PDA

View Full Version : Reassuring Double talk ?

Sticks
01-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Here in Newcastle, a reference made by a local news papers has it that the CO-OP store in Newgate Street is closing.

The staff say it is just the non food side that is going. (I hardly ever use the non food section, but regularly use the food hall). The newspaper article implied all of it was closing down along side another superstore (Safeway / Morrisons on Green Market)

I E-mailed their customer care line and got this

May I assure you that the future of this store is as yet undecided.

:puzzled: que?

guttridge
01-11-2005, 06:33 PM
hu funny

Tanser_Man
01-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Sticks
Here in Newcastle, a reference made by a local news papers has it that the CO-OP store in Newgate Street is closing.

The staff say it is just the non food side that is going. (I hardly ever use the non food section, but regularly use the food hall). The newspaper article implied all of it was closing down along side another superstore (Safeway / Morrisons on Green Market)

And?

My kerbab shop closed two weeks ago, but i didn't feel the need to post about it. :puzzled:

Now, after i get drunk... i have to go home hungry.

cc100
01-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Sticks

Yes, my local CO-OP has become Somerfield.

I guess its big business taking over everything.

I blame Thatcher and Tesco.

CharlotteSometimes
02-11-2005, 01:51 AM
It depends on what sort of CO-OP you're talking about. There used to be a CO-OP department store fairly close to me (just through the tunnel in Birkenhead) which had a food court. It also sold furniture, clothing, white goods, kitchen stuff, etc. It was like stepping back in time by a few decades as soon as you walked through the doors, so it wasn't much of a surprise to see it being closed down. People just don't shop that way any more. There used to be five department stores in Liverpool city centre, but now there are only two left. But the CO-OP announced a few years back that they were changing policy. They've been buying up local mini-markets left, right and centre for a few years now.

guttridge
02-11-2005, 11:26 AM
THERE is a co op right by me