Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

The Apprentice Discuss the BBC's business reality show, The Apprentice.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:14 PM #1
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):

Default Selina Waterman-Smith spills tea on show "rigging, bullying & manipulation"

Quote:
A former contestant on the BBC's Apprentice show has claimed it is fixed from the start and contestants are kept like 'prisoners' during filming.
Selina Waterman-Smith attempted to win the backing of Lord Sugar as one of the hopefuls on the hit reality TV show last year - but was 'fired' by the businessman after a turbulent few weeks on the programme.
As the reality show returns to screens this year, the 33-year-old has slammed producers claiming terrible conditions, bullying and 'puppet-mastery' she says goes on behind the scenes.

Ms Waterman-Smith, who runs four successful businesses from her home in Dubai, branded the programme 'the worst and most manipulated of all reality shows', saying finalists are picked ahead of the first challenge and helped to success by editing which makes them look good.
'The average viewer cannot begin to imagine the level of control and puppet-mastering that goes on. Candidates each year are mere pawns, as unsuspecting as lambs to the slaughter', she says.

She lashed out at the conditions as the pressure rises in the Apprentice house where they all live.
Writing for MailOnline, she states: 'You become prisoners in this dark insular world of negativity and rivalry.'
She says candidates are deprived of sleep and given poor quality food and drink to make them appear more desperate on screen.

'This rationing, starvation and sleep deprivation is not by chance, what better way to ensure fraught nerves and lapses in concentration than by throwing together cold, starving and exhausted, stressed out young people?' she asks.
Ms Waterman-Smith claims the famous boardroom scenes in which wannabes are grilled by Lord Sugar and his assistants are scripted in advance, with producers telling the mogul who to target.
She added: 'Before we are summoned, we have to sit in a dark, windowless room in complete silence for up to three hours. No books, no communication, just pure, tense silence.'
Hitting out at 'miserable old-timer' Lord Sugar, she states 'no matter how rich and successful, you can still be a cruel and mercurial boss... [but] I do not believe you have to cajole and manipulate people in order to get good results in business'.

'BULLIED, STARVED, SLEEP-DEPRIVED AND HUMILIATED': FORMER CONTESTANT SELINA WATERMAN-SMITH'S WITHERING ATTACK ON LORD SUGAR'S THE APPRENTICE

It's that time again, Britain's dubiously dubbed 'brightest and best' candidates lining up for their chance to be bullied, starved, sleep-deprived, manipulated and humiliated, all for the chance to work alongside a miserable old-timer about to draw his pension. Lord Sugar's cringe-inducing one-liners, unapproachable glacier Karen, and the underwhelming Claude, not to mention the usual deluded claims from candidates. But having been behind the scenes myself as a candidate on the 2015 series of the show, let's not judge the candidates too harshly. The average viewer cannot begin to image the level of control and puppet-mastering that goes on. The Apprentice is a multi-million pound earning show, and the perfect vehicle to drive Lord Sugar's monstrous desire for fame and notoriety. They will protect the brand at all costs, and candidates each year are mere pawns, as unsuspecting as lambs to the slaughter.
When I was first selected by telephone for The Apprentice, my immediate concern was my fellow candidates. I have been running my own business, which I self-funded through sheer grit and determination for the last 12 years, so hard work and long hours didn't concern me. But I remembered a girl in the final audition stages as being brash, argumentative and desperately insecure. I knew instinctively that that this woman would make my life a misery on the show. Foolishly, I told a producer this and said I would decline my place if this girl had also been picked. Unbeknownst to me, she was not on the list of selected candidates, but my discussion with the producer was apparently the catalyst for that girl being added as an 'extra' name last minute. You can imagine my shock and horror on the very first day when the first person I saw in the reception area was this same girl. I felt then I was being horribly stitched up. Before the second day was even through, I made a formal complaint about this girl for bullying, after she screamed abuse at me for so long production had to remove her from our car leaving me in tears. It is those moments of distress and upset that the camera crew deliberately filmed and encouraged throughout the series.
Have you ever wondered how the boardroom remains so tense? Waking up on boardroom day the tension mounts, we are expected to be ready for hours and production interview us one by one, demanding we blame each other and point the finger at someone for potential failure before we find out our fate. We are all wondering who has our backs and who will turn on us in the boardroom. Before we are summoned, we have to sit in a dark, windowless room in complete silence for up to three hours. No books, no communicating, just pure tense silence. This gives Sugar time to speak to producers and plan whom to attack in the boardroom, what shots they need to film and which candidate they will decide to fire. The claim that it is 'unscripted' is an absolute joke; everything that happens is pre-planned for maximum effect on TV. For example, I was given a hard time on each and every boardroom, in fact it became a running joke among us that 'whatever happens, Selina will get the blame anyway.' On task 5, the book task, when I was sub-team leader, wrote and sang the theme tune for the audio book, came up with the concept and was top seller – I thought I was safe. Yet, Sugar and his team came up with a sneaky way to discredit me; his opening comment after revealing we failed was 'Selina, don't you think you should have sold more,' and much was made of this. However, the viewers do not know I was the top seller, they were not shown the clip of Karen Brady saying I made 'the best sale of the day.' Regardless of my sales figure, Sugar has successfully lead viewers to believe that whatever I sold, was not enough.

In my view, it is reality TV plain and simple, and the worst and most manipulated of all the shows.
Tasks are usually determined in advance regarding who will win and lose. Often one team will have a substantial disadvantage, like a poor sales location, or being inexplicably held up for an hour while the other team was out selling. On task 8, the event task, which I was PM for and won a second time, they actually changed the rules of the entire show to try and catch me out – which is quite flattering in a way.
We are not permitted to get phone numbers on camera, everything is provided in a dossier given to us on each task, which also dictates rules and deadlines. On this task, they claimed I had 'forgotten' to take the customer's phone number which jeopardized the entire task. In 11 years of Apprentice history, candidates have been told 'everything is in the dossier'. It was a weak point that resonated with viewers making me look incompetent, but how would you at home know the rules we have to abide by? Later in this task, there is footage of the client complaining that the gift bags were not age appropriate. Actually the client was fine all day, then randomly the director ushered her over to me for a chat, and she whispered 'I'm sorry they're making me do this,' before the show commenced.
She had obviously been told to complain to me. Later in the boardroom, Lord Sugar said the goody bags were a sham, and I shouldn't have used them, implying that the client did not purchase them, again making me look incompetent in my own industry. However, she did buy them, and the profit on those bags was the reason why we beat the other team, made more money, and ultimately won the task.

After my experiences and things I have learned, in my view Vana and Joseph were hand-picked or moulded as finalists. Vana routinely snuck out with the producer for an off-camera chat before boardroom. She also regularly boasted to us about how much money she had, and how she had 'never even watched the show.' She seemed smug in the knowledge that she was safe and secure. She also boasted that producers has promised to give her 'a good edit,' where she would be presented as the 'voice of reason' towards the end of the series. The final 5 in my year, apart from Richard Woods who was the only genuine business brain, the others consisted of deeply unpleasant personalities.
But that's not all they have in common. Vana, Joseph, Charleiene and Brett were obsessed with the program, were buoyed up rather than diminished by the mind games and culture. They wanted nothing more than to win at any cost, and were not determined by their collective business skills, but their ability to fit the agenda that the show perpetuates.

During each task you can be led off up to 5 times a day and hit with a barrage of questions like 'who is to blame for the failure of this task?', 'do you think Elle should be fired?' and other finger-pointing. The more reasonable candidates would be disinclined to savage one another off camera, but the good TV, the strong answers, the snide comments about another candidate are the ones the producers line-up for the final position. They don't want free thinkers, people that see through the process, candidates with a mind of their own. They want easily manipulated nasty little sheep. The Apprentice is as much about business skills as The X Factor is about singing; vaguely relevant but not the ultimate criteria.
People disbelieve that we only have 20 minutes in the morning to get ready – this is completely true. We do not know about any timings or schedules and are woken by camera crews. There's no time for shower, hair, make-up and breakfast, so women usually skip food. There's little to no food in the house anyway, unless you like eating processed crackers and biscuits. Diet requirements, intolerances and allergies, or vegetarianism were simply ignored, despite being discussion with producers who assured we would be looked after. I remember once asking a member of the house team if we could have some food in the fridge and her response was 'we went over budget this week, so production won't let us have more food until next week.' I was gob-smacked; you have several cameras worth £50,000 and you can't buy the candidates basic groceries? We are not allowed to leave the house for the full 5-6 weeks of filming unless we are filming, not do we have our wallets, phones, internet or access to the outside world. There are no medics or access to things like pain killers at home or on tasks. You become prisoners in this dark insular world of negativity and rivalry.
On tasks it wasn't much better; usually Pret a Manger bags would be dumped on the floor on our car and we could sift through the soggy chemicalised sandwiches on our way to a task. Getting even water on the first task was impossible, and I remember one girl complaining she was feeling faint. This rationing, starvation and sleep deprivation is not by chance; what better way to ensure fraught nerves and lapses in concentration than by throwing together cold, starving and exhausted stressed out young people? On task 4, the pet show, I was conveniently denied food when everyone else was fed. I also have ME (CFS), which is exacerbated by too little food and low blood sugar. They claimed they 'could not find me' any suitable lunch after they fed everyone else and I noticed the cameras really trailing me that day. Feeling faint and ill, they took a quick shot of me behind our stand yawning – heaven forbid human beings yawn! – and used that defining to shot to suggest I was both lazy and unmotivated. Once again, I was sub-team leader, had contributed and sold more than others, yet I was single out and manipulated into giving them footage that suited their agenda.
More worrying is that they take prescription medication from us too. I have suffered with anxiety for the last few years, an unfortunate complication of PTSD after being attacked in 2012. You would think that producers, while needing to make television, would have some moral or ethical responsibility towards candidates? Sadly not. The publicists encourage candidates to 'tell us all your secrets' so they can 'protect' you. If you have a criminal record, have lost your parents, or were violently assaulted, you can expect them to use all of that information against you in their press campaign.
After various stories about the unfortunate demise of both my parents were released by the show, and then the entirely false story came out that I work as an exotic dancer in the UAE (those types of clubs are illegal here anyway).

It is obvious who will do well in the show – it is the ones about whom you read nothing negative in the press, except light pieces praising them, or comparing them to Florence Nightingale like the Leah Walsh (winner 2013) story that she snuck out at night to work on the ER ward as a doctor.
I am so disappointed that this once in a lifetime opportunity was such a total farce, miserable experience and horribly unfair process. But I will watch it this year, if only to try and spot the manipulation on tasks and whom is being groomed at the winner. I am proud that I did not quit, and though I was not my usual exuberant self, I competed and won twice as Project Manager, despite much interference from producers. I have learned that producers are deeply unpleasant individuals and that the kindness I received from the decent candidates will stay with me for life. I discovered that no matter how rich and successful, you can still be a cruel and mercurial boss, and my integrity demands I do not follow in this leadership style. I do not believe that you have to cajole and manipulate people in order to get good results in business, however I do firmly believe that this methodology is essential for producing excellent television.

SELINA WATERMAN-SMITH'S ALLEGATIONS AND THE APPRENTICE PRODUCTION COMPANY'S RESPONSES TO THOSE CLAIMS

The former Apprentice contestant claimed the producers demand that participants blame each other and camera crews deliberately film and encourage moments of distress and upset.
She alleged that candidates would sit in a 'dark, windowless room in complete silence for up to three hours' before boardroom scenes with Lord Sugar; that boardroom scenes are pre-planned for maximum effect and claims made against candidates in the boardroom are 'falsified'.
Ms Waterman-Smith claimed customers used in the show were told to make complaints against contestants against their wishes
In her letter she alleges the pair who become finalists are determined in advance, 'hand-picked and moulded' ahead of time and those candidates are given 'a good edit'.
Responding, a spokeswoman for The Apprentice said: 'These claims are simply not true. We take our duty of care to the candidates throughout filming very seriously and strongly refute any allegations to the contrary. Claims that scenes are falsified or that the finalists would be picked before the show starts are completely incorrect.'
Ms Waterman-Smith alleges that during filming of the show another contestant, Charlene Wain, shouted abuse at her so that Ms Wain had to be removed from a car by production staff.
The spokeswoman said: 'Production are unaware of any incident like this. There was an incident during filming in which Selina pushed Charleine, which resulted in Selina being given a verbal warning by the production team, who dealt with the incident quickly and professionally. Both women decided to stay in the process after discussions with the production team.'
During filming Selina claimed the dietary requirements of candidates are 'completely ignored'; there are no medics available to them and prescription medication is taken from them. She also alleged that candidates are also denied food on purpose to make them appear more desperate on camera.
The spokeswoman said: 'We take our duty of care to the candidates very seriously, and ensure that all medical and dietary requirements are catered for throughout the process. The claim that candidates would be denied medical attention or prescribed medicines, or denied food for effect during filming, is not true.'
Ms Waterman-Smith claimed candidates 'secrets', in Ms Waterman-Smith's case information about her parents, are leaked to the media, along with fabricated stories, such that she was an exotic dancer.
The Apprentice spokeswoman refuted those claims: 'This is absolutely not the case – the show's team at no point give out any confidential information about any of the candidates to the media.
'The media were first to label Selina as an 'exotic dancer' due to her background as a performer, and the show's team worked swiftly and tirelessly to ensure these references were removed in press articles wherever possible. This was at no point included in any official press information about Selina.'
Her final claim was that finalist Vana Koutsomitis has family connections to Lord Sugar.
The spokeswoman said: ''This is not correct. Lord Sugar does not know Vana's family, either socially or professionally.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4MuL6bbYs
Not Vana going off for offscreen chats, it's an interesting albeit messy read!

Spoiler:

Last edited by reece(:; 12-10-2016 at 09:14 PM.
reece(: is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:18 PM #2
Can I get a witness?

Favourites (more):
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle
Strictly 2019: Michelle Visage

Can I get a witness?

Favourites (more):
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle
Strictly 2019: Michelle Visage

If they were treated this abhorrently then many contestants would sue/complain vocally etc. I don't see Katie Hopkins and the like putting up with minimal sleep just to be good TV. Remember Selina lied about Charleine assaulting her in the boardroom only to be clocked by producers who said she did the pushing. Just piss off back to Dubai twerp

Last edited by Pete.; 12-10-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Pete. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:22 PM #3
like the boys

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Minh-Ly
Survivor 40: Michele

like the boys

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Minh-Ly
Survivor 40: Michele

Vana the recruit <3

Spoiler:

MB. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:23 PM #4
Namaste

Namaste

Quote:
Candidates each year are mere pawns, as unsuspecting as lambs to the slaughter
I rather like her dramatic way with words.
Lostie! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:34 PM #5
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Ms Waterman-Smith alleges that during filming of the show another contestant, Charlene Wain, shouted abuse at her so that Ms Wain had to be removed from a car by production staff.
The spokeswoman said: 'Production are unaware of any incident like this. There was an incident during filming in which Selina pushed Charleine, which resulted in Selina being given a verbal warning by the production team, who dealt with the incident quickly and professionally. Both women decided to stay in the process after discussions with the production team.'
Not The Apprentice: Bad Girls Club edition

Spoiler:

reece(: is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:37 PM #6
Inactive

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Victoria
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Inactive

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Victoria
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Mess if Charleine only got cast because Selina requested for her not to be <3
Old 12-10-2016, 09:45 PM #7

Mess at her wanting to be a business woman but the early starts are too much for her. Poor little thing.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 05:37 AM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete. View Post
If they were treated this abhorrently then many contestants would sue/complain vocally etc. I don't see Katie Hopkins and the like putting up with minimal sleep just to be good TV. Remember Selina lied about Charleine assaulting her in the boardroom only to be clocked by producers who said she did the pushing. Just piss off back to Dubai twerp
This, it just comes across like sensationalist rubbish. I'm sure there's some truth in things being manipulated etc but you have to wonder what she expected when applying to be on a reality TV show. Seems to me like she's only coming out with all this because the new series has started so there's interest in it and she's desperately trying to grab peoples attention... who's doing the manipulating here? (I guess it's ok when it's to her benefit though)

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 06:06 AM #9
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

Sounds like lies or at least her being dramatic - there have been how many contestants and even the likes of Stella English and Michelle Dewberry who have had a pretty crappy experience post show whow haventry mentioned any of this.

Some parts will have truth such as the early and long days and producers feeding lines to Sugar and even the candidates being prodded to blame each other for things ect but I think most of this sounds like nonsense.
Old 13-10-2016, 06:28 AM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Jade View Post
Sounds like lies or at least her being dramatic - there have been how many contestants and even the likes of Stella English and Michelle Dewberry who have had a pretty crappy experience post show whow haventry mentioned any of this.

Some parts will have truth such as the early and long days and producers feeding lines to Sugar and even the candidates being prodded to blame each other for things ect but I think most of this sounds like nonsense.
Good point, Stella even sued him (over something separate) didn't she? I think she lost the case too so if she could have made her money back by selling stories like this she probably would have.

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 06:30 AM #11

Selina seems the type to blame anyone and anything for her own failures. She also seems determined to stay in the public eye.
jennyjuniper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 04:16 PM #12
Starf⭐cker

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish

Starf⭐cker

Favourites (more):

I'm inclined to believe her. Philip from Series 5 (Pantsman) did a talk at my uni a few years ago and spilled on some Apprentice secrets - pretty similar to what Selina has said i.e. lack of food, sleep etc. Reality TV is highly manipulated, and The Apprentice is certainly no exception.

I do however feel it a tad convenient that she releases all this to coincide with the new series.

Quote:
They have to sign highly restrictive contracts though, saying they won't leak this kind of information about the process or criticise the show to the press. Candidates can get threatened with legal action if they bad-mouth the show.

And KT was on one of the earlier series, the show clearly gets more and more manufactured each year.
_Tom_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 04:27 PM #13

Translation: Have to get up early and have late lunches.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 05:18 PM #14
-

-

Queen of creative writing
Jason. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 05:19 PM #15
-

-

Quote:
Watch your mouth boy!

She dragged Bear through the pits

Last edited by Jason.; 13-10-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 27-10-2016, 01:11 AM #16

Favourites (more):
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):

I cannot believe i bothered to read that tiresome novel of an article , i barely remember her from last year's show she was instantly forgettable and she sounds like a melodramatic moaner who bitches about everything. These claims are ridiculous and shocking and is clearly sour grapes on her part seen as she got kicked out the show in which ever week (did she even last that long )

Even if there's some truth in what she's saying which i doubt wouldn't other contestant's mention or complain about the soo called terrible treatment, and why would they carry on with the show ??? . Nope i find it very hard to believe and the fact that she's been caught out lying about an altercation she had with one of the other candidates just doesn't look good .

I think she either just hated her experience in general because of the exhausting long days and early starts and the stressful tasks , and yeah they do bicker with each other and blame one another but surely she knew what she was signing up for ? , or she's just peed off she didn't win and can't take any kind of criticism and she obviously didn't like many of the contestants and she sounds jealous and resentful , and she really seems to dislike the show and producers etc so why did she go on the show she's a typical miserable bitter lemon head lol

Last edited by GoldHeart; 27-10-2016 at 10:27 AM.
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 03:05 AM #17
Jemal

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard

Jemal

Favourites (more):

Didn't really watch last years but this sounds super messy. I agree with her exaggerating some parts, if it was as bad as she made it out to be then she would definitely not be the only one complaining. She sounds mature in the sense that she didn't play the race card, which I thought she'd do.

Idk. I guess it all can't be pure lies tho

This series there were a lot of scenes of the candidates in the house, which we never really see, some of the scenes were quite detailed; for instance, there was quite a lengthy scene where they were messing around in the house and Karthik was half naked in the hot tub They all looked like they were having the time of their lives

So yeah, maybe it was to show the viewers that the candidates have a decent experience. All in all the article was very interesting

Last edited by Gstar; 18-12-2016 at 03:07 AM.
Gstar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 07:39 AM #18

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa with the good hair View Post
Didn't really watch last years but this sounds super messy. I agree with her exaggerating some parts, if it was as bad as she made it out to be then she would definitely not be the only one complaining. She sounds mature in the sense that she didn't play the race card, which I thought she'd do.

Idk. I guess it all can't be pure lies tho

This series there were a lot of scenes of the candidates in the house, which we never really see, some of the scenes were quite detailed; for instance, there was quite a lengthy scene where they were messing around in the house and Karthik was half naked in the hot tub They all looked like they were having the time of their lives

So yeah, maybe it was to show the viewers that the candidates have a decent experience. All in all the article was very interesting
What race card ?? Isn't she white . And I think she was fabricating facts to stay relevant , there's no way the show is as terrible as she makes out otherwise they'd be a lawsuit and plenty of others would quit the show and complain
Old 18-12-2016, 08:24 AM #19
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

Of course the finalists are picked from day one LS isn't going to invest 250,000 into a business plan that won't work no matter how able the candidate is
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 12:02 PM #20
-

-

Selina was still bullied.
Old 18-12-2016, 12:20 PM #21
Banned

Banned

It wouldn't surprise me, it's been absolute dirge for years now.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 09:22 PM #22
Jemal

Favourites (more):

Jemal

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
What race card ?? Isn't she white . And I think she was fabricating facts to stay relevant , there's no way the show is as terrible as she makes out otherwise they'd be a lawsuit and plenty of others would quit the show and complain
MB I thought it was the black girl
Gstar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 03:25 PM #23

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa with the good hair View Post
MB I thought it was the black girl