Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:41 PM #1

Favourites:
BB17: Jayne

Favourites:
Default Government To Introduce Rules To Stop 'Political' Boycotts After Corbyn Calls To Puni

Government To Introduce Rules To Stop 'Political' Boycotts After Corbyn Calls To Punish Israel

"A boycott campaign has become an international movement in the last decade"

The government is to introduce new rules to stop "politically-motivated" boycotts by local councils.

Ministers said they would amend pension and procurement policies to prevent boycotts and removal of investments.

The Conservatives claim new Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn and trade unions had urged councils to "punish" Israel and UK defence firms.

Labour is yet to comment on the claim, but Mr Corbyn has backed boycotting goods produced in Israeli settlements.

He has also called for an arms embargo to be imposed on the country.

'Growing concern'

In recent months, Leicester City Council has boycotted goods from Israeli settlements in the West Bank - a move being challenged by Jewish Human Rights Watch.

The Labour-run council says it opposes "the continuing illegal occupation".

Leicester councillor Mohammed Dawood said in August the move "was not an attack on a particular faith but is about a particular policy."

"We are talking about produce… and we are saying we won't be getting anything from the illegally-occupied territories in the future," he said.

Four Scottish councils have resolved to boycott Israeli goods in recent years, according to the Scottish Palestine Solidarity Campaign.

Other councils in Wales and Northern Ireland have also backed boycotts.
A Conservative spokesman said there was "growing concern over militant actions of left-wing councils, spurred on by trade unions and the Labour leadership".

'Divisive policies'

Such actions "threaten to poison community relations and harm Britain's economic and international interests", the spokesman added.

"Labour's Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell, alongside Labour-affiliated trade unions, are urging councils to use their procurement and pension policies to punish both Israel and the UK defence industry," he said.

"Separate hard-left campaigns against British defence companies threaten to harm Britain's £10bn export trade, destroying British jobs, and hinder joint working with Israel to protect Britain from foreign cyber-attacks and terrorism," he added.

Greg Clark, secretary of state for communities and local government, said:

"Divisive policies undermine good community relations, and harm the economic security of families by pushing up council tax. We need to challenge and prevent the politics of division."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34433313

Last edited by letmein; 03-10-2015 at 07:43 PM.
letmein is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:22 PM #2

And not about time. In fact this does not go far enough - It's time that the British Government thoroughly investigated all the Muslim controlled British Councils, because a lot of them are corrupt dens of treacherous and dangerous fifth columnists who are in Public positions of power, funded by British rate and tax payers whilst promoting their own sinister agendas and employing distinctly anti-British policies.

As for Weasel Gummidge traitor Corbyn, he should be dropped from a plane into Syria without a parachute - perhaps his Islamic Terrorist cronies will catch him.

Last edited by kirklancaster; 03-10-2015 at 08:23 PM.
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:04 PM #3
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
BB19: Lewis F
iconic

Favourites (more):

wtf?

This is hugely undemocratic.. I hope the ECHR overrules.

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB18: Chanelle
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB14: Gina
BB8: Charley
BB7: Nikki
BB6: Makosi

JoshBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:16 PM #4
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

There is a free trade agreement between the EU and Israel.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:23 PM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
There is a free trade agreement between the EU and Israel.
And why would legalities and fair play bother Fifth Column Islamic Extremist factions on British Councils, especially now their official ass-licker, anti-Israeli, pro-Palestinian, pro-terrorist Weasel Gummidge Corbyn is supporting them?
Old 03-10-2015, 10:24 PM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBB View Post
wtf?

This is hugely undemocratic.. I hope the ECHR overrules.
This is a surprise.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:29 PM #7
iconic

Favourites (more):
iconic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
And why would legalities and fair play bother Fifth Column Islamic Extremist factions on British Councils, especially now their official ass-licker, anti-Israeli, pro-Palestinian, pro-terrorist Weasel Gummidge Corbyn is supporting them?
Why wouldn't you be pro-palestine? It was only after WW2 that we decided to create Israel.. until then it was literally only Palestine.

We need to find a two-state solution, but seriously you cannot erase the state of palestine from the world map.

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Old 03-10-2015, 10:35 PM #8

Quote:
Why wouldn't you be pro-palestine? It was only after WW2 that we decided to create Israel.. until then it was literally only Palestine.

We need to find a two-state solution, but seriously you cannot erase the state of palestine from the world map.
If you want to debate Palestine with me Josh, I welcome it, but if your statement above is typical of the depth of your knowledge, then I advise you to select a date in the future to do so which affords you the opportunity to do a hell of a lot more research on the subject - but choose your sources wisely.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:37 PM #9
iconic

Favourites (more):
iconic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
If you want to debate Palestine with me Josh, I welcome it, but if your statement above is typical of the depth of your knowledge, then I advise you to select a date in the future to do so which affords you the opportunity to do a hell of a lot more research on the subject - but choose your sources wisely.
Well, if you know so much, maybe you could explain it for me. I know a bit about the subject, but not in-depth.

Favourite housemates
Spoiler:

Old 04-10-2015, 09:02 AM #10

Quote:
Well, if you know so much, maybe you could explain it for me. I know a bit about the subject, but not in-depth.
Perhaps it would be far easier if you first explain the reasons why you are 'Pro-Palestinian' and why you would express surprise that I am not?

Last edited by kirklancaster; 04-10-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:12 AM #11

Why is no one boycotting buying gas at the pump then???

A lot of your petrol come from oil from Saudi Arabia and they have far more human rights abuses.

You buy gas(petrol) to fill up your car from a country that doesn't even let women drive ... I don't even have to list all of the human rights abuses against gays in that country...

Last edited by lostalex; 04-10-2015 at 09:14 AM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:14 AM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post

A lot of your petrol come from oil from Saudi Arabia and they have far more human rights abuses.

You buy gas(petrol) to fill up your car from a country that doesn't even let women drive ...
Great points Alex.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:20 AM #13

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Quote:

You buy gas(petrol) to fill up your car from a country that doesn't even let women drive ... I don't even have to list all of the human rights abuses against gays in that country...
Exactly!
But it would be racist to boycott anything from a muslim country obviously.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 09:58 AM #14
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
You are fully entitled to your view Josh and I agree there does need to be a 2 Nation state solution.

I am far from anti Israel, I fully take on board how hard it must be for Israel existing with so many hostile and really extreme Nations around them too.
However there are wrongs on both Israel's and the Palestinian sides which hopefully one day will get thrashed out and a meaningful solution found.
Which brings in and are based on mutual and fair respect for both Israelis and Palestinians.

You hold onto your views and don't be put down by anyone, we all have to learn and just picking at what someone says is hardly productive anyway.

In my opinion,you talk a great deal of sense, and more often than not, your posts are well balanced too.
Many hold the view you currently have too, I give you massive credit in the first place for even looking for a view.
If only more like you were really interested in the World and World affairs.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:59 AM #15

I agree with joey, especially about your posts being well balanced. By the time your 25 Josh, you will know and understand more about world politics than most people will do in their lifetime.

Keep interested, keep researching both sides of an argument and keep learning
Old 04-10-2015, 12:58 PM #16

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

It's a shame the councils dont spend more time concentrating on their local problems.
Put more effort supporting the people that pay the council tax and voted them into their council jobs.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 01:22 PM #17
iconic

Favourites (more):
iconic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Perhaps it would be far easier if you first explain the reasons why you are 'Pro-Palestinian' and why you would express surprise that I am not?
Because Palestine was there first..

Quote:

If there was a way to boycott that, I'm sure most would.. but gas isn't labelled by which country it comes from. I personally think we should stop all trades with that awful country but thats just me

Favourite housemates
Spoiler:

Old 04-10-2015, 01:24 PM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
You are fully entitled to your view Josh and I agree there does need to be a 2 Nation state solution.

I am far from anti Israel, I fully take on board how hard it must be for Israel existing with so many hostile and really extreme Nations around them too.
However there are wrongs on both Israel's and the Palestinian sides which hopefully one day will get thrashed out and a meaningful solution found.
Which brings in and are based on mutual and fair respect for both Israelis and Palestinians.

You hold onto your views and don't be put down by anyone, we all have to learn and just picking at what someone says is hardly productive anyway.

In my opinion,you talk a great deal of sense, and more often than not, your posts are well balanced too.
Many hold the view you currently have too, I give you massive credit in the first place for even looking for a view.
If only more like you were really interested in the World and World affairs.
No one is 'picking on' Josh, Joey. This is a - supposedly - adult forum where mature people discuss Serious topics. Josh's age has absolutely nothing to do with it - if he is old enough to proffer an opinion then he is old enough to receive a response.

I defy you or anyone to show me just where I have 'put' Josh down anymore than any of us are 'put down' on this forum by those who do not hold the same view.

Personally, I am sick and tired of the dishonesty which is employed by some on this forum - misrepresenting the true situation purely to make political capital out of it.

It was the same on another thread with a certain member wrongly claiming that I "had gotten personal" with Josh, when I had not, but - conveniently - there was no mention of Josh accusing me of being racist and xenophobic, which IS highly offensive and personal, when I am not.

LeatherTrumpet, Kyle and others have often greeted some of my posts with far more toxicity than I ever have with Josh, but I love and respect both of them.

If Josh puts a view forward on a forum, then please allow those of us who do not fit your particular ideologies to respond.

Josh started the discussion by stating surprise that I do not support the Palestinian version of events with Israel.

Do all you Left Wing on here REALLY want a forum where only one little clique dare express views?

I know it would suit certain member, but guess what Joey? I will not be forced to remain silent - whether by being 'outnumbered' or 'whether' due to intimidation by false accusation.

Josh has elected to join an adult forum and to discuss grown up topics, so please allow him to do just that.

And mods - please do not remove my post or infract me - I stand 'accused' whether named or not, and I am merely putting my response forward and explaining my view.

I have not been offensive to anyone in this response.

Last edited by kirklancaster; 04-10-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:26 PM #19
iconic

Favourites (more):
iconic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
No one is 'picking on' Josh, Joey. This is a - supposedly - adult forum where mature people discuss Serious topics. Josh's age has absolutely nothing to do with it - if he is old enough to proffer an opinion then he is old enough to receive a response.

I defy you or anyone to show me just where I have 'put' Josh down anymore than any of us are 'put down' on this forum by those who do not hold the same view.

Personally, I am sick and tired of the dishonesty which is employed by some on this forum - misrepresenting the true situation purely to make political capital out of it.

It was the same on another thread with a certain member wrongly claiming that I "had gotten personal" with Josh, when I had not, but - conveniently - there was no mention of Josh accusing me of being racist and xenophobic, which IS highly offensive and personal, when I am not.

LeatherTrumpet, Kyle and others have often greeted some of my posts with far more toxicity than I ever have with Josh, but I love and respect both of them.

If Josh puts a view forward on a forum, then please allow those of us who do not fit your particular ideologies to respond.

Josh started the discussion by stating surprise that I do not support the Palestinian version of events with Israel.

Do all you Left Wing on here REALLY want a forum where only one little clique dare express views?

I know it would suit certain member, but guess what Joey? I will not be forced to remain silent - whether by being 'outnumbered' or 'whether' due to intimidation by false accusation.

Josh has elected to join an adult forum and to discuss grown up topics, so please allow him to do just that.

And mods - please do not remove my post or infract me - I stand 'accused' whether named or not, and I am merely putting my response forward and explaining my view.

I would prefer if you didn't treat me like some child who doesn't know how to articulate sensible political opinions, because sometimes you post comments along the lines of "when you grow up you will realise" and it's rude.

Favourite housemates
Spoiler:

Old 04-10-2015, 01:31 PM #20

Quote:
I would prefer if you didn't treat me like some child who doesn't know how to articulate sensible political opinions, because sometimes you post comments along the lines of "when you grow up you will realise" and it's rude.
Where have I said that Josh?

I think you may be confusing me with this from Demolition Red:

"I agree with joey, especially about your posts being well balanced. By the time your 25 Josh, you will know and understand more about world politics than most people will do in their lifetime. "

Which - by the way is true. You will most certainly know more about many aspects of life in another 10 years time, but what is so wrong with stating that truth? How is that rude?

Or do you believe that you already know all there is to know? Because I dearly wish that I did.

But, Josh - you ARE a child. You are just 15 years old and are still a child. You may be precocious, but you are a child.

Hence the very reason that others are WRONGLY leaping to defend you.

Last edited by kirklancaster; 04-10-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:05 PM #21
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:

I guess you mean me? Yes you did get personal and you just did it again in the racism thread encouraging another member not to waste his time debating with Josh. I may not always agree with what Josh says but I defend his right to say it without being put down because of his age and told to learn more. I don't want to fall out with you Kirk but if you are going to involve me indirectly as you have in this thread I will respond, also I didn't conveniently forget anything I was responding to someone telling you to use the report button.

Last edited by Cherie; 04-10-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:22 PM #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
I guess you mean me? Yes you did get personal and you just did it again in the racism thread encouraging another member not to waste his time debating with Josh. I may not always agree with what Josh says but I defend his right to say it without being put down because of his age and told to learn more. I don't want to fall out with you Kirk but if you are going to involve me indirectly as you have in this thread I will respond, also I didn't conveniently forget anything I was responding to someone telling you to use the report button.
I don't want to fall out with anyone on here - I don't know them and they cannot affect my life one little iota - so why would I fall out with anyone?

However, this does not mean that I will 'lay down and die' just because I am outnumbered or because someone who has been a member on here longer than I have thinks they have a monopoly on the truth, which they most certainly DO NOT.

Josh is very intelligent, but also very naive - and that is NOT denigrating him - but is true of most children his age. If you deny this then your judgement is seriously flawed.

The thread in question has been closed, but, I believe, is still there to view, so I challenge you to prove to me by referencing it, just where I got personal with Josh to the degree that he FIRST got very personal with me by claiming that I was racist and xenophobic (not for the first time) when I most certainly am no such thing.

There is a certain futility in posting on these threads, because NEITHER side of an argument will ever cede - no matter how much corroborating evidence is given in support of a view, but i am afraid, because of Josh's inexperience and lack of maturity, he is particularly dogged in his views and particulary prone to ignoring rational argument and proof, if it is contrary to his opinion.

THIS was the reason for my comment that the other member was 'wasting his time'.

What is wrong with that?

You made adverse comments about me on a thread where you were not even participant, and now you are up in arms again because I have spoken the truth:

Did you criticise me for 'being personal with Josh' yet fail to criticise his offensive labelling of me a racist and xenophobe, or not?

Yes - of course you did.

There are other threads where you have been highly insulting and offensive to me but I did not reciprocate;

You called me a liar when I talked of my own personal experience of Benefit Cheating mothers with multiple children, and you did it again when I posted about my direct experience of SOME immigrants.

You do not OWN this forum, and you cannot continue to leap in at the drop of a hat when you perceive an opportunity to unfairly have a go at me - not without answer any more, I'm afraid.

I suggest the best solution is, that I put both you and Josh on 'IGNORE' and I please ask that both of you do the same with me.

Mods - There is again, nothing offensive in my response. Surely, I have the democratic right to respond to unwarranted allegation and defend myself against it with the truth.

Last edited by kirklancaster; 04-10-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:26 PM #23
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I don't want to fall out with anyone on here - I don't know them and they cannot affect my life one little iota - so why would I fall out with anyone?

However, this does not mean that I will 'lay down and die' just because I am outnumbered or because someone who has been a member on here longer than I have thinks they have a monopoly on the truth, which they most certainly DO NOT.

Josh is very intelligent, but also very naive - and that is NOT denigrating him - but is true of most children his age. If you deny this then your judgement is seriously flawed.

The thread in question has been closed, but, I believe, is still there to view, so I challenge you to prove to me by referencing it, just where I got personal with Josh to the degree that he FIRST got very personal with me by claiming that I was racist and xenophobic (not for the first time) when I most certainly am no such thing.

There is a certain futility in posting on these threads, because NEITHER side of an argument will ever cede - no matter how much corroborating evidence is given in support of a view, but i am afraid, because of Josh's inexperience and lack of maturity, he is particularly dogged in his views and particulary prone to ignoring rational argument and proof, if it is contrary to his opinion.

THIS was the reason for my comment that the other member was 'wasting his time'.

What is wrong with that?

You made adverse comments about me on a thread where you were not even participant, and now you are up in arms again because I have spoken the truth:

Did you criticise me for 'being personal with Josh' yet fail to criticise his offensive labelling of me a racist and xenophobe, or not?

Yes - of course you did.

There are other threads where you have been highly insulting and offensive to me but I did not reciprocate;

You called me a liar when I talked of my own personal experience of Benefit Cheating mothers with multiple children, and you did it again when I posted about my direct experience of SOME immigrants.

You do not OWN this forum, and you cannot continue to leap in at the drop of a hat when you perceive an opportunity to unfairly have a go at me - not without answer any more, I'm afraid.

I suggest the best solution is, that I put both you and Josh on 'IGNORE' and I please ask that both of you do the same with me.

Mods - There is again, nothing offensive in my response. Surely, I have the democratic right to respond to unwarranted allegation and defend myself against it with the truth.

Why should I put you on ignore I don't have anyone on ignore and I'm not going to start now. I don't need you to find solutions for me and whose posts I read or respond to thanks very much, you sort yourself out. Where do you get the idea that I think I own the forum, if I have an issue with something you have said I will say it, thats how the forum works whether you have been here for a day or 10 years, if you think I have overstepped the mark please report me or address yourself directly to me rather than writing about it in post directed at another member.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:44 PM #24
iconic

Favourites (more):
iconic

Favourites (more):

Kirk I'm not going to put you on ignore, because the whole point of debate is to discuss ideas with people that you disagree with, and it wouldn't be right to make it so I can't see posts that I don't like. That would be pointless and wouldn't broaden my own knowledge of any subject.

Favourite housemates
Spoiler:

Old 04-10-2015, 06:57 PM #25

the fact that both sides, are to blame for the conflict, because they both broke the promise in the peace treaty, people there are sick to the teeth of air strikes, and rockets being fired, america has wasted its money, in giving aid to israel, as much as hamas telling there people that they will win by the the bomb and bullet, in fact both sides know that they will never beat each over, boycotts will never work, because they don't stop the war from happening, israel needs to give up trying to control the arab world, and turn away from the militaristic way of thinking, the arabs need to understand that the gun, will never give them what they want, and it is the people that will suffer for it, boycott law is pointless, because boycotting does little to hurt the country.
empire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
boycotts, calls, corbyn, government, introduce, political, puni, rules, stop