Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 13-05-2015, 07:31 AM #1

Default UK : Rail Union Strike - Called Off After New Pay Offer

[Union members have voted to hold a railway strike that will disrupt service for millions of commuters]

Last edited by arista; 01-06-2015 at 06:29 PM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 07:38 AM #2
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Well they haven't forced it on the country, since this ballot would have satisfied even the newer tough measures for calling strike action that this govt; is planning to bring in.

People have the right to strike in the UK and although I disagree with this one, it has been voted for by the staff therefore it is fully legitimate.

Of course the govt; could try to be more consensual and talk rationally as to avoiding this.
Or it can go on its usual arrogant way, showing total disregard for a democratic process when it doesn't suit them.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 08:35 AM #3

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

No sympathy for them, poor beggars only being offered £500 a year pay rise this year, on top of what they have had above public sector workers in previous years.
Such a shame they can hold the country to ransom like this really.
No doubt the passengers will end up paying for it, in more ways than one.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 10:54 AM #4
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

'In both disputes members have voted by well over 80% for action in large turn outs. The results will now be considered by the union executive.
RMT Reps have been involved in extensive talks with Keolis/Amey Docklands management regarding the 2015 pay review and other issues including the shifting of the pay anniversary date. Following a series of meetings, the Company had failed to table a suitable pay offer and having noted the views of both reps and members, the RMT executive took the decision to conduct a ballot for strike action.'

'Meanwhile, in a separate dispute, RMT balloted staff on a contract awarded by Keolis/Amey Docklands to notorious anti-union facilities company Interserve.

RMT Reps have been in talks with Interserve management regarding a whole series of issues that remain unresolved and the union took the decision to conduct a ballot for strike action to protest against management’s failure to resolve the following:-

Members not being paid correctly or not being paid at all for the work you have done.

Members not receiving proper payslips.

Members not receiving set hours contract of employment and rosters, which we were told would be given to staff 3 months ago.

Members not receiving pay increases which maintain the differentials between grades. This is a long-standing claim from when the contract was with Carlisle Cleaning & Security.'

'As far as we are concerned the one off, non-consolidated, lump-sum payment this year is wholly inadequate and fails to recognise the massive pressures staff are working under to keep services running at a time when the company is generating profits of £1 billion. It is our members battling to keep Britain moving around the clock and they deserve a fair share from Network Rail for their incredible efforts.
“In addition, we are extremely concerned that the “No Compulsory Redundancy” commitment only applies to the first two years of the four year deal.

“RMT is in no doubt that this leaves Operations and Maintenance members extremely vulnerable, especially with the continued development of Rail Operating Centres and the on-going cuts programme at Network Rail.

“Our rail staff deserve a fair reward for the high-pressure, safety-critical work that they undertake day and night and the last thing that we need is a demoralised, burnt-out workforce living in fear for their futures and the message has come back loud and clear that that is exactly how they feel about the current offer from Network Rail.'

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/massive-...light-railway/

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/overwhel...work-rail-pay/

I 100% agree with the action, look what happens across the board when costs are cut and safety compromised, my feeling is disasters similar to those in America recently would almost certainly increase here too.
Old 13-05-2015, 11:15 AM #5
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

'It is important to put the pay situation into context. While they plead poverty, we have examples of three senior directors who are happy to award themselves +40% pay rises allowing them to reach near seven figure salaries. This is indicative of a corporate culture not just at Network Rail but across the rail industry where it’s one rule for the bosses and one rule for the workers. It’s time to say enough is enough and vote yes for action!!

What we know is their latest offer will see your pay fail to keep up with inflation and fails to give adequate job security. Network Rail made a £1.2 billion profit last year, double the previous year, and we believe you deserve fair reward for the hard work and long unsociable hours you do to keep the network running.'

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/rates-of...rk-rail010515/

https://www.rmt.org.uk/news/top-rail...pay-hypocrisy/
Old 13-05-2015, 11:36 AM #6
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Its a mess for sure with the unions and management both being at fault, I think. Safety is paramount in this and should never be compromised
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 01:54 PM #7
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Sack the lot of them.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 02:00 PM #8
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Sack the lot of them.
That attitude would for sure bring the country to a standstill and cause absolute chaos too.

Far better to work out a compromise and sort grievances out and not take such a hardline as to things in my view.
Old 13-05-2015, 02:03 PM #9
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
That attitude would for sure bring the country to a standstill and cause absolute chaos too.

Far better to work out a compromise and sort grievances out and not take such a hardline as to things in my view.
As striking is supposed to be a last resort I imagine that's all been tried already, all the compromising and the placating. And if it hasn't been tried, they have no right even thinking about striking.

All I know is that my season ticket costs thousands and I sometimes don't get a seat. Moreover, lots of people haven't had a rise at all because of the recession, and a significant number of those people will rely on trains to get to work.
Old 13-05-2015, 02:10 PM #10
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

I reckon everyone who uses trains to commute should join them in striking for a capping of fares and preferably a re-nationalisation
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 02:10 PM #11
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
As striking is supposed to be a last resort I imagine that's all been tried already, all the compromising and the placating. And if it hasn't been tried, they have no right even thinking about striking.

All I know is that my season ticket costs thousands and I sometimes don't get a seat. Moreover, lots of people haven't had a rise at all because of the recession, and a significant number of those people will rely on trains to get to work.
I don't agree with the strike but this ballot would have even fully complied with the more severe plans this govt; is setting out to do as to strike action.

The ballot is done, there is plenty of time to work out a compromise still by employers if they are willing to attempt to do so along with the Unions and staff too.

If they are not, and all that has so far failed,then the strike will in fact be the last resort.
The action totally legal and validated, and people shouldn't get sacked for doing nothing illegal.
Old 13-05-2015, 02:11 PM #12
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
I reckon everyone who uses trains to commute should join them in striking for a capping of fares and preferably a re-nationalisation
I would fully now support re-nationalisation.
Old 13-05-2015, 02:15 PM #13

I just fail to see what striking achieves other than cause hardships to people. Both my parents came out on strike when we were kids and the action didn't amount to anything really other than missed mortgage payments due to loss in salary for the time they were out.
Old 13-05-2015, 02:30 PM #14
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
I just fail to see what striking achieves other than cause hardships to people. Both my parents came out on strike when we were kids and the action didn't amount to anything really other than missed mortgage payments due to loss in salary for the time they were out.
Negotiation is the only sensible way forward, for either side in a dispute. What did the miners gain from all their action in the past. They put their families on the breadline. If they had negotiated, Thatcher wouldn't have been able to stick the boot in the way she did and kill workers rights for generations
Old 13-05-2015, 02:31 PM #15
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
Most of the people commuting aren't on NEARLY as high a wage as the train drivers. And if you think that the rail service is expensive and unreliable now it's privatised it's not nearly as bad as it was when it was nationalised.

#rosetintedspecs
Old 13-05-2015, 05:23 PM #16
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Most of the people commuting aren't on NEARLY as high a wage as the train drivers. And if you think that the rail service is expensive and unreliable now it's privatised it's not nearly as bad as it was when it was nationalised.

#rosetintedspecs
I personally cannot say for myself as to that as I wasn't born when they were privatised.

However my Father, a lifelong sceptic of nationalisation now says, it would be better for rail to be re-nationalised.
He said it has been a disaster since it was privatised and would welcome the change back any day of the week.
Old 13-05-2015, 05:34 PM #17
You know my methods

You know my methods

Strikes for this type of work should be illegal. Teachers too and tube workers.
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 06:15 PM #18
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
I personally cannot say for myself as to that as I wasn't born when they were privatised.

However my Father, a lifelong sceptic of nationalisation now says, it would be better for rail to be re-nationalised.
He said it has been a disaster since it was privatised and would welcome the change back any day of the week.
My father tells a different story. Also, he was a paramedic and never went on strike, ever. He crossed picket lines and got called a scab and other choice names because he committed to giving a life-or-death service when he signed up, and I'm extremely proud of him for that.
Old 13-05-2015, 06:32 PM #19

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
No sympathy for them, poor beggars only being offered £500 a year pay rise this year, on top of what they have had above public sector workers in previous years.
Such a shame they can hold the country to ransom like this really.
No doubt the passengers will end up paying for it, in more ways than one.
Yes,the cheeky gits,have you been on a train lately,always bloody packed.dirty and overpriced.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 06:38 PM #20
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:

Joey, it was an awful service when it was nationalised, however, I still think it is an awful service now, the trains may just run to time a bit more often. Railtrack and the private train companies have taken advantage for years, there should have been much more regulation and scrutiny. There have been failures after failures, and I blame successive governments for it. Will re nationalising it help, I very much doubt it. It needs improved regulation and accountability.
Old 13-05-2015, 07:01 PM #21
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Joey, it was an awful service when it was nationalised, however, I still think it is an awful service now, the trains may just run to time a bit more often. Railtrack and the private train companies have taken advantage for years, there should have been much more regulation and scrutiny. There have been failures after failures, and I blame successive governments for it. Will re nationalising it help, I very much doubt it. It needs improved regulation and accountability.
Agree with all of that.
Old 13-05-2015, 07:07 PM #22
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Yes, I can go with that too.
Old 13-05-2015, 07:13 PM #23

in truth the unions have a lot of corruption these days, many of its leaders are on high pay, like nearly on 100.000 pay checks,
empire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 07:43 PM #24
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:

#rosetintedspecs
I think you're the one with rose tinted specs Livia, What difference does it make what salary the train drivers are on?
And why should their job be compared to a commuters due to the fact they are requesting a fair wage... It's not relevant to the discussion in any way that you feel a train driver isn't entitled to job security and rights.
It's this mindset that is reversing the advances made in this country in respect of a fair secure wage in employment, the company is making huge profits and the workforce performing well why then should pay not reflect this?
The fares have risen exponentially since privatisation and interserve have gradually replaced contracted workers for those on 0hr or temp contracts to further cut costs.
Old 21-05-2015, 06:21 AM #25

VirginTrains has cancelled next Monday and Tuesday Trains
well ahead of the Strike.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
rail, strike, uk, union