PDA

View Full Version : *Serious topic* Smokers should be banned from BB

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Smoking ads have been baned since the 70's, yet these people smoke like chimneys. Even smoking in dramas is almost completely banned.

No smokers only on BB should be the rule.

You watch them nd if you'e an ex-smoker, or a non-smoker, you're encouraged to light up.

Ban them!

Brad.
09-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Its a reality show and smoking is part of reality. you cant stop it or ban it.

shash
09-08-2009, 08:33 PM
I'm glad you aren't in government :wink:

MissKittyFantastico
09-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Yes but this is a 'reality' tv show that represents REAL people.

A lot of real people smoke.

No way can you ban smokers! It wouldn't be fair!

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Opinions above on board, I still think it should be a condition of getting on BB. It's subliminal advertising.

It should not be allowed.

MissKittyFantastico
09-08-2009, 08:38 PM
I actually think all this drama over one packet of fags is actually a really good anti smoking campaign in it's own right! :laugh:

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by MissKittyFantastico
I actually think all this drama over one packet of fags is actually a really good anti smoking campaign in it's own right! :laugh:

I'm an on-off smoker, and I crave a cigarette watching them.

Ban it, please!

BlackOrWhite
09-08-2009, 08:42 PM
You really expect that to be taken seriously? It's ridiculous.

Twilight
09-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Lol your joking righT??
A lot of people smoke, so why turn down a amazing hm ust because they
smoke?

andynsteve
09-08-2009, 08:43 PM
omg how silly, if thats the case ban eastenders, corrie etc also, when the cast smoke....jeesshhhh

lets ban asian , gay, lesbian, and ppl of colour also.....

so silly pmsl

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by andynsteve
omg how silly, if thats the case ban eastenders, corrie etc also, when the cast smoke....jeesshhhh

lets ban asian , gay, lesbian, and people of colour also.....

so silly pmsl

Glad you brought those up, Corrie and Eastenders.

How many of the casts of those shows have drink problems, or in Wendy Richards's case, cancer?

As for being a particular race or sexual persuasion, that's not a matter of choice, doesn't encourage people to become gay or black - plainly that's a ridiculous comparison. But I'm glad you mentioned those soaps, they have a lot to answer for.

wilful_woodpecker
09-08-2009, 09:05 PM
What has Wendy Richards having breast cancer got to do with it?

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 09:05 PM
As I was saying before the forum stoppe.

Ban smokers on BB.

They always get stroppy and ruin it anyhow.

rebelmaz
09-08-2009, 09:06 PM
then it should be the same for alcohol.

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by wilful_woodpecker

She was a heavy smoker, smoked like a chimney on the show, can it be ruled out as a cause?

Brad.
09-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Nemo123

Ban smokers on BB.

without smokers, tonights argument would never have happened ;)

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by rebelmaz
then it should be the same for alcohol.

That's an equivalent argument, except they don't give them enough drink even to get drunk.

Daffodil
09-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Big Brother is a wonderful advertisement against smoking.

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Bradley.

Ban smokers on BB.

without smokers, tonights argument would never have happened ;)

Maybe no bad thing, I wasn't greatly amused by it.

wilful_woodpecker
09-08-2009, 09:10 PM

She was a heavy smoker, smoked like a chimney on the show, can it be ruled out as a cause?

apparently smoking is NOT one of the risk factors....

http://www.cancerbackup.org.uk/Cancertype/Breast/Causesdiagnosis/Causes

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Daffodil
Big Brother is a wonderful advertisement against smoking.

You jest surely. Anything which promotes smoking, or has "heroes" (in the eyes of fans) smoking, endorses it.

Iceman
09-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Smokers have the right to smoke, if you ban them, then it's being biased and unfair to them, they aren't telling you to smoke or forcing you too.....

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 09:14 PM

apparently smoking is NOT one of the risk factors....

http://www.cancerbackup.org.uk/Cancertype/Breast/Causesdiagnosis/Causes

Well it certinly is a risk factor is lots of cancers. If her smoking encouraged others, like say Errol Flynn's, (who was responsible for lots of men smoking, who wanted to emulate him, and he did die of lung cancer) then it should be banned from television.

aoq2008
09-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Smoking ads have been baned since the 70's, yet these people smoke like chimneys. Even smoking in dramas is almost completely banned.

You watch them nd if you'e an ex-smoker, or a non-smoker, you're encouraged to light up.

Ban them!

I disagree, and on that note im going to intake some nicotine.

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Well, Hollywood has certainly curtailed smoking. You use to see every leading man and lady smoke. Hardly any more. It's unacceptble.

GypsyGoth
09-08-2009, 09:17 PM
I have tried smoking.

I don't think it should be banned form BB at all.

What is next only let people with blue eyes on the show?

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Young people are impressionable, and his show is aimed at them. If they see Siavash for example smoke, they'll think it's cool.

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by GypsyGoth
I have tried smoking.

Smoking is a choice, blue eyes are not. Ridiculous comparison.

GypsyGoth
09-08-2009, 09:23 PM
I have tried smoking.

You could wear contacts :tongue:

Iceman
09-08-2009, 09:24 PM
I have tried smoking.

Exactly it's a choice, they choose to smoke, you choose to inform us that your cravings are high, it's completely unfair to say no you can't be on the show.

There are young members on here who you may class as "impressionable" and i know for a fact they won't smoke...

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 09:24 PM
I have tried smoking.

You could wear contacts :tongue:

If I did, it wouldn't do anyone any harm.

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Iceman
I have tried smoking.

Exactly it's a choice, they choose to smoke, you choose to inform us that your cravings are high, it's completely unfair to say no you can't be on the show.

There are young members on here who you may class as "impressionable" and i know for a fact they won't smoke...

That's akin to saying advertising doesn't work, whereas all the billions spent on it says otherwise.

Iceman
09-08-2009, 09:28 PM
I have tried smoking.

That's akin to saying advertising doesn't work, whereas all the billions spent on it says otherwise.

So they should have no alcohol either etc etc....

Im not arguing now haven't got time, i dont think your idea will ever happen, its unfair on people for making their own choice to smoke....

anyway im just about to light up..:spin:

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 09:33 PM
I have tried smoking.

So they should have no alcohol either etc etc....

Im not arguing now haven't got time, i dont think your idea will ever happen, its unfair on people for making their own choice to smoke....

anyway im just about to light up..:spin:

Light up in your own home by all means. It's a frree world. You can't rasonably deny what gets shown on TV doesn't affect people's consumption of what they see "cool" or even "uncool" zelebs do. It's a moral issue, alas I don't reckon Endemol are too stong on morals.

A fr as I know,all the big fag brands are owned by the same few tobacco companies, so thy'renotbothered thatwe can't see the brand.

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 09:36 PM
You want to go on BB, you give up fags for up to 100 days. Simple as that.

Can't do it? You don't get to go on BB.

End of!

santaa
09-08-2009, 09:40 PM
No Dont be ridiculous. It often creates groups which brings interesting dynamics. I used to smoke and there was always some sort of comradery between the smokers in the smoking room and more conversation than in the non smokers room. Im not sure why. Virtual strangers can have a smoke together outside the pub and will chat and very quickly are no longer strangers

Davyd
09-08-2009, 09:44 PM
thats lame.

if your dumb enough to see people smoke and then smoke then you deserve the consequences of smoking. The show is on after the watershed and aimed more at young adults, not children or teens so I dont see how this show can promote smoking to those who are "impressionable".

If anything this show would promote argueing constantly and using naughty words. If im in that house I think I would need a fag after all the bitching, backstabbing and argueing!

Smoking has caused some of the best bits of this show. For example Karly asking for one packet of fags when she should of asked for 200! and obviously the arguement with marcus/bea/sophie...and ultimately pretty much everyone lol

Fangz
09-08-2009, 09:48 PM
No, because the show is not aimed at small children, it is on after the watershed and is aimed at late teens+, people who should know their own mind. Why limit the number of interesting potential HMs when the show is already struggling?

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by santaa
No Dont be ridiculous. It often creates groups which brings interesting dynamics. I used to smoke and there was always some sort of comradery between the smokers in the smoking room and more conversation than in the non smokers room. Im not sure why. Virtual strangers can have a smoke together outside the pub and will chat and very quickly are no longer strangers

For starters, I'm not being ridiculous. Smokers die by the hundreds of thousands every year due to their filthy habit. (I know alcohol is as bad, but this thread is about smoking). Soking dvetisements have been banned since the early 80's (?), since the Hamlet and Condor ads. What thee hm's do in the BB house encourages people watching to emulate them, that's how advertising works.

Drinking in moderation doesn't kill, smoking like Lisa for example, does.

I'm an on-off smoker, I said above, and when I see them I often crave a smoke. That's what's wrong. Maybe they should have a tea-room to congreate, a place where they may drink tea, instead of a smoking bus stop.

I really wonder if Endemol are on a (secret) retainer from BAT, to circumvent the advertising laws.

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Fangz
No, because the show is not aimed at small children, it is on after the watershed and is aimed at late teens+, people who should know their own mind. Why limit the number of interesting potential HMs when the show is already struggling?

The tobacco companies target young adults, notoriously in the far east and poorer parts of the world where smoking is on the rise, whereas here it is on the decline. It's on the decline here because advertising is banned and there is a health campaign against it.

BB is outrageous in the way it promotes smoking as being cool.

fallenkal
09-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Wow.

What's next? Should they digitally alter the image to show people holding flowers to their mouthes instead?

They should ban alcohol so recovering alcoholics aren't tempted. They should ban carbs in the house so fat people aren't tempted by sugary delights.

If you find the temptation of smoking too great while watching Big Brother there is an easier solution than banning smokers from applying.

Davyd
09-08-2009, 09:59 PM
I think your being silly.

If you dont want to smoke and BB causing you to crave, watch something else? You really started this thread because you want and excuse for yourself craving a fag. Peoples own desires (in this case, yours to not seen smoking as it causes cravings) should not be imposed on others. Theres a reason why you dont see murder, rape, intravenous drug use on BB because those things are illegal. Smoking isnt. and while it is LEGAL it shouldnt be banned on BB.

Fangz
09-08-2009, 10:00 PM

For starters, I'm not being ridiculous. Smokers die by the hundreds of thousands every year due to their filthy habit. (I know alcohol is as bad, but this thread is about smoking). Soking dvetisements have been banned since the early 80's (?), since the Hamlet and Condor ads. What thee hm's do in the BB house encourages people watching to emulate them, that's how advertising works.

I'm an on-off smoker, I said above, and when I see them I often crave a smoke. That's what's wrong. Maybe they should have a tea-room to congreate, a place where they may drink tea, instead of a smoking bus stop.

I really wonder if Endemol are on a (secret) retainer from BAT, to circumvent the advertising laws.
So the reason you want fags off of BB is because you're just too weak to resist? I'm a frequent smoker and I don't crave ciggies every time I see one on TV, there must be something up with you, not least your total hypocrisy and hand-wringing desire to be nannied by TV executives.

BBmassive
09-08-2009, 10:02 PM
WTF for ? what a load of tripe !! without smokers Mucus wouldnt have got so much camera time tonight ...smokers have as much right as anyone to go in bb .and MORE rights than a yank !!

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by fallenkal
Wow.

What's next? Should they digitally alter the image to show people holding flowers to their mouthes instead?

They should ban alcohol so recovering alcoholics aren't tempted. They should ban carbs in the house so fat people aren't tempted by sugary delights.

If you find the temptation of smoking too great while watching Big Brother there is an easier solution than banning smokers from applying.

No, ban smoking.

They don't give them enough alcohol to even get merry. Still some of them do? Alcohol advertisement hasn't been banned yet, maybe it should.

A for carbs, I haven't noticed any cospicuous carb consumption. There again,I would hardly recognise a carb if it bit me in the ass.

JustKaz
09-08-2009, 10:05 PM
If BB went on for another 10 years it would not suprise me if all HM were non smokers.

Funny thing is it illegal to smoke in bus shelter lol

I say this in relation to someone mentioning how smoking adds are banned now.

I'm a smoke I hate the fact I smoke and the times I tried to give up, and say I was watching for example coronation street lol and some one lit up, id think oh i want a cig lol.

I say this in relation to someone mentioning how smoking adds are banned now. So it wouldn't surprise me if in futer no smoking will be seen on tv. OTT this maybe or maybe not.

Running off topic from bb, but if I'm out shopping in the city and a fancy a ciggie, I always find myself looking around to see if I can spot others smoking lol.

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Davyd

If you dont want to smoke and BB causing you to crave, watch something else? You really started this thread because you want and excuse for yourself craving a fag. Peoples own desires (in this case, yours to not seen smoking as it causes cravings) should not be imposed on others. Theres a reason why you dont see murder, rape, intravenous drug use on BB because those things are illegal. Smoking isnt. and while it is LEGAL it shouldnt be banned on BB.

Tobacco advertising is illegal though, and that is what this is.

Fangz
09-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Nemo, I am popping out for a fag, I shall dedicate it to you.

Here's hoping it does me in, eh?:xyxwave:

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 10:08 PM

So the reason you want fags off of BB is because you're just too weak to resist? I'm a frequent smoker and I don't crave ciggies every time I see one on TV, there must be something up with you, not least your total hypocrisy and hand-wringing desire to be nannied by TV executives.

You don't crave cigarettes??? So why do you smoke?

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by JustKaz
If BB went on for another 10 years it would not suprise me if all HM were non smokers.

Funny thing is it illegal to smoke in bus shelter lol

I say this in relation to someone mentioning how smoking adds are banned now.

I'm a smoke I hate the fact I smoke and the times I tried to give up, and say I was watching for example coronation street lol and some one lit up, id think oh i want a cig lol.

I say this in relation to someone mentioning how smoking adds are banned now. So it wouldn't surprise me if in futer no smoking will be seen on tv. OTT this maybe or maybe not.

Running off topic from bb, but if I'm out shopping in the city and a fancy a ciggie, I always find myself looking around to see if I can spot others smoking lol.

I can't see BB going on for another 10 years, can you?
The bit highlighted is precisely what I'm getting at. Thank you for backing me up.

jamcam
09-08-2009, 10:13 PM
ohh please
another non smoker!!

think about this

what is the thing you like doing the most?

how would you feel if you were told your not aloud to do it

shut up and get a social life

Davyd
09-08-2009, 10:14 PM

yeah but smoking isnt illegal. I personally think you have to be really stupid to be influenced by 3 to 4 people on a reality tv show into smoking. I honestly do not beleive anyone is dumb enough to think "Oh Lisa is so cool, i want to be like her and smoke" I really doubt it. If you look at it really the smokers in there are some of the most hated. So if anything BB is doing some good for anti-smoking groups. I personally smoke and when I see them smoke I dont crave a fag. I craver a fag when its been a while since my last. Not cus someone else is smoking. Now I work as a healthcare professional and I know all the consequences of smoking but its my choice, my body and I started smoking because of my friends I guess origionally not because of a TV show.

Shasown
09-08-2009, 10:18 PM

As current legislation stands BB have no right to make it a requirement that housemates be non smokers.

And get this if they did try it under current legislation they could get sued for it.

Now would you like Endemol to go out of business for you not being able to withstand the craving you feel.

I take it when you say you are an on-off smoker you mean you are somebody who wants to stop but are too weak willed to actually try and stop.

If it makes you crave cigarettes to an extent you think that your post is actually a reasonable request I think you should stop watching it mate.

Snowball1986
09-08-2009, 10:18 PM
My mum, sister and best friend are all ex-smokers and watching Lisa doesn't make them want to go back to smoking!

The HMs have the smoking area, so it's not like they are blowing smoke in the others faces!

Also they ae hilarious when they have no smokes! It doesn't matter how many times people are told not to smoke, they still do it, unfortunetly!

Fangz
09-08-2009, 10:19 PM

Don't be obtuse, I said that watching people smoking on TV doesn't make me crave cigarettes, not that I don't crave them at all.

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 10:21 PM

yeah but smoking isnt illegal. I personally think you have to be really stupid to be influenced by 3 to 4 people on a reality tv show into smoking. I honestly do not beleive anyone is dumb enough to think "Oh Lisa is so cool, i want to be like her and smoke" I really doubt it. If you look at it really the smokers in there are some of the most hated. So if anything BB is doing some good for anti-smoking groups. I personally smoke and when I see them smoke I dont crave a fag. I craver a fag when its been a while since my last. Not cus someone else is smoking. Now I work as a healthcare professional and I know all the consequences of smoking but its my choice, my body and I started smoking because of my friends I guess origionally not because of a TV show.

You said the cool people don't smoke in there, but what about Siavash.

Tobacco advertising is banned. They are advertising tobacco on television, maybe not a brand, but is that relevent. ALL tobacco advertising is banned, therefore they should not be shown when they smoke, else don't allow smokers on the show.

Again you (and other posters) have denied the link between advertising and consumption, as if advertisers waste billions promoting a product for nothng. It flies in the face of th facts.

merv
09-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Bradley.
Its a reality show and smoking is part of reality. you cant stop it or ban it.

Thats silly, and part of the sillyness of the Real Big Brother attitude we are begining to live with in the real world.
It like saying lets ban Muslims in case we convert to Islam, or Ban Gay people because many find it offensive

bansheewails
09-08-2009, 10:22 PM
AS I stubb out my cigerette to answer, why not

Ban drinking in the house

Ban Fat people

Ban Arguements

Ban Beds.

All of the above are dangerous and could in some cases cause harm.

Ok I will go and smoke another cigerette now as your post made my sheep like brain think about smoking!

:bigsmile:

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Shasown

As current legislation stands BB have no right to make it a requirement that housemates be non smokers.

And get this if they did try it under current legislation they could get sued for it.

Now would you like Endemol to go out of business for you not being able to withstand the craving you feel.

I take it when you say you are an on-off smoker you mean you are somebody who wants to stop but are too weak willed to actually try and stop.

If it makes you crave cigarettes to an extent you think that your post is actually a reasonable request I think you should stop watching it mate.

BB could easily stipulate nonsmokers need only apply. It's a gameshow, they make the rules.

Davyd
09-08-2009, 10:25 PM

Tobacco advertising is banned. They are advertising tobacco on television, maybe not a brand, but is that relevent. ALL tobacco advertising is banned, therefore they should not be shown when they smoke, else don't allow smokers on the show.

Again you (and other posters) have denied the link between advertising and consumption, as if advertisers waste billions promoting a product for nothng. It flies in the face of th facts.

Yes but smoking, as you have said, is illegal to advertise yet even though smoking may be on the decline here there are still new smokers every day. So its not working that great and you cannot blame shows like big brother for that. If your mother smokes your 40% more likely to smoke if both your parents smoke your 80% more likely to. If we banned smoking all together taxes on our wages would go up! Just remember that. Do you really want to pay more taxes just so you dont have to watch smoking on TV because your too weak-willed to stop smoking?

Your looking at this from your own perspective, for your own selfish needs. Not for the health needs of the country or even the world.

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 10:31 PM

Yes but smoking, as you have said, is illegal to advertise yet even though smoking may be on the decline here there are still new smokers every day. So its not working that great and you cannot blame shows like big brother for that. If your mother smokes your 40% more likely to smoke if both your parents smoke your 80% more likely to. If we banned smoking all together taxes on our wages would go up! Just remember that. Do you really want to pay more taxes just so you dont have to watch smoking on TV because your too weak-willed to stop smoking?

Your looking at this from your own perspective, for your own selfish needs. Not for the health needs of the country or even the world.

defending people's right to smoke from a health perspective takes the biscuit. Even if you argue the revenue taken in tobacco sales outweighs the cost to the health service, you cannot quantify lost livs through smoking in monetary terms.

I can empathise with weak-willed people, but I've no time for people who advocat smoking. Everyone should be on the same side, ie anti-smoking. It's BAD FOR YOU (and me).

moonballoon
09-08-2009, 10:33 PM
In the early BBs, they used to give them GALLONS of alcohol, and the shows often started with pictures of about a million empty bottles lying around, and the voiceover saying 'last night, the housemates drank .... 30 bottles of wine, six crates of beer ...' etc, as if BB had no responsibility for that at all.

Davyd
09-08-2009, 10:36 PM

defending people's right to smoke from a health perspective takes the biscuit. Even if you argue the revenue taken in tobacco sales outweighs the cost to the health service, you cannot quantify lost livs through smoking in monetary terms.

I can empathise with weak-willed people, but I've no time for people who advocat smoking. Everyone should be on the same side, ie anti-smoking. It's BAD FOR YOU (and me).

Yes its bad for ME and only bad for you if you do it. Its your choice to allow people on tv to influence your smoking habbits. No one forces anyone to smoke. Now i never defended anyones right to smoke from a health perspective. We were born, not by our choice, so what I do with my body is my business, as long as its legal, it shouldnt be a problem.

alcohol causes more problems I would assume, not just alcoholism, but drunken fights, drunken sex resulting in STI's or unwanted pregnancy and even drink driving which can cause serious injury or even death. If your so concerned about the health of the public and big brothers influence on this I would start a new thread trying to get people to agree with you on banning alcohol.

Now im going for a fag before I go to sleep. nite nite!

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by moonballoon
In the early BBs, they used to give them GALLONS of alcohol, and the shows often started with pictures of about a million empty bottles lying around, and the voiceover saying 'last night, the housemates drank .... 30 bottles of wine, six crates of beer ...' etc, as if BB had no responsibility for that at all.

It was great fun to watch but with the rise of drunk and disorderly behaviour on the streets it became indefensible. I can think of plenty of show that use to glamourise getting pissed, Ab Fab, Men Behaving Badly, and others. The message was clear: geting pissed=having fun, cause and effect. Getting sloshed was glamourised, cool.

muchadoaboutnothing
09-08-2009, 11:11 PM
****** off. If you didn't have smokers in the house then BB would become very boring. It is the smokers (and them having no fags) that create the arguments in the house with their frustrations of having no fags. If BB is going to ban the smoking then why not ban the drinking? Stupid thread if you ask me.

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by muchadoaboutnothing
****** off. If you didn't have smokers in the house then BB would become very boring. It is the smokers (and them having no fags) that create the arguments in the house with their frustrations of having no fags. If BB is going to ban the smoking then why not ban the drinking? Stupid thread if you ask me.

Chill your boots! Go and have a fag, you need one.

Prole
09-08-2009, 11:20 PM

Ban them!

I think that's a bit of a fascist stance. Are smokers the only group you'd like banned? How about drinkers? They could make people fall off the wagon. Fat people? They'll surely encourage people to break their diet. Don't get me started on stupid people......

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Prole

Ban them!

I think that's a bit of a fascist stance. Are smokers the only group you'd like banned? How about drinkers? They could make people fall off the wagon. Fat people? They'll surely encourage people to break their diet. Don't get me started on stupid people......

Ban stupid people, hmmmmmmm...that's an idea. Just htink we wouldn't have had 9 lousy winners, and counting.

rayheartbliss
09-08-2009, 11:25 PM
smoking doesnt make you a bad person!

though it does make your breath smell bad ^,^

a_2009
09-08-2009, 11:27 PM
I think smokers should be allowed in the house, it would be unfair to discriminate.

Based on the arguement that it encourages you to smoke, surely you face heaps of smokers throughout the day at work, or on a night out....and that this will trigger your cravings? So are you suggesting smoking should be banned full stop?
I quit over 4 months ago, I still get cravings, but i made a decision to never smoke again. I'm not going to criticise people who do smoke, I think it all comes down to choice. If anything watching people smoke now makes me personally feel quite lucky i'm no longer inhaling all that crap in to my lungs smoking 20 a day, and i've finally got over the addiction.

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by rayheartbliss
smoking doesnt make you a bad person!

though it does make your breath smell bad ^,^

It does if you haven't got any. Some of the poster above (name no names) seem to have run out.:wink:

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by a_2009
I think smokers should be allowed in the house, it would be unfair to discriminate.

Based on the arguement that it encourages you to smoke, surely you face heaps of smokers throughout the day at work, or on a night out....and that this will trigger your cravings? So are you suggesting smoking should be banned full stop?
I quit over 4 months ago, I still get cravings, but i made a decision to never smoke again. I'm not going to criticise people who do smoke, I think it all comes down to choice. If anything watching people smoke now makes me personally feel quite lucky i'm no longer inhaling all that cr*p in to my lungs smoking 20 a day, and i've finally got over the addiction.

Smoking is banned in the workplace and pubs, but you do still have to run the gauntlet of that stench at the pub door.

merv
09-08-2009, 11:32 PM
This appears to be anti smoking thread and really little to do with BB,but.
If you drive a car then you too are contributing to Cancer,
If you are a none driver living in a city, you smoke the equivelant poisons as having 20 cigs a day(check yourself)
So, where is the call to ban cars, or make the housemates walk to the house on first night.

BigBummer
09-08-2009, 11:34 PM
People can smoke if they want.
If you are worried teach your children not to copy fools off the telly... that should help.

Not only that, some of the best BB moments have been as a result of lack of cigs. What a silly thread.

tentpeg
09-08-2009, 11:34 PM
I would say that Lisa's voice alone is a massive anti-smoking advert! Wendy Richards died because of her habit, which she tried again and again to kick. My dad almost died because of his smoking habit. My friend had a brain aneurysm because of smoking. His brain surgeon told me. Maybe not ban smokers from BB, but once in the house have a no cigs policy - see how they cope!

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by merv
This appears to be anti smoking thread and really little to do with BB,but.
If you drive a car then you too are contributing to Cancer,
If you are a none driver living in a city, you smoke the equivelant poisons as having 20 cigs a day(check yourself)
So, where is the call to ban cars, or make the housemates walk to the house on first night.

It is about smoking on BB. I wouldn't mind if you explained how car fumes equate to smoking 20 cigs/day. Surely if that's so it would be impossible to say smoking causes cancer, surely the incidence of lung cancer would be equal among smokers and non-smokers??

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by BigBummer
People can smoke if they want.
If you are worried teach your children not to copy fools off the telly... that should help.

Not only that, some of the best BB moments have been as a result of lack of cigs. What a silly thread.

This is a silly thread?? Have you read the others?

a_2009
09-08-2009, 11:47 PM

I quit over 4 months ago, I still get cravings, but i made a decision to never smoke again. I'm not going to criticise people who do smoke, I think it all comes down to choice. If anything watching people smoke now makes me personally feel quite lucky i'm no longer inhaling all that cr*p in to my lungs smoking 20 a day, and i've finally got over the addiction.

Smoking is banned in the workplace and pubs, but you do still have to run the gauntlet of that stench at the pub door.

So what's the difference between seeing people smoking outside work or the pub, than to seeing people smoke on BB? If you don't want to smoke, that's your choice. But you can't realistically expect everyone else to stop smoking.

guigy
09-08-2009, 11:49 PM

Ban them!

You Tit

This is real life

Are you a Daily Mail Reader

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 11:51 PM

So what's the difference between seeing people smoking outside work or the pub, than to seeing people smoke on BB? If you don't want to smoke, that's your choice. But you can't realistically expect everyone else to stop smoking.

One is peer pressure, what your fellows do. A powerful force nodoubt, but until smoking is banned altogether in public, little can be done about it. What we saw tonight was a 50 minute ad for tobacco, which is illegal. I wonder how long before the ASA wakes up to this?

Nemo123
09-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by guigy

Ban them!

You Tit

This is real life

Are you a Daily Mail Reader

Are there no rules about abusing other forum members on this site? It says more about you than me.

Vicky.
09-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Smoking in dramas is only banned if they film it in a studio...because it is against the law to smoke in a workplace.

The BB house can hardly be classed as a worplace, plus they smoke in open air...

shash
09-08-2009, 11:56 PM
do you realise how many civil liberties we have lost and are losing in this country, it is quite worry, and we should not volunteer to lose more of the choices we have remaining. Sure, smoking is bad, but so is drinking and quite possibly mobile phone use. For me it is about freedom of choice in a democratic and free society. There are too many things about which people are saying "Ban it!" and this is really not a healthy situation - and I do get the irony about using the word 'healthy' in the context of smoking :wink: but adults should be able to make decisions like this for themselves once aware of the dangers.

guigy
10-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by shash
do you realise how many civil liberties we have lost and are losing in this country, it is quite worry, and we should not volunteer to lose more of the choices we have remaining. Sure, smoking is bad, but so is drinking and quite possibly mobile phone use. For me it is about freedom of choice in a democratic and free society. There are too many things about which people are saying "Ban it!" and this is really not a healthy situation - and I do get the irony about using the word 'healthy' in the context of smoking :wink: but adults should be able to make decisions like this for themselves once aware of the dangers.

You are so right

Too many People out there wanting to run others lives for them
:dance2:

Nemo123
10-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by VickyJ
Smoking in dramas is only banned if they film it in a studio...because it is against the law to smoke in a workplace.

The BB house can hardly be classed as a worplace, plus they smoke in open air...

Interesting. Newdramas feature smoking less and less. Is there a smoker left in Corrie? I noticed Nasty Nick smoke outside the Queen Vic, but even Dot scarcely seems to smoke any more. I think it is disappearing by degrees.

RCW1945
10-08-2009, 12:05 AM
You will need to plan further ahead.
All people attending auditions will, of course, claim to be non-smokers.
So you need to prepare punishments when they arrive in the house with their cigarettes. Will you remove them from their cases? Will you frisk them?
Say you get half of the initial HMs who are smokers, will you evict them all? Will they all ask to leave?
It's possible, but you will have to do more pre-planning.

guigy
10-08-2009, 12:05 AM

Interesting. Newdramas feature smoking less and less. Is there a smoker left in Corrie? I noticed Nasty Nick smoke outside the Queen Vic, but even Dot scarcely seems to smoke any more. I think it is disappearing by degrees.
Yes theres at least 3 in Corrie

Vicky.
10-08-2009, 12:06 AM

It is frowned upon for people to smoke on dramas, so i think this is part of the reason...but yea, its classed as illegal if they smoke on set

Maybe they have to get some kind of permit if a character is going to have a tab...:shrug:

Nemo123
10-08-2009, 12:06 AM

Indeed, point taken. But tobacco advertising is already banned, and watching people smoke or argue over smoking for about 50 minutes of a HL show constitutes advertising, and surely it's just a matter of time before the ASA call them up on it.

a_2009
10-08-2009, 12:10 AM

One is peer pressure, what your fellows do. A powerful force nodoubt, but until smoking is banned altogether in public, little can be done about it. What we saw tonight was a 50 minute ad for tobacco, which is illegal. I wonder how long before the ASA wakes up to this?

Peer pressure? I guess it depends on how old a person is and the individual's will power. There comes a point where people have to take responsibility for their choices instead of blaming it on others. There's more non-smokers than there are smokers in this country, if anything smokers have become social outcasts, having to huddle in a small corner as there is nowhere else for them to smoke.

An alternative opinion is that for 50 minutes it showed the housemates interacting and during that time they were coincidently having a smoke when the 'entertaining' events occurred.

Nemo123
10-08-2009, 12:12 AM

It is frowned upon for people to smoke on dramas, so i think this is part of the reason...but yea, its classed as illegal if they smoke on set

I saw Nick smoke in an episode of EE at the door of the Vic. Proof positive that smokers are bad people. But you don't see Dot light up, standing at the door of the Vic is not Dot's thing.

Maybe they have to get some kind of permit if a character is going to have a tab...:shrug:

Annmarie
10-08-2009, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by andynsteve

lets ban asian , gay, lesbian, and people of colour also.....

so silly pmsl

well said. Reality tv means reality

Annmarie
10-08-2009, 12:15 AM
There are way more non smokers in the house than there is smokers. Get a bloody life will you.

shash
10-08-2009, 12:20 AM

Indeed, point taken. But tobacco advertising is already banned, and watching people smoke or argue over smoking for about 50 minutes of a HL show constitutes advertising, and surely it's just a matter of time before the ASA call them up on it.

I think it's interesting the way BB deal with the issue of smoking. I believe they like having smokers in there because there is friction when supplies are low and instant house divides between the smokers and non-smokers. But the way they have insisted that they can only smoke in ashtrays or bus shelters is almost degrading. This in no way glamourises smoking or is a good advert. I have been a smoker and am giving up again after a short-term "blip", and personally have actually found this series helpful because none of the smokers look remotely cool or happy, and scrapping around for dog ends in a wet bus shelter makes me glad I am not smoking. Just my take on it, I can't see too many new recruits to smoking because of this year's BB :wink:

Nemo123
10-08-2009, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Annmarie
There are way more non smokers in the house than there is smokers. Get a bloody life will you.

Bet you've got a delightful Lisa wheese. Just as well I can't hear you or smell you.

ElProximo
10-08-2009, 12:23 AM
I'm glad you aren't in government :wink:

Strongly agree that the idea of this programme is to record real people 'as they are'.
Far worse than smoking is ongoing cheating, superficial obsessions, treating people with disgrace and contempt, women using sexuality for cheap gains, men who bully people with their muscles, backstabbing and especially gossip. Gossip and intrigue.
These things are horrific habits, terrible lessons and when they work to win a prize they are a temptation for any viewers prone to such things.
Cigarettes are the least of the problems here.

Having said that, if you wanted to look at it this way - BB bans them to an outdoor bus shelter or a giant ashtray and especially depressing and unattractive is to see smokers who will leave a warm room of fun and then be seen puffing away in a corner on a dark rainy night.. ..or worse digging around for soggy dog-ends to try and relight.. ..UGH!
IF that doesn't scare anyone away?
Anyone thinking of starting the habit might just watch a clip of Lisa and Karly digging around in wet dirt for soggy bits of tobacco.

Annmarie
10-08-2009, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Annmarie

Bet you've got a delightful Lisa wheese. Just as well I can't hear you or smell you.

For your information I don't smoke and never have