt... I doubt it's as irritating as spending time writing several long responses in a thread only for them to vaporise.

I'm genuinely only asking so that I know for certain that the best course of action is probably to avoid writing in such threads at all or at least keep responses down to a sentence or two.

To add my tuppence worth, I think it would actually be a great shame for it to go that way, because this is the first forum I've been on in a LONG time on which people can get very heated, even personal, in one thread and g yet remain lighthearted and friendly in other threads on the same day (or even at the same time!) and it's really very refreshing.

/ T.S.

Xox
I could not have put it better my old sparring partner.
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 06:59 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
well said you old commie bastard

Peed mi sen'
Old 23-04-2015, 07:13 PM #5

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Love abit of Game of Thrones
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 08:29 PM #6
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

I agree I love reading a good barney it's what keeps me going in the lean off season LT threatening to report a post you don't see that too often
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 08:42 PM #7
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Great question, looking forward to the response
Old 23-04-2015, 08:46 PM #8
Mr Rocket League

Mr Rocket League

What you don't 'appear' to realise is that there has been a sharp sharp increase of immigration threads to serious debates in the past few weeks. Far far more than this forum can sustain and that's a FACT.

Now I'm not saying we should just get rid of all the immigration threads, that would be absurd but the FACT is and that's a FACT by the way is that this sub forum is absolutely full to the brim with good honest threads that really don't want to be caught up in all the savagery of immigration threads and posts.

I'm saying we should ideally be putting a stop to it as much as possible and if that makes me a 'censoring right winger' then so be it I will gladly wear it with pride and that's a FACT.
Kyle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 09:01 PM #9
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
What you don't 'appear' to realise is that there has been a sharp sharp increase of immigration threads to serious debates in the past few weeks. Far far more than this forum can sustain and that's a FACT.

Now I'm not saying we should just get rid of all the immigration threads, that would be absurd but the FACT is and that's a FACT by the way is that this sub forum is absolutely full to the brim with good honest threads that really don't want to be caught up in all the savagery of immigration threads and posts.

I'm saying we should ideally be putting a stop to it as much as possible and if that makes me a 'censoring right winger' then so be it I will gladly wear it with pride and that's a FACT.
I'm afraid I don't agree these immigration threads pose no threat to serious debates other than to keep it interesting
Old 23-04-2015, 09:08 PM #10
Mr Rocket League

Mr Rocket League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
I'm afraid I don't agree these immigration threads pose no threat to serious debates other than to keep it interesting
Are you aware of the number of innocent people who are receiving warnings and bans thanks to the evils of increased immigration posts?

The FACT is its chaos out there, this forum is not a big forum like momsnet or stampcollection.org they can take all these 'threads' we can't.

I've been saying this for weeks now, when we are looking at some time in the future like May 2015 this forum will be absolutely choc full of immigration posts and immigration threads that absolutely do not want to be a part of a peaceful civilised 'debate' like the rest of us. I'm sick of all this liberal do gooder oh let's leave all the threads alone they will make good honest poster likes me want to move to chat and games and I don't want that.

There needs to be a 'controlled' and regulated 'format' where undesirable immigration posts can be turned away. I'm sorry if that sounds callous but it's the way it is.
Old 23-04-2015, 09:17 PM #11
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Are you aware of the number of innocent people who are receiving warnings and bans thanks to the evils of increased immigration posts?

The FACT is its chaos out there, this forum is not a big forum like momsnet or stampcollection.org they can take all these 'threads' we can't.

I've been saying this for weeks now, when we are looking at some time in the future like May 2015 this forum will be absolutely choc full of immigration posts and immigration threads that absolutely do not want to be a part of a peaceful civilised 'debate' like the rest of us. I'm sick of all this liberal do gooder oh let's leave all the threads alone they will make good honest poster likes me want to move to chat and games and I don't want that.

There needs to be a 'controlled' and regulated 'format' where undesirable immigration posts can be turned away. I'm sorry if that sounds callous but it's the way it is.

Old 23-04-2015, 09:44 PM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post

Kyle's deffo been on the juice

Last edited by kirklancaster; 23-04-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Old 23-04-2015, 09:47 PM #13
Mr Rocket League

Mr Rocket League

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post

Kyle's deffo been on the juice
This is the worst party ever you all suck
Old 23-04-2015, 09:47 PM #14

Quote:
This is the worst party ever you all suck
Old 23-04-2015, 09:49 PM #15
-

-

Quote:

this is inspired.
Old 24-04-2015, 06:50 AM #16
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:

/ T.S.

Xox
...sorry if this post is rushed TS..(as I should be at work right now...)...but I just wanted to say from a personal viewpoint of what you've said....

..I can completely understand when posts are removed or a thread is closed and you've taken such time to write long posts/become involved, how annoying that is...but I'm finding it also annoying if I do have an interest in a thread..?...to have to scroll back through several pages to kind of find the thread of the thread so to speak because so many threads are often taken completely off course and so derailed that they're just so hard to follow/and almost nothing to do with the original topic in some cases....and it isn't that I'm not interested in what people have to say and their thoughts on these topics but it's often the same thoughts just repeated..?...posts that don't really say much different from the previous one and the one before and the thread before etc....I think maybe when Mods clean them, this could be why..?...to make it easier to keep it all on track and easier for members to post and follow etc...it also feels quite often that it's not really debate always...not countering the thoughts and opinions of others but more making judgements on the person or people with those opinions, if you know what I mean....I sometimes feel when a thread is closed....phewww, it'll be great to discuss other topics because that was an intense experience..... but then another race/immigration/religion etc type one seems to come and ..yeah, the same views obviously......and here we go again and it just doesn't give the best balance/variation and leave you really with anything much to say because you've already said it in another thread and many are so similar...(not you, I mean for me and maybe for others/I don't know..)....and also I think Iceman said, it often feels like people just wanting to get the last word and one up, type thing with each other or someone else so does that really leave it open for others to join in because their thoughts on the topic get a bit lost in all of it..../ thread derailments etc....it's all quite exhausting to follow and takes a lot of the inclination to post away...I also think that because it's quite often all repeated stuff etc..the thread gets closed because it's run it's course and just isn't 'debate' anymore and possibly hasn't been for several pages....

...anyway, that's all just my opinion and maybe another perspective of more an 'observer'....so yeah, sorry this is rushed, I just don't have a lot of time atm....
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 06:54 AM #17

"Toyus Soldiericus of Tibberly Rock. "

Get off your Horse and Rock
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 07:07 AM #18
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

......(I'm so going to get sacked for being late..)...but I guess what I mean is that I appreciate your frustrations, when you're involved/absorbed in a thread and you've taken time to write posts and want to continue a discussion etc/don't want posts removed/don't want threads closed.. but they really are so often massively derailed so there are other frustrations with that for other posters as well and trying to find the track of the thread again ...and staff have to try to take in all of these perspectives/think about everyone and try to get and keep a balance ..
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 07:21 AM #19
-

-

Ammi I don't disagree, threads do run their course and I don't really mind when they're closed once they start going around in circles, it's the actual deletions that bother me... As I post a fair bit on work days, which means I can get really into a debate sitting on the toilet in the morning (oh yes) and also on the commute to work, but then probably won't check in again until lunch time or maybe even dinner time, and a couple of times lately the thread has vanished by then... Or has been "pruned" into something so disjointed and confusing that it's impossible to read. So I don't even know what was said or what happened. It makes it really not worth getting involved in the first place. If it's just closed, that's fine, that's something to read! Usually something quite interesting!

Again though, I'm not telling anyone how to do anything (genuinely!), it's a privately owned site and totally up to the admins. I'm not in a huff! I just don't actually have huge amounts of free time and it seems like every thread on these topics goes belly up lately, and if it's going to be standard I just won't engage in the "immigration threads".

However I will say again that I think it would be a shame, because I think often those people involved in the more "heated" back and forth are actually enjoying it and I don't think it always needs to be nipped in the bud, I think for many it's an enjoyable part of the forum. Possibly worth mentioning that vBulletin also has a "split" function in the mod tools that can be used to siphon the posts in a thread that have gone off topic into a new thread, if it's still a valid and ongoing discussion. I think it's inevitable that "off topic" will happen... These threads are less a formal debate, and more like a heated discussion at a gathering of friends, and that sort of discussion will inevitably flow into completely different topics over the course of a few pages. Again though that's the site Admin's business. I really am only asking for my own selfish benefit .

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 24-04-2015 at 07:23 AM.
Old 24-04-2015, 07:27 AM #20
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
"Toyus Soldiericus of Tibberly Rock. "

Get off your Horse and Rock
No, Ser Arista. I have heard great tales of your many adventures in the service of the great deity Spacedata, but you shall not strip me of my steed nor my rock. Not this day.
Old 24-04-2015, 07:33 AM #21

Quote:
Ammi I don't disagree, threads do run their course and I don't really mind when they're closed once they start going around in circles, it's the actual deletions that bother me... As I post a fair bit on work days, which means I can get really into a debate sitting on the toilet in the morning (oh yes) and also on the commute to work, but then probably won't check in again until lunch time or maybe even dinner time, and a couple of times lately the thread has vanished by then... Or has been "pruned" into something so disjointed and confusing that it's impossible to read. So I don't even know what was said or what happened. It makes it really not worth getting involved in the first place. If it's just closed, that's fine, that's something to read! Usually something quite interesting!

Again though, I'm not telling anyone how to do anything (genuinely!), it's a privately owned site and totally up to the admins. I'm not in a huff! I just don't actually have huge amounts of free time and it seems like every thread on these topics goes belly up lately, and if it's going to be standard I just won't engage in the "immigration threads".

However I will say again that I think it would be a shame, because I think often those people involved in the more "heated" back and forth are actually enjoying it and I don't think it always needs to be nipped in the bud, I think for many it's an enjoyable part of the forum. Possibly worth mentioning that vBulletin also has a "split" function in the mod tools that can be used to siphon the posts in a thread that have gone off topic into a new thread, if it's still a valid and ongoing discussion. I think it's inevitable that "off topic" will happen... These threads are less a formal debate, and more like a heated discussion at a gathering of friends, and that sort of discussion will inevitably flow into completely different topics over the course of a few pages. Again though that's the site Admin's business. I really am only asking for my own selfish benefit .
I agree though, and ALL threads which are heavily debated/discussed are bound to get heated, the posts repetitive, and the arguments circular to a degree.

We all BELIEVE what we post and are passionate about our beliefs, so because we all have different beliefs on the same subject (wouldn't be a debate otherwise ) it's never going to be 'tea at the vicarage'.

I do not bear ill will or grudges and I'm sure no one else does, but certain people 'push my buttons' - as I'm sure that there are more than a few who I piss off, but that's a forum for you - a good active one with a high level of intelligence and knowledge anyway.
Old 24-04-2015, 07:34 AM #22

Quote:
No, Ser Arista. I have heard great tales of your many adventures in the service of the great deity Spacedata, but you shall not strip me of my steed nor my rock. Not this day.
Old 24-04-2015, 08:16 AM #23
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

I wasn't going to add anything here but I can understand Toy Soldiers frustration.
I know the mods and admin have their work cut out at times to keep order and so if they decide to take any action as to a thread,I would always 100% support their doing so.

What Toy Soldier has listed,race,immigration and foreign policy, are massively polarising and emotive topics.
That really cover so much ground,it is not surprising thay move off and expand in all directions, while still having the basis of the issue left in place and to be referred to.

The reasons why people think as they do, can open up many other avenues of discussion and debate on such a thread, that doesn't really mean the thread is way off course however.

A daft example here but I was watching TV with my cousins,there were 6 of us,it was an event in Holby City,that started a discussion,from that event.
With all of us then contributing loads of other areas,which were covered and the discussions expanded onto several other points.
All that resulted just from the first comment of the event on that TV programme.
It was amazing what was learned and debated just from that and it went on for ages, even when we had a meal at night.
That is what debate is however.
A reaction to an event or issue with all that could be expanded on from that into other related points or from the comments made by the individuals.

If insulting comes into play as to others, well that is where the arguments are lost and then perhaps the thread and topic need to be closed at that time.
Serious debates,means just that, an issue that is serious,and people will have massively opposing views and passions for one side of the arguments as to them, as will those on the other side.

So the way I see it, is if an issue is raised and then comments flow in, it will be inevitable for the thread to move off into other things that others may see as to further valid points in relation to same.

If however on a thread, only a question is asked, then really only the question needs to be answered and to be at the forefront of everything said.

A topic opened up however, will have many side alleys of further points that can be made or brought into the conversation which will then expand the thread into an ongoing fully inclusive discussion from that basic topic raised at the start.

Last edited by joeysteele; 24-04-2015 at 09:05 AM.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 08:17 AM #24

Quote:

Kyle - As TS says, this really is a great bit of satire.(clever twot: laugh
Old 24-04-2015, 08:41 AM #25

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Quote:

/ T.S.

Xox
I agree . Sometimes I just don't bother joining a debate ,due to the fact if you have a little spat , it gets censored , when most times posters sort it out themselves , you have to be able to say what's on your mind(within reason) to get your points across

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
debates, foreign, immigration, policy, race, serious, threads