Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:21 PM #1

Default Google Questioned Again , Today in Parliament

To be Fair
they are paying Legal Tax

http://news.sky.com/story/1640128/go...lanet-over-tax

Why the Feck in 13 years of power did
New Labour do nothing to change any Tax Laws?

Last edited by arista; 11-02-2016 at 06:31 PM.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:46 PM #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
To be Fair
they are paying Legal Tax

http://news.sky.com/story/1640128/go...lanet-over-tax

Why the Feck in 13 years of power did
New Labour do nothing to change any Tax Laws?
Because NL, just like the Tory's believe tax compliance is just for little people.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:52 PM #3
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
Because NL, just like the Tory's believe tax compliance is just for little people.
Agreed.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:15 PM #4
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
BB19: Lewis F
iconic

Favourites (more):

New Labour & Tories have been equally awful on getting big business to pay their tax.. if people at the bottom overclaim benefits they go to prison and then we have documentaries vilifying ALL benefit claimants and labelling them "scroungers". Yet when big businesses like Google don't pay their tax, it's totally fine and we pander to them so that they will at least pay some tax. I think they are forgetting that the reason they have their profits is the result of the people using their site, and they need to give back to society. Corporate tax isn't even that high in our country compared to others, ffs.

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB14: Gina
BB8: Charley
BB7: Nikki
BB6: Makosi

JoshBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:35 PM #5
0_o

0_o

I find it amazing that companies like this can get away with paying so little tax...

My father in law was being chased like hell for 15k. At no point was he told 'oh, if you pay twenty quid the rest will be written off and we will class it as a victory'
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:42 PM #6
iconic

Favourites (more):
iconic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
I find it amazing that companies like this can get away with paying so little tax...

My father in law was being chased like hell for 15k. At no point was he told 'oh, if you pay twenty quid the rest will be written off and we will class it as a victory'
It's really disgusting how struggling small businesses are chased and penalised over their taxes while corporations with huge profit margins can get away with paying only a fraction of what they owe. It's just not fair and sets the precedent that it's okay for big companies to avoid paying their tax.

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB14: Gina
BB8: Charley
BB7: Nikki
BB6: Makosi

JoshBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:15 PM #7
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

For anyone interested in tax avoidance issues, I would definitely recommend these two BBC2 documentaries that aired a couple of weeks ago:

The Town That Took on the Tax Man (featuring Heydon Prowse off of The Revolution Will Be Televised)

Britain's Trillion Pound Island - Inside Cayman

The first has some truly astounding facts and figures and launches a rather commendable campaign, and the second's juxtaposition of the way different people live their lives on the island is just fascinating.

Well worth a watch
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:39 AM #8
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBB View Post
New Labour & Tories have been equally awful on getting big business to pay their tax.. if people at the bottom overclaim benefits they go to prison and then we have documentaries vilifying ALL benefit claimants and labelling them "scroungers". Yet when big businesses like Google don't pay their tax, it's totally fine and we pander to them so that they will at least pay some tax. I think they are forgetting that the reason they have their profits is the result of the people using their site, and they need to give back to society. Corporate tax isn't even that high in our country compared to others, ffs.
No. New labour were even worse.
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:52 AM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post

Yes but all Under
Current UK Tax Laws

Its Logical Vicky.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:53 AM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
No. New labour were even worse.

Yes they had 13 years to do something
Old 12-02-2016, 08:28 AM #11
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Yes they had 13 years to do something
New labour in a nutshell

sucked up to bankers, deregulated, allowed enormous takeover to create super banks, lowered their taxes and oversaw the total collapse of the banking industry

Allowed ahousing bubble at the same time where housing doubled trebled in value in a their 13 yrs, with banks offering enormous unpayable mortgages at 5 times people incomes, then the housing bubble collapsed and everyone was left in negative equity, cue housing crash

allowed the benefits system to grow out of control, not to help the real disabled and sick and eldery , but to help the workshy, the drug pushers and the workless breed for benefits culture

drugs grew out of control in this workless environment
end result the welfare expenses grew out of control

nhs. fair enough pumped in a few extra billion. but middle management, burocracy, waste of human resources and equipment under utilised, mismanagement, endless cover ups with abuses, patients starved to death, huge weekend mortality rates dirtiest hospitals in Europe with mrsa 70 times higher than Sweden etc but according to new labour were not allowed to talk about it let alone do anything, just in case it upsets the doctors and nurses happiness

banned freedom of speech

destroyed the police force with endless new petty politically correct laws and red tape and regulations and legal jargon that made their jobs unbearable and ineffective

oversaw the biggest immigration and population rise in history

started illegal wars, on a pack of lies, creating even more terrorism

oversaw the collapse of the Christian churches, duly turned into mosques

lost a few billion on vanity projects like the millennium dome

sold us out to Europe and their insane 70,000 400 page EU constitution, gifted back our annual 4 billion pound EU rebate and got nothing in return

failed to build social housing

turned the tax system upside so that the working poor ended up paying a higher proportion in tax

invented spin doctors and brought them into the cabinet to make policy.
ostracised all over labour as dinosaurs

did less than nothing for any of our industries? coal forget it, steel record job losses, energy costs through the roof, did nothing to reverse any of the privatised sectors?

abuses and cover ups in care homes, retirement and nursing homes, nhs wards

councillors bosses wages through the roof, quarter of a million a year, massive wage increases for nhs bosses and administrators, etc etc
oh but weakened the rold of the ombudsmen to deal with complainants.

end result bankruptcy

so after leaving the country on the brink of bankruptcy having forsaken almost all of our sovereignty....they now want to preach to us about how to run the economy, the nhs, the housing, the police, the wars?

the tories are a scary seflsih bunch, but that's to be expected, new labour were worse. they were the wolves in sheeps clothing. who would do anything simply to win power.

oh but on the plus side, they sort of banned fox hunting....bravo
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:27 AM #12

I never liked NL but I'm not naive enough to believe Labour policy brought us into a recession! They certainly didn't overspend as Osborne so often suggests.

The banking crisis was not born out of policy decision. Greedy investment bankers created the banking crisis, not the government, though the government were aware of rogue lending and their economists probably forecast what could eventually happen. Britain however, was relatively safe but when America crashed, we all crashed with it.

The global economy became fragile because investment bankers around the world were gambling with sub prime mortgages which allow people to buy bigger and more expensive property.

During the financial crisis, NL at least had the sense to put tight restrictions on future mortgage lending but it appears those restrictions have been lifted because exactly the same thing is starting to happen again; just not under the name of 'sub prime'.

Yes, the government and Bank of England did rescue the banks, but through direct capital injections and liquidity provision. Those were different programmes to QE. Describing the latter as a £375 billion handout to the banks is completely misleading. http://www.economist.com/blogs/butto...-and-economics

When Osborne stood up and said, “With our national debt unsustainable high, and with the uncertainty about what the world economy will throw at us in the coming years, we must now fix the roof while the sun is shining.” Just about every economist around Britain, including the well respected ones condemned him, but because Osborne is our front line sales man, we, his minions, all believed him and we continue to believe him.

I haven't read the rest of your post because I only got as far as the bank bail outs and house price increases.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
google, parliament, questioned, today