Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 29-06-2016, 09:19 PM #1

Default Sturgeon Gets EU Sympathy But Little Hope

NICOLA STURGEON'S PLEA TO EU LEADERS MEETS WITH SYMPATHY BUT LITTLE HOPE.

First minister, in Brussels to lobby for remaining in EU, finds officials reluctant to enter talks on separate future for Scotland.
r
Nicola Sturgeon’s hopes of gaining support for her bid to keep Scotland in the European Union despite the UK’s vote to leave have been dealt a blow after the Spanish prime minister warned: “If the United Kingdom leaves … Scotland leaves.”

Speaking in Brussels, where the Scottish first minister held a series of meetings to lobby for Scotland, Jean-Claude Juncker, the president of the European commission, said that although he would gladly hear Sturgeon’s case, he was not in a position to enter into talks on Scotland’s future separately from the UK.

“Scotland won the right to be heard in Brussels,” said Juncker on Wednesday. “So I will listen carefully to what the first minister will tell me but we don’t have the intention, neither Donald [Tusk, president of the European council,] nor myself, to interfere in the British process. That is not our job.”

The Spanish prime minister, Mariano Rajoy, was even stronger in his dismissal of Scottish hopes of avoiding being forced out in a Brexit.

“I want to be very clear: Scotland does not have the competence to negotiate with the European Union. Spain opposes any negotiation by anyone other than the government of the United Kingdom,” he told a news conference following a summit of European leaders in Brussels.

“I am extremely against it, the treaties are extremely against it and I believe everyone is extremely against it. If the United Kingdom leaves … Scotland leaves,” he added. Madrid has a troubled relationship with the separatist inclinations of Catalonia.

Sturgeon said she was not surprised at the Spanish position, adding: “I have a duty as first minister to find a way to give effect to the democratic will of Scotland.”

Earlier, after a meeting with the European parliament president, Martin Schulz, Sturgeon said: “Scotland is determined to stay in the EU. I don’t underestimate the challenges that lie ahead for us in seeking to find a path.”

Schulz said he had “listened and learned”.

David McAllister, a Scottish-German MEP and key ally of the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, said he thought it was right that Sturgeon had come to Brussels.

“I think it is fair that the Scottish voice should be heard in Brussels,” he told the Guardian, noting that the first minister had been “the most visible British politician on German TV” over the weekend.

“In Germany, there is now a new interest in the Scottish debate and in trying to understand the argument from both sides,” said McAllister, who was once considered one of Merkel’s potential successors and is now one of the key intermediaries between the British and German governments.

But, despite the sympathy felt by many in Europe for Scotland’s predicament, Sturgeon’s hopes of ensuring the country remains in the bloc look likely to be crushed.

As made clear by Rajoy, Spain, as well as Belgium and other countries that are worried about separatism, would oppose any plan to continue Scotland’s membership, or allow it special status. Other countries are sympathetic to Scotland’s plight, but don’t see any way to bend the rules.

An EU diplomat said it was “out of the question” for Scotland to stay in the EU following Brexit, saying: “We are a union of member states.”

In Edinburgh, senior pro-EU Scottish Conservatives accused Sturgeon of making a tactical error by embarking on what one described as “freelance diplomacy” in Brussels without working first with the UK government.

Ruth Davidson, the Scottish Tory leader, broadly supports Sturgeon’s proposals to win special arrangements for Scotland with the EU but believes they have greater chance of being listened to as part of the official UK Brexit talks, once they start.

Prof Adam Tomkin, the Tory constitution spokesman at Holyrood, said: “Simply ploughing her own furrow will not work, and will make for an overall weaker case. Sturgeon has already had several rejections on this solo mission, which is why she should be teaming up with the rest of the UK to get the best deal for Scotland.”

Brussels insiders are also loth to intervene in what they see as a British political problem that the prime minister, David Cameron, did not consider when he called a referendum.

Several EU diplomats have said the only way for Scotland to be part of the EU would be to become an independent country and reapply for membership, a process estimated to take five to seven years.

All EU countries have the right to veto new members.

Almost two-thirds of Scots voted to remain in last week’s EU referendum, but the country looks set to be forced out because a majority of English voted to leave.

The commission will have a bigger role than the parliament in Brexit talks, but is unlikely to be any more helpful in meeting Sturgeon’s hopes. A source close to the president said he would “be in listening mode”.

Tusk declined to meet Sturgeon. A source close to him said: “It’s not the right time.” Tusk, who represents national leaders, is concerned that meeting Sturgeon would lead to an avalanche of requests from other territories and regions. The European council president was also chairing an unprecedented EU summit in Brussels, bringing together 27 EU leaders, for the first time without the UK.

EU leaders reacted frostily to the Scottish independence referendum in 2014, but an application to rejoin after Brexit has received more sympathy.

The SNP politician Alyn Smith has appealed to European colleagues to help Scotland, calling for cool heads and warm hearts. In a fervent address to the European parliament on Tuesday, he said: “Please remember this. Scotland did not let you down. Please I beg you … do not let Scotland down now.”

Last edited by kirklancaster; 29-06-2016 at 09:20 PM.
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 09:25 PM #2
-

-

Spain's attitudes have nothing to do with Scotland and everything to do with Catalonia. Ridiculous.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 09:31 PM #3
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

Well its entirely ridiculous of course to consider that Scotland could remain in the EU when the UK does not, its the SNP with an inflated sense of their own importance again
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 10:01 PM #4
Banned

Favourites (more):
BB14: Gina
CBB 11: Speidi

Banned

Favourites (more):

Spain will never allow it.
Johnnyuk123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 10:40 PM #5
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Not so, she herself said this was just preliminary meeting to sound things out.
What has been agreed is that no discussions can really take place with Scotland, until the UK has triggered Article 50.
Also then the final outcome of all that work as to dismantling everything and new trading deals done if possible,is known.

She has had no rebuff at all yet, it's just that the EU has to honour the actions and negotiations obviously with the UK first, not with one of the UK Nations separately.

What she has put on the table today is that Scotland would like to remain a full EU member once the UK officially has left the EU.
That is noted now.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 10:45 PM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Spain's attitudes have nothing to do with Scotland and everything to do with Catalonia. Ridiculous.

No TS
it was on NewsnightHD on BBC2

Spain is going to put
your new money € join
at the back of the Line.

Last edited by arista; 29-06-2016 at 10:45 PM.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 10:46 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyuk123 View Post
Spain will never allow it.

Thats Not OUR problem
Johnny
Old 29-06-2016, 10:47 PM #8
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
No TS
it was on NewsnightHD on BBC2

Spain is going to put
your new money € join
at the back of the Line.
Spain will likely be able to be won round if the EU want them to be and I am pretty sure Spain would love to get one over on the UK, England particularly.
Old 29-06-2016, 10:52 PM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
Spain will likely be able to be won round if the EU want them to be and I am pretty sure Spain would love to get one over on the UK, England particularly.

Its not a Football Game
you know!
Old 29-06-2016, 11:00 PM #10
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Its not a Football Game
you know!
Even if it was,Spain would still love to get one over on England.

I can see the EU doing something for Scotland eventually.
Old 30-06-2016, 12:35 AM #11

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
Even if it was,Spain would still love to get one over on England.

I can see the EU doing something for Scotland eventually.
Spain will never support Scotland because of its own separatists who it will not even allow a referendum. Spain will also have to find someone else's ocean to over fish soon.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 12:37 AM #12
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
Well its entirely ridiculous of course to consider that Scotland could remain in the EU when the UK does not, its the SNP with an inflated sense of their own importance again
Tbf Scotland and NI are their own countries at the end of the day, why should England and the Sheep decide how they run their countries?"

Btw I really love Wales as it has lots of greenery.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 12:57 AM #13

Quote:

But thats want they Think - UP THERE, no joke
Old 30-06-2016, 01:02 AM #14
Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 6: Siannise

Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 6: Siannise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
Spain will never support Scotland because of its own separatists who it will not even allow a referendum. Spain will also have to find someone else's ocean to over fish soon.
Exactly! Spain would not risk it's own seperation just to "get one over on England." If anyone blindly thinks that Scotland can just pop off from the UK and join the EU then you do not understand European politics! 27 other countries have their own interests to think about before Scotlands!
Wizard. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 05:37 AM #15

"FOUR NATIONS WENT INTO THE EU AS ONE ENTITY ..... FOUR NATIONS CAME OUT OF THE EU AS ONE.

"I WARNED THE UK, 'ONCE YOU'RE AWAY FROM THAT SHARK JUNCKERS.... YOU BETTER WORRY ABOUT THAT LITTLE STURGEON.

Scotland will have to hold another 'Independence' referendum, and if the Scots do leave the United Kingdom, they will have to then apply to join the EU in their own right, which could take years.

I cannot 'for the life of me' understand WHY they would want to do either, but that is for them to decide, and good luck to them.

Last edited by kirklancaster; 30-06-2016 at 06:00 AM.
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 06:01 AM #16
Banned

Favourites (more):

Banned

Favourites (more):

I predict that Nicola Sturgeon will be in panto come Christmas 2016 playing grumpy in Snow White.
Johnnyuk123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 07:35 AM #17

Quote:
Pretty much this
Josy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 07:45 AM #18
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
Tbf Scotland and NI are their own countries at the end of the day, why should England and the Sheep decide how they run their countries?"

Btw I really love Wales as it has lots of greenery.
I love Wales, as a child me and my friends played near the Border as I was born not far from the Border.

The point is Nicola has to try to do all she can after the Scottish vote, the most decisive in the UK as to the EU too.
She said she would and has to.

At this moment in time, the UK is still in the EU,nothing can be discussed yet.
If the UK negotiators accept still, the free movement to remain in the single market,with the costs we still will have to contribute there too,then little has changed in any event,except we get no say in what happens in the future but wills till have to go with it..
It may be that that will ease the need for any further independence vote in Scotland.

That will not however be known until the negotiations of the next 3 or 4 or even more years to come are eventually concluded.

Last edited by joeysteele; 17-07-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 30-06-2016, 10:16 AM #19

Favourites:

Favourites:

I think it's very unlikely that Scotland will hold a vote any time soon and all this fuss over the EU is more about the SNPs ambitions than the people of Scotland's wishes and needs. Scotland needs the income from North Sea oil if it has any chance to survive without the UK as a potential cash cow. Oil prices have tanked since 2014 when they had the referendum. The SNPs only hope of an independent Scotland is for the EU to become it's cash cow and prop it up. It's so not going to happen. Without assurances they would have someone to lean on financially there is no way Sturgeon will call another referendum at this time. They have a deficit which means they spend more than have coming in. Without some sort of financial prop up Scotland can probably kiss goodbye to all the perks like free prescriptions and education. Most Scots might think the SNP is the best thing since sliced bread for all it spends per capita on its people but it's actually spendimg money it doesn't have so they are being fooled if they believe all that would carry on in an independent Scotland.

From a personal stand point I don't get why Scotland would want to become independent from the UK where it virtually governs itself and has a budget that allows it to have free prescriptions and education, to go into the EU which would force it into the Euro and all that entails and make its laws for it. Go figure.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...k-data-reveals

And what if the SNP has to make cuts due to its over spending money it doesnt have? No problem it can just blame Westminster and the rest of the UK! Win win.

Did you know that Nicola Sturgeon's pay makes her the highest paid politician in the UK. On paper she gets more than the PM! No wonder there is a deficit! Admittedly some of it goes into a fund because Salmond put a pay freeze on them but it's still pretty irresponsible to dish out pay rises, wherever they go, when the country is in deficit and many of the public don't get a pay rise.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...icola-sturgeon

Also if Scotland didn't want the Tories in they should have voted labour in the general election. Voting SNP guaranteed them a Tory government.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 30-06-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 30-06-2016, 10:44 AM #20
You know my methods

You know my methods

yes I think Scotland should just cow tail to Westminster and England as everyone can see that they are doing a great job of things. Just sit back and let them run things

I mean its not like the PM has resigned in a huff and the opposition have all left etc now is it?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 11:16 AM #21

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
yes I think Scotland should just cow tail to Westminster and England as everyone can see that they are doing a great job of things. Just sit back and let them run things

I mean its not like the PM has resigned in a huff and the opposition have all left etc now is it?
Scotland does nicely out of the Union, don't kid yourself. Do you seriously think a Scottish exit from the UK would be less painful economically than the UK leaving he EU? Think on.

― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 30-06-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 30-06-2016, 11:23 AM #22
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
Scotland does nicely out of the Union, don't kid yourself.
yes I suppose if you just use the DM and DE as your news source
Old 30-06-2016, 11:29 AM #23

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
yes I suppose if you just use the DM and DE as your news source
What do you use as yours?

I posted a bunch of reasons why I don't think the SNP will try another referendum at this time. Do you have any facts to believe otherwise. If the guardian is wrong about the financial deficit, where are the articles to correct it?

― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 30-06-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 30-06-2016, 11:32 AM #24
You know my methods

You know my methods

Old 30-06-2016, 11:33 AM #25

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
You don't have any facts then? I'm interested in discussion but don't just spout a bit of anti union resentment. Give us some facts, back it up, show me if I'm wrong?

I don't live in Scotland so if you have more info about why the union is bad for you I'd love to hear it.

― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 30-06-2016 at 11:37 AM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
eu, hope, sturgeon, sympathy