Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 19-11-2015, 07:08 PM #1
I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):

Default A Transgender Woman Found Dead In Prison

A transgender woman who told her friends she would kill herself if she was sent to a male prison has been found dead in jail.

Vicky Thompson, 21, was being held at Armley, Leeds, where she was pronounced dead on Friday.

Friends of Ms Thompson, who was born male but had identified as female since her mid-teens, said she had asked to be sent to a female prison.

An investigation into her death has been launched, the Prison Service said.

Ms Thompson, from Keighley, West Yorkshire, was handed a 12-month jail term in August which was suspended for 24 months.

The BBC understands she later breached the terms of the sentence, and was remanded in custody at Bradford Crown Court.

Her solicitor, Mohammed Hussain, said he had advised the judge she was "essentially a woman" and asked for her to be sent to New Hall women's prison, near Wakefield.

He said he also asked for any sentence to be reduced if it was decided Ms Thompson would be sent to an all-male prison.

Mr Hussain described Ms Thompson, who had not undergone gender reassignment surgery, as a vulnerable transgender person.

The issue of sentencing transgender prisoners was raised last month, after Tara Hudson was initially sent to an all-male prison.

She was later*transferred to a female jail*after a campaign calling for her to be moved.

Alex Kaye, from SafeT, which represents transgender people, said he hoped Ms Thompson's death would bring about a change in the law.

"Any woman would not be happy to be in a male prison regardless of any gender identity history," he said.

Transgender prison rules Prisoners should be placed according to their gender "as recognised by UK law" - usually as stated on their birth certificateIf a person has obtained a "gender recognition certificate", they will have a new birth certificate in their "acquired gender"Prisoners who obtain a gender recognition certificate while in prison "should in most cases be transferred to the estate of their acquired gender"But the rules also say some transgender people will be "sufficiently advanced in the gender reassignment process" that they could be placed "in the estate of their acquired gender, even if the law does not yet recognise they are of their acquired gender"Where issues arise, a "case conference" should be held to "review the prisoner's individual circumstances and make a recommendation"

Source:*The Care and Management of Transsexual Prisoners, Ministry of Justice website

Ms Thompson's boyfriend, Robert Steele, said he had spoken to her a day before and had booked a visit to the prison before her death.

"She didn't like it in there because people were saying things to her because she was dressing as a female," he said.

A Prison Service spokesperson said: "HMP Leeds prisoner Vicky Thompson was found unresponsive on the evening of Friday, 13 November.

"Staff and paramedics attempted resuscitation but she was pronounced dead at 20:48 GMT.

"As with all deaths in custody there will be an investigation by the independent Prisons and Probation Ombudsman".

West Yorkshire Police said Ms Thompson's death was not being treated as suspicious.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-34869620

Spoiler:

[/CENTER]

Denver is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 07:13 PM #2

To be fair, that is a grey area.

Someone who has legally changed their sex/gender or had reassignment surgery it is relatively simple to treat them as their assigned/preferred gender.

Someone who simply chooses to wear clothes traditionally worn by another gender shouldn't warrant moving to a different prison. Opens the floodgates for anybody to say "I'm not legally this nor made any actual changes but I would like...." It's a farce tbh.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 07:15 PM #3

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
To be fair, that is a grey area.

Someone who has legally changed their sex/gender or had reassignment surgery it is relatively simple to treat them as their assigned/preferred gender.

Someone who simply chooses to wear clothes traditionally worn by another gender shouldn't warrant moving to a different prison. Opens the floodgates for anybody to say "I'm not legally this nor made any actual changes but I would like...." It's a farce tbh.
Old 19-11-2015, 07:22 PM #4

Yeah, I sound a little heartless there. You know, heartbreaking for the person who this happened to and tragic but, yeah.
Old 19-11-2015, 07:33 PM #5
we

Favourites:
BB7: Jayne

we

Favourites:
BB7: Jayne

RIP
Samm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 07:49 PM #6
You know my methods

You know my methods

what was she in for?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 07:52 PM #7
Locke.

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
CBB20: Paul Danan

Locke.

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Paul Danan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
what was she in for?
Something that would be mentioned in the article the other 99.99% of the time. Very odd that it isn't here.
Locke. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 09:37 PM #8
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Really surprised that following the other transgender female transferred she wasn't.
Old 19-11-2015, 09:38 PM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Really surprised that following the other transgender female transferred she wasn't.
If we transferred people for their whims the system would be in a worse state than it is.
Old 19-11-2015, 09:43 PM #10
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
iconic

Favourites (more):

RIP.

Regardless of their crime, they should serve their time fairly in the correct gendered prison. It's utterly ridiculous that someone should be put in a male prison when they so clearly identify as a woman. Forget the legal nonsense, it's not like she kept silent and suddenly decided to kill herself in prison.. this is something that has undoubtedly been brought up repeatedly yet ignored despite the clear mental health risks and discrimination involved with this.

Just wrong. I'm not going to go along with the whole "respect the law! she broke it, tough luck!!" mentality. Truly respecting the law would be to punish those who break it properly, by sentencing them correctly.

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB14: Gina
BB8: Charley
BB7: Nikki
BB6: Makosi

JoshBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 09:44 PM #11
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

Old 19-11-2015, 09:45 PM #12
I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):

I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBB View Post
RIP.

Regardless of their crime, they should serve their time fairly in the correct gendered prison. It's utterly ridiculous that someone should be put in a male prison when they so clearly identify as a woman. Forget the legal nonsense, it's not like she kept silent and suddenly decided to kill herself in prison.. this is something that has undoubtedly been brought up repeatedly yet ignored despite the clear mental health risks and discrimination involved with this.

Just wrong. I'm not going to go along with the whole "respect the law! she broke it, tough luck!!" mentality. Truly respecting the law would be to punish those who break it properly, by sentencing them correctly.
She had not undergone surgery so still a man in the eyes of the law

Spoiler:

[/CENTER]

Old 19-11-2015, 09:46 PM #13

Quote:
this is something that has undoubtedly been brought up repeatedly yet ignored despite the clear mental health risks and discrimination involved with this.
How do you know it's been brought up repeatedly?

According to the article she broke the rules of her sentence too, so if she wanted respect you'd think she'd do the same.
Old 19-11-2015, 09:51 PM #14
iconic

Favourites (more):
iconic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam. View Post
Oh give me a break. She is CLEARLY identifying as a woman, and she even said that if she went to a male prison she would commit suicide. Why on earth did they ignore this and send her there anyway??

The legal status should have been sorted out BEFORE sending her into an environment she would be attacked, harrassed, and experience poor mental health - and suicide, the unfortunate end result.

Quote:
How do you know it's been brought up repeatedly?

According to the article she broke the rules of her sentence too, so if she wanted respect you'd think she'd do the same.
Well, we know that she said that she would kill herself if sent to a male prison - so we can logically make the assumption that she was not sent there without concern raised. And regarding your last statement, mental health of prisoners is important regardless of crimes committed.. and though she may have broken the rules of her sentence (I must have flicked past that), she is still a human being - and with transgender people, they face a lot of discrimination and why the hell she was sent there I want to know. The people responsible should be sacked or worse.

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Old 19-11-2015, 09:52 PM #15
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
If we transferred people for their whims the system would be in a worse state than it is.
Hang on, I didn't suggest that...however it shouldn't be one rule for one due to a little media attention and another for everyone else.
Old 19-11-2015, 09:54 PM #16

Quote:
Hang on, I didn't suggest that...however it shouldn't be one rule for one due to a little media attention and another for everyone else.
I never said that's what you suggested.

It wasn't one rule for one, they were both sent to male prisons.
Old 19-11-2015, 09:55 PM #17
I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):

I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Oh give me a break. She is CLEARLY identifying as a woman, and she even said that if she went to a male prison she would commit suicide. Why on earth did they ignore this and send her there anyway??

The legal status should have been sorted out BEFORE sending her into an environment she would be attacked, harrassed, and experience poor mental health - and suicide, the unfortunate end result.

Well, we know that she said that she would kill herself if sent to a male prison - so we can logically make the assumption that she was not sent there without concern raised. And regarding your last statement, mental health of prisoners is important regardless of crimes committed.. and though she may have broken the rules of her sentence (I must have flicked past that), she is still a human being - and with transgender people, they face a lot of discrimination and why the hell she was sent there I want to know. The people responsible should be sacked or worse.
Whether she identified as a girl or if she took no steps to change her body into a female body how can she being treated like a women? Female prison would be up in arms over it

Spoiler:

[/CENTER]

Old 19-11-2015, 09:55 PM #18

Quote:
Yeah, people are discriminated against for many reasons, especially in a prison environment, transgendered or not.

If people could be taken to a separate prison based on their "differences" it would be one prison per person.

As it is, this prisoner was male and therefore in a male prison.

Last edited by Marsh.; 19-11-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 19-11-2015, 10:05 PM #19
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
I never said that's what you suggested.

It wasn't one rule for one, they were both sent to male prisons.
When did I say people should be transferred on a whim then?...

I am aware they were both sent to male prisons too, and yet one was transferred... either they all are or none, it shouldn't be a lottery.
Old 19-11-2015, 10:06 PM #20

Quote:
When did I say people should be transferred on a whim then?...

I am aware they were both sent to male prisons too, and yet one was transferred... either they all are or none, it shouldn't be a lottery.
Yes. And anyone who says they're a monkey should be transferred to a zoo too.

I never said you did. I'm calling it a whim.

Last edited by Marsh.; 19-11-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 19-11-2015, 10:15 PM #21
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB19: Sian

the prison service evaluates the suitability of a prison for each and every prisoner when they are first assigned. This applies to every single person and takes into account personal circumstances.

Why make a system less flexible than it already is, it doesn't make sense.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 10:23 PM #22
iconic

Favourites (more):
iconic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Whether she identified as a girl or if she took no steps to change her body into a female body how can she being treated like a women? Female prison would be up in arms over it
Forced sex reassignment? No. That would be a huge step backwards, and not only that but it would be a huge breach of human & transgender rights.

Quote:
Yeah, people are discriminated against for many reasons, especially in a prison environment, transgendered or not.

If people could be taken to a separate prison based on their "differences" it would be one prison per person.

As it is, this prisoner was male and therefore in a male prison.
We are talking gender here. The UK officially recognises two, and so we are not having a 'one prison per person' type situation here. That is quite an exaggeration.

People are discriminated in prison for a number of reasons. I agree with you. We need to prevent that - and one of the ways we can do this is to place prisoners in the correct prisons so they can at least feel comfortable with their own body & self-esteem, I don't doubt issues with prejudice & harassment will still arise but it would be much worse with her in a male prison.

Favourite housemates
Spoiler:

Old 19-11-2015, 10:25 PM #23

Quote:
We are talking gender here. The UK officially recognises two, and so we are not having a 'one prison per person' type situation here. That is quite an exaggeration.
Not really. He "says" he's woman but his legal status is that of a man.

If they were serious you'd think they'd have taken steps to be recognised as their chosen gender? No.

If it was a case of wanting a different name, you wouldn't expect to be officially recognised by your chosen nickname in any court/prison/legal matter unless you'd taken steps to officially change the name on your records?

In a perfect world we could take people at face value, but then that opens up a can of worms that's difficult to close.

Last edited by Marsh.; 19-11-2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old 19-11-2015, 10:27 PM #24

Quote:
Yes but she was a woman in her own eyes. 21 is still very young to have gone through surgery; that doesn't mean she wasn't on female hormones and attending all the counselling required before being considered for reassignment surgery.

We have a family friend who is pre-op transgender, female to male. he's had all the hormones and so he's lost the hips, grown a beard and now speaks with a deeper voice. He straps his still female breasts down and there is no way you would know that he was anything other than a bloke unless he took his clothes off. You couldn't and shouldn't send someone like him to a female prison if he committed a crime...he's a man!

This is just so, so wrong.
R.I.P. Vicky Thompson, you didn't deserve this.
Old 19-11-2015, 10:34 PM #25
iconic

Favourites (more):
iconic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Not really. He "says" he's woman but his legal status is that of a man.

If they were serious you'd think they'd have taken steps to be recognised as their chosen gender? No.

If it was a case of wanting a different name, you wouldn't expect to be officially recognised by your chosen nickname in any court/prison/legal matter unless you'd taken steps to officially change the name on your records?

In a perfect world we could take people at face value, but then that opens up a can of worms that's difficult to close.
She says she is a woman, and the legal status clearly needs changing. We can't just stick our heads in the sand and ignore their clear gender identity for the sake of what's written on paper. You seem to care more for the logistics of things than the people actually involved. I recognise that we cannot assume a gender and that we must seek their legal recognition. But when it has been brought up that said document is wrong, we must correct it before putting someone into an environment where they will not be comfortable.

Favourite housemates
Spoiler: