PDA

View Full Version : Janet Street Porter claims Facebook as a Toxic Addiction

arista
29-03-2010, 11:41 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1261037/Janet-Street-Porter-I-believe-Facebook-toxic-addiction.html

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/03/26/article-1261037-02A73FAF000004B0-418_233x351.jpg

She has this all wrong
Every system has a Dark Side.

Facebook can be edited for your Family only.
It is not a Problem.

Niamh.
29-03-2010, 11:45 AM
I don't know, I mean paedophiles don't become paedophiles because of facebook, bullies don't become bullies because of facebook, these people would have still done what they did if facebook did not exist, just used another way of getting their victims.

arista
29-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Good Points.

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 12:15 PM
I don't know, I mean paedophiles don't become paedophiles because of facebook, bullies don't become bullies because of facebook, these people would have still done what they did if facebook did not exist, just used another way of getting their victims.

access

that is why most are found in families

Shaun
29-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Christ. Every week there's something new that's supposed to be a terrifyingly daunting addiction to children - last week it was that fertiliser-drug ****, now this. How about you stop highlighting a few special cases, look at the bigger picture, and stop with the scaremongering BS. :) [Daily Mail, not arista LOL]

Shasown
29-03-2010, 12:43 PM
I think it would be better if all sex offender's addresses were held on a database somewhere and all the applications to internet service providers have to be checked against that database to see if they are providing an internet connection to a sex offender, if they are informed that a particular person is a sex offender they should then monitor all internet access of the offender and submit reports to a relevant police office.

Niamh.
29-03-2010, 01:08 PM
access

that is why most are found in families

Do you think that if no kids were ever on the internet that these paedophile would say "Oh, I won't bother molesting anymore children now"

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Do you think that if no kids were ever on the internet that these paedophile would say "Oh, I won't bother molesting anymore children now"

you miss the point. It is about access. if you provide access to children that is unsupervised then it is there that you will find paedophiles - regardless of the format, name, method, place, country.

Niamh.
29-03-2010, 01:26 PM
you miss the point. It is about access. if you provide access to children that is unsupervised then it is there that you will find paedophiles - regardless of the format, name, method, place, country.

Paedophiles find access no matter what. Getting rid of facebook will not get rid of paedophiles, it would make more sense to make sure your children(I don't mean very young children btw cos I don't think they should be unsupervised on the internet anyway) are taught about the dangers on facebook and every where else of paedophiles.

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Paedophiles find access no matter what. Getting rid of facebook will not get rid of paedophiles, it would make more sense to make sure your children(I don't mean very young children btw cos I don't think they should be unsupervised on the internet anyway) are taught about the dangers on facebook and every where else of paedophiles.

I dont think the onus should be on parents as in this instance we are talking about technology that teens, for example, will be and will be in the future, much more offay with as it is aimed at them. It would be hard to keep putting parents under the spotlight to monitor a technology that is not aimed at them or used as much by them.

Niamh.
29-03-2010, 01:34 PM
I dont think the onus should be on parents as in this instance we are talking about technology that teens, for example, will be and will be in the future, much more offay with as it is aimed at them. It would be hard to keep putting parents under the spotlight to monitor a technology that is not aimed at them or used as much by them.

I am a parent and I use it but ok alot of parents don't however the rules on safe gaurding yourself from paedophiles are the same whether it's on a computer or not