PDA

View Full Version : Who will go to Church this Easter?

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Maybe you could go to church this Easter and see what you think?:spin:

Shaun
29-03-2010, 01:29 PM
no I'm going to the local synagogue.

Niamh.
29-03-2010, 01:29 PM
The Easter Bunny?

LemonJam
29-03-2010, 01:31 PM
I am

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 01:33 PM
The Easter Bunny?

what is the easter bunny?

Vicky.
29-03-2010, 01:33 PM
If they will give out free easter eggs, I may consider it.

Niamh.
29-03-2010, 01:35 PM
what is the easter bunny?

The Easter bunny died on the cross to save us from turning into bad eggs (that's where they got the eating eggs at Easter bit from)

Smithy
29-03-2010, 01:41 PM
The Easter bunny died on the cross to save us from turning into bad eggs (that's where they got the eating eggs at Easter bit from)

:laugh2:

Your such a dufus Niamh, everyone knows the Easter bunny was born sometime in march/april but no-one knows exactly when. So the men in the church throw darts at the calender and the one the dart hits is the day.
And we eat eggs because he was born by a chicken in an egg, underneath the Christmas tree

Niamh.
29-03-2010, 01:43 PM

Your such a dufus Niamh, everyone knows the Easter bunny was born sometime in march/april but no-one knows exactly when. So the men in the church throw darts at the calender and the one the dart hits is the day.
And we eat eggs because he was born by a chicken in an egg, underneath the Christmas tree

no, no, you are mistaken young Smithacat, he was definitely crucified or was that a dream I had..............:conf:

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 01:43 PM

I would advise you to get down on your knees for that comment but I know that the joints there are most likely very worn..

Smithy
29-03-2010, 01:45 PM
no, no, you are mistaken young Smithacat, he was definitely crucified or was that a dream I had..............:conf:

He wasnt crucified you silly, he only died around 20 years ago. He tried to blow up the houses of parliament, but got caught, so everyone killed him by throwing him on the bonfire.
Thats why we dont have melted chocolate either, because its like taking the mick out of the poor bunn :P

Niamh.
29-03-2010, 01:46 PM
I would advise you to get down on your knees for that comment but I know that the joints there are most likely very worn..

What would you be implying LT???? hhhmmmmm?????:nono:

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 01:48 PM
What would you be implying LT???? hhhmmmmm?????:nono:

do you mean infer?

Niamh.
29-03-2010, 01:48 PM
He wasnt crucified you silly, he only died around 20 years ago. He tried to blow up the houses of parliament, but got caught, so everyone killed him by throwing him on the bonfire.
Thats why we dont have melted chocolate either, because its like taking the mick out of the poor bunn :P

yes, that would be blasphemus, I tolerate no mick taking of the all knowing, all powerful Bunny

arista
29-03-2010, 01:50 PM
All Church Grounds
should be closed down.

That is the way forward.

Niamh.
29-03-2010, 01:51 PM
do you mean infer?

are you really correcting me on this? really? you are perfectly aware of what I meant.

eye sea
29-03-2010, 01:52 PM
I might make a point of passing church, and tipping my hat, as a mark of respect. ;)

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 01:56 PM
All Church Grounds
should be closed down.

That is the way forward.

forward to where?

WOMBAI
29-03-2010, 02:02 PM
forward to where?

It isn't whether or not someone goes to church that defines their integrity!

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 02:12 PM
It isn't whether or not someone goes to church that defines their integrity!

are you debating this with yourself?:conf:

WOMBAI
29-03-2010, 02:17 PM
are you debating this with yourself?:conf:

It does come across - that you are implying some sort of 'goodness/decency' in people that go to church, that's all!

Niamh.
29-03-2010, 02:19 PM
It does come across - that you are implying some sort of 'goodness/decency' in people that go to church, that's all!

no, no he only infers!:joker:

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 02:20 PM
it does come across - that you are implying some sort of 'goodness/decency' in people that go to church, that's all!

p a r a n o i d

WOMBAI
29-03-2010, 02:24 PM
p a r a n o i d

M a y b e - M a y b e N o t !:hugesmile:

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 02:27 PM
M a y b e - M a y b e N o t !:hugesmile:

it is not just me who thinks it neither..

arista
29-03-2010, 02:34 PM
forward to where?

A better Life without
Fake Gods.

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 02:51 PM
A better Life without
Fake Gods.

Is your life not good now?:bawling:

WOMBAI
29-03-2010, 02:51 PM
it is not just me who thinks it neither..

Oh yeah - eloborate on that one please! :hugesmile:

Niamh.
29-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Oh yeah - eloborate on that one please! :hugesmile:

He's only trying to make you paranoid now I'd say!

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 02:53 PM

me and all the others

Patrick
29-03-2010, 02:56 PM
LMAO

Who still goes to church?

Niamh.
29-03-2010, 02:56 PM
LMAO

The Easter Bunny.

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 03:01 PM
LMAO

millions upon millions of people all over the world. it sounds like you should too (that and study a bit harder at school)

WOMBAI
29-03-2010, 03:05 PM

:thumbs: He is a devious little bu**er!

Patrick
29-03-2010, 03:09 PM
millions upon millions of people all over the world. it sounds like you should too (that and study a bit harder at school)

1. Its obvious hardly anyone goes to church anymore, which is why you made a thread asking people.

2. Who the **** do you think you are to tell me what to do?
You dont even ****ing know me you turd, I dont belive in god as people who do are going to die and realise they wasted their lifes praising some made up character.

3. I do very well in school, better than most people in my year so dont attempt to tell me to study harder, again you dont know me at all.

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 03:14 PM
1. Its obvious hardly anyone goes to church anymore, which is why you made a thread asking people.

You dont even ****ing know me you turd, I dont belive in god as people who do are going to die and realise they wasted their lifes praising some made up character.

3. I do very well in school, better than most people in my year so dont attempt to tell me to study harder, again you dont know me at all.

and a quick refresher course in manners would not go amiss either. :nono:

Niamh.
29-03-2010, 03:14 PM

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 03:16 PM

ironically to do what he suggests would in fact positively support life after death

so its a lol i am afraid

Patrick
29-03-2010, 03:20 PM
and a quick refresher course in manners would not go amiss either. :nono:

You should just learn to mind your own, and stop trying to act like you know everything.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/rude/1/angry.gif

Patrick
29-03-2010, 03:22 PM
ironically to do what he suggests would in fact positively support life after death

so its a lol i am afraid

What you dont think I dont belive in Life after death?

Of course there is, I have every reason to belive in that.

Weither Heaven is true or not, thats another question.
I know Spirits are real, I know when you die theres an afterlife, Im very happy to be certain of that, which also brings me to the fact that theres no god.

Theres no proof what so ever there is a god.

When I die and if there is a god then I'll be like...

'Yah mate sorry for not beliving in you and that but whatever'

If there isnt a god then who cares?
At least theres an afterlife and a after party.

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 03:24 PM
You should just learn to mind your own, and stop trying to act like you know everything.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/rude/1/angry.gif

There must be a church near to you that you could at least visit. Going there regularly may improve your obnoxious tendencies and make you more appealing?

Wildcat!
29-03-2010, 03:28 PM

I know Spirits are real, I know when you die theres an afterlife, Im very happy to be certain of that, which also brings me to the fact that theres no god.

:joker::joker: :laugh:

This is the funniest post ever!!!!!!!!!!!

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 03:31 PM

well when you put it so convincingly, it is hard to see where one could disagree..

Patrick
29-03-2010, 03:34 PM
There must be a church near to you that you could at least visit. Going there regularly may improve your obnoxious tendencies and make you more appealing?

Theres a church not too far from me, down the street tbh.

I go a few times with my nan to keep her company but its ****.

Niamh.
29-03-2010, 03:35 PM

Nobody knows if there is a God or not but I know that all those mind numbingly boring prayers that they say over and over in Mass are man made so why should I believe that God (If he exists) wants me to say them? and I also have a big problem with the whole worshipping business, I worship no one, man or God!

Patrick
29-03-2010, 03:37 PM
:joker::joker: :laugh:

This is the funniest post ever!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it? LOL

I was being serious..

Niamh.
29-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Is it? LOL

I was being serious..

It was funny, but true, If there is a God, is he really that vain and unreasonable that he'd send you to hell for not believing in him? I think not.

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Theres a church not too far from me, down the street tbh.

I go a few times with my nan to keep her company but its ****.

good?

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 03:40 PM
It was funny, but true, If there is a God, is he really that vain and unreasonable that he'd send you to hell for not believing in him? I think not.

Now you are saying that you know better than God?

heaven help us..

Firewire
29-03-2010, 03:41 PM
No. Of course not.

Niamh.
29-03-2010, 03:42 PM

heaven help us..

Where exactly did I say I knew better than God?:conf:

WOMBAI
29-03-2010, 04:04 PM

heaven help us..

If someone doesn't believe in God - then, of course, they would believe that they and everyone else, knew better than someone that didn't even exist! Stands to reason! :hugesmile:

Wildcat!
29-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Is it? LOL

I was being serious..

yEAh I figured. I dont mean your beliefs, just the wording is hilarious! :)

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 04:06 PM
If someone doesn't believe in God - then, of course, they would believe that they and everyone else, knew better than someone that didn't even exist! Stands to reason! :hugesmile:

as would my reaction!

Niamh.
29-03-2010, 04:13 PM
as would my reaction!

Sorry but you still haven't answered my question, Can you tell me where I said I knew better than God please?

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Sorry but you still haven't answered my question, Can you tell me where I said I knew better than God please?

"It was funny, but true, If there is a God, is he really that vain and unreasonable that he'd send you to hell for not believing in him? I think not."

^^^^

Niamh.
29-03-2010, 04:19 PM
"It was funny, but true, If there is a God, is he really that vain and unreasonable that he'd send you to hell for not believing in him? I think not."

^^^^

I was asking a question and I said nothing about knowing better than God, I said I thought that mans idea of God sending people to hell for not believing in him was not true :conf:

bronaaaa
29-03-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm going to France, so I'll go if mother goes hunting for a church

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 04:24 PM
I was asking a question and I said nothing about knowing better than God, I said I thought that mans idea of God sending people to hell for not believing in him was not true :conf:

now i am confused. Anyways. God does not send anyone to "hell" for not believing - but non-believers will spend an eternity away from God's everlasting love.

Thems the apples.

Niamh.
29-03-2010, 04:26 PM
now i am confused. Anyways. God does not send anyone to "hell" for not believing - but non-believers will spend an eternity away from God's everlasting love.

Thems the apples.

Away from his everlasting love eh? Who told you that? The Bible? Remind who wrote the bible again.............oh yeah, men did. If that's true he sounds like a complete evil *****, are you sure you're not talking about the Devil?

Wildcat!
29-03-2010, 04:31 PM

Thems the apples.

What about the pre destination stuff? Its one thing that I always struggle to understand in my faith! I mean we are supposed to be made a certain way. Non believers are made that way, and there is nothing they can do about it! RIght? At least thats how I understand it. So whats up with that?

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Away from his everlasting love eh? Who told you that? The Bible? Remind who wrote the bible again.............oh yeah, men did. If that's true he sounds like a complete evil *****, are you sure you're not talking about the Devil?

Life and death is not an episode from the Waltons.

Beastie
29-03-2010, 04:34 PM
I might go..

Jessica.
29-03-2010, 04:35 PM
I went last Easter and the year before that so I may.

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 04:39 PM
What about the pre destination stuff? Its one thing that I always struggle to understand in my faith! I mean we are supposed to be made a certain way. Non believers are made that way, and there is nothing they can do about it! RIght? At least thats how I understand it. So whats up with that?

http://www.carm.org/predestination-and-election

*mazedsalv**
29-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Im going to have to, Im supposed to be Roman Catholic and none of my family have been since September (a wedding), we didnt even go to the Italian mass on Christmas. And the priest is always like "Nice for you to turn up"

I really should start going more often

Wildcat!
29-03-2010, 04:44 PM
http://www.carm.org/predestination-and-election

I dont want to read some article. Is it not the case, that we are predestined to act as we do, and believe what we believe, because of the way we were made by god right?

Beastie
29-03-2010, 04:45 PM
I will have to check out when the services are on! Usually it is Easter Sunday at 9am but I am having a party on the Saturday night! I hope there are other services at different times.. lol

LeatherTrumpet
29-03-2010, 04:50 PM
I dont want to read some article. Is it not the case, that we are predestined to act as we do, and believe what we believe, because of the way we were made by god right?

In the Reformed (Calvinist) camp, predestination includes individuals. In other words, the Reformed doctrine of predestination is that God predestines whom He wants to be saved and that without this predestination, none would be saved. The non-Reformed camp states that God predestines people to salvation, but that these people freely choose to follow God on their own. In other words, in the non-Reformed perspective, God is reacting to the will of individuals and predestining them only because they choose God where by contrast the Reformed position states that people choose God only because He has first predestined them.

Stacey.
29-03-2010, 04:51 PM
yeah.
because Im on work experience, and the primary school do a little service thing... so i'll be there :D

WOMBAI
29-03-2010, 05:00 PM
In the Reformed (Calvinist) camp, predestination includes individuals. In other words, the Reformed doctrine of predestination is that God predestines whom He wants to be saved and that without this predestination, none would be saved. The non-Reformed camp states that God predestines people to salvation, but that these people freely choose to follow God on their own. In other words, in the non-Reformed perspective, God is reacting to the will of individuals and predestining them only because they choose God where by contrast the Reformed position states that people choose God only because He has first predestined them.

Come again! What a load of waffle! :hugesmile:

Wildcat!
29-03-2010, 05:02 PM

MAn! OK. Well thats the one thing that I could never quite grasp. In Islam I think its the first one that they accept. So basically you choose god because he predestined you to do so.

WOMBAI
29-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Doesn't that also mean that he predestined you not to do so - how can one apply without the other - so how can he then punish those that don't choose God, by excluding them from his everlasting love - if it is not their fault! And anyway - do parents stop loving their kids when they don't follow the path that they would choose for them? None of it makes any logical sense!

Wildcat!
29-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Doesn't that also mean that he predestined you not to do so - how can one apply without the other - so how can he then punish those that don't choose God, by excluding them from his everlasting love - if it is not their fault! And anyway - do parents stop loving their kids when they don't follow the path that they would choose for them? None of it makes any logical sense!

But thats how the religion is though! If youre christian, you are supposed to believe in that. Go read about predestination, and you will see, thats the case.
Thats why there are certain things in my religion I cant quite understand, and I can only assume that maybe our interpretation is not accurate.

LewisMarvel
29-03-2010, 05:20 PM
I don't want to go because i don't believe in god and jesus being god's son but my mum is dragging me to go

WOMBAI
29-03-2010, 05:20 PM
But thats how the religion is though! If youre christian, you are supposed to believe in that. Go read about predestination, and you will see, thats the case.
Thats why there are certain things in my religion I cant quite understand, and I can only assume that maybe our interpretation is not accurate.

Probably one reason why I am not particularly religious - too many missing pieces!

Shasown
29-03-2010, 06:25 PM
So then what about people who lived and died before christianity was introduced to the area they live, they have been predestined to an eternity away from gods love?

What about people who adhere to a different faith, for example followers of Islam, the Jewish Faith, are they in fact worshipping false idols and as such again lining up an eternity away from god? Or do you consider they worship god just in a different way? What about Seikhs, Hindus, Buddhists etc?

If for example you think that following Christ is the only way to "salvation" who do you blame for muslims not converting to christianity? The Muslims themselves or the Christians who failed to convert them by either not being good missionaries or even not being good enough christians to set an example others would follow? In which case who would God save, the bad christians who failed to convince the muslims to convert or the muslims themselves?

Or if its a case of so long as you follow a god and adhere to some form of belief will you be saved and sit in God's presence? Does that mean that those of another religion or even those that dont follow a true established religion will also be saved?

Niamh.
29-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Life and death is not an episode from the Waltons.

Excuse me? I don't quite follow you

Niamh.
29-03-2010, 06:35 PM

yeah, that's right and also If you're a really good person who doesn't believe in God, how can a God who is supposed to be loving and giving punish you for not believing in him, I mean he created our minds, we cannot send a person to jail without solid proof that they commited the crime, so how can he expect us to believe in him without any proof? We have the bible where some men told us there was a God but this is second hand information, why should I believe these men I don't even know them? If God is so eager for people to believe in him why doesn't he tell people that he exists?

keithafc
29-03-2010, 10:49 PM
There is more chance of a spirit realm than there being a god. I think religion is the biggest made up nonsense to control the masses.

I agree with Patrick. I'd go down the spiritual route than the organised religion route. Not as in being apart of a spirtual group or anything but study the paranormal and you might get some interesting results.

WOMBAI
29-03-2010, 11:04 PM
yeah, that's right and also If you're a really good person who doesn't believe in God, how can a God who is supposed to be loving and giving punish you for not believing in him, I mean he created our minds, we cannot send a person to jail without solid proof that they commited the crime, so how can he expect us to believe in him without any proof? We have the bible where some men told us there was a God but this is second hand information, why should I believe these men I don't even know them? If God is so eager for people to believe in him why doesn't he tell people that he exists?

This is when they throw in the word FAITH! Apparently we are just supposed to have faith in his existence - that is what we are being tested on! Since when does not having enough faith in something/someone constitute a crime and make us not worthy to be saved! Extremely harsh - rather makes a mockery of the idea of Christianity as far as I am concerned. Illogical rubbish!

keithafc
29-03-2010, 11:43 PM
The pope doesn't help himself either with his whole reject of condoms and not saying enough on the paedophile issue.

LeatherTrumpet
30-03-2010, 08:26 AM
There is more chance of a spirit realm than there being a god. I think religion is the biggest made up nonsense to control the masses.

I agree with Patrick. I'd go down the spiritual route than the organised religion route. Not as in being apart of a spirtual group or anything but study the paranormal and you might get some interesting results.

I love the "to control the masses line"

You hear it a lot from people who have never taken the time to study religion.

Can you explain what you mean. Who is controlling, what masses and what bits of say the Christian religion do you refer too?

Shasown
30-03-2010, 10:16 AM
I love the "to control the masses line"

You hear it a lot from people who have never taken the time to study religion.

Can you explain what you mean. Who is controlling, what masses and what bits of say the Christian religion do you refer too?

Ah Good to see LT SOP(Leather Trumpet Standard Operating Procedure) No 3 - when comments or questions are asked of you in a thread you find difficult or havent got a clue how to answer, ignore it. Followed by SOP No 4 try to take the thread off in a new direction on a subject by introduciong a comment plucked out of the air you are prepared to argue on.

Who was on about religion controlling the masses?

Nice tactics mate but come on answer the questions asked of you, at least have an attempt at answering some of the comments, criticisms and questions in posts 70 - 82

LeatherTrumpet
30-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Who was on about religion controlling the masses?

"There is more chance of a spirit realm than there being a god. I think religion is the biggest made up nonsense to control the masses." Post#80

Shasown
30-03-2010, 10:35 AM
"There is more chance of a spirit realm than there being a god. I think religion is the biggest made up nonsense to control the masses." Post#80

What about the comments in the previous 10 posts, no comment or answer?

LeatherTrumpet
30-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Ah Good to see LT SOP(Leather Trumpet Standard Operating Procedure) No 3 - when comments or questions are asked of you in a thread you find difficult or havent got a clue how to answer, ignore it.

which question?

if you mean your post:

"So then what about people who lived and died before christianity was introduced to the area they live, they have been predestined to an eternity away from gods love?What about people who adhere to a different faith, for example followers of Islam, the Jewish Faith, are they in fact worshipping false idols and as such again lining up an eternity away from god? Or do you consider they worship god just in a different way? What about Seikhs, Hindus, Buddhists etc?If for example you think that following Christ is the only way to "salvation" who do you blame for muslims not converting to christianity? The Muslims themselves or the Christians who failed to convert them by either not being good missionaries or even not being good enough christians to set an example others would follow? In which case who would God save, the bad christians who failed to convince the muslims to convert or the muslims themselves?Or if its a case of so long as you follow a god and adhere to some form of belief will you be saved and sit in God's presence? Does that mean that those of another religion or even those that dont follow a true established religion will also be saved? "

You did not address that screed to anyone you just spent 30 minutes googling things and then posted it, off topic completely, in the thread?

Wildcat asked about predestination and I put him in touch with that section on the carm website. If you have questions about that content then go to the website and read some more as they cover it really well.

Shasown
30-03-2010, 10:42 AM
which question?

if you mean your post:

"So then what about people who lived and died before christianity was introduced to the area they live, they have been predestined to an eternity away from gods love?What about people who adhere to a different faith, for example followers of Islam, the Jewish Faith, are they in fact worshipping false idols and as such again lining up an eternity away from god? Or do you consider they worship god just in a different way? What about Seikhs, Hindus, Buddhists etc?If for example you think that following Christ is the only way to "salvation" who do you blame for muslims not converting to christianity? The Muslims themselves or the Christians who failed to convert them by either not being good missionaries or even not being good enough christians to set an example others would follow? In which case who would God save, the bad christians who failed to convince the muslims to convert or the muslims themselves?Or if its a case of so long as you follow a god and adhere to some form of belief will you be saved and sit in God's presence? Does that mean that those of another religion or even those that dont follow a true established religion will also be saved? "

You did not address that screed to anyone you just spent 30 minutes googling things and then posted it, off topic completely, in the thread?

Wildcat asked about predestination and I put him in touch with that section on the carm website. If you have questions about that content then go to the website and read some more as they cover it really well.

Oh i see so your own personal beliefs are exactly as everything posted on that site? Thats good thanks for that. As for it being off topic, wasnt the post following the current line of the thread? Actually I ws looking forward to another patronising comment from you in response to Niamhxo.

And no I didnt google anything for that post. But go on then try and prove me wrong, you will notice the word I used is try beause that preconditions the situation with failure, because the post came directly from me not any other website. You see unlike you i dont need to refer to a website to back up my beliefs.

LeatherTrumpet
30-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Oh i see so your own personal beliefs are exactly as everything posted on that site? Thats good thanks for that. As for it being off topic, wasnt the post following the current line of the thread? Actually I ws looking forward to another patronising comment from you in response to Niamhxo.

And no I didnt google anything for that post. But go on then try and prove me wrong, you will notice the word I used is try beause that preconditions the situation with failure, because the post came directly from me not any other website. You see unlike you i dont need to refer to a website to back up my beliefs.

a simple sorry would have been more gracious rather than that diatribe of self-justification.

Shasown
30-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Thats okay LT I accept your apology

Niamh.
30-03-2010, 03:07 PM
This is when they throw in the word FAITH! Apparently we are just supposed to have faith in his existence - that is what we are being tested on! Since when does not having enough faith in something/someone constitute a crime and make us not worthy to be saved! Extremely harsh - rather makes a mockery of the idea of Christianity as far as I am concerned. Illogical rubbish!

yes, you see have having "Faith" is all well and good but it's actually the men who wrote the bible you're putting your faith in not God because they're the ones you have to believe are telling the truth about God

LeatherTrumpet
30-03-2010, 03:18 PM
yes, you see have having "Faith" is all well and good but it's actually the men who wrote the bible you're putting your faith in not God because they're the ones you have to believe are telling the truth about God

if you are referring to the Gospels then there is no doubt in the minds of any serious historian that what is written is what happened. What you have to decide is, ok they saw this but what does it mean. There is little faith in over 5000 documents some going as far back as 120AD. There is a lot more faith involved in a whole myriad of early historical (non-religious) figures.

Niamh.
30-03-2010, 03:22 PM
if you are referring to the Gospels then there is no doubt in the minds of any serious historian that what is written is what happened. What you have to decide is, ok they saw this but what does it mean. There is little faith in over 5000 documents some going as far back as 120AD. There is a lot more faith involved in a whole myriad of early historical (non-religious) figures.

No, you're not listening to what I'm saying though, I understand that these people existed but what I'm saying is why should I believe what these men are saying to me? It's the same as asking me to believe L Ron Hubbard imo.

LeatherTrumpet
30-03-2010, 03:27 PM
No, you're not listening to what I'm saying though, I understand that these people existed but what I'm saying is why should I believe what these men are saying to me? It's the same as asking me to believe L Ron Hubbard imo.

it is simply all about Jesus, who he was and what he said. I think many people struggle with the whole God idea and i get that but Jesus was and is God so a study of what he is should answer many questions.

Niamh.
30-03-2010, 03:31 PM
it is simply all about Jesus, who he was and what he said. I think many people struggle with the whole God idea and i get that but Jesus was and is God so a study of what he is should answer many questions.

Yes I believe there was a man called Jesus and another bunch of men believed he was the son of God/God but this doesn't prove to me that he was actually who/what they said he was

LeatherTrumpet
30-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Yes I believe there was a man called Jesus and another bunch of men believed he was the son of God/God but this doesn't prove to me that he was actually who/what they said he was

What would prove this to you?

Niamh.
30-03-2010, 03:35 PM
What would prove this to you?

God appearing to me and telling me himself, of course if this happened to me I'd probably be sectioned!

LeatherTrumpet
30-03-2010, 03:40 PM
God appearing to me and telling me himself, of course if this happened to me I'd probably be sectioned!

what if God was with you when you last looked at your children asleep?

Niamh.
30-03-2010, 03:42 PM
what if God was with you when you last looked at your children asleep?

Maybe he was but I didn't see him so how could I know? because you told me he was?

LeatherTrumpet
30-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Maybe he was but I didn't see him so how could I know? because you told me he was?

perhaps the Holy Spirit was in you, the love that you felt. You have to get beyond the big guy in the clouds with the beard.

Niamh.
30-03-2010, 03:54 PM
perhaps the Holy Spirit was in you, the love that you felt. You have to get beyond the big guy in the clouds with the beard.

maybe he was and maybe it was just my own love, who knows? this is why I would class myself as agnostic

LeatherTrumpet
30-03-2010, 04:03 PM
maybe he was and maybe it was just my own love, who knows? this is why I would class myself as agnostic

i suppose you ability to fly makes you a bit special

Possiblehousemate
30-03-2010, 04:04 PM
no.

Niamh.
30-03-2010, 04:06 PM
i suppose you ability to fly makes you a bit special

well obviously yes, yes I do.

ILoveTRW
30-03-2010, 04:33 PM
easter is about chocolate not religion

LeatherTrumpet
30-03-2010, 04:43 PM
easter is about chocolate not religion

:sleep:

Sticks
30-03-2010, 05:41 PM
I will be going to church on Sunday, not because it is Easter, but because I am obeying the command by inference to meet with the saints every first day of the week as I do every week(Acts 20:7)

By the way, they way the Apostle Paul used the word saints in his letters meant Christians, not dead people that have been "canonised" by some person declared to be the leader of the church in violation of Colosians 1:18

The word Easter actually comes from the Anglo Saxon pagan god Eostre and is also where we get the word oestrogen.

I will therefore be in church on Easter Sunday by default.

Princess
30-03-2010, 05:45 PM
No,don't even celebrate Easter anymore,besides buying an occasional Creme Egg.

Wildcat!
30-03-2010, 07:38 PM
I will be going to church on Sunday, not because it is Easter, but because I am obeying the command by inference to meet with the saints every first day of the week as I do every week(Acts 20:7)

By the way, they way the Apostle Paul used the word saints in his letters meant Christians, not dead people that have been "canonised" by some person declared to be the leader of the church in violation of Colosians 1:18

The word Easter actually comes from the Anglo Saxon pagan god Eostre and is also where we get the word oestrogen.

Have a nice time Sticks! Say a prayer for us sinners! :)

Shasown
30-03-2010, 07:40 PM

Eostre / Ostara was a goddess

Canonisation didnt really start till the 10th century, however by the year 100 A.D., Christians were honoring other Christians who had died, and asking for their intercession. Many people think that honoring saints was something the Church set up later, but it was part of Christianity from the very beginning. As a matter of fact, this practice came from a long-standing tradition in the Jewish faith of honoring prophets and holy people with shrines. The first saints were those people mentioned in the Gospels as being relatives friends and followers of Jesus then along came the early martyrs.

There is no 'commandment by inference' in acts 20:7 it simply talks of a meeting of christians.

Paul the Apostle? Interesting phraseology he wasnt actually a disciple of Jesus however he is venerated by christians, why? Because he shaped the christian faith as it is today, but who was he to decide what way the early church should be run? Jesus didnt say "hey dude you are to speak for me, when these eejits who i taught for 3 years get it wrong", did he?

Whose authority was he acting on? I suppose you could say God's but you have no way of proving that.

Paul made decisions about early church doctrine, that allowed the early church to be open to gentiles, about Jesus' ministry, his writings shaped the christian mass/eucharist, he especially taught about the divinity of Jesus and thats the interesting point, it could be said without him the Christian faith would ever have been no more than a troublesome Jewish Sect.

As for Colossians 1:18 this doesnt state that there shouldn't be a spiritual head of the church on earth nor does it contradict authorising Peter as the rock/head of the church. Its simply describing that all things done for God are done IN jesus Christ.

In fact there isnt anything in Pauls works in the New Testament where Paul actually denies or undermines Peter's authority over the church, though he does at one time criticise (rebuke) him for the treatment of gentile Christians.

Jacob
30-03-2010, 07:43 PM
If they will give out free easter eggs, I may consider it.

This