PDA

View Full Version : A female can never win Big Brother - Discuss

Sticks
24-07-2002, 08:49 PM
This posting appeared on the reach forum

Why a girl will not win
posted by Simon on 09:29 24/7/2002

I've told you, Alex is the only one with a chance.

Why? Cos most of the viewers are female.

You may THINK you'd like a girl to win, but in truth, you fancy Alex.

It's that simple.

Most of the pundits seem to feel the reason Alex has it in the bag is that the majority of voters are women, hence most of the adverts during the commercial breaks are for womens products. From the demographics, these votes will prefer to vote for the dishyest man there. Alex being a professional model fits that bill.

Forget personality -- it's looks that count.

The peacock that puts on the brightes display attracts the pehen (oh dear I am beginning to sound like a BB shrink :blush: )

Sum up

Majority of viewers are young adolescent females (Mark & Lee have you ever analysed the male to female ratio on this forum ?)
These majority voters will vote for an attractive alpha male

This year it is Alex as Jonny looks tired and haggard

These voters will never vote for a female, especially if she is pretty, out of spite and jealousy

So the theory goes.

The analysis of the pundits points to the awful fact

Alex will be winner of BB3

Kate and Jade don't have a prayer :bawling:

I so wanted Kate to win
Would not have minded a Jade victory

but it is not to be :bawling:

(BTW Mark any chance of a Kate or Jade Smiley)

Amy
24-07-2002, 08:57 PM
You never know she could win :shocked: I think this year is all about who you like and not who you fancy and Kate comes across well, i will be making sure i vote for her! She has entertained me with her very good impressions :thumbs:

WILDCHILD
24-07-2002, 10:08 PM
I really dont believe any of the nonsesnse that says a girl will never win Big Brother. I think it is just hear'say, a myth - total rubbish!:laugh:
If people think she is a nice and funny girl, they will vote for her.
Last year I fancied Paul like mad but I wanted Helen to win it and I DID NOT fancy Helen.
This year, I faniced Spencer but did not want to see him win it. This year I find Alex soooo good looking but it doesnt mean that is the reason I want him to win, I just find him funny. He could be really unattractive and with his personality, I would still want him to win.
I dont believe any of it and at the moment I reckOn Kate has the most chance of winning BB3!:thumbs:

Glitter_babe
25-07-2002, 09:24 AM
How many words does my essay have to be Sticks?

1. "People will vote for the one they fancy most, and most voters are females."
I agree that most voters are females - it would be far too 'soft' for most men to vote, and they should be off doing 'manly' things like skinning rabbits. I base the assumption that men won't vote for these reasons on my brother and his mates (they are all around 16) I won't bore you with why!

But, voting for who you fancy isn't necessarily true. The first year, Craig won, buut was it because people fancied him? I can't be sure, I didn't even watch all of the series, but I didn't know anyone who fancied him, they just thought he was the nicest.
Second year: Brian. Very attractive, but voted for on his ability to entertain and comedy value, not looks, as far as I can see. Most people I talk to fancied Paul, and he didn't survive, Helen did.
This year: Some dispute. I still think Spencer was best looking, although some will argue Alex. BUT I didn't like Spencer because he was good looking - I wouldn't have wasted 50p voting for Alex that week (i'm so stingy!) if it had just been because Spencer was fit - I thought he had a very good, dry, sense of humour, and I found him the most likeable. Many girls may have voted because they fancied him, but he didn't survive on that, did he? So perhaps looks aren't everything - Alex survived, but I dont think his vote was based on attractiveness at all, it was his obsessive behaviour.

2. "These voters will never vote for a female, especially if she is pretty, out of spite and jealousy."
There were always female runners up. The first year it was Anna, and she lost out, the second it was Helen, and she lost to Brian. Conclusion? Girls can't win. Not strictly true. Brian was leading the polls from an early stage, and although Helen grew in popularity, Brian always had the edge. But, take her out of BB2 and put her in BB1. Would she have won? She'd have had a good chance. Put her in BB3. Would she have won? Probably.
My point is, I don't think girls wouldn't vote for Helen because she was a girl, merely because Brian they found funnier.
Then theres Kate and Jade this year, and I reckon they have a chance. Jade, because of the bullying and also because shes very entertaining. Kate, because she's what a lot of girls would like to be, and shes very funny, I don't think this will make girls jealous, I think it will wrap them up in the whole 'Girl Power' thing, and they'll respect Kate.

3. " From the demographics, these votes will prefer to vote for the dishyest man there. Alex being a professional model fits that bill. "
I think you underestimate the voters. Good looking to some, perhaps, but Alex is, by his own admission, a "miserable bastard" and I think the viewers being 'young' will lead them to vote someone more fun loving, someone who has a laugh, someone who could be their friends, not someone who reminds them of their Dads.
Please bear in mind I'm generalising here, but I actually think Alex's main appeal is with the slightly older 30+ audience (no offence to anyone meant!) who want to mother him, think he's a laugh or agree with him, not the younger audience who, in my experience, think he should live a little.
And, again in general, I don't know how many of these people will vote for the final - as you have said, the majority of voters are younger. So Alex's fans may be a little reluctant to pick up the phone and dial.

Do I think a girl can win? Yes. Do I think a girl WILL win? Possibly. Whatever the out come, I don't think Alex will win because of his 'fit-ness', I think he'll lose because of his moaning, and then maybe this will prove the "girls will never win" theorists wrong.

avriljayne
25-07-2002, 01:01 PM
Why a girl will not win

It's that simple.

I must be in the minority then because I don't fancy Alex at all, I don't even find him particularly attractive :sleep:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

Maggie
25-07-2002, 01:42 PM
Nice looking, but I don't fancy him :laugh:

It's about time a woman won BB :laugh: :spin2: :laugh: come on Kate :hello: :hello: :hello: you'd think so in this day and age :conf: :conf: :conf: Girl Power :thumbs:

BusyBee
25-07-2002, 09:39 PM
Forget demographics and all the theories, if a girl is a strong enough character then she will win. After all girls in other countries have won. I think it is more difficult because of the bigger proportion of females who vote, but I know loads of females who voted for Helen last year simply because they liked her. I really think if she had been up against anyone other than Brian she would have won. So go girls show the lads what you can do.

Oldgit
27-07-2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Sticks
A female can never win Big Brother!

WRONG AGAIN, Sticks!

KATE HAS WON

I think that it is harder for a woman to win, but Kate had a bit extra.

I think at the elimination stages it is hard for a female to beat a male. Only Helen and Kate have achieved this in Britain, and Helen because of her developing relationship with Paul. She beat Josh because the public wanted to see what would happen, and she beat Paul because some people thought that Paul was being a "cad" and those that did not thought that it would be better for their relationship if Paul came out first.

Kate vs PJ was 100% on merit.

At first, when Kate was a bit nervous, a lot of girls did not like her. They interpreted her furtive glances around as being a bit too clever, and her obvious ease with the boys as using her looks to gain favour.

As it went on, it became clearer that Kate was not involved in any plotting or bitching, and her ease with the lads was because she liked sport and was somthing of a tomboy. Yet she was a bit flirty and very feminine at the same time.

As it went on, I think that girls became less envious of her, and saw her more as someone they would like to be. Similar in some ways, but the first is a negative emotion and the second a positive. I noticed this change with women in work.

At the end, it was gangs of girls at the final show who were supporting Kate, including one gang from Hornchurch (where Alex lives) in Arsenal shirts and a banner "Kate's Gunner Win".

So, yes it is harder for a girl to win, but the disadvantage is not decisive, and Kate was enough of an all-round character to overcome it.

:laugh: :laugh: :spin2: :spin2: :laugh: :laugh:

Sticks
27-07-2002, 11:29 AM
Actually it was Simon who was wrong when he posted on the Channel 4 Reach forum:

Why a girl will not win

It's that simple.

Up until last night there was talk around the net and on BBLB questioning whether a woman could win. This was based on demographics and assumptions about standard voting patterns

The statement in the thread title is now clearly false, and Kate is the shining example that it can be done.

Kate Lawler is one special lady (Mark can we have a Kate Smile )

There is still one assumption about a type of individual that could also still fall into the catagory of "Snowball's chance in Gehenna of winning" But I will wait to see if they are still determined to go ahead with yet another BB before I elaborate" (At the moment I hope NOT - the way things have been conducted )

hauser
28-07-2002, 10:22 AM
Here's one viewer who never fancied Alex, as he didn't have manly ways...but Jonny did, and although I have a strange name, I'm a female, and I know what I like, and Alex wasn't it. Kate on the other hand has lovely features, which make her stand out, and had Jade not gorged herself and put on weight before our very eyes, her features would have been nice as well, as I saw a photo of when she was slim and she was a stunner....and a pity re her big mouth and bullying ways, which aren't endearing, and not doing her any favours. If Jade had done as well as Kate did without a moan and bitchiness, then she could have had an equal chance of winning, which would have given more people a bigger thought of who to vote for..and in my case I voted for Kate, Jonny and Jade...and why I voted for Jade was that she started showing signs of becoming a more knowledgeable person, for I never believed she was as stupid as she made out, she just couldn't be seeing she was a dental nurse and knew a thing or two.....but rest of her needs fixing, and I believe in giving people a chance, and hope she doesn't make a mess of it. So, I didn't vote for a female because it was time one won BB, but it was Kate who had the all-round qualities who deserved the prize, coupled with Jonny who made BB3 better than it was. If I can add an extra here....being in a house with all those cameras must have been a nightmare for many of them, and I couldn't have done it, as I was on TV once and shook like crazy when the camera was pointed at me, so turned my back, which was equally bad, and I was supposed to start off the discussion......and was glad to get out of there afterwards....so the HM's did a great job of their time there, and no harm in quelling nerves by looking at the cameras if only to feel at ease with them..and I'd vote for male and female if they deserved it. Any of you here fancy being an HM next year? :)

Cheers Hauser