Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:44 PM #1

Favourites (more):
CBB21: John Barnes
CBB20: Sandi Bogle

Favourites (more):
Default The Defenders (18th August 2017) Netflix

Are you a Marvel fan of Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Luke Cage or Iron Fist? If so then this new Netflix series is for you

Looks really good (Huge fan of daredevil)

Last edited by _baileys_; 18-08-2017 at 12:08 PM.
_baileys_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:51 PM #2
-

-

Def excited for it, I read a review of the first few episodes saying it's good. Although apparently Danny Rand isn't any less annoying than he was in Iron Fist
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:42 PM #3

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Def excited for it, I read a review of the first few episodes saying it's good. Although apparently Danny Rand isn't any less annoying than he was in Iron Fist
LOL nice
Old 11-08-2017, 09:19 PM #4

So excited, I've met Finn Jones, Jessica Henwick, Sacha Dhawan and Wai Ching Ho
Old 14-08-2017, 03:35 PM #5

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBUK-Fan View Post
So excited, I've met Finn Jones, Jessica Henwick, Sacha Dhawan and Wai Ching Ho
oooh that is very cool nice one

I once met matt dillion walked into a pub in Cardiff (years & years ago) that I was in does that count? lol
Old 14-08-2017, 03:37 PM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by _baileys_ View Post
oooh that is very cool nice one

I once met matt dillion walked into a pub in Cardiff (years & years ago) that I was in does that count? lol
That is awesome.
Old 17-08-2017, 06:41 PM #7
Locke.

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
CBB20: Paul Danan

Locke.

Favourites (more):

The first reviews are out now, it holds an 80% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes and 65/100 on Metacritic. Won't lie, was hoping for higher, although most reviews are still positive.

Nevertheless, looking forward to tomorrow. Probably end up binging it all in one night.

Just saw that Luke Cage has a higher RT rating than JJ and Daredevil so nevermind.

Last edited by Locke.; 17-08-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Locke. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 07:46 PM #8

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke. View Post
The first reviews are out now, it holds an 80% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes and 65/100 on Metacritic. Won't lie, was hoping for higher, although most reviews are still positive.

Nevertheless, looking forward to tomorrow. Probably end up binging it all in one night.

Just saw that Luke Cage has a higher RT rating than JJ and Daredevil so nevermind.
ahh dont worry about RT long as you enjoy it
soo looking forward to it

Ratings for 'the office' are massive but I hated it .. lol
Old 17-08-2017, 08:09 PM #9
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke. View Post

I'm not that worried tbh; I still enjoyed Iron Fist despite its critical panning and admittedly many, many flaws.

The last couple of episodes of Luke Cage are the worst of Netflix Marvel so far . It started out strong but went rapidly downhill after the villain switcheroo, and the final episode wasnt just below par, it was actually bad. I have no idea how it manages to be better rated than DD and JJ overall, which are on another level on "peak" episodes.
Old 17-08-2017, 08:11 PM #10
Locke.

Favourites (more):

Locke.

Favourites (more):

Yeah, I think if Luke Cage maintained the quality it had in the first half of the season then I may have preferred it to everything else Marvel have done, but it took the biggest nosedive ever after killing Cottonmouth. Iron Fist was enjoyable but a bit bland, I really liked the character of Ward though.
Old 17-08-2017, 08:13 PM #11

Daredevil is definitely the best. Luke Cage had potential, but they ****ed up after you know when.

Brother Leon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 12:05 PM #12

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Leon View Post
Daredevil is definitely the best. Luke Cage had potential, but they ****ed up after you know when.
I love love love DD awesome series
Old 18-08-2017, 12:07 PM #13

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I'm not that worried tbh; I still enjoyed Iron Fist despite its critical panning and admittedly many, many flaws.

The last couple of episodes of Luke Cage are the worst of Netflix Marvel so far . It started out strong but went rapidly downhill after the villain switcheroo, and the final episode wasnt just below par, it was actually bad. I have no idea how it manages to be better rated than DD and JJ overall, which are on another level on "peak" episodes.
I understand completely I couldn't get into Luke Cage after episode 2 - I just lost all interest...
Old 18-08-2017, 01:04 PM #14
Banned

Banned

Nothing comes close to Jessica Jones, it's in another league in comparison to all other Marvel shows.

It's the only one that was consistently good throughout, the writing was on another level and the characters were by far the best and most realised. Daredevil is good but uneven, both of it's seasons started off strong and ended terribly. Making Kingpin as central a character as Matt worked on paper but not in practice, they made him look weak and they only managed to fix it in the second season. The Punisher stuff in the second season was excellent but the second half was ruined by the generic faceless ninjas and a lack of an actual antagonist. Luke Cage was a similar story, excellent first half and a woeful second one.

Iron Fist was just poor. It's writing was awful and Finn Jones is painfully miscast, they should have made a mask part of his costume if he wasn't up to the fight scenes so they could use a stuntman more often since they are noticeably worse whenever he is involved (this problem persists into Defenders thus far too). He doesn't look convincing, he isn't convincing in the way he acts and the character has essentially been turned into a gap year student with a Henna tattoo to suit him. The best thing they could do if they won't recast Danny would be to kill him off and introduce a new Iron First because, so far, The Defenders hasn't fixed the character yet.

I watched the first two episodes of The Defenders and I've enjoyed it so far although it's odd how the writing does go to **** whenever Danny's on screen. I'm glad that the writing seems to be on point for the rest of the characters though. I was worried that they'd potentially dumb down the writing when it came to Jessica to make her fit better with the others but that's not the case. The Jury's out on Sigurney Weaver though, she plays the part well but I've not seen enough of her to think that her villain is anything other than a generic sinister rich woman.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 01:06 PM #15
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by _baileys_ View Post
I understand completely I couldn't get into Luke Cage after episode 2 - I just lost all interest...
I liked it right up until Cottonmouth was replaced as main villain. It was a bit slower paced than other Marvel shows but it was still good viewing in my opinion. But Diamondback was just a total let down, easily the worst villain a Marvel show has had so far, and it ruined the second half of the season. And I still say the final episode wasn't just poor or bad... It was straight up stupid. It was like a cross between a straight to video Jean Claude VanDamme movie and a three-stooges slapstick comedy.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 18-08-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 21-08-2017, 01:08 AM #16
Locke.

Favourites (more):

Locke.

Favourites (more):

Just finished the finale. Really enjoyable season

Spoiler:

I loved how they incorporated the colours of each Defender in their individual scenes. Daredevil having that red tint, Luke the dark tint, etc. Also in the opening titles. Was a bit frustrating waiting for them all to meet having been shown their introductions already in the trailer, but the opening episodes were still solid and it was fun watching them each find their ways to one another.

I like how Danny and Matt have effectively switched places as of the end of the season. Their individual seasons definitely needed that shake up. Matt's arc in DD S2 wasn't that great, The Punisher really saved that season for me. And while I did enjoy Iron Fist, it definitely could do with a big improvement for S2 and now that he's basically Hell's Kitchen's vigilante that will hopefully be a kickstart for that.

Finally getting the answers to everything about The Hand that they've been building up all the way since DD S1 was great, I just wish they'd tied that story up completely here. I know that most of them died, but there is no way that Gao did, she obviously found a way out and will have some of the serum. Elektra will probably be alive too. I liked her more here than in Daredevil but I'm not sure how I feel about her being around and having more power than the Defenders for more than just this season, because she's really not that interesting. They also done a really good job of fitting in all of the side characters from the individual seasons.

Can't wait for the Punisher now
Old 22-08-2017, 12:12 PM #17
Banned

Banned

I finished it. I thought it was better than Iron Fist and the second half of Luke Cage but way below the quality of the Marvel Netflix shows at their best.

The main problems are centred around Danny for reasons I've mentioned before. The actor doesn't fit the role, the character is badly written which is made all the more prevalent when he appears alongside an actual well written character and all the problems centred around him are magnified considering that he is pretty much the central character. I wish the rumours from a few years ago were true that they had scrapped Iron Fist in favour of a Punisher or Moon Knight series. The Iron Fist series has derailed the Marvel Netflix train.

The second issue was the supporting characters from each series.
Spoiler:

Most of them were there for the sake of it. Having them basically form the Superhero WAGs club in the police station was a pitiful waste of their characters. It also annoys me how little Claire was given to do until the very end, Her character is the glue that linked the Defenders together, to have her sit around and do nothing until the last two episodes is an insult to both the character and Rosario Dawson as her performance in all the Netflix shows so far have often been a highlight. Having Misty basically be a nuisance for most of the season really did a number on her character and her losing her arm like her comic book counterpart felt cheap and undeserved. It should have happened in the Luke Cage series so it could have more time on it rather than it being the cheap nod to the comics that it was in Defenders.

Most of the supporting casts' appearances should have just been cameos like Hogarth was.

The third big problem is the villains.
Spoiler:

Sigourney Weaver basically has no role in this season, her role was to walk out on stage at Comic Con and create buzz for Defenders. It annoys me that Marvel continues to waste good talent on thankless roles. Alexandra was a nothing character that did nothing and provided nothing and The Hand made for weak antagonists because, just like in Daredevil and Iron Fist, they are poorly defined and just not that threatening. Most of the Fingers were throwaway henchmen and even Madame Gao whose character has been another highlight of the Netflix universe is starting to wear thin here now we know everything about her. There's nothing about The Hand that makes me believe that the Defenders would need to team up to beat them.

Elektra on the other hand (ha) makes a good antagonist but, as with everything to do with the Hand, her abilities as The Black Sky are vague which makes it difficult to accept that she could give all four of the defenders a run for their money plus it didn't help that she spent most of the season as a mindless slave. Her scenes in the last episode with Matt were electric though and it annoys me that the writers didn't allow for Elektra's personality to resurface until the last two episodes. The Villains and the overall plot (HOW were they going to destroy New York?) were generally poor.

I did think that, for all it's problems, it was mostly enjoyable. They just need to come up with a credible threat for Season 2 and get better writers. The writing of everything Marvel Netflix related from the second half of Luke Cage and beyond has been worryingly terrible and I hope that's not a sign of things to come from The Punisher and Jessica Jones Season 2.

Last edited by Tom4784; 22-08-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 08:25 PM #18
-

-

I just finished it. I enjoyed it overall but I agree there are some issues. They took a bit too long to have the Defenders Assemble, half the season really, was just like jumping between their solo shows. Not enough group fight scenes IMO.

Secondly is that their powers are often so inconsistent? For one... Danny should be able to take both DD and Elektra (and any single Hand boss) solo without too much problem. They've really under-powered Iron Fist. Also if a shotgun blast can cause a bleed on the brain for Luke Cage as it did in JJ... then a full on Chi punch from Iron Fist shouldn't just hurt - it should easily knock him clean out. In fact a Cage vs Danny match should be pretty one sided... Luke is fairly slow and shouldn't even be able to land a hit on Danny, who should then only need to hit him once.

Then there's Jessica and Luke themselves - their strength varies. A lot. Sometimes Jessica seems to be only "rly strong" like maybe as strong as 5 people combined. Other times she can throw things through walls, drag cars around like cardboard, or... hold up an elevator that must weight several tonnes. With one hand. Also she doesn't have any martial arts training and isn't made out of rocks like Luke, sooo she should be sort of screwed against any trained Hand thug?

Story and character wise I did enjoy it though. It COULD signal a better Iron Fist if they do another as one of the most irritating things about him has been his "one track" mission and his overly-emotional involvement with it. Although I doubt The Hand is totally gone, taking them out of play for a while could allow the character to grow. Also a good set up for a different sort of Daredevil series, which is good, as his "not sure if I want to be daredevil or lawyer waaah" was getting old by S2.
Old 23-08-2017, 08:27 PM #19
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
The Villains and the overall plot (HOW were they going to destroy New York?) were generally poor.
Well that was kind of a problem too, they weren't even really up to anything particularly nefarious, just apathetic to collateral damage. It wasn't that they planned to destroy New York, they didn't HAVE a plan to, it was just that mining the "immortality stuff" from the dragon under NY was going to cause the city to collapse and they weren't really bothered. But all they actually wanted was the "stuff". Their motivation was purely that they wanted to live forever.
Old 23-08-2017, 08:28 PM #20
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Will I be missing much if I gave up on Luke Cage (hated it) and haven't watched Iron Fist yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 08:55 PM #21
Locke.

Favourites (more):

Locke.

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Will I be missing much if I gave up on Luke Cage (hated it) and haven't watched Iron Fist yet?
Quite a lot of the story follows on from Iron Fist, tbh. The only things relevant from Luke Cage are

Spoiler:

That Luke is in jail in the first episode and Misty Knight gets quite a lot of screentime throughout the series.
Old 23-08-2017, 10:16 PM #22
-

-

Yeah, you can probably skip Luke Cage as it's not important to the storyline if you've got the basics of the character and his abilities. Jessica's Jones also not essential (other than the fact that it's great and no one should skip it); all that would really be missed from that is the back-story between Jessica and Luke, but they hint at it enough to get the idea anyway.

If you've not watched Iron Fist then... Tbh... It'll probably be a chore trying to figure out Wtf is actually going on. I'd say this is a direct sequel to both Iron Fist and S2 Daredevil, and having seen both is pretty important.

Spoiler:

And actually having just said that has made me realise that this is basically a combination of mini Iron Fist Season 2 and mini Daredevil Season 3, feat. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage in supporting roles. . Throughout the whole thing they're both basically like "Well I have absolutely no idea what the **** is happening but these seem like bad guys and we're super strong so I guess we'll hit them and stuff."

All of the villains are DD and IF, and even other characters... Stick, Elektra and Colleen Wing feature heavily, characters from other shows are basically extended cameos, even Misty tbh. Obviously there's also Claire but - although her "main" role so far was arguably in Luke Cage - she was a DD original and actually probably played a more pivotal role in Iron Fist than she did in Cage...

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 23-08-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 24-08-2017, 04:03 AM #23
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Finale spoiler
Spoiler:

So glad the Hand is over now, that's always been the least fun part of the shows, I hope the next big bad is better, lol
Old 24-08-2017, 07:04 AM #24
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Finale spoiler
Spoiler:

So glad the Hand is over now, that's always been the least fun part of the shows, I hope the next big bad is better, lol
Spoiler:

Yeah but 100% sure Gao has survived, since DD and Elektra did. She may even have helped them get out IMO... but will probably still fall under the "ambiguous villain" category. Probably not as part of a new Hand though. But yeah like I said before, a new less "attached" villain could vastly improve Iron Fist if it carries on. His personal involvement with The Hand both as Iron Fist and because of his parents is what leads to the most tedious of his whining. A villain he's less personally involved with could improve the worst (I.e most self centered) aspects of the character. They seem to be hinting at that with him in the role of a DD style vigilante.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
18th, 2017, august, defenders, netflix