PDA

View Full Version : Davina Interveiw,

JohnnyBB
24-05-2010, 03:29 PM
What attracted you to The Million Pound Drop?
"I immediately liked the fact that it was live, because as far as I was aware, I'd never seen a live gameshow. That kind of tickled my fancy because I love live TV. There's so many technical things that can go wrong with a live gameshow and I quite like that. It lets you know that you're alive. And the premise - well I don't like gameshows where you don't know what's happening unless you watch it for four weeks - I want it to be just instant."

Can you explain to us how the show works?
"It's not that complicated at all. Everyone starts the show with one million pounds when they come in the studio. And you have to try to keep hold of it. If you have got any money left after eight questions, you are given an all or nothing option. You have to choose from two answers, one of them is right, and you have to put whatever money you have left on that question. You can either win everything or lose everything on that last question. It's a bit like Who Wants To Be A Millionaire in the sense that to get that million pounds is not easy."

Are they going to be tough questions?
"Definitely not. And I'm not sure if you've heard about the online stuff but as an evangelical Tweeter, I love that thing where you can join a community and watch a programme together. I love that feeling of being part of a programme. I don't think that has ever been really done properly before like this. Because it's live TV, it means that you can go along and play the game live with the telly. So if you are the person who shouts, 'I know the answer you bloody idiot' at the telly, you can have a go yourself on the official website."

Have you seen the million pounds of cash yet?
"I haven't seen the money. They have been keeping it under wraps and very secure! Even from me. I'm sure they'll let me sniff it! I was laughing about it with my stylist and make-up people earlier, saying that everyone will have their bags checked before they leave. But seriously, I have never seen security like this on a TV programme. It's started already and the money's not even here yet. It's pretty intense! I had a major problem getting in the studio this morning! They are checking and double checking absolutely everybody and everything."

Did you want to do this show to diversify ahead of Big Brother ending?
"I've never had a gameplan as far as TV programmes go. I don't think, 'Oh I haven't done a gameshow for a long while, I'd love to do one now'. I just pick and choose projects that grab me. Plus, it's Endemol. I love and trust Endemol. We're a bit of a family already, and Channel 4 as well. So it's nice we are all still working together."

Are you already planning for life after Big Brother?
"I'll still be working. Don't worry about me, I'll be OK! I think my husband and kids are happy about having me back. My husband will be able to have me at 10pm every night for 13 weeks. Instead of it being me saying, 'Bye darling', every single night and walking out of dinner parties to go watch the show. We can have a summer holiday next year as well. We're planning it already. We're going to go to Canada, I think."

Are you still upset about the show coming to an end?
"I have mourned. And I think Channel 4 have very graciously given us a year to get our heads around it. I did need a good week of feeling really down about it and really sad. I couldn't really talk to anyone about it. But as time has gone by, I've realised that we've had time to go out with a fantastic celebrity series. That was really brilliant. And I got my dream come true and I got to enter the house! And this final series, from what I hear, is going to be everything you thought you knew, but didn't. If you know what I mean. I think it will be one we remember forever. If they had just gone at the end of the series, this was your last one... that would have been awful. I'd rather end on a big high like this than just dribble out. I would have carried on presenting it, because I would have found it so hard to leave. I'm sure it would have been sinking and I'd have still been there clinging on to the masts desperately trying to not let go! It's much better to be allowed to leave with a big bang."

Did you not protest when Channel 4 said that they were dropping the show?
"No, never. I think if the channel is not behind it, then you have got to let it go. I mean God, Channel 4 took some flak for that show. I bet they are really glad to get rid of one of the hottest potatoes they have ever had. It was the right time for them and it was the right time for us. I think Endemol in the light of day, would probably say that it was the right thing to do."

You said that going in the house during the celebrity series was your dream. Is there anything left that you want to do on the show?
"Going in dressed as a chicken! I I couldn't even talk. How daft was that!? Yeah, I think that was the last thing I really wanted to do. God, if I had the balls I would love to streak through the house. Don't speak to anyone, in through the front door, streak through the house and out the back. God, that would be so good. But I've had three children so that's not going to happen I'm afraid."

There have been rumours about housemates returning. Who would you like to see back on the show?
"Nikki Grahame. But I know that she has some issues at the moment. I think if we can get Nikki Grahame back on par, she would be great. She is such a big character. And I wish all her the best in the world. It would be great to see her again. Any of the really big characters. I love Pete, I love Brian Belo, Nadia. Brian Dowling - get him back in there. Any of the big characters."

If another broadcaster picked up the show and revamped it, would you be interested in working on it?
"I think it is only a decision I could make at the time. I love Big Brother so much and it would have to be someone that would give it as much love and attention. It would be the same production company, I know, but it would be a different team. It's very magical, Big Brother. And they would have to love it as much as me, which is pretty hard. It would have to be something pretty special. I would need some serious wooing."