Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 18-11-2017, 03:46 PM #1

Default 'Don't take medicine you don't need!'

So there's this campaign going about now, which is saying don't take medicines you don't need.

You may have heard the radio campaign, saying don't take antibiotics you don't need.

But excuse me, but what the hell does that mean??????????????

Who would take antibiotics they don't need???? Who does that??

Like my friend who has been on Ventolin inhaler for 5 years, only takes 2-5 puffs a week, he got a letter from his doctor telling him not to use the Inhaler more than he needs it. Like WHO DOES THAT??? You only take the puffs you require, right??

Pleae help me here. It's all very confusing.

Last edited by Gusto Brunt; 18-11-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Gusto Brunt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 03:56 PM #2
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

The more antibiotics are used, the more resistance is built up against them, so, a few misusing them can **** it up for everyone. The number of different types of antibiotic that we have is limited, and new varieties are not being generated quickly enough to continue to provide effective treatment, if people continue to use them at the current rate.

In reality, the biggest issue is not in taking them, it is in not finishing the entire prescribed course. If you kill the infection completely within your body, its fine, the job has been done. If you only take part of the course and the infection survives, it builds up resistance.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 05:04 PM #3

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusto Brunt View Post
So there's this campaign going about now, which is saying don't take medicines you don't need.

You may have heard the radio campaign, saying don't take antibiotics you don't need.

But excuse me, but what the hell does that mean??????????????

Who would take antibiotics they don't need???? Who does that??

Like my friend who has been on Ventolin inhaler for 5 years, only takes 2-5 puffs a week, he got a letter from his doctor telling him not to use the Inhaler more than he needs it. Like WHO DOES THAT??? You only take the puffs you require, right??

Pleae help me here. It's all very confusing.

Well it's got to a point where people are confused about what they should and shouldn't take. If you're prescribed medication for a medical condition then yes you follow the guidelines .

But it's not just people who are on regular medication, it's people who might get a headache or suffering from an injury for e.g which will go away but they might be prescribed the wrong thing .

And there's things like anti depressants that you need to be careful of and same goes for Cocodamel & ibuprofen and any pain killer . You don't want to get addicted to those pills .

Sadly even the great talented celebrities have gone done the prescription drug route and overdosed, due to stress and other factors .

And I don't like the sound of sleeping pills either as people seem to rely too much on them and it's a slippery slope . And you've got to be wary of mixing alcohol .

If I can't sleep I would rather drink a hot drink or listen to music, medication ISN'T always the answer and that's the point .

And even doctors get it wrong and are sometimes too quick to prescribe you something you don't necessarily need .

So I would make sure you 100% need it and not just want it for the sake of it or for some quick fix .
Old 18-11-2017, 05:11 PM #4

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

The advertising campaign is mainly about the over use of ant-biotics.
Go to the doc with a cold...ask for anti-biotics
Viral infection
The over use of anti-biotics can deem them useless for when we really need them.
I have a lovely cocktail of meds I need everyday, and if I could do without them I would.
Unfortunately we don't realise the damage that side effects can do until it is too late.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 06:00 PM #5

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Viral infection
The over use of anti-biotics can deem them useless for when we really need them.
I have a lovely cocktail of meds I need everyday, and if I could do without them I would.
Unfortunately we don't realise the damage that side effects can do until it is too late.
Yeah that's another problem the damn side effects . You have to be so careful though especially regarding alcohol and sometimes people even develope serious allergies due to medicines .
Old 18-11-2017, 06:00 PM #6

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Renee Graziano

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Renee Graziano

i took eight months worth of antibiotics for a chest problem that lasted a year and one and a half years worth of antibiotics for acne

sorry guys i think i'm responsible for antibiotic resistance?
RichardG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 06:03 PM #7
You know my methods

You know my methods

half the folk on tibb take pointless vitamins because some marketing department told them to

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 06:08 PM #8
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
The more antibiotics are used, the more resistance is built up against them, so, a few misusing them can **** it up for everyone. The number of different types of antibiotic that we have is limited, and new varieties are not being generated quickly enough to continue to provide effective treatment, if people continue to use them at the current rate.

In reality, the biggest issue is not in taking them, it is in not finishing the entire prescribed course. If you kill the infection completely within your body, its fine, the job has been done. If you only take part of the course and the infection survives, it builds up resistance.
They are saying that is not the case now. Apparently not completing the course can be better. It sounds mad but there was something in the paper/on the news not long ago about it.

Found it.

https://www.sciencealert.com/experts...tics-after-all

Last edited by Brillopad; 18-11-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 06:09 PM #9
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Viral infection
This. It is antibiotics that are the issue.
Old 18-11-2017, 06:14 PM #10
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
They are saying that is not the case now. Apparently not completing the course can be better. It sounds mad but there was something in the paper/on the news not long ago about it.

Found it.

https://www.sciencealert.com/experts...tics-after-all
Yeah I read this too. Doctors have always told me to finish the packet even if symptoms are gone. I had tonsillitis a ridiculous amount as a kid and was on antibiotics near constantly. I wonder sometimes if I am somewhat resistant to them because of this. Wish they had just taken my bloody tonsils out like I asked them to
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 06:17 PM #11
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Viral infection
My grandma was on about 30 different tablets at one stage. I went through them all and I swear she only actually needed like 10 of them. The rest were all countering each other. For example she was on warfarin to thin her blood, then on something else to thicken her blood. I mean, wheres the sense in that really...

I told her to get them reviewed by a doctor instead of just refilling the prescriptions. She died pretty soon after so I never knew if she asked the doc or not. But it should never have got to that stage tbh
Quote:
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Old 18-11-2017, 06:25 PM #12
-

-

that antibiotics song they always play on telly is a bop
Fetch The Bolt Cutters is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 06:26 PM #13
-

-

Fetch The Bolt Cutters is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 06:40 PM #14
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Yeah I read this too. Doctors have always told me to finish the packet even if symptoms are gone. I had tonsillitis a ridiculous amount as a kid and was on antibiotics near constantly. I wonder sometimes if I am somewhat resistant to them because of this. Wish they had just taken my bloody tonsils out like I asked them to
Antibiotics have saved billions of lives but it is the stupid people that insist on using them for every little sniffle and cold despite being told a million times that antibiotics don’t work on colds. Colds are caused by viruses and antibiotics don’t work on virus-based infections - only bacterial ones.

They are the ones that have caused this problem for everyone else. Makes me fume!

Last edited by Brillopad; 18-11-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 18-11-2017, 06:45 PM #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
half the folk on tibb take pointless vitamins because some marketing department told them to

Not me LT.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 06:45 PM #16
0_o

0_o

You can't blame people surely, its doctors that are prescribing them when they arent needed..you can't just buy antibiotics
Quote:
Quote:
Old 18-11-2017, 06:49 PM #17
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
You can't blame people surely, its doctors that are prescribing them when they arent needed..you can't just buy antibiotics
Bit of both really, patients go in asking for them and rather than saying no, get over it in its own time, they have given them out for an easy life. The expectation for many years was to get some antibiotics from the doctor without regard to whether they were actually needed
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 06:50 PM #18
0_o

0_o

Wow, my doctor would never give me something I did not need. I have to fight tooth and nail for stuff I do ****ing need
Quote:
Quote:
Old 18-11-2017, 06:55 PM #19
User banned

User banned

Quote:
That’s true but I imagine with being under strict time constraints seeing patients it is easy to give into ‘problem’ patients that won’t listen just to get rid of them.
Old 18-11-2017, 07:27 PM #20
-

-

Yeah overuse / overprescription of antibiotics is a huge problem...causes resistant strains AND personal resistance to antibiotics. I personally say, if your body's natural immune system can beat something... Let it do it's job. People take antibiotics to speed up the process when their body could do it on its own given a few days longer. Antibiotics are amazing and save lives - so keep them for the situations where you just MIGHT need them to save your life, e.g. after major surgery, or if you're unlucky enough to get something like tuberculosis, septicaemia or an infection of a major organ.

Healthy adults (and even children older than about 5) really do not need antibiotics for every little throat or chest infection, even if it is bacterial.

I flat out refuse them these days, I had a heavy dose round of them when I was 22 and they killed off my gut bacteria and made me really, really ill. I was horrendously dehydrated and it's the only time I've ever called NHS24... Because I legit thought I was dying.

Couple of years ago I had strep (bad... Felt like swallowing shards of glass) and was told by the doctor that it would "definitely" wouldn't clear without antibiotics and he basically insisted on the prescription. I didn't collect it, and the infection cleared within 10 days . So I do think they're trigger happy with prescriptions.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 07:48 PM #21

Quote:
Wow, my doctor would never give me something I did not need. I have to fight tooth and nail for stuff I do ****ing need
My old doctor had more or less written a penicillin prescription before you had even closed the door only doctor ever to run appointments on time as he had you diagnosed whilst you sat in the waiting room
Old 18-11-2017, 08:15 PM #22

Quote:
You don’t personally become resistant from taking too many antibiotics. It’s the bacteria that is making you sick that’s resistant. We, as humans spread that resistant bacteria, so if you pick up a bug that resists antibiotics, its because the bug you picked up was already resistant. Everyone you pass that bug on to will also fail to respond to antibiotics, even if it’s the first time in their life that they’ve taken it.

The bug is resistant, not the person.
Old 18-11-2017, 08:19 PM #23

Quote:
Yeah overuse / overprescription of antibiotics is a huge problem...causes resistant strains AND personal resistance to antibiotics. I personally say, if your body's natural immune system can beat something... Let it do it's job. People take antibiotics to speed up the process when their body could do it on its own given a few days longer. Antibiotics are amazing and save lives - so keep them for the situations where you just MIGHT need them to save your life, e.g. after major surgery, or if you're unlucky enough to get something like tuberculosis, septicaemia or an infection of a major organ.

Healthy adults (and even children older than about 5) really do not need antibiotics for every little throat or chest infection, even if it is bacterial.

I flat out refuse them these days, I had a heavy dose round of them when I was 22 and they killed off my gut bacteria and made me really, really ill. I was horrendously dehydrated and it's the only time I've ever called NHS24... Because I legit thought I was dying.

Couple of years ago I had strep (bad... Felt like swallowing shards of glass) and was told by the doctor that it would "definitely" wouldn't clear without antibiotics and he basically insisted on the prescription. I didn't collect it, and the infection cleared within 10 days . So I do think they're trigger happy with prescriptions.
Yeah they kill off your good bacteria. In France, if you get a prescription for antibiotics, you also get pro-biotics to replenish the good gut flora but if you mention to a British doctor about taking something like acidophilus, they look at you like your mad. British doctors seldom support complementary medicine.
Old 18-11-2017, 08:23 PM #24

One of the worrying things now, especially with UTI's, is, one course of antibiotics isn't normally enough. More and more elderly people are going on to get sepsis even though they are being treated with antibiotics
Old 18-11-2017, 11:03 PM #25

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB16: Natasha Hamilton

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB16: Natasha Hamilton

Antibiotics they're wonderful pills but don't ever think they'll cure all of your ills Caught a cold? Got the flu? Feeling under the weather? That'll be a virus, they can't make that better! Take them for the wrong thing that's dangerous to do when you really need them they could stop working for you So please don't end up paying the price! Always take your doctor's advice

Last edited by Ant.; 18-11-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Ant. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
medicine