PDA

View Full Version : Channel 4 to lift the lid on Big Brother phenomenon

Mark
19-12-2001, 03:43 PM
Davina McCall is to present a Channel 4 documentary examining the phenomenon of Big Brother.

She will be joined by contestants from the two British versions of the show.

Big Brother - Small World will be broadcast on January 5 at 9.00pm.

The show's creator John De Mol will offer his views on the project and shed some light on it's future.

Germaine Greer and psychologist Peter Collett will also guest on the show.

Clips from Big Brother series around the world will also be shown.

Channel 4 has begun the search for contestants for the third series of Big Brother.

<<STORY FROM ANANOVA>>

peachy
19-12-2001, 04:44 PM
Oh dear, I'm not sure I like the sound of this show. I think it could turn out to be rather disappointing. Germaine Greer is well known for hating reality TV, and I'm not sure that clips from other country's BB's will be too exciting if the BB uncut is anything to go by. I hope I'm wrong but I think this programme could have too much analysis of the phenomena and not enough about what has happened to the contestants, which is what I was hoping for. What are everyone else's opinions?

Kaz
19-12-2001, 04:57 PM
I have to say that I agree with you, peachy. Looks as if the programme will have too much discussion and opinions from 'experts' and not enough input from, and information on, our beloved BB Housemates.

I was expecting a 'Where are they Now' type of programme similar to the one they did on the BB1 contestants last year, but obviously it's not to be, at least not at the moment anyway.

Oh well, if we expect the worst, we can only be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be better than it sounds. :xmas:

Kaz
19-12-2001, 07:02 PM
Here's what Germaine Greer had to say about Big Brother 2 and its fans (i.e. us!!), back in June:

Watching Big Brother II is about as dignified as looking through the keyhole in your teenage child's bedroom door. To do it occasionally would be shameful; to get hooked on it is downright depraved. People who like watching torture will tune in regularly to see a table dancer, an air steward, a hairdresser, a medical rep and a website designer (inter alia) struggling with the contradictions inherent in having simultaneously to bond with and to betray perfect strangers. :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

I can't see her making any constructive contributions to the programme on 5 January, can you.

What a nasty, rude woman. http://www.plauder-smilies.com/madgo.gif

This is the link to the whole of her article - it's not pleasant reading if you're a BB Fan.
http://media.guardian.co.uk/bigbrother/story/0,7521,512412,00.html

WILDCHILD2K1
19-12-2001, 07:26 PM
It does sound a bit disappointing but lets all expect something really bad, (like Kaz said) and we will be surprised!
It also must be pretty good if Davina is presenting it, she wont make it boring!:xmas2:

LEE
19-12-2001, 09:41 PM
Hopefully you're right Wildchild. I'm sure Davina wouldn't be involved in anything that didn't do the show justice. :grin: Let's hope so anyway.

peachy
20-12-2001, 05:10 PM
I too live in hope that the programme will be better than it seems, it's just that when they mention Germaine Greer my heart sinks. I've met her at conferences and things and she really is as unpleasant as she sounds in the quote given previously.

Feefs
22-12-2001, 04:50 PM
If it's being made by Endemol, it's hardly going to be too scatahing. I wonder if it will have some of the similar arguements Mr Mol presented at that TV lecture a couple of months back. In that he featured the superior comments of Germaine Greer, then showed clips of her looking stupid and managed to make her whole argument look quite hollow.

Perhaps she's coming back for a fight, or perhaps she'll give more considered comment this time. Someone might have told her that intelligent people watched the show too! It's also won loads of best tv program awards in the meantime.

I'm sure Davina won't let us down. She'll make sure her children are treaated with respect.

I hope the show is good, because rereading the description, some of the ideas are not that different from some of the ones I mentioned in an email to C4. I was trying to encourage them to do a traditional update show, and hopefully extend it to cover how the media got overexcited by 'stuff'. I put in a few ideas that I thought the lofty intellectuals as C4 might go for and explained that I thought that sort of thing could appeal to a more diverse audience than BB itself. I didn't expect them to take it seriously. It was just meant to be a cunning plan to get a Helen and Paul (an update): why Sun
journalists are horrible show. It was always supposed to be AS WELL as the boring old update one. Perhaps not enough people watched that last year.

Mark
05-01-2002, 04:51 PM
Just thought I would remind you all that it is tonight!!!!

Its a pain as it clashes with the Pop Idol result, but BB takes priority!

I am sure it will be a huge success and I hope it focuses more on Big Brother Uk than it does around the world!

Mark:joker:

chilledbootz
05-01-2002, 11:00 PM
Where are you all?? Did you see it. Oh My God, how gorgeous did Pauly look????:colour::dance::bouncy::hugesmile::wavey:. I bet they cut loads of the P&H bits out!!
Anyway back to the programme! I think we're qute lucky that our BB's have been so normal really. Some of the other BB contestants looked like mentalists.
:conf:

lolando
03-08-2008, 11:45 PM
put the lid back on plz

andyman
03-08-2008, 11:48 PM
lol dec 2001 :spin2: cool.

SamR
03-08-2008, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by lolando
put the lid back on please
No!

Rory
04-08-2008, 12:03 AM
What's with all of these old threads being bumped? Seriously.

Magic
09-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Kaz
Here's what Germaine Greer had to say about Big Brother 2 and its fans (i.e. us!!), back in June:

Watching Big Brother II is about as dignified as looking through the keyhole in your teenage child's bedroom door. To do it occasionally would be shameful; to get hooked on it is downright depraved. People who like watching torture will tune in regularly to see a table dancer, an air steward, a hairdresser, a medical rep and a website designer (inter alia) struggling with the contradictions inherent in having simultaneously to bond with and to betray perfect strangers. :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

I can't see her making any constructive contributions to the programme on 5 January, can you.

What a nasty, rude woman. http://www.plauder-smilies.com/madgo.gif

This is the link to the whole of her article - it's not pleasant reading if you're a BB Fan.
http://media.guardian.co.uk/bigbrother/story/0,7521,512412,00.html

How two faced! Did she not become a contestant! :hugesmile: