PDA

View Full Version : Tourette's sufferer could enter house [update]

James
13-03-2006, 08:23 AM
BB7 rumour from Daily Star...

BIGBRO IS BACK LIVE ON SWEAR!

EXCLUSIVE

by KATIE BEGLEY

BIG BROTHER bosses face a storm of protest after signing up a contestant who can’t stop swearing.

The man has Tourette’s Syndrome, which makes him burst into uncontrollable tirades of four-letter words.

Big Brother chiefs have waved him through to the final stages of auditions for the next series of the reality show later this year.

But last night there was fury that telly bosses were willing to use someone with an illness as entertainment.

Alison Owens, 43, a member of the Tourette Syndrome Association, said: “I think the Big Brother people have to be very careful that they don’t make a joke out of him. To have him on the show just to take the mickey out of him would be so wrong.

“They must make sure the other people don’t gang up on him or let him become the focus of negative attention.”

The condition can make sufferers burst out with what they are thinking of someone, no matter how insulting.

Critics

The man, in his early twenties, joined thousands of others at auditions for the new BB series in May.

And bosses are keen to defy critics by putting him on the Channel 4 show, which is hosted by Davina McCall, 38.

One source revealed: “The man has made it through to the final stages of the audition process after really impressing the selection panel.

“He’s now a favourite and if he gets in it will make the Friday night show a lot more interesting.

“Everyone will be on the edge of their seats to see what happens when Davina crosses live to the house and says, ‘Housemates, this is Davina – please do not swear’.

“It will cause a lot of headaches for the producers because they could have a lot of editing to do to cut the bad language out.

“But it could make inside the house a more lively.”

More than 30,000 life lot people HEADACHE: Live show host Davina SUFFERER:Tim Howard suffer from Tourette’s Syndrome in the UK.

The hereditary condition causes uncontrollable nervous twitches and, in some cases, makes a person swear and make obscene gestures.

The condition was first highlighted on TV in a 1989 BBC documentary entitled John’s Not Mad.

Film makers followed John Davidson, of Galashiels in the Scottish Borders, as he spat and swore at family, friends and strangers.

It was the first time most people had heard of the uncontrollable “swearing disease”. A decade later, the BBC went back to film John, who is now 34, to see how he had coped while growing up.

Manchester United goalkeeper Tim Howard, 27, also has the condition.

And it has been highlighted in the telly hit Shameless by actor Jack Deam, 33, who plays Tourette’s sufferer Marty.

news@dailystar.co.uk

www.dailystar.co.uk (http://www.dailystar.co.uk)

Not a good idea for the reason given... if this guy is just in to be laughed at.

Having said that he would probably end up winning.

lily.
13-03-2006, 09:20 AM
That's just wrong on so many levels!

BigSister
13-03-2006, 10:01 AM
I know Stropz! if the reason is to be laughed at:nono:

lily.
13-03-2006, 10:23 AM
That's obviously the intention by the C4 people. They are crossing the line of decency using someone with an illness for entertainment purposes. What next? Grotesquely disfigured people?

Fangz
13-03-2006, 12:38 PM
If C4 wanted them to go on to raise awareness of the condition, and show that the people who have it are just like the rest of us, that would be fantastic.

However, if this is true, I doubt they've been put in there as anything more than someone to laugh at and a nice little earner for C4.:mad:

cc100
13-03-2006, 08:41 PM
One word: exploitation.

Though the guy in Shameless does make me chuckle.

Corkie
13-03-2006, 09:13 PM
oh yesh the guy in shamless is funny but not cos of his tourette's cos of his charcater

EugeneSully
13-03-2006, 09:15 PM
people with tourette's can get away with murder as the condition is to blame. its blaspheme to put a sufferer in the house.

aran
14-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Its such a bad idea!! what happens when he leaves? will he get help? will people take the mick?

Kore
14-03-2006, 01:50 PM
they will be cutting the sound all the time :(

cc100
14-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Yeah, they wont be able to show much live coverage.

I dont believe the story for a second though.

Weve had many of these stories over the years such as twins, nuns etc. But they are never true.

Fangz
14-03-2006, 09:25 PM
It would be quite funny to put a strict nun in along with somone like Lesley BB6, though.

Siouxsie
15-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Cruel :rolleyes:

dogs
16-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Not nice

No1MakosiFan
19-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Stropz

Why is that, i dont see why a tourette sufferer could not enter the house.

It must be terrible to have condition as one of my closest school pals had Tourettes, its hard to get used to but you get used to it.

But if a tourettes sufferer goes into the house, i say good luck to them. It not a topic to be laughed at.

chick
19-03-2006, 11:25 PM
This would be a very bad idea and not nice ,people will look to take the mick.

lily.
20-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by BBFanatic
Originally posted by Stropz

Why is that, i dont see why a tourette sufferer could not enter the house.

It must be terrible to have condition as one of my closest school pals had Tourettes, its hard to get used to but you get used to it.

But if a tourettes sufferer goes into the house, i say good luck to them. It not a topic to be laughed at.

Are you really naïve enough to think that Big Brother producers are putting him in to raise awareness of his condition? They have one agenda: ratings!

The only reason they are considering putting him into the house is so that people can tune in and laugh at his random outbursts. Personally I think its exploitation and I don’t find it particularly funny or entertaining. However, I am sure some people will find it highly amusing.

This is why I say it is wrong on so many levels. I’m sure Big Brother would never consider putting in a contestant who was mentally challenged, and I don’t think this is any different.

Also there is the possibility that Big Brother never intended for this guy to get in, but knew that by putting him through to the next audition stage, it would create huge hype/publicity for the show, which it did. Most of the papers have covered the story.

Just a thought from a cynical mind :thumbs:

cc100
20-03-2006, 07:39 PM
I agree Stropz- Id be very surprised if he was to go in. Its all hype.

LargeAndInCharge
06-05-2006, 04:32 PM
i wouldnt risk it!!

BBLB
06-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Its from the star so i think we can dismiss this as rubbish.
But if this were to be true then id be very much againest it,
Look at this quote again

They must make sure the other people don’t gang up on him or let him become the focus of negative attention.”

That is ridiculous,big brother has constantly had ganging up sessions and if this guy is some arrogant nasty person should he be given no negative attention in highlight shows?
On the more selfish side i want to enjoy live coverage without train noises and birds whistling every few minuites.
That may make me sound bad but at least im being honest about it.

blogbrother
08-05-2006, 12:11 AM
I read about this supposed housemate back in March I think... The story is consistent... But it could just be some random arse person who who saw his at the audtition and made some money by telling the papers that he was deffo in...

Kore
08-05-2006, 02:04 AM
but its the guy with tourettes decision to go on there. if thats the case then he wants all the fame.

id never laugh at someone with tourettes tho .

Sticks
08-05-2006, 03:58 PM
If ithis is the case then it is just like a return to the 19th century where the insane were exhibited off at Bedlam to the upper classes for profit. :bored:

cc100
08-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Sticks
If ithis is the case then it is just like a return to the 19th century where the insane were exhibited off at Bedlam to the upper classes for profit. :bored:

I have to agree with Kore- he is not being forced into this (if true), and he would have been made aware of the pitfalls off BB, as all contestants are.

James
14-05-2006, 10:05 PM
14 May 2006
I'M *!*!* PETE
EXCLUSIVE BB bosses make offer to Edmonds as rocker joins line-up
By Melanie Swan

AN outrageous rock singer who is already hot favourite to win the new Big Brother series.

Perfect Peter is afflicted by Tourette's syndrome which means he can't help blurting out swear words and insults.

Big Brother producers think he'll make compulsive viewing - and infuriate the other housemates with his obscene outbursts.

Already well known in his home town of Brighton, 24-year-old Peter is lead singer with flamboyant glam-rock band Daddy Fantastic. A source said: "He loves to dress up. He'll be like this year's Pete Burns.

"He has a foul mouth and is a loose cannon. He'll certainly add some fireworks to the house.

"It's tough to deal with someone who has Tourette's if you're not used to it, so the housemates will face their first challenge just getting used to him, and his swearing and abuse. He's got a huge personality and loves wearing wigs and women's blouses when he's on stage, as well as his tight trousers and animal print clothes.

"His make-up makes Pete Burns look normal though. He often looks like a 1970s glam-rock throwback or Adam Ant. He's the perfect eccentric housemate."

Daddy Fantastic includes four stunning pole dancers, one of whom is Peter's girlfriend Gemma. There's also a drummer who dresses up as a giant wasp and a guitarist and bass player in full clown make-up.

www.people.co.uk (http://www.people.co.uk/news/news/tm_objectid=17075691%26method=full%26siteid=93463-name_page.html)

Eugene(BB6)!
15-05-2006, 07:00 PM
I do not agree with the fact that a Torette's sufferer is in BB. This will infuriate other housemates and on BB Live on E4, there will be gaps of no sound.
However, they could not really say "Sorry mate, you ahve tourette's, we dont want you."

krissybabe06
15-05-2006, 09:05 PM
i agree they couldnt! definately, hey youre from sunderland you alright \?

JakeyBoy
16-05-2006, 08:45 AM
If its to bag him, thats dumb but I think it would be quite amusing

Eugene(BB6)!
16-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Yeh Krissy bae im from sunderland! Why?

Sidrat2006
16-05-2006, 05:52 PM
The original source being from what the Star? or something like that, means it's probably nonsense rubbish to sell extra copies of the paper.

Cynical attempt to jump on the popularity of BB and of course it's easy column inches to fill in a dirt rag.

Really people know your sources before you start believing them!!!

Eugene(BB6)!
16-05-2006, 06:05 PM
I have read that in another newspaper, The Mirror or the Sunday people.