PDA

View Full Version : Bowel Cancer.

*mazedsalv**
26-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Ever since my friends mum has been diagnosed with this, I have started to feel very paranoid. From a very young age i always had stuff like constipation (sorry if you dont want to hear about it lol), like from the age of 6, and from time to time it happens severly.
Ive looked up symptoms of bowel cancer and i from time to time get about 3 of them.

Even though sites make it clear that it is very rare for people under the age of 30 to get it, especially a teenager, i still get really paranoid.

Will i look like a complete idiot to ask the doctors about this... last time i went was about 2 years ago for a blood test, havnt been since :/

Smithy
26-03-2010, 08:23 PM
No you wont, its always better to be safe than sorry

WOMBAI
26-03-2010, 08:25 PM
You could have IBS - Irritiable Bowel Syndrome - which is quite common, not related to cancer and the symptoms can be very similar. Stop worrying - you are far too young!

Twilight
26-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Go to the docs just to be safe, but it likely that its just Irritiable Bowel Syndrome.

*mazedsalv**
26-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Go to the docs just to be safe, but it likely that its just Irritiable Bowel Syndrome.

Yeah I looked that up and i think its is defenitley that. Also my mum has that too so its understandable i have it.

setanta
26-03-2010, 09:03 PM
You could have IBS - Irritiable Bowel Syndrome - which is quite common, not related to cancer and the symptoms can be very similar. Stop worrying - you are far too young!

Yep, that's the one.

pinkmichk
26-03-2010, 09:12 PM
before i saw other posts my first thought was ibs still go to docs cos then they can put you on the right path to reduce the attacks of it

Loukas
26-03-2010, 09:21 PM
I always get scared like that. When my teacher was diagnosed to have a brain tumor, every time i had a headache i was scared to have one too.
Same thing when a guy at my school had chest pains and suddenly died in his sleep, every time my chest hurts im scared the same thing is going to happen to me.

I think it's all to do with your subconscious. I think it's nothing and like you said it's very rare in teens. If you are still worried i would go see a doctor.

Hope i helped Salv :)

ILoveTRW
26-03-2010, 09:21 PM
do you **** blood?

setanta
26-03-2010, 10:31 PM
do you **** blood?

Lol, that's fairly personal and could mean a number of things, not just an internal problem. Might be constipated if that's happening to you.

Shasown
26-03-2010, 10:55 PM
If you are passing blood anally, it could be due to a number of relatively harmless problems, if its fresh blood it could be an anal fissure(a tear in the ringpiece) or haemorrhoids (piles). If blood is being passed into the digestive system further up the colon it interracts with digestive juices and comes out like coffee grounds. Either way its best to get any bleeding in that area investigated fully.

Next time you do go to the doctor have a chat about IBS and also enquire if the symptoms you are suffering from, could be psychosomatic in origin, basically is the worry about becoming ill, or over worrying over harmless symptoms manifesting or increasing these symptoms. Sometimes panic and worry can cause the mind to create problems.

setanta
26-03-2010, 11:03 PM
If you are passing blood anally, it could be due to a number of relatively harmless problems, if its fresh blood it could be an anal fissure(a tear in the ringpiece) or haemorrhoids (piles). If blood is being passed into the digestive system further up the colon it interracts with digestive juices and comes out like coffee grounds. Either way its best to get any bleeding in that area investigated fully.

Next time you do go to the doctor have a chat about IBS and also enquire if the symptoms you are suffering from, could be psychosomatic in origin, basically is the worry about becoming ill, or over worrying over harmless symptoms manifesting or increasing these symptoms. Sometimes panic and worry can cause the mind to create problems.

I didn't know the technical terms so thanks for helping me there! How's the single malt going down?!

Shasown
26-03-2010, 11:16 PM
I didn't know the technical terms so thanks for helping me there! How's the single malt going down?!

Red wine just now but just had phone call my presence is required down the local back shortly

setanta
26-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Red wine just now but just had phone call my presence is required down the local back shortly

The local what? Did you know that red wine has more calories than Guinness? That's mental.

Stacey.
26-03-2010, 11:19 PM
My cousin has IBS... best to go to the doctors to check it out properly. :)

Princess
26-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Shasown basically summed it up. I would have said IBS as well,bowel cancer is extremely rare in young people.

Shasown
27-03-2010, 12:39 AM
The local what? Did you know that red wine has more calories than Guinness? That's mental.

I know. Am bad. mind you I did have a spicey with diet coke, so hey thats that sorted.

Shasown basically summed it up. I would have said IBS as well,bowel cancer is extremely rare in young people.

Thanks princess, as I say if in doubt get it checked out.

Just be careful if they give you a rectal examination. If the doctor says drop them bend over and he will insert a camera be warned: make sure he doesnt have a hand on each of your shoulders when he is pushing the "camera" in, like what happened to me.

ButterflyGirl
27-03-2010, 12:42 AM
The worst thing to do is look up symptoms on the net as it will worry you even more