Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 30-07-2015, 12:50 AM #1
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

Default Police firearms officer sues Scotland Yard for sexual discrimination.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...imination.html

Quote:
after his request for a five-year career break was refused while his wife's was granted.

A police firearms officer is suing for sex discrimination after he was refused a five-year career break which was granted to his wife.

Neil Annals worked for the Met's Diplomatic Protection Group and wanted leave so he and his wife, PC Grainne O'Reilly, could temporarily relocate to New Zealand with their son, now aged four.

But while his application for a break of up to five years was refused because it did not meet the force's criteria, his wife's was granted.

A tribunal has been told the couple wanted the break so they could spend time with Ms O'Reilly's elderly parents and experience a new way of life.

Mr Annals submitted his application in August 2014 selecting the reason for his absence as 'care for children or sick, elderly disabled dependents' from a list of options.

He wrote: 'This would be a once in a lifetime trip intended so that my son has the opportunity to meet family members he would otherwise never see and experience a different culture and way of life.

'The reason for going on this journey at this time is so that we can return to the UK in time for my son to settle into mainstream education without disruption, whilst giving him every opportunity to develop both personal and practical skills at a young age.

'The trip would also include elderly family members who may not be able to travel in future years.

'I may need to seek other employment to sustain my family during the career break but I am aware of the regulations surrounding this.'

But Mr Annals' request was refused in September 2014 and his appeal was rejected a month later.

He resigned from SO6 following his failed application and in his witness statement said his work prevented him from seeing his son.

Speaking via a video-link from New Zealand, where he now works for South Pacific Motorcycle Tours, he told Central London Employment Tribunal: 'It [the Met Police] is not an environment which is supportive of officers combining work and childcare responsibilities.

'I think that there is an assumption that the predominantly male officer workforce in SO6 provide for their children through work and that their female partners will look after the children.

He added: 'During my service I have been awarded several commendations, including a Commissioner's High Commendation for my role in the immediate response to the London Bombings on 7 July 2005.

'My faith in the organisation is now shattered, the overbearing conduct of senior officers having left me feeling demoralised and unwilling to perform my duties in case of further ridicule or scrutiny.'
Mr Annals wanted to go to New Zealand so he could spend time with his elderly in-laws, the tribunal heard
+5
Mr Annals wanted to go to New Zealand so he could spend time with his elderly in-laws, the tribunal heard
+5

Ms O'Reilly applied shortly afterwards for a career break, which she was granted.

In her witness statement she said: 'Naturally, I was anxious when I made my application for a career break.

'I was fortunate to not encounter any difficulties. My application was supported by my managers and processed without difficulty by HR.

'In contrast, unfortunately, my husband had a very difficult experience. Although our applications were in essence identical, my husband appeared to be involved in an entirely different and much more complex process.'

But the Met denies it was sexist and argued Mr Annals had wanted to find alternative employment during the break, which is against its conditions.

The application was denied by SO6 boss Chief Inspector Stephen Connor, who gave evidence at a tribunal.
Mr Annals was an officer in the Diplomatic Protection Group, which guard foreign embassies. File photo
+5

Mr Annals was an officer in the Diplomatic Protection Group, which guard foreign embassies. File photo

Miss Betsan Criddle, representing Mr Annals, put it to Mr Connor: 'It is right, isn't it, that what's going on here is that Mr Annals is assumed not to be caring for his son because that is not what male officers in SO6 do?

'If he had been a woman, it would have been assumed that he was going to share responsibility for that child in New Zealand.'

Mr Connor replied: 'I'm sorry, I really don't agree. I made my decision based on a consultation with HR and based on policy. He also intended to work full-time and I do not see that as compatible, and a number of senior HR colleagues agreed.'

Chief Superintendent Elaine Van-Orden in her witness statement said: 'It was clear to me that the claimant did not meet the criteria because he was not going to look after his child during the career break but instead would be working full-time.

'The claimant's sex was not a factor which I took into account when making my decision. If the same career break application had been made by a female, I would have not approved the application for the same reasons.'

The hearing continues.
Mr Annals told the hearing he had been commended for his response to the 7/7 bombings. File photo
+5

Mr Annals told the hearing he had been commended for his response to the 7/7 bombings. File photo

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 03:01 AM #2
User banned

User banned

Yet more irrefutable discrimination against men. It's everywhere now and I pray this man wins his case and gets a massive pay out.....MORE MEN EVERYWHERE SHOULD BE PURSUING THIS TYPE OF ACTION TO REBALANCE SOCIETY AND GET THEIR RIGHTS. (and before anyone bangs on Im being anti women again, I say rubbish, this kind of bias/unfairness hurts all of society including children and in this case hurts his wife too. Im also NOT blaming all women for the fact we end up in these ridiculous anti male situations, men themselves are as much to blame for not fighting for their rights)
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 03:39 AM #3

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I definitely think that no matter what way they try to spin this, the man should've also been allowed some time off I agree with you The Truth.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 09:41 AM #4
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

This man was obviously unfairly treated on the grounds of his sex. Disgusting. So much for equality in the workplace.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
discrimination, firearms, officer, police, scotland, sexual, sues, yard