Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:28 AM #1

Default we done it ? we saved the earth for 5p per bag

we done it ? we saved the earth for 5p per bag 05.10.15

we all no earth is crumbling
its getting warmer in antarctica
the UK now has earth rumbling
are you gobbed smacked its sizzling in africa.
don't mention the rain forest
or the UK greenbelt
all supermarkets are putting out of business the funeral florist
our rising population has nothing to do with the melt.
are there going to be disputes
will check out wars will spread like plaque
or are we under the thumb and no the pollutes
we are going to be respectful and civil unlike in iraqi.
beers wines and spirits will boom
alcohol will be monday flavour
a dark cloud over us does loom
for 5p a bag we all are the savour.
no more global warming
the news will have to be brief
for conversation we will need brain storming
but i am skeptical if 5p per bag will give the planet relief.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34438030
waterhog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:10 AM #2

I think it will make people more careful about just how many plastic carrier bags we buy and more importantly, how readily we throw them away. Recycling in this country is very hit and miss. Its time we caught up with other European countries and if that means less carrier bags on our landfill sites, then at least to me, that's a good thing.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:47 AM #3

hi red - I just picked up on a other forums a main point I missed. we pay a supermarket for a bag and then when we walk out we are advertising for them. maybe they need to pay us 5p for bag or at least advertising there shop.
waterhog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:20 AM #4
-

-

It's been in Scotland for ages now and have to be totally honest here; for me at least, it doesn't make me any more earth-friendly. I mean, if I go to ASDA Walmart and spend £50 on food, and the food I buy fills let's say 6 bags, I'm not really going to be bothered that my new total is £50.30. I mean is anyone REALLY bothered about spending an extra 5p - 50p? And is anyone likely to have many more than 10 bags? It's not "real money", it's the sort of money you'll find on the floor of the car or down the back of the couch if you bother to have a look...

They'd have to make it like 50p a bag for me to be motivated to take my own bags.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:26 AM #5
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
It's been in Scotland for ages now and have to be totally honest here; for me at least, it doesn't make me any more earth-friendly. I mean, if I go to ASDA Walmart and spend £50 on food, and the food I buy fills let's say 6 bags, I'm not really going to be bothered that my new total is £50.30. I mean is anyone REALLY bothered about spending an extra 5p - 50p? And is anyone likely to have many more than 10 bags? It's not "real money", it's the sort of money you'll find on the floor of the car or down the back of the couch if you bother to have a look...

They'd have to make it like 50p a bag for me to be motivated to take my own bags.
..tells ASDA to start charging you 50p per bag.....are you not missing the point a bit though, it's not so much the added money as to why we shouldn't be using them...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:27 AM #6
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..I've never found 50p in a car park I don't think...
Old 05-10-2015, 10:30 AM #7
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..tells ASDA to start charging you 50p per bag.....are you not missing the point a bit though, it's not so much the added money as to why we shouldn't be using them...
Well yes but if it was JUST about to social conscience then there wouldn't need to be a charge at all... People would use less just because it's "the right thing to do". Putting a charge on them is an attempt to "encourage" people to do it to save money when otherwise they wouldn't care. I'm just sayin'... 5p isn't a large enough amount to really make that happen. The people who care will use reusable bags but they would have done it anyway even if the bags were free. The horrible unvironmentalists like me who don't give a stuff about ducks getting tangled in my Co op bags or whatever aren't going to change our nasty habits to save a mere 5p....
Old 05-10-2015, 10:39 AM #8
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Well yes but if it was JUST about to social conscience then there wouldn't need to be a charge at all... People would use less just because it's "the right thing to do". Putting a charge on them is an attempt to "encourage" people to do it to save money when otherwise they wouldn't care. I'm just sayin'... 5p isn't a large enough amount to really make that happen. The people who care will use reusable bags but they would have done it anyway even if the bags were free. The horrible unvironmentalists like me who don't give a stuff about ducks getting tangled in my Co op bags or whatever aren't going to change our nasty habits to save a mere 5p....
...but to some whose income is extremely budgeted to almost the last penny...30/40p is a lot of extra money each week and to pay that week after week for carrier bags...it would make so much more sense to buy their re-usable bags one week at a time even and then they won't have anything extra to pay for a while so it just makes sense to do it and I think people will...you just have far too much spare change TS...
Old 05-10-2015, 10:45 AM #9
-

-

Quote:
...but to some whose income is extremely budgeted to almost the last penny...30/40p is a lot of extra money each week and to pay that week after week for carrier bags...it would make so much more sense to buy their re-usable bags one week at a time even and then they won't have anything extra to pay for a while so it just makes sense to do it and I think people will...you just have far too much spare change TS...
It's more about the way it scales, though. If you're not spending much then it's going to cost you 5p... If it's costing more than say 30p (six bags) then you must have spent at LEAST £30, which then makes the 30p negligible.

Anyway, it's been in practice up here for ages, and genuinely, I'd day less than 10% of people actually carry bags around with them. Most people just pay the extra. Although I guess 10% is better than nothing (if you care about the ducks and stuff).

I would be interested to know EXACTLY where that money goes, though. As far as I know the supermarkets don't get to keep it, but they ARE allowed to make profits on their "bags for life" (which, by the way, are crap and fall apart after a couple of uses).
Old 05-10-2015, 10:57 AM #10
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
It's more about the way it scales, though. If you're not spending much then it's going to cost you 5p... If it's costing more than say 30p (six bags) then you must have spent at LEAST £30, which then makes the 30p negligible.

Anyway, it's been in practice up here for ages, and genuinely, I'd day less than 10% of people actually carry bags around with them. Most people just pay the extra. Although I guess 10% is better than nothing (if you care about the ducks and stuff).

I would be interested to know EXACTLY where that money goes, though. As far as I know the supermarkets don't get to keep it, but they ARE allowed to make profits on their "bags for life" (which, by the way, are crap and fall apart after a couple of uses).

..it's not all about the fluffy ducks.....us humans quite like this earth as well and it lasting longer for our children and children's children etc is all a good thing...waddle they do without it....

..yeah, the charges were something I was worried about because them going to the supermarkets themselves would be all kinds of wrong considering all of the non environmentally packaged stuff they sell and how ironic that would be but it's all going to charity...(I think..)..the charities will be different with each one because the one I shop at is all local charities atm and chosen by the shoppers and will change regularly...they've already been doing that at Waitrose for quite some time with the green tokens at the checkouts, I don't know if you've eve r seen that...but you put your token in the charity you want to support and then funds are donated ...
Old 05-10-2015, 11:00 AM #11
-

-

Quote:
..it's not all about the fluffy ducks.....us humans quite like this earth as well and it lasting longer for our children and children's children etc is all a good thing...waddle they do without it....

..yeah, the charges were something I was worried about because them going to the supermarkets themselves would be all kinds of wrong considering all of the non environmentally packaged stuff they sell and how ironic that would be but it's all going to charity...(I think..)..the charities will be different with each one because the one I shop at is all local charities atm and chosen by the shoppers and will change regularly...they've already been doing that at Waitrose for quite some time with the green tokens at the checkouts, I don't know if you've eve r seen that...but you put your token in the charity you want to support and then funds are donated ...
That's just it though... People trekking to the supermarket with their reusable bags to save the world, and then leaving with those bags stuffed full of mass farmed, chemical-filled, over-processed, over-packaged food. It's a bit of a joke isn't it?
Old 05-10-2015, 11:02 AM #12

This isn't just supermarkets. I believe its being rolled out to all shops.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:04 AM #13
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
That's just it though... People trekking to the supermarket with their reusable bags to save the world, and then leaving with those bags stuffed full of mass farmed, chemical-filled, over-processed, over-packaged food. It's a bit of a joke isn't it?
..well yes, a bit if the packaging of stuff being bought is disregarded as well and no thought given.....but for many that isn't the case though...
Old 05-10-2015, 11:04 AM #14
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..think and shop TS, you know..multi task....
Old 05-10-2015, 11:10 AM #15
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
This isn't just supermarkets. I believe its being rolled out to all shops.
Yes it's everywhere including take away food which is a bit ridiculous (like I said, this was rolled out in guinea-pig lan... I mean Scotland, over a year ago (I think, it seems like forever anyway).

They actually ask you, when you blatantly don't have a bag and there's containers of hot food sat on the counter, "Do you want a bag with that? It's 5p"

No sir I do not want a bag, I've brought some glue. Just ****ing glue everything to my face and arms, ok?
Old 05-10-2015, 11:14 AM #16
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..paper bags though, they don't have to be plastic..?...our take-aways locally are all recyclable packaging...
Old 05-10-2015, 11:18 AM #17
-

-

Quote:
..paper bags though, they don't have to be plastic..?...our take-aways locally are all recyclable packaging...
Why don't you want me to have delicious plastic bags? Why are you bullying me?
Old 05-10-2015, 11:23 AM #18
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Why don't you want me to have delicious plastic bags? Why are you bullying me?
..ok I'll leave you alone then...(but truthfully, I'm just waiting for a PM from someone so you're filling my time quite nicely ...I'm sure there's a land fill pun there somewhere...)..I like how much of a mess you are.....
Old 05-10-2015, 11:54 AM #19
-

-

Quote:
..ok I'll leave you alone then...(but truthfully, I'm just waiting for a PM from someone so you're filling my time quite nicely ...I'm sure there's a land fill pun there somewhere...)..I like how much of a mess you are.....
Ooooh a PM from who is it a boy is it nekked selfies what's the gossip??
Old 05-10-2015, 01:22 PM #20
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Ooooh a PM from who is it a boy is it nekked selfies what's the gossip??
..oh sorry, I just logged off earlier...I don't think Kirk will mind me saying that it was from him but there was no gossip...it did involve pictures though but they weren't dodgy ones...../true fact...
Old 05-10-2015, 01:23 PM #21
-

-

Quote:
I don't think Kirk will mind me saying that it was from him but there was no gossip...it did involve pictures though
Old 05-10-2015, 01:23 PM #22

Favourites (more):
CBB18: Ricky Norwood
Strictly 2016: Greg Rutherford

Favourites (more):
CBB18: Ricky Norwood
Strictly 2016: Greg Rutherford

Ive been prepared and had my own bag for life for a bit now although my mum works in a shop and shes gonna be bombared by people who aren't prepared

Founder of the Hate Louis Walsh Fanclub
Founder of the Glyn fanclub
Member 15 of the Luke fanclub
member 34 of the kat fanclub
member 11 of the rex fanclub
Member of the rachel fanclub
BigSister is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:33 PM #23
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Quote:

It's .35c a bag here, most people do actually bring bags for their weekly shop

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:40 PM #24

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

It's the staff member at the self sevice checkout that i feel for.She was having to run round checking receipts and handing bags out in our local Asda this morning.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:23 PM #25
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
It's the staff member at the self sevice checkout that i feel for.She was having to run round checking receipts and handing bags out in our local Asda this morning.
You won't feel that way in a couple of weeks, when instead they just take all the bags away and make you go looking for them if you dare to want a bag.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
5p, bag, earth, saved