Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 13-02-2016, 06:57 PM #1
Focus

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
DOI 2018: Kem Cetinay

Focus

Favourites (more):

Default Career Hunt after Graduation

Finding work is so difficult!

I finished my degree back in May and when I moved back home I landed an assistant role in a kitchen within 2 weeks just to 'earn a living'. At the time I was over the moon even though it was only bank contract. In September I got a great 3 week opportunity in a finance department of a company and afterwards was put on a 30 hour contract back in the prior damn kitchen and been stuck in a rut since. I should be moving to Peterborough next month to continue my search for a career but that has been a tricky decision due to having to quit my job and pay rent... Im scared to watch my little savings drain... Ive had many interviews now and its so frustrating! Much feedback is positive, that I was "well liked" etc. but 'lack of experience' is always there to bite my backside.

Anybody else in a similar situation? Or had been and now can pass on tips and motivation?

Jords is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 07:00 PM #2
🌈😈🌈👊🏾🌈👻🌈🫦🌈🔥🌈

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB14: Frenchy
🌈😈🌈👊🏾🌈👻🌈🫦🌈🔥🌈

Favourites (more):

What was your degree in hun.
UserSince2005 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 07:03 PM #3
Focus

Favourites (more):

Focus

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserSince2005 View Post
What was your degree in hun.
Psychology

I would quite like a role in research/data analysis or marketing/recruitment/sales.

Edit: counseling in the future.

Last edited by Jords; 13-02-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Old 13-02-2016, 07:07 PM #4
🌈😈🌈👊🏾🌈👻🌈🫦🌈🔥🌈

Favourites (more):
🌈😈🌈👊🏾🌈👻🌈🫦🌈🔥🌈

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jords View Post
Psychology

I would quite like a role in research/data analysis or marketing/recruitment/sales.

You should be able to get a graduate job in recruitment or sales easy with a good CV.
Old 13-02-2016, 07:07 PM #5
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):

Hearing stories like this is scary and makes me think what am I doing wasting my time here to come out unemployed but then I remembered my scholarship which is paying for my summer hols </3

Best of luck finding something worthwhile, I can't imagine the frustration

Spoiler:

reece(: is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 07:27 PM #6

I feel your pain. I graduated October with a great degree in Design and Illustration and started officially "job hunting" straight away but to no joy. I applied for loads and heard nothing both in my "chosen career" and otherwise but I've been inundated with portrait orders from people so I'm now about to go self employed full time in a few weeks and try and raise my profile for a bit with my artwork, make connections, attend art fairs to sell prints etc and live off savings whilst carrying on with portraits! Such a struggle though!!

Last edited by LaLaLand; 13-02-2016 at 07:28 PM.
LaLaLand is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 07:28 PM #7
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):

Would you say uni's that claim 80% chance of employment following your degree to be BS then?

Spoiler:

Old 13-02-2016, 07:30 PM #8

I wouldn't say BS because people do get lucky but I'd say they need to specify it's not what YOU want to do. The % employment rate is in general not for chosen fields like but they make it sound as if it's for what YOU want to do yano?

I've just done the ex-student survey thing and had to say if I was employed, unemployed etc. That's what the % comes from. It could be 80% of people work in a cafe.

Last edited by LaLaLand; 13-02-2016 at 07:31 PM.
LaLaLand is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 07:43 PM #9
🌈😈🌈👊🏾🌈👻🌈🫦🌈🔥🌈

Favourites (more):
🌈😈🌈👊🏾🌈👻🌈🫦🌈🔥🌈

Favourites (more):

I have a 1st class BSc in a core subject, even I found it hard. Im currently looking for a new job at the moment, paid up until mid march so no big rush. Im finding a few things popping up but nothing is really standing out and exciting me.
Old 13-02-2016, 07:48 PM #10
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

It is quite a frustrating process, especially the applications you spend ages over just to not even get a reply. Become more and more inclined just to stay in academia for life as the months have gone on lol
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 08:55 PM #11
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Aah, Jords I really wish you the very best in your search for a stable career.
I know a good number of my old Uni friends who are still struggling and a good number took jobs in no way related to their degrees.

Many found the 'well we really need people with experience' or 'is this really what you want to do with having a degree'.
Most were sure they were passed over for jobs because they had a degree and the companies felt they would be leaving as soon as their chosen career opportunity came along.

While the lack of experience line was just as irritating for them.

Honestly, good luck Jords,I hope something turns up really good for you soon,you deserve it to.

Last edited by joeysteele; 13-02-2016 at 11:06 PM.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 09:29 PM #12
Focus

Favourites (more):

Focus

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece(: View Post
Would you say uni's that claim 80% chance of employment following your degree to be BS then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnii View Post
I wouldn't say BS because people do get lucky but I'd say they need to specify it's not what YOU want to do. The % employment rate is in general not for chosen fields like but they make it sound as if it's for what YOU want to do yano?

I've just done the ex-student survey thing and had to say if I was employed, unemployed etc. That's what the % comes from. It could be 80% of people work in a cafe.
Exactly this - 5 of my ex-housemates have graduated and we currently work in a workplace canteen, Subway, Maccies and Primark... Only 1 is doing really well in a content writing position

Old 13-02-2016, 10:21 PM #13

Quote:
Psychology

Do you have a VOSCUR job site for you area , my daughter found a job on this site shortly after graduation and worked for WECIL for 6 years and has recently applied and got a new job with this site working for Age UK , not sure if this info is any help but if you look at VOSCUR Bristol there must be websites similar in your area. I really hope you are successful and get the opportunity you deserve.
hijaxers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 10:32 PM #14

Quote:
I feel your pain. I graduated October with a great degree in Design and Illustration and started officially "job hunting" straight away but to no joy. I applied for loads and heard nothing both in my "chosen career" and otherwise but I've been inundated with portrait orders from people so I'm now about to go self employed full time in a few weeks and try and raise my profile for a bit with my artwork, make connections, attend art fairs to sell prints etc and live off savings whilst carrying on with portraits! Such a struggle though!!
Jonnii, approach local cafes , bars, trendy florists etc.. to display your work in , a friend of mine owns a very alternative florists and she sells so many pieces displayed on the shop walls by local artists - even she has been shocked by the interest, there is probably an abundance of places worth a visit and a chat and artwork is better than bare walls any day ! If you are good at portraits - florists have loads of funerals and as morbid as it seems a portrait of a loved one - from a photo - may go well ?
hijaxers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 08:42 AM #15

Quote:
Psychology

It's probably a bit late with this advice, but for any others still at uni, try to get a part time job(or even voluntary work) in the profession that you ultimately hope to work in. Quite often the employers offer full time work when your education is finished, if they have been pleased with your part time work.
jennyjuniper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 09:12 AM #16
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..the only thing I can say Jords is that it's not unusual obviously to be in your situation and so frustrating/dis-heartening that things can sometimes take a while and even a long while to get there...but with determination and persistence with any 'forever' type job, you will get there and everything that you're doing now/your 'fill in' jobs, will all help with that as well, they'll all make sense and be able to be applied in different ways with the experiences they've given you, I do believe that Jords so you just carry on doing what you feel is right for you because it might not feel like it sometimes but you are moving forward to where you're going to feel great in being/career/job-wise......

..and Reece, I know and understand as well how it's feeling to you as well, why/is it worth it..?...but I have six nieces/nephews altogether...four having been through uni and two still in that process...the four who have gone through it all have jobs that brings a lot to their lives and two of them having their 'dream job' that they hoped to get in their decisions to go to uni ..the same with the children of most friends I have..(actually I think all of them..)..some also with 'dream jobs' that they have got through their work experience in their chosen study...so try to think of the balance as well...and if you like uni/love other aspects of it as well, like the social vibe/independence/friendship groups etc...well, those are also very important for life lessons as well ...and I know that means a student debt as well, which you have anyway now... but you won't have to addresss that until you have got THAT job.......
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 01:41 PM #17
Focus

Favourites (more):

Focus

Favourites (more):

Thanks for the pep talk gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..the only thing I can say Jords is that it's not unusual obviously to be in your situation and so frustrating/dis-heartening that things can sometimes take a while and even a long while to get there...but with determination and persistence with any 'forever' type job, you will get there and everything that you're doing now/your 'fill in' jobs, will all help with that as well, they'll all make sense and be able to be applied in different ways with the experiences they've given you, I do believe that Jords so you just carry on doing what you feel is right for you because it might not feel like it sometimes but you are moving forward to where you're going to feel great in being/career/job-wise......
Employers are fairly impressed with how active a student I was... I ran in the Officer Elections, became a Union and Course Representative, worked on Open Days, sat on a Society Committee... But I do think related experience would be handy - thing is I didnt know what I wanted to do!

love u Ammi

Old 14-02-2016, 01:53 PM #18
You know my methods

You know my methods

Make sure that on your CV you put that you are an expert in Cross Sectional Data Analysis

Always looks good and all it means is you can understand see trends from numbers

Good for marketing
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 02:19 PM #19

Quote:

I think under the current market
thats wise.
Check all others that can do your design /editing
and what they charge.
Under Cut them
with the same level as them.

There is room for loads like you
as you can be from online.

Going cheaper
than the local company
just to get your foot in the door,

You have Talent
Believe in yourself.

Good Luck Jonnii
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 02:23 PM #20
You know my methods

You know my methods

nowadays i would never go to uni or college unless I was going to be a doctor or a lawyer

all you are doing is arriving in a job market with 3 or 4 years of no experience where others have that on you
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 02:25 PM #21

This thread makes my blood boil - What has this country come to when young people who have PROVED themselves decent, hard-working and studious, and willing to make sacrifices in their social lives to attain qualifications, have to then face the prospect of long, lowly-paid stints as glorified labourers?

The 'Catch 22' scenario of not being able to secure a position of employment due to 'lack of experience' when the only way to achieve that experience is by actually being GIVEN a job, is nothig new, but it does appear to have become more common due to the increasingly problematic employment crisis.

I am being deadly serious now, but my advice is not for the faint-hearted or puritanical among you - FAKE that fecking 'experience' on your CV.

It is not difficult and there is a very minimal risk of being 'sussed'. I know lots of - now - successful people who have done just that to gain that all important first job, and none of them have been 'legged up'.

I will even help you do it.

Sorry, but the short-sighted 'Personnel Managers' who insist on this 'experience' MUST have encountered similar when they were first seeking their first job, so one would assume that they would be more sympathetic to newbie applicants.

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:12 AM #22
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post

..and Reece, I know and understand as well how it's feeling to you as well, why/is it worth it..?...but I have six nieces/nephews altogether...four having been through uni and two still in that process...the four who have gone through it all have jobs that brings a lot to their lives and two of them having their 'dream job' that they hoped to get in their decisions to go to uni ..the same with the children of most friends I have..(actually I think all of them..)..some also with 'dream jobs' that they have got through their work experience in their chosen study...so try to think of the balance as well...and if you like uni/love other aspects of it as well, like the social vibe/independence/friendship groups etc...well, those are also very important for life lessons as well ...and I know that means a student debt as well, which you have anyway now... but you won't have to addresss that until you have got THAT job.......
I've only just seen this but thanks, it's helped! I do love being at uni because it keeps me at ease about becoming a proper adult, and I'm learning life lessons too along the way I've been a bit miserable lately worrying about jobs and I've been already trying to find some part time work but have found it such a struggle.

I also wonder how restricted you are with your degree in terms of job fields

Spoiler:

Old 02-04-2016, 04:43 AM #23
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece(: View Post
I've only just seen this but thanks, it's helped! I do love being at uni because it keeps me at ease about becoming a proper adult, and I'm learning life lessons too along the way I've been a bit miserable lately worrying about jobs and I've been already trying to find some part time work but have found it such a struggle.

I also wonder how restricted you are with your degree in terms of job fields
....awww you.....if you hadn't made the decision to go to uni and take the degree that you are, would you be worrying yourself over the restrictions of having made that decision..?...when you do get that job opportunity Reece, it'll be because of all of the decisions that you've made in life..because those decisions have given you that opportunity which is the very opposite of them restricting you in any way...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:38 AM #24
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
This thread makes my blood boil - What has this country come to when young people who have PROVED themselves decent, hard-working and studious, and willing to make sacrifices in their social lives to attain qualifications, have to then face the prospect of long, lowly-paid stints as glorified labourers?
LOL

The scars on my mind are on replay

Last edited by Smithy; 02-04-2016 at 06:44 AM.
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
career, graduation, hunt