PDA

View Full Version : Press selection - Day 1 [News]

Red Moon
06-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Two cross-dressers, a rapper called Maggot... and George Galloway: Celebrity Big Brother is back

By Jason Bennetto and Genevieve Roberts
Published: 06 January 2006

George Galloway's political career has pitched him into some unlikely arenas. There was his visit to Saddam Hussein's presidential palace shortly after the first Gulf War when Gorgeous George saluted the "indefatigable" tyrant's "strength and courage". And his appearance before the high-powered US Senate committee when he humbled his distinguished interrogators with his firebrand oratory. From the High Court to the hustings, the Right Honourable Member for Bethnal Green and Bow has played them all with characteristic swagger.

Now the left-wing maverick could be poised for his greatest challenge after setting out on Channel 4's Celebrity Big Brother last night head to head against the usual array of past-their-sell-by-date celebs and wannabees.

Having entered the televisual goldfish bowl to the strains of T-Rex's "Children of the Revolution", Mr Galloway can look forward to a wealth of diversions and stimulation. There will be the chance to relax around the famous Jacuzzi with the comedian Michael Barrymore, to take part in political debate with the professional Essex girl Jodie Marsh, and discuss the offside rule with Sven-Goran Eriksson's former squeeze, Faria Alam.

The cigar-chomping teetotaller hopes the programme will reveal the true George Galloway. In the show's pre-publicity material he said he had taken the decision to sign up "for the chance to show a large and different audience what I'm really like". His only gameplan, he said was "to entertain". He is also hoping for a little peace and quiet. "To get away from constant telephone and e-mail traffic, and for the chance to make new and unexpected friends."

But how the unlikely chums will take to 51-year-old Mr Galloway remains unclear. Ms Marsh said she plans to teach her housemates to pole dance, while her fellow inmate, the rapper who chooses to call himself Maggot, said he is looking forward to "being confined in the house with a load of birds" - surely not a sentiment shared by the twice-married politician.

The leader of the Respect coalition typically has his mind on higher matters. Few can forget his blood-curdling victory speech at the last general election when he warned the Prime Minister that he would be "haunted by those he had killed in Iraq".

And, for his part, Mr Galloway looks set to cut something of a courtly figure - at odds with the programme's trademark hints of nudity, intoxicated sex and swearing. In his Big Brother CV he warns that he is offended by "drunkeness, bad manners, bigotry and ignorance". However, he does concede that his worst habit - apart from the Montecristos - is snoring. Meanwhile, his greatest fear about going into the house was the prospect of finding Tony Blair as a housemate. "I wouldn't like to carry out the first live throttling of a British PM on TV," he says.

While the producers are talking up the residents as the best ever, some believe the show will struggle to compete with last summer's non-celebrity version, when Makosi's "sex-in-the pool" romp set new highs in sensational newspaper coverage.

But there have been rumblings of concern. The father of Stuart Lubbock, who was found dead in a swimming pool at Barrymore's mansion in Essex in 2001, has already criticised the decision to bring him into the house. He is also angry at the reported £150,000 to be paid to the comedian to lure him back from his new life in New Zealand.

Who will survive from this line-up?

GEORGE GALLOWAY, 51

The controversial Respect MP for Bethnal Green and Bowis best known for his campaign to overturn economic sanctions against Iraq and for his meetings with Saddam Hussein in 1994 and 2002. Mr Galloway was expelled from the Labour Party in October 2003 after allegedly bringing the party into disrepute over his opposition to the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

FARIA ALAM, 39

The model and former PA at the Football Association will find herself back in the media spotlight with Celebrity Big Brother. She had beenlinked to FA chief executive Mark Palios then to England manager Sven Goran Eriksson. She says of her stint in the BB house: "It might make me famous but it might not. It might take me back to where I am now which would be devastating."

MAGGOT, 24

The Newport-born rapper from Goldie Lookin' Chain is better known for rapping about leisure-suits and DSS payments than appearing on celebrity shows. He used to work in a Pot Noodle factory and claims the "most rock 'n' roll thing I've done is puke on a cat". So why is he going on Big Brother? "Well there's not much else to do in January, and it should be a laugh," he said.

TRACI BINGHAM, 37

She is an actress and model living in Beverly Hills and will turn 38 in the Big Brother house. She is best known for filling out a famous red swimsuit in the US television series Baywatch, as the lifeguard Jordan Tate. Bingham describes herself as "something of an exhibitionist" and says that things "could get a little crazy" after she has had a couple of drinks.

RULA LENSKA, 57

She describes herself as "passionate, romantic and slightly eccentric," was born Countess Roza-Marie Leopoldnya Lubienska and grew up in London. She met her second husband, Dennis Waterman, in Minder. Her step-daughter, Hannah, played Laura Beale in EastEnders, and Rula appeared as the girlfriend of Frank Butcher. She aims to give up smoking while in the house.

DENNIS RODMAN, 44

The former professional basketball player dated Madonna and was married to the model and actress, Carmen Electra. Now better known for cross-dressing and churning out autobiographies - he has written three so far - he anticipates that Big Brother will be frustrating. "Three weeks without having sex. That's bullshit. That's gonna really suck."

JODIE MARSH, 27

The glamour model first appeared on television in the documentary Essex Wives. Known for her risqué outfits, she is Zoo magazine's "sexpert" and has been romantically linked to the Westlife singer Kian Egan, George Best's son Calum, and Kenzie, the runner-up in last year's Celebrity Big Brother. Expect to see her teaching her housemates how to lapdance.

MICHAEL BARRYMORE, 53

He is famous for Strike It Lucky, and more controversially, a news story about the death of Stuart Lubbock in 2001. Barrymore was given a caution for possession and use of cannabis. No other charges were filed against him, but his television career collapsed. After the revelations, ITV terminated his contract and his British television career collapsed.

SAMUEL PRESTON, 23

The lead singer/guitarist in the Ordinary Boys will celebrate his 24th birthday in the BB house. He dropped out of university to form the band with three friends from Worthing. They burst on to the music scene nearly two years ago with "Maybe Someday", and their debut album went gold in the UK in 2004. He is looking forward to "being stuck in a bedroom with sexy girls".

PETE BURNS

The lead singer with the 1980s band Dead or Alive, whose single 'You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)' reached No 1. He shocked audiences with his flamboyant dress sense including stockings, high heels and corsets. Burns lives in Italy and is a self-confessed diva, with rooms full of Vivienne Westwood outfits. He counts Jackie Stallone and Madonna among his idols.
Source: The Independent (http://news.independent.co.uk/media/article336780.ece)

Red Moon
06-01-2006, 11:48 AM
BIG BROTHER'S FREAK HOUSE

Barrymore, an MP, 2 cross-dressers and Maggot the rapper in oddest show ever CELEBRITY BIG BROTHER
By Nicola Methven, Tv Editor And Aidan Mcgurran
06 January 2006

CELEBRITY Big Brother opened its doors last night...to the show's most bizarre mix of housemates ever.

Disgraced Michael Barrymore will be rubbing shoulders with two cross-dressers - US basketball ace Dennis Rodman and 80s pop star Pete Burns.

Joining them will be firebrand MP George Galloway, clearly swapping one crazy House for another.
Other contestants are former Baywatch beauty Traci Bingham, party girl Jodie Marsh, FA sex scandal secretary Faria Alam and actress Rula Lenska Pop stars Samuel Preston and Goldie Lookin' Chain rapper Maggot, who boasts about being sick over on a cat, complete the "celebrity" line-up.

Barrymore, 53, said: "I have no expectations. If you think about it, the format is right for what I do. People fascinate me.

"I want to see how I cope with the housemates 24 hours a day."

The shamed comic believes his experience battling drugs will help him cope, adding: "I've had a lot of experience in rehabs."

He has been in exile in New Zealand since reveller Stuart Lubbock, 31, was found dead at his home in 2001.

Yet he insisted: "If certain people want to call it a comeback, they can, because I haven't been away."

Barrymore, who has sparked outrage with his appearance on the show, triggered more fury last night by entering the house to Eminem's Without Me - which boasts about taking "weed" and "hard liquor".

Stuart's dad Terry, 61, of Harlow, Essex, said: "I didn't know the lyrics but I'm aware it makes references to drugs and drinking, which were linked to my son's death. It was sick and inappropriate, but nothing surprises me with Barrymore and Channel 4."

The most surprising contestant is probably Respect MP George Galloway, 51.

Asked whom he would least like on the show, he hinted it was Tony Blair and joked: "I wouldn't like to carry out the first live throttling of a British PM live on TV."

Ex-Dead Or Alive frontman Pete, 46, hinted he would be bitchy and said: "I don't have team spirit. I play for myself."

Dennis, 48, said: "The hardest thing will be three weeks without sex. That's gonna suck."

Jodie, 27, claimed she was getting tired of her Essex girl persona and said: "The press and public are so vile to me. I feel like if it doesn't change I don't want to do this job any more."

Tracy, 37, promised to spice things up and said: "I like to sleep nude. Things could get a little crazy."

Rula, 57, pledged to "broaden people's horizons as to who I am - a crazy Polish countess who likes a challenge".

Maggot confessed: "The most rock and roll thing I've done is puke on a cat."

Asked why he was on the show, Samuel replied: "I'd rather do it and regret it than not do it and regret it."

Show chiefs have added a twist - an 11th contestant called Chantelle, who will have to persuade the house she is famous. If she fails she will be booted off.

William Hill makes Jodie 4-1 favourite but have had no bets on Barrymore.

JODIE MARSH

EX-STRIPPER, 27, who shot to fame in docusoap Essex Wives. Hates other glamour girls, notably Jordan. 4/1

DENNIS RODMAN

EX-US basketball star who dons women's clothes. Married to actress Carmen Electra for nine days. 6/1

RULA LENSKA

REAL-life Countess, 57, and a practising Buddhist. Ex-wife of Minder star Dennis Waterman. 8/1

MAGGOT (Real name Nigel)

RAPPER, 24, with Goldie Lookin Chain who got nicknamed for his flesh coloured puffa jacket. 9/2

MICHAEL BARRYMORE

GAY ex-alcoholic drug addict comic, 57, moved to New Zealand after man died in his pool. 6/1

FARIA ALAM

EX-FA secretary, 39, who bedded England manager Sven Goran Eriksson and chief execMark Palios.10/1

SAMUEL PRESTON

UNIVERSITY drop-out, 23, leader of punky band The Ordinary Boys. Political firebrand says he'll win. 5/1

PETE BURNS

CROSS dressing singer, 46, with 80s band Dead or Alive. Italy-based and loves plastic surgery. 12/1

GEORGE GALLOWAY

SCOTS critic of Iraq war, 51, expelled by Labour in 2003. Respect's MP for Bethnal Green & Bow. 14/1

TRACI BINGHAM

HARVARD-educated ex Baywatch actress (played Jordan Tate), 37, admits being an exhibitionist. 7/1.
Source: The Mirror (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=16552965&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=freak-house--name_page.html)

Red Moon
06-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Big Bruv's Bleak House
By SARA NATHAN?TV Editor
06 January 2006

THESE are the contestants who entered telly’s Celebrity Big Brother house last night.

The grim group includes shamed Michael Barrymore, transvestite Eighties pop singer Pete Burns and controversial MP George Galloway.

All will battle it out over the next three and half weeks in the hit Channel 4 reality show.
Galloway is using his stint in the house to raise money for a Palestinian charity.

The Respect MP for Bethnal Green and Bow in East London is set to donate both his £60,000 fee and his share from the show’s voter phonelines to Interpal.

The British organisation sends aid to “the poor and needy of Palestine”.

Left-winger Galloway, 51, famously held meetings with Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein.

Last night Channel 4 tried to defend signing the politician, saying: “His position as an MP does not preclude him being a housemate.

He will not be allowed to use his time in the house as a political soapbox.”

In his BB biography, Galloway said his greatest fear about going into the house was finding Tony Blair as a housemate.

He said: “I wouldn’t like to carry out the first live throttling of a British PM on TV.”

BB host Davina McCall also revealed the MP’s main loves are “his daughter, sunbathing and sex”.

Galloway joins gay Barrymore, 53 — the one-time king of British telly — whose appearance marked his small-screen return after four years.

The comic is aiming to put his career back on track following his sacking by ITV after reveller Stuart Lubbock drowned in the pool at his home in 2001. ?
?Barrymore fled to New Zealand with lover Shaun Davis.

Speaking earlier, he said he had “no expectations” about the reality show.

He bragged: “If certain people want to call it a comeback, they can call it a comeback but I haven’t been away.”

Last night it emerged that cops investigating 31-year-old Stuart’s death will follow up any new leads that may result from Barrymore’s TV stint.

The funnyman’s advisers have banned him discussing the tragedy. ?
?But Essex Police pledged to re-open the investigation if new clues emerge.

Also in the house are singer Burns, glamour girl Jodie Marsh, Baywatch beauty Traci Bingham and Sven Goran Eriksson’s ex-lover Faria Alam. ??
Faria was roundly booed but she kept her head down and made a beeline for the house.

She was joined by Dennis Waterman’s ex Rula Lenska, cross-dressing basketball star Dennis Rodman and two musicians — Preston from The Ordinary Boys and Maggot from rappers Goldie Lookin’ Chain.

Jodie — who carried a vanity case into the house to a mixture of boos and cheers — is the bookies’ favourite to win the show at 4-1.

An early twist to the show was unknown blonde contestant Chantelle Houghton, who was given a secret mission to convince housemates she was a celeb — or face eviction.

The 22-year-old, from Wickford, Essex, was given her secret assignment in the diary room.

Chantelle — a double for Paris Hilton — was told to pose as a pop star in a band.

Meanwhile, Traci revealed: “I may have issues because I like to sleep in the nude.”

Er, no problem, Trace.
Source: The SUN (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2006000002-2006000729,00.html)

Arneldo
06-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Thanks Red.

Red Moon
06-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Non-celeb in bid to fool housemates
06 January 2006

Celebrity Big Brother kicked off with a twist as an unknown member of the public became the first to enter the famous house. If Chantelle, 22, from Essex, manages to convince the others she is a popstar with Kandyfloss, she will win the right to stay on the show. If she fails, she will be evicted.

The second contestant and first celebrity to enter the house was former TV entertainer Michael Barrymore. The 53-year-old star, who lives in New Zealand, was in tears as he received a tremendous reception from the crowd, stopping to pose for photographers and applaud back to his new fans.

Pouting eighties pop star Pete Burns was the third contestant. Smothered in lipstick and wearing a long white fur-trimmed coat with high heels, he blew kisses to the crowd, but milked the occasion rather less than Barrymore.

The fourth housemate was Baywatch babe Traci Bingham. Wearing a black and white checked coat, black top and jeans, the divorced actress greeted the other housemates with a handshake and a giggle.

Goldie Lookin' Chain rapper Maggot, 24, was the fifth contestant to enter the house. Actress Rula Lenska was next. Looking slightly bewildered after running the gauntlet of the crowd outside, She embarked on a round of continental cheek-kissing and hugged Barrymore.

Next up was glamour model Jodie Marsh, 27, dressed in a revealing black dress and knee-high boots. "I'm a famous author," she said, adding: "I just want to be liked. I just want to walk down the street without somebody shouting abuse at me."

The eighth housemate was American basketball legend Dennis Rodman. Cross dressing Rodman, who once dated Madonna, arrived sporting sunglasses, a baseball cap and tracksuit bottoms. The 44-year-old , who says he knows "absolutely nothing" about Big Brother, waved at crowds and exclaimed "Oh my god, you've got to be joking" as he entered the house.

Faria Alam received a mixture of boos and cheers as she emerged from her car wearing jeans and a beige top. Looking nervous, the former Football Association secretary walked quickly down the red carpet and puffed out her cheeks as she descended into the house.

The penultimate celebrity in the house was guitarist and singer Samuel Preston, 23, who likes to be known as Preston. Plugging himself "voice of reason" in the house, Preston, whose band The Ordinary Boys, named his pet hate as people who feel they have to be "wacky all the time".

Bethnal Green Respect MP George Galloway was the final celebrity to enter the house. Wearing a black overcoat, black shirt and trousers, he made his way through the crowds to a chorus of boos, stopping at the doorway to shout "Stop the War" and make a peace sign.
Source: Scotsman (http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=22822006)

Red Moon
06-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Telling off for 'vandal' Barrymore
06 January 2006

MICHAEL Barrymore has been displaying some bizarre behaviour on his first day in the Celebrity Big Brother house.

The shamed TV star was hauled into the Diary Room after attempting to deface a portrait of the Queen by poking her eyes out with a lemon squeezer.

He cut a lonely figure, wandering the house alone in the early hours, talking to himself, and becoming obsessed by a cactus plant.

Barrymore, 53, got up in the middle of the night after the other housemates complained about his snoring.

"Dennis said that my snoring was so bad he couldn't sleep so I thought I'd get up," he explained.

Transfixed

At one stage he became transfixed by the cactus, prodding it and staring at its spikes in silence for several minutes.

"I was trying to get one of those prickly things off to turn it into a pen," he explained later.

The kitchen was already spotless but Barrymore embarked on a cleaning frenzy, scrubbing every surface including the kettle.

He eventually returned to bed but got up again this morning before all the other housemates.

A framed portrait of the Queen caught his eye.

After staring at it from every angle, he tried to poke her eyes out with a lemon squeezer.

Diary Room

The attempted vandalism earned him a telling-off from Big Brother in the Diary Room.

Barrymore's appearance on the show marks his TV comeback four years after partygoer Stuart Lubbock was found dead in the star's pool.

Last night, he made an OTT entrance into the Big Brother house, falling to his knees as the crowd cheered and chanted his name.

He wiped away tears and told them: "I'm not worthy."

But Mr Lubbock's father Terry branded him "pathetic".

"It was pathetic to see him playing to the crowd the way he did," he told the Daily Mirror.

"It was a desperate attempt to revive his non-existent career. But I hope people remember why it hit the skids."
Source: Manchester Online (http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/entertainment/filmandtv/tv/s/197/197839_celebrity_bb_telling_off_for_vandal_barrymo re.html)

Red Moon
06-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Big Brother 'good for politics', says Galloway
06 January 2006

George Galloway, the Respect MP and surprise Celebrity Big Brother contestant, has said his participation in the TV show would be "good for politics".

Mr Galloway, the MP for Bethnal Green and Bow, was a surprise inclusion in the 11-strong cast for the show which started last night.

"It's good for politics. I believe that politicians should use every opportunity to communicate with people," the anti-war politician said in a statement issued today.

"I'm a great believer in the democratic process. Big Brother is watched by millions. More young people vote during Big Brother than in the General Election. I hope they'll all be voting for me over the next few weeks."

Mr Galloway, a left-winger who was expelled from Labour for comments on the Iraq war, inflicted a defeat on his former party when he won his seat from Oona King at the last election.

"If I win, it will be my greatest election victory since, well, since my last one," he said.

He entered the Big Brother house last night to a chorus of boos from the crowd, before pausing to make a victory sign and shout
"Stop the war!".

Mr Galloway is a 14-1 outsider to win the show, according to bookmakers William Hill.
Source: The Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/01/06/ugeorge.xml&sSheet=/portal/2006/01/06/ixportaltop.html)

Red Moon
06-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Big Brother launch seen by 6.5m
06 January 2006

Ex-gameshow host Michael Barrymore's entrance into the Big Brother house was seen by an average of 6.5 million people, according to overnight ratings.

The launch of Celebrity Big Brother series was seen by one in four UK TV viewers. Last year's series opener was seen by 5.2 million people.

Ratings peaked at 7.6 million viewers - 31.2% of the audience - towards the end of the live broadcast.

Barrymore is the favourite to win the series, at 3/1 with Ladbrokes.

A Channel 4 spokesman said: "We are delighted that last night's launch show has proved such a rating success and a fantastic start to 2006."

Before his entrance last night, Ladbrokes said it had not received a single bet on Barrymore, whose inclusion in the show has caused controversy.

But the presenter - whose TV career has been in ruins since a man was found dead in his swimming pool in 2001 - was given a warm reception by the audience outside the programme's camera-filled house at Borehamwood, Hertfordshire.

'Damaged goods'

Ladbrokes spokesman David Williams said: "We feared he might be damaged goods but the phones started ringing as soon as the show was over.

"The punters have started to make their move for the troubled funnyman."

Barrymore is one of 10 public figures - and one unknown contestant planted by Channel 4 producers - who will spend 23 days in a house with their every move followed by TV cameras.

Other contestants include singer Samuel Preston, of rock band The Ordinary Boys, and rapper Maggot from hip-hop act Goldie Lookin' Chain. Both are rated 4/1 to win.

George Galloway, the first MP to take part in the show, follows at 10/1.

Unknown contestant

The Respect party leader, who represents the east London constituency of Bethnal Green and Bow, has been criticised for his decision to appear in the programme.

Actress Helen Mirren, who campaigned for his Labour rival Oona King in the 2005 general election, told Radio Five Live: "I think that's very weird. Where does this guy's ambition go, that's very peculiar. Personally, I feel his interest is a self-interest."

Other contestants include Faria Alam, who had an affair with England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson, US basketball star Dennis Rodman and model Jodie Marsh.

Actress Rula Lenska, ex-Baywatch star Traci Bingham and 1980s pop star Pete Burns also feature, along with an unknown contestant, Chantelle, who must convince the others she is famous.

Big Brother's ratings success will come under pressure on Friday when it goes head-to-head with ITV1's Soapstar Superstar, a talent show featuring stars from the likes of Coronation Street and Emmerdale in an X Factor-style contest.

Source: RTE (http://www.rte.ie/arts/2006/0106/celebritybigbrother.html)

Red Moon
06-01-2006, 06:20 PM
BB celebs suspicious of fake pop singer
06 January 2006

A number of the housemates in 'Celebrity Big Brother' are becoming suspicious about fake popstar Chantelle, who is on a mission to fool her fellow contestants.

Chantelle has been told to pretend that she is a member of a pop group called Kandyfloss but faces getting booted out of the house if the real celebrities rumble her.

Preston and George Galloway have already become suspicious of her after she told Galloway that her single got to number 47 in the charts and then later told Preston that it reached number 58.

Preston confided in Galloway and Faria Alam: "I haven't heard of that group." He also suggested: "You don't think she's a red herring? I've never heard of her."

"If she's just a struggling musician I'd feel bad for being paranoid," Preston said. Faria is now on a mission to try to catch Chantelle out by asking her for a third time what the highest chart position of her single was.

Source: RTE (http://www.rte.ie/arts/2006/0106/celebritybigbrother.html)

Red Moon
06-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Galloway voters in 'where's our MP' protest
06 January 2006

Rebel MP George Galloway was today accused of betraying his Muslim constituents for appearing on Celebrity Big Brother.

The Respect Party politician came under fire from a dozen local residents who staged a protest outside his office in East London.

They said he had abandoned his responsibilities in Bethnal Green and Bow and demanded he give back his MP’s pay for the time he is in the house.??A Muslim voter, who wanted to be known only as Ali, said Mr Galloway was setting a bad example to Muslim children.

The community worker, who lives off nearby Brick Lane, said: “I have spoken to a number of people at Friday prayers who voted for him who are very disappointed.

“They are disappointed that he’s gone on the TV with a Page 3 model and a Baywatch woman.??“What sign is that giving to the Muslim community? Children are tuning in. It’s not what the Muslim community wants from their MP.”

Michael Keith, leader of the Labour-led Tower Hamlets council, added: “We think the public should know that our MP is not here. He’s not doing his job in Parliament and he’s not doing his job in this community.”

The group held up banners with slogans including “Get back to work Galloway”, “Where’s our MP?” and “Give your MP’s salary back”.

They shouted “waste of space” and “where are you?”.

Sybil Yates, 74, who runs a pensioners’ group in Wapping, said: “I’m annoyed because we have got a despicable man for our MP.??“He should have gone with Ant and Dec to the jungle and stayed there.”

Mrs Yates, who said she did not vote for Mr Galloway in the election, added that she would never bother asking him for help in the community.

“There’s nothing positive about him at all, he’s a nothing to us. He’s done nothing and we are sick of him.”

Mr Galloway’s media agent, Wendy Bailey, said his presence in the house was a “terrific opportunity for politics”. He had been discussing low-pay issues and racism with other contestants, she added.

“These are all issues that affect people in his constituency. It’s an opportunity for all of these issues to be discussed at a wider level to a huge audience.

“I think he’s doing an amazing job at representing his constituents and politics in general. It’s a phenomenal opportunity.

“I think his critics are only disappointed that they did not think of it first.”

Earlier, Labour Minister for London Jim Fitzpatrick said he was not surprised by the MP taking part in the show “as Mr Galloway is a C-list politician with an A-list ego”.

“But while he has chosen to lock himself away in this celebrity graveyard, his constituents have yet again been left without help for their problems and without a voice in the Parliament.

“For an elected Parliamentarian, who is paid from the public’s purse, to shirk responsibility in this way is arrogant as it is exploitative.”
Source: Ireland On-Line (http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainment/story.asp?j=168244742&p=y68z45448)

Red Moon
06-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Ordinary Boy & GLC Join Big Brother
06 January 2006

In a surprising (and slightly ridiculous) turn of events, Preston from The Ordinary Boys and Maggot from Goldie Lookin Chain have both entered Channel 4’s Celebrity Big Brother. And we have the up to date odds.

Unless you were hiding under a rock last night (or had something more worthwhile to do than watch a mind numbingly inane television show) by now you’ll know that Channel 4’s Celebrity Big Brother has started.

After the initial shock of seeing Michael Barrymore, controversial (and obviously shameless) MP George Galloway, Sven Goran Eriksson’s ex-squeeze Faria Alam, Rula Lenska, Baywatch actress Traci Bingham, Jodie Marsh, Dennis Rodman and Dead Or Alive’s Pete Burns, came the surprise that two friends of Xfm were entered into the contest.

Firstly Goldie Lookin' Chain rapper Maggot (24) entered the house, wearing a very fetching two piece black tracksuit, claiming he went on the show as "There's not much else to do in January, and it should be a laugh."

Following close behind was Preston (full name Samuel Preston, 23) singer with Xfm favourites The Ordinary Boys, who arrived, and greeted a confused Michael Barrymore with a chirpy “Alwite?”

Odder still is that after Barrymore, bookies William Hill are offering very good odds on both of them, with both musicians currently occupying the 2nd and 3rd positions. The full odds are:

1. Michael Barrymore: 3/1
2. Preston: 4/1
3. Maggot: 4/1
4. George Galloway: 10/1
5. Dennis Rodman: 12/1
6. Jodie Marsh: 12/1
7. Peter Burns: 12/1
8. Rula Lenska: 14/1
9. Faria Alam: 16/1
10. Tracie Bingham: 16/1
11. Any other winner 10/1
Source: XFM (http://www.xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?id=161603)

Red Moon
06-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Chantelle is a Paris model
By Amar Singh and Alexa Baracaia, Evening Standard

06 January 2006

Celebrity Big Brother's first "non-celebrity" contestant is today revealed as a professional Paris Hilton lookalike and former Page Three girl.

Chantelle Houghton, 22, from Wickford in Essex, has been told she must convince her fellow housemates that she is a pop star to avoid eviction.

But the Standard can reveal that the celebrity spin-off 's first "civilian" contestant has flirted with fame as an agency lookalike, who impersonates US socialite Paris Hilton for photoshoots and has posed topless for The Sun.

Phil Green, managing director of Supermodel Ltd - a glamour model agency Ms Houghton has been signed to for three years - said: "What Chantelle does for us is a cross between glamour work and promotions. In the early days she did work for lads' mags. She was thrilled when she got her Page Three.

"She also did some TV adverts, but has since concentrated more on her work as a Paris Hilton lookalike."

Mr Green added: "She's a lovely, down-to-earth girl - I think she will do really well in the house."

Ms Houghton is also signed to two lookalike agencies, where she can earn as much as £300 per appearance.

The managing director of one, Fake Faces, today admitted he had been contacted by programme maker Endemol before the latest Big Brother show.

Jez Lee said: "Endemol contacted us because they were looking for people who could impersonate celebrities. We sent an email out to all our lookalikes.

"Its good to see Chantelle finally get her break... We're very proud of her."

Lookalike agent Susan Scott, who also represents Ms Houghton from her Hampstead offices, said: "She's a lovely bubbly Essex girl, but very tough and determined. We'll be cheering her on."

Ms Houghton also features on a dating website, where she lists "fake tan, Lionel Richie, rosé wine and popcorn" as her favourite things.

A spokeswoman for Channel 4 said: "Chantelle auditioned for Big Brother 6 as a normal contestant. The producers felt that she would work for Celebrity Big Brother this year. As far as I am aware no agency was contacted."

Preston and George Galloway appear to have already rumbled fake celebrity Chantelle.

She is trying to convince the other housemates she is a pop star from the pretend band Kandyfloss.

But she slipped up by telling Galloway her single got to number 47 in the charts - and telling Preston it reached number 58.

During a conversation in the garden with Galloway and Faria, a suspicious Preston began a discussion about Chantelle by saying: "I haven't heard of that group."

Galloway told him: "She had one hit, it got to number 47."

Preston said: "She told me 58. You don't think she's a red herring? I've never heard of her," adding: "If she's just a struggling musician I'd feel bad for being paranoid."

The pair sent Faria on a mission to ask Chantelle what number her record made in a bid to catch her out.

Ms Houghton has already caught the eye of another housemate, cross-dressing basketball player Dennis Rodman. The pair spent the early hours chatting, but Rodman wasn't paying too much attention to Chantelle's conversation.

Returning after a diary room chat, he told her: "They asked me who I was bonding with and I'm like, well, she's white, she's from Brisbane, she's named Champagne..." An indignant Chantelle retorted: "I'm not from Brisbane, I'm from Essex and I'm Chantelle."

Nearly eight million people tuned in to see a line-up including Michael Barrymore and former FA secretary Faria Alam enter the house last night.

Meanwhile, George Galloway's constituents in Bow and Bethnal Green reacted with fury today at his decision to take part, saying the MP should be representing their interests in parliament.
Source: This is London (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/showbiz/celebbb/articles/21367344?source=Evening%20Standard)

coltrane
06-01-2006, 09:11 PM
Red Moon I salute you for all the news posts! Good of you to do that! :thumbs:

Red Moon
06-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Barrymore to host quiz
By DAILE PEPPER
Sun Online
06 January 2006

THE first task Big Brother has set for the new housemates is a quiz - about their personal histories and areas of expertise.

Faker Chantelle was summoned to the diary room and given an extensive made-up life history which she will need to remember to pass the quiz.

Quiz master is Michael Barrymore. He secured the position after he nominated himself as the most entertaining housemate.

Michael chose Traci and George to be team captains.

Traci chose Rula, Maggot, Chantelle and Jodie to be on her team while George picked Faria, Preston, Dennis and Pete.

The winning team will be given a party, which should rub the losers' noses in it. Michael will be allowed to join in the festivities if he carries out his duties properly.

Chantelle faces being booted from the house if her companions figure out the secret she is hiding.
Source: The SUN (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2006000002-2006010052,00.html)

Red Moon
06-01-2006, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by coltrane
Red Moon I salute you for all the news posts! Good of you to do that! :thumbs:

Thanks coltrane, it's something I enjoy doing