PDA

View Full Version : Farewell to Jimmy Johnstone

BB-Rocks
17-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Fond farewell to Celtic's number 7
17 March 2006 18:00

Footballing legends and ordinary fans today came together for the funeral of Jimmy Johnstone. The player, voted the Greatest Ever Celt by supporters, died on Monday after a long battle with illness. Prominent among the mourners were Jimmy's teammates the Lisbon Lions. As his cortège travelled past Celtic Park, the supporters lined the streets to bid him farewell.

Age may have wearied some of the Lisbon Lions, but there was a time they bestrode the football fields of Scotland and of Europe. Today they gathered to say farewell to a prince among them.They were not alone. Footballing greats came to pay homage.

Former Celtic manager Martin O'Neill said: "He bears a big legacy, no doubt about it, a member of the fantastic team that won, first British side to win the European Cup in '67 so it's a big day not only for Celtic but obviously for Scotland."

It was also a big day for the fans, who payed respect in their thousands. Jimmy Johnstone was of them and throughout his life remained among them. There were those who saw him, those who had heard of him and those who aspired to be as good as him.

At the funeral mass the widespread sadness of his passing was remembered.

Bishop Joseph Devine said: "It was very easy to sense a kind of tidal wave of sorrow across the land when people began to realise that he had died. Everyone was sad at the passing of the greatest ever Celtic player."

But amidst the sorrow, there was laughter at the memories and the stories.

Lisbon Lion Billy McNeill said: "The first time I laid eyes on Jimmy Johnstone it was whilst playing in a first team game at Celtic Park as a young player and when the ball went behind the goals at the Rangers end at Celtic Park this wee ballboy with a mass of red curly hair used to get the ball and start flicking it out. He was flicking it up 20 - 30 times. The team wasn't particularly sparkling then, not as good as the team today. We Neil Mauchin saw him and shouted: "quick get that ball off that wee fella before he embarrasses us further"!

Family friend Willie Haughey said: "Can I read a telegramme that the family received this morning that would have meant so much to jimmy? It's actually from his hero, it says "On behalf of all the members of this club, our deepest condolences at the death of Jimmy Johnstone... "from Alfredo Di Stefano and everyone at Real Madrid."

Then his former teammates helped carry his coffin for the beginning of its journey of tribute to Celtic Park.

Lisbon Lion Tommy Gemmell said: "The tribute to Jinky at Celtic Park is out of this world, absolutely fantastic what the fans have done,superb and thoroughly deserves it as well."

Outside the fans applauded Jimmy Johnstone, a quintessentially Scottish hero.

http://www.scotlandtoday.scottishtv.co.uk/content/default.asp?page=s1_1_1&newsid=10886

x-heather-x
17-03-2006, 10:28 PM
I think its a shame he's gone!!!

Lord Of The Wing:bawling:

R.I.P Jinky!!!

:blush2:YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!!!:blush2:

BB-Rocks
17-03-2006, 10:30 PM
I wanted to go to Celtic Park today, but i wasn't allowed:sad:
Did you see the enws. Celtic Park was mopped. Celtic scarfs getting thrown at the car and everything

x-heather-x
17-03-2006, 10:38 PM
I was wanting to go to but i wasnt allowed!!!:(...I think it was really nice of all the people tht turned up tho coz people came all the way from Ireland and everything! And I think itwas nice tht he was buried in his Lisbon Lion suit!

Siouxsie
18-03-2006, 08:25 AM
I dont really follow scottish football but i have heard of him .Thats a shame isnt it so sad.

cc100
18-03-2006, 08:10 PM
If he had been English or Brazilian, he would be have been lauded as one of the best ever.

x-heather-x
19-03-2006, 01:36 AM
He was one of the best ever in most of scotland's opinion.

cc100
19-03-2006, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by x-heather-x
He was one of the best ever in most of scotland's opinion.

Sure, but around the world he's not, which is of course wrong.