PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother targets Wounded Soldiers for show!

Beastie
25-12-2009, 11:53 PM
LONDON — Producers of "Big Brother" were targeting wounded soldiers to be contestants in the show, sparking outrage from military charity groups, a report said Saturday.

Soldiers who lost limbs in Afghanistan and Iraq were being asked to take part in the final series of the reality television show to be screened next summer, according to the Daily Mail newspaper.

Military groups, some of which have been approached about recruiting injured or homeless soldiers, accused the show's producers and broadcaster of trying to take advantage of veterans.

"How anyone could even attempt to try to take advantage of these people and their suffering is staggering," Commander John Muxworthy, from the UK National Defence Association, told the newspaper.

"It is not just unacceptable but completely unethical," he said.

Annabelle Fuller, a spokeswoman for the Army Benevolent Fund, said some soldiers were vulnerable and having trouble adjusting to civilian life.

"We're a charity, not a selection box for bad TV programmes. The people we help are often vulnerable," she said.

Hugh Milroy, chief executive of the Veterans Fund, was quoted as saying the move was "a new low for reality TV."

Producers Endemol and Channel 4 said they were seeking a "diverse range of people" to audition for the programme.

"Big Brother aims to cast the net far and wide to ensure that a diverse range of people get the opportunity to audition and take part in the programme," they said in a joint statement.

"Many different groups and organisations have been approached as they have strong networks within more isolated communities and can help to spread the word about the dates of open auditions."

Channel 4 announced in August it will axe the show after a decade following the 11th series next year. The programme, which screens hours of footage of contestants in a group house and has been franchised worldwide, has drawn controversy in Britain in the past.

TV personality Jade Goody sparked a racism row after she called Bollywood star and fellow house mate Shilpa Shetty "Shilpa Poppadom" on Britain's "Celebrity Big Brother" in 2007.

source: www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5i0ar7LN1wobrP2-_F9hcQKRwqD-Q

Stacey.
25-12-2009, 11:55 PM
:) Awwwww,it willl be lovely if they send the money to charity :)
It Goes To a good causeee :)

Patrick
25-12-2009, 11:57 PM
Just goes to show that Jade Goody gave our BB A Bad name, they have to include that in everything ffs.

And who does that bitch think she is 'Bad TV Programmes' We dont want the soilders in the house anyway so there :)

Stephanie
26-12-2009, 12:00 AM
why the **** would we want to watch limbless soldiers on tv anyway?

Stacey.
26-12-2009, 12:01 AM
anyone can go into the house! :)
so,why not soldiers, imo that would be fineee ;)
it would be cool;;

Stephanie
26-12-2009, 12:03 AM
yeah, but would we really want say 5 out of 15 or whatever to be soldiers?

Beastie
26-12-2009, 12:13 AM

Be interesting I suppose to get decent people in there who have served our country. I think BB bosses are trying to make the show into something decent rather than make it cheap and tacky like it has for a good few years. However all I am bothered about is the entertainment really. However there are plenty of people they have not put in there before. They should put in a pirate, a farmer or something lol

James
26-12-2009, 12:58 AM
It is a bit patronising for these spokespeople to say that injured soldiers should not even be asked whether they want to go on the show. It seems to be implied that they can't make up their own minds because they have been injured.

It reminds me of the stories that appeared when it was reported a blind person was selected for the show.

why the ******* would we want to watch limbless soldiers on tv anyway?

That's a bit offensive, and can people stop getting round the swear-word filter. It is there for a reason, as this post demonstrates.

muchadoaboutnothing
26-12-2009, 11:08 AM
I don't know why BB needs soldiers to partake in the next (and final) series of the reality show. There are many physically disabled people who, over the years, have applied, but got nowhere. If they do have limbless soldiers on the show then it is not fair to physically disabled people to have applied.

Stu
26-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Be interesting I suppose to get decent people in there who have served our country. I think BB bosses are trying to make the show into something decent rather than make it cheap and tacky like it has for a good few years. However all I am bothered about is the entertainment really. However there are plenty of people they have not put in there before. They should put in a pirate, a farmer or something lol
No it wouldn't. Somebodys job does not automatically make them interesting. And BB want's these people in for the shock value, nothing more. Don't kid yourself. Just like they put Pete in for the tourettes. Just like they put Mikey in for being blind. Yes, these people were characters as well but disability is part of the reason they were in.

AliAbdul
30-12-2009, 08:01 PM

agreed

AliAbdul
30-12-2009, 08:01 PM
no it wouldn't. Somebodys job does not automatically make them interesting. And bb want's these people in for the shock value, nothing more. Don't kid yourself. Just like they put pete in for the tourettes. Just like they put mikey in for being blind. Yes, these people were characters as well but disability is part of the reason they were in.

no means yes you bastard

BB11UK
31-12-2009, 12:14 AM
There was a BB10 YouTube Auditionee who was a "military kid" - son of a soldier.

If they can't put a soldier in the house, they should put someone like him in there that is still connected.

And this guy was kinda camp (I think he was gay, he didn't say), so it kinda goes against the whole "big and brawny" image we see. Plus, he was a hell of a lot more entertaining than half of the BB10 bunch.

Personally, I think it would be more interesting to see say 'a gay military kid with a strong connection to the army, who WANTS to do the show' than 'an injured troop who was ASKED to do the show'.

Plus, c'mon - a gay military kid! How much of a contradiction is that?!