Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 24-07-2016, 03:42 PM #1

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

Default SML debate fat people are crippling the NHS

People now come up with phrases like 'fat shaming' but should being obese actually be shamed?
By 2020 there will be 5 million people in the UK with type two diabetes which is almost always caused by lifestyle and the NHS won't be able to afford that.
125 limbs are amputated every week due to the condition yet it seems that being obese is becoming more acceptable and even pandered to in some cases.
Is it time that we stop encouraging obesity as a society and make being obese 'un-cool' just like we did with smoking?
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 03:44 PM #2
-

-

That's not nice NM! Calling Tories "fat people"

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 24-07-2016 at 03:44 PM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 03:52 PM #3

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
That's not nice NM! Calling Tories "fat people"

I knew atleast two people who would say this when i wrote it and i don't disagree.However this is'nt a party political question.
I think whichever government is in power even one which is more generous to the NHS would'nt be able to properly deal with the pressures it's under.There is only so much money to go around and with rising obesity related health problems and a massively increasing population some other things need to be done other than just trying to throw money at it.
Old 24-07-2016, 03:58 PM #4
User banned

User banned

blur gave the right advice, cut down on your pork life mate and get some exercise
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 04:00 PM #5

No, i dont believe in shaming anyone. Things like that lead to people been attacked and verbally abused in the streets by some who believe they have a right to dictate what is acceptable or not.
Old 24-07-2016, 04:07 PM #6
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
No, i dont believe in shaming anyone. Things like that lead to people been attacked and verbally abused in the streets by some who believe they have a right to dictate what is acceptable or not.
Yes I agree with that Ellen.

Also Diabetes generally runs in families,often it has little to do with lifestyle, if it is in someones family there is a more than fair chance people will get it.

Also particularly with type 1 diabetes,which is treated by insulin in the main,if on high doses, insulin can add weight to a person too.
Which is why exercise is important, however that also needs to be counter balanced by the fact that diabetes is a debilitating condition, that regularly can leave those with it feeling very tired and worn out.

Easy to judge and mock, a lot harder to control and effectively deal with depending on the severity of it.

Good diet and exercise are important, again however many of those with diabetes often have other health issues too,which make controlling it even more difficult.

Of course being overweight with no other reason to possibly be should demand more is done from the person who is heavily overweight but to be made examples of, no way.

Last edited by joeysteele; 24-07-2016 at 04:10 PM.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 04:16 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post

Also Diabetes generally runs in families,often it has little to do with lifestyle, if it is in someones family there is a more than fair chance people will get it.

Also particularly with type 1 diabetes,which is treated by insulin in the main,if on high doses, insulin can add weight to a person too.
Which is why exercise is important, however that also needs to be counter balanced by the fact that diabetes is a debilitating condition, that regularly can leave those with it feeling very tired and worn out.

Easy to judge and mock, a lot harder to control and effectively deal with depending on the severity of it.

Good diet and exercise are important, again however many of those with diabetes often have other health issues too,which make controlling it even more difficult.
You are right Joey

I know a couple of people who have diabetes, one is ok the other is overweight, not massive but weighty, he walks his dog twice a day, goes to the gym twice a week, his weight wont shift. He tries very hard to eat healthy & keep fit.
Will they run a check list on why they are fat before they shame them
Old 24-07-2016, 04:17 PM #8

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I don't think anyone was suggesting actually shaming people for being fat per se.More the idea that it is a viable healthy option.It seems to have swung in the direction of being accepted and encouraged and not seen as a problem by certain parts of the media.People saying things like 'they're fat and proud' or that they're 'in perfect health' etc when infact it needs to be looked at as a problem with many health issues associated with it so people can atleast be encouraged to take active steps towards dealing with it rather than just sitting back and letting the problem fester and become worse.Schools already do this which is good but then kids will also see people or role models on telly and in the media telling them the opposite.
Old 24-07-2016, 04:20 PM #9
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
You are right Joey

I know a couple of people who have diabetes, one is ok the other is overweight, not massive but weighty, he walks his dog twice a day, goes to the gym twice a week, his weight wont shift. He tries very hard to eat healthy & keep fit.
Will they run a check list on why they are fat before they shame them
No they would not Ellen.

If it was allowed,such an act could bring in all sorts of other depression and other health issues which would badly affect the person.
which is why there should never be the case as to any justification for even thinking about it, let alone actually doing so,in my view anyway.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 04:23 PM #10

Quote:
No they would not Ellen.

If it was allowed,such an act could bring in all sorts of other depression and other health issues which would badly affect the person.
which is why there should never be the case as to any justification for even thinking about it, let alone actually doing so,in my view anyway.
I am 100% in total agreement with you Joey

There are way & means but shaming i dont believe is a good move at all.
Old 24-07-2016, 04:25 PM #11
User banned

User banned

people should be inspired to exercise and enjoy sports and games
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 04:28 PM #12

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:

Of course being overweight with no other reason to possibly be should demand more is done from the person who is heavily overweight but to be made examples of, no way.
Yes this was more looking at Type 2 diabetes which according to the doctors is almost always caused by lifestyle/being overweight.

It can be very hard to lose weight but the main thing that holds people back is will power and not being consistent.I myself have lost 3st in the past year.I spent fifteen years weight training and eating for size but then decided it was finally time to cut the fat off and it's certainly not easy when you are accustomed to eating high calorie but if you picture your goal and think of it daily then anyone can do it if they want.The one good thing is the fatter you are the quicker the weight falls off so for somebody not looking for the beach body and just to get to a healthy weight and under 15% bodyfat it's nowhere near as tough.
Old 24-07-2016, 04:31 PM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
I don't think anyone was suggesting actually shaming people for being fat per se.More the idea that it is a viable healthy option.It seems to have swung in the direction of being accepted and encouraged and not seen as a problem by certain parts of the media.People saying things like 'they're fat and proud' or that they're 'in perfect health' etc when infact it needs to be looked at as a problem with many health issues associated with it so people can atleast be encouraged to take active steps towards dealing with it rather than just sitting back and letting the problem fester and become worse.Schools already do this which is good but then kids will also see people or role models on telly and in the media telling them the opposite.
I see what you are saying but has adults we make our choices good or bad. Kids have roll models from all sections tbh, too fat, too thin, etc etc They are bombarded with images. You wouldnt say you cant watch that because the girl/boy is too thin would you so why would you for someone who is overweight?
Old 24-07-2016, 04:32 PM #14

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Quote:
People now come up with phrases like 'fat shaming' but should being obese actually be shamed?
By 2020 there will be 5 million people in the UK with type two diabetes which is almost always caused by lifestyle and the NHS won't be able to afford that.
125 limbs are amputated every week due to the condition yet it seems that being obese is becoming more acceptable and even pandered to in some cases.
Is it time that we stop encouraging obesity as a society and make being obese 'un-cool' just like we did with smoking?
Yes,unless there is a medical reason for someones size ,they need to be made accountable.Not shamed but encouraged to lose weight and excercise

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"

Last edited by Kazanne; 24-07-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 04:37 PM #15

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:

On the other hand the diabetics have a shorter life xpectancy in a lot of cases so could be a short term liability
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 04:40 PM #16

Quote:
I agree. Smokers, alcoholics and drug users are pilloried for their addictions, yet overeating is an addiction too. That doesn't mean to say I agree with overweight people being bullied, but neither should they be pandered to by the nanny state.
It's time ALL people with addictions were forced to take responsibility for their own actions.
jennyjuniper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 04:40 PM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
people should be inspired to exercise and enjoy sports and games
I agree with this. Sports are great and we should be promoting sport big style. They should have promo's all over with sportspeople inspiring kids/adults to do something on a regular basis.
Old 24-07-2016, 04:48 PM #18

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjuniper View Post
I agree. Smokers, alcoholics and drug users are pilloried for their addictions, yet overeating is an addiction too. That doesn't mean to say I agree with overweight people being bullied, but neither should they be pandered to by the nanny state.
It's time ALL people with addictions were forced to take responsibility for their own actions.
Yes, but the only problem with that is that you have to eat to live so you can't give your habit up, unlike other addictions.
Very difficult situation.
Educating the kids from an early age might help. Get them out in the parks and the seaside instead of in front of the telly or computer would help as well
Old 24-07-2016, 04:48 PM #19
0_o

0_o

Well I disagree with this entirely tbh, same as I disagree with smoker costing the NHS. They may cost more during their lifetime, however overall, no. Reasoning? They die younger so need less 24/7 care with age related illnesses. 24/7 care for years costs way more than the cost of the odd operation or whatever
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 04:52 PM #20

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Encouraging sports is an excellent idea for many reasons.However excercise alone is not enough if you're eating more than you're burning.Eating in a caloric deficit is the only factor in fat loss.Excercise just helps to either push you into or increase that deficit.

Last edited by Northern Monkey; 24-07-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 24-07-2016, 04:54 PM #21

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Well I disagree with this entirely tbh, same as I disagree with smoker costing the NHS. They may cost more during their lifetime, however overall, no. Reasoning? They die younger so need less 24/7 care with age related illnesses. 24/7 care for years costs way more than the cost of the odd operation or whatever
Yes indeed Vicky.
The same as all the tax smokers pay on a packet of cigs, over a lifetime it will more than pay for any treatment they may need in later life. Plus they will take less pension etc as they will have a shorter life according to what we get told.

Last edited by smudgie; 24-07-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 24-07-2016, 05:07 PM #22
0_o

0_o

If everyone lived a healthy lifestyle, the NHS would be completely ****ed. Everyone knows this deep down I am sure, especially the people who run the country. This is why, when E-cigs sucessfully stopped a lot of people smoking, they suddenly became illegal to use in public places and all of a sudden there were concerns about their safety.

Of course this is no reason not to try and be healthy for yourself. But to make out that being unhealthy is a burden on others is slightly false
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 05:13 PM #23
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

and if you weren't looking crossing the road and got knocked down by a bus ... no medical treatment for you ... it was your own fault. Oh ... ginger people, its their own fault for having sensitive skin, so no treatment for them either
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 05:34 PM #24

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I don't fully blame individuals tbh.Humans evolved for feast and famine.We would hunt for food and eat and then go days sometimes without eating a proper meal.We are now conditioned by our society to eat 3+ meals a day and snacks in between and cram carbohydrates down our throats at every opportunity.Carbs imo are the worst.
It's our job to break that conditioning and take responsibility for our health.When you're very overweight and eat alot of carbs when you don't eat for a while and your blood sugar crashes quickly your body will start trying to tell you to eat some more carbs and give you hypoglycaemic symptoms which are not nice and can be worrying.It's tough to break out of but it can be done with will power and eating less food and better food.
At the end of the day we are the only ones as individuals who can make the change even if we are'nt solely to blame.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
crippling, debate, fat, nhs, people, sml