Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 29-05-2016, 05:50 PM #1
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

Default Your opinions on the homeless?

So what's your opinions on the homeless? Do you pity them? If so why? Or do you feel that they've brought it on themselves? And if so why?

I personally feel a bit mixed on this as I feel that it's only Human to feel pity for anyone that's struggling to such a point that they don't even have a home to go to.

I do however feel that if the person knows that they're gonna become homeless that they should try and warn their family that they live with (if they have any that is) but that's just my opinion on it anyway.

What's your opinion on the homeless?

KRO!

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 29-05-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Mystic Mock is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 05:51 PM #2

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Genuine homeless of course.It must be awful to not have a roof over your head in winter.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 06:01 PM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
I do however feel that if the person knows that they're gonna become homeless that they should try and warn their family that they live with

Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 06:02 PM #4
Texas Forever

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BB17: Andy

Texas Forever

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BB17: Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
I do however feel that if the person knows that they're gonna become homeless that they should try and warn their family that they live with
I think the soon to be homeless person is the one that needs warning tbh
Drew. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 06:03 PM #5
You know my methods

You know my methods

homeless is generic term and does not mean much

Just DO NOT give them money is all i have to say
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 06:04 PM #6

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew. View Post
I was thinking about the financial difficulties that they know is hitting them and you then sometimes hear that they've not warned the rest of their family and then boom! They're homeless.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 06:04 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew. View Post
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 06:04 PM #8

My View

http://www.thisisbigbrother.com/foru...d.php?t=294081
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 09:49 PM #9
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

I have great sadness towards anyone genuinely homeless.
Something I have learned from talking to a good number who are, and who have been for many years in fact as to some of them.
Is that they often appear to reject help to restore a better existence as they feel nothing good is going to last.

I will also give them funds and in addition buy them a takeaway,I and others have also made the calls to societies and shelters who know where there are hostels and beds for the night,to try to get even just a few off the streets,especially in Winter.

It infuriates me seeing so many buildings that used to be Stores or shops, that will all have toilet facilities and water and even heating,left to fall into decay when they could be used, even temporarily to help keep anyone genuinely homeless off the streets too.
That is something both govt and local authorities could bring into effect.

I have found the vast majority of those homeless have been rejected by or feel rejected too by their families.
Some homeless do have addictions or even have slipped through the medical net, due to depression and possibly other mental health issues.

For me it is a scandal that anyone should be left homeless in the UK in the 21st century,sadly however, despite the dangers and the conditions of being homeless, there are some who are,who will stay there, as they know what each day will be like and they have few or even no expectations.

I'd hope one day,some who are more of a hard line attitude in the UK,a minority they are I hope,as to tolerance of people seemingly weaker than they are.
Will think again and consider what should be done,not just as to removing the homeless from the streets but to look at how best to persuade them to seek help.

Also making sure that help is there and not have the Police harassing them as if they are criminals but find ways of building them up and not demonising them or just constantly bringing them further down for being homeless.

One thing I do know is that I have had some of the best conversations I have ever had with those who are homeless.
However, how I wish there was not any need for there to be any homeless,as I believe in any decent society, there ought not to be any,if more reached out rather than look the other way.

Last edited by joeysteele; 29-05-2016 at 09:59 PM.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 09:53 PM #10
Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

bin em
Old 29-05-2016, 09:54 PM #11

Favourites (more):
CBB22: Natalie Nunn
CBB21: India Willoughby

Favourites (more):
CBB22: Natalie Nunn
CBB21: India Willoughby

Sympathy for the ones who lost their jobs etc or even abused drugs or alcahol because it is not their fault as they are both addictive. However I don't feel sympathy for the ones who want to be homeless if you know what i mean

I'd be the next Raph but I'd fail the psych evaluation

Spoiler:

Jay28jay2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 10:04 PM #12
-

-

The vast majority of truly homeless people (i.e. literally sleeping rough) have addiction and mental health problems and have basically "fallen off the grid", have no one who wants to help them or can help them. It's pretty tragic.

Even more tragic is that there's a huge problem with homeless teens, usually late-teens who have had abusive relationships and have either run away or been booted out on their arse at 16 as soon as the parents no longer have legal responsibility. If these kids don't already have addiction problems, generally it's only a matter of (a small amount of) time until they do.

I feel awful for them, but the issues at play here are go so deep into the root of the absurd human condition that I wouldn't even know where to start.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 11:10 PM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
The vast majority of truly homeless people (i.e. literally sleeping rough) have addiction and mental health problems and have basically "fallen off the grid", have no one who wants to help them or can help them. It's pretty tragic.

Even more tragic is that there's a huge problem with homeless teens, usually late-teens who have had abusive relationships and have either run away or been booted out on their arse at 16 as soon as the parents no longer have legal responsibility. If these kids don't already have addiction problems, generally it's only a matter of (a small amount of) time until they do.

I feel awful for them, but the issues at play here are go so deep into the root of the absurd human condition that I wouldn't even know where to start.
Having worked with both Crisis and Glass Door shelters, I quickly reached this conclusion....The prison system for criminals with mental health issues, has a three category ward system; once they reach the green ward they are guided back into society but because care in the community has little funding and far too few staff, medications get missed and the whole sorry cycle of destitution that leads them back to crime happens. My dad has done a lot of work with green ward criminals and he tells me, these people don’t want to be let out because they just can’t cope alone in the outside world. This is a failure in the system for vulnerable adults.

Edited because I shouldn't write anything after too much wine!

There are people on the streets with no addiction and no mental illness but you usually find that these people have no family to turn to.

Last edited by DemolitionRed; 30-05-2016 at 09:10 AM.
DemolitionRed is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 11:16 PM #14
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Put 12 of them into an arena and we can have our very first hunger games, the winner will never be homeless ever again!

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 11:19 PM #15
-

-

feel very sorry for them, never want to be in that kind of position, must be so degrading
Jake. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 11:22 PM #16
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

I feel sorry for the ones who are homeless due to losing their job.home etc

but the ones who are homeless because of their own fault like drugs/alcohol I have no sympathy. I don't give them money because it's for the next fix and they don't help themselves at all.

Spoiler:

LukeB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 07:04 AM #17
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
I have great sadness towards anyone genuinely homeless.
Something I have learned from talking to a good number who are, and who have been for many years in fact as to some of them.
Is that they often appear to reject help to restore a better existence as they feel nothing good is going to last.

I will also give them funds and in addition buy them a takeaway,I and others have also made the calls to societies and shelters who know where there are hostels and beds for the night,to try to get even just a few off the streets,especially in Winter.

It infuriates me seeing so many buildings that used to be Stores or shops, that will all have toilet facilities and water and even heating,left to fall into decay when they could be used, even temporarily to help keep anyone genuinely homeless off the streets too.
That is something both govt and local authorities could bring into effect.

I have found the vast majority of those homeless have been rejected by or feel rejected too by their families.
Some homeless do have addictions or even have slipped through the medical net, due to depression and possibly other mental health issues.

For me it is a scandal that anyone should be left homeless in the UK in the 21st century,sadly however, despite the dangers and the conditions of being homeless, there are some who are,who will stay there, as they know what each day will be like and they have few or even no expectations.

I'd hope one day,some who are more of a hard line attitude in the UK,a minority they are I hope,as to tolerance of people seemingly weaker than they are.
Will think again and consider what should be done,not just as to removing the homeless from the streets but to look at how best to persuade them to seek help.

Also making sure that help is there and not have the Police harassing them as if they are criminals but find ways of building them up and not demonising them or just constantly bringing them further down for being homeless.

One thing I do know is that I have had some of the best conversations I have ever had with those who are homeless.
However, how I wish there was not any need for there to be any homeless,as I believe in any decent society, there ought not to be any,if more reached out rather than look the other way.

..I remember watching a documentary quite a few years ago about some tribe people from a remote Pacific island who came to England...They worshipped Prince Philip as a God and came in search of meeting him...while they were here, they stayed with different families and experienced the lifestyles../values etc of those families, which were all quite different..?..one of the things that totally baffled them was that in such 'civilisation', there were people who had no homes and lived their lives on streets and with no shelter../and like you say Joey, they pointed out all of the empty buildings in the cities..'why are buildings empty'...in their village, if something happened to a villager's home../if it burnt down etc...the whole of the village would rebuild a home for that family...and their way of life is 'primitive'..?...

...anyways, I know that it sounds the most obvious thing but it shouldn't be so much about help for the homeless but help in preventing that homelessness from happening in the first place...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 08:18 AM #18
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..I remember watching a documentary quite a few years ago about some tribe people from a remote Pacific island who came to England...They worshipped Prince Philip as a God and came in search of meeting him...while they were here, they stayed with different families and experienced the lifestyles../values etc of those families, which were all quite different..?..one of the things that totally baffled them was that in such 'civilisation', there were people who had no homes and lived their lives on streets and with no shelter../and like you say Joey, they pointed out all of the empty buildings in the cities..'why are buildings empty'...in their village, if something happened to a villager's home../if it burnt down etc...the whole of the village would rebuild a home for that family...and their way of life is 'primitive'..?...

...anyways, I know that it sounds the most obvious thing but it shouldn't be so much about help for the homeless but help in preventing that homelessness from happening in the first place...
As always a thought provoking post Ammi.

I agree too as to preventing homelessness in the first place.
For some who are, very sadly, as time and even years go on, it becomes their way of life,their only existence.
Awful to really actually just think about, let alone see and witness.

Which is why I think it a scandal for the UK to have any genuine homeless people in the 21st century,whatever the reasons for them being so.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 06:45 PM #19
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I think it's a scandal that we have homeless people on our streets. Charity begins at home... no one should be living on the street, everyone is entitled to have a roof over their head.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 07:18 PM #20

that's right livia it is a scandal. and no matter how they got there ie wrong choices or just bad luck - they are people and we have to have compassion for that.
waterhog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:53 AM #21

I feel for the ones that genuinely don't want to be in that position yes but then on the other hand there are a section of homeless people that prefer that way of life, I have no idea why they would choose to be that way but they do.

There should be no homeless in this country in this age anyway IMO.
Josy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:07 AM #22
-

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

-

Favourites (more):

If they're young and if they have a dog I have to give money. I can't just walk past. I saw one with a puppy the other week, and as horrible as it is, why do they get them? It seems like such a sad life for both
T* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:16 AM #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom* View Post
If they're young and if they have a dog I have to give money. I can't just walk past. I saw one with a puppy the other week, and as horrible as it is, why do they get them? It seems like such a sad life for both
Men and women who genuinely sleep rough carry a high risk of attack, especially in the early hours when drunks are coming out of clubs. A dog earns its keep as a guard dog as well as providing warmth on those chilly nights and companionship.

A lot of hostels and churches won't accept a homeless person with a dog and that's why we so often see them on the streets.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:55 AM #24
-

Favourites (more):

-

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
Men and women who genuinely sleep rough carry a high risk of attack, especially in the early hours when drunks are coming out of clubs. A dog earns its keep as a guard dog as well as providing warmth on those chilly nights and companionship.

A lot of hostels and churches won't accept a homeless person with a dog and that's why we so often see them on the streets.

That's so sad
T* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:58 PM #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom* View Post
That's so sad
It is, though we have to remember, some people with certain types of mental illness, prefer to be on the street and wouldn't take shelter if it was offered to them. Often, those with animals have very deliberately made that choice because they know most charitable organizations won't bother them with the offer of a bed for the night.

Care in the community for mental health problems has allowed too many people to slip through the net and its getting worse year on year.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
homeless, opinions