PDA

View Full Version : Discovering someone's a smoker

Z
09-11-2010, 02:58 PM
This is a phenomenon I've noticed recently; I find it applies especially to celebrities but also to people I'm acquainted with; do you find it weird to discover someone's a smoker? I was a bit surprised/disappointed to discover that Cheryl Cole and Simon Cowell were smokers, I think it just shocks me because you obviously don't see them smoking when they're on TV, but particularly with Cheryl I always assumed she was a non-smoker because it seems to me to be a contradiction that popstars - who are physically fit from the dance routines - should then turn out to be smokers. Then, going to people you know in real life, do you get taken aback to find out people are smokers? I was disappointed when some of my friends just suddenly became heavy smokers; and then the other day I was chatting to some friends from my course after a lecture and one of them started smoking. I just find it really weird; it obviously doesn't change my perception of them as a person, but it definitely weirds me out a bit. Anyone else get this?!

Niamh.
09-11-2010, 02:59 PM
No as I am a smoker

Vicky.
09-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Nope, I dont feel shocked. And I dont think any different of them when i find out :/

Its not really a big thing tbh

LeatherTrumpet
09-11-2010, 03:03 PM
shocked

like i was when neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve admitted that she sucks smoke into her pristine milf body..

Niamh.
09-11-2010, 03:03 PM
shocked

like i was when neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve admitted that she sucks smoke into her pristine milf body..

:laugh2:

Z
09-11-2010, 03:04 PM
To clarify; if I met someone and they were smoking, I would think nothing of it - but if I've known someone, for example from my course at Uni, for a year and a half; and then just discover they're a smoker - I find it weird.

Ramsay
09-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Nope, I dont feel shocked. And I dont think any different of them when i find out :/

Its not really a big thing tbh

yeah its not that big a thing really
people dont get shocked when they find out someone drinks alchohol..dunno why its any different if its with smoking

Ramsay
09-11-2010, 03:06 PM
To clarify; if I met someone and they were smoking, I would think nothing of it - but if I've known someone, for example from my course at Uni, for a year and a half; and then just discover they're a smoker - I find it weird.

oh yeah im like that too
its like..''since when have you smoked???'' lol

Vicky.
09-11-2010, 03:06 PM

Would you be shocked if you found out after a year or so of knowing someone that they drank?

Z
09-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Would you be shocked if you found out after a year or so of knowing someone that they drank?

No, because I drink, I find it more surprising that people don't drink haha. I think I find it shocking because I don't smoke; I can't imagine any smokers would find it shocking to discover someone they knew was a smoker.

Z
09-11-2010, 03:10 PM
oh yeah im like that too

Yeah that's what I'm like haha.

Vicky.
09-11-2010, 03:10 PM
No, because I drink, I find it more surprising that people don't drink haha. I think I find it shocking because I don't smoke; I can't imagine any smokers would find it shocking to discover someone they knew was a smoker.

Hmm maybe.

And yes, I do actually get quite shocked when I find out people (especially my age) dont drink :laugh2:

LeatherTrumpet
09-11-2010, 03:15 PM

drank?

is that a word?

Vicky.
09-11-2010, 03:16 PM
drank?

is that a word?

It is.

arista
09-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Zee Kiss them
then you will know if they are a Walking Death Wish.

Buy a 2nd hand CD
Sniff it.
Crikey - what a stench of smoke.

Sign Of The Times.

MTVN
09-11-2010, 03:19 PM
I was quite surprised Cheryl smokes, although she does lead quite a stressful life I suppose.

It's never really bothered me, several of my friends smoke regularly, although yeah, if you've known someone for a while and then you suddenly see them light up it can get a bit of getting used to.

LeatherTrumpet
09-11-2010, 03:25 PM
I was quite surprised Cheryl smokes, although she does lead quite a stressful life I suppose.

It's never really bothered me, several of my friends smoke regularly, although yeah, if you've known someone for a while and then you suddenly see them light up it can get a bit of getting used to.

nicotine is not a stress reliever, if anything it increases stress in the body. alcohol is a stress reliever as it is depressive.

Angus
09-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Nothing worse than the smoking mafia who condemn others for following their own free will whilst, no doubt, filling their own bodies with all sorts of questionable substances ranging from alcohol, to fat and additive filled foods, to drugs and other chemically enhanced products. Perhaps it's just human nature for people to need someone or something to look down on in order to enhance their own ego.

The most hypocritical anti-smokers think nothing of getting into their cars and polluting the air I have to breathe, so their position on their high horses sneering down at othes is somewhat hypocritical.

How about just living and let live? By the way I'm a non smoker.

Patrick
09-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Until I began smoking it really really knocked me back to find it out about mates and such.

It still does regarding hot girls, You could be like walking with them at night and next thing they take out a fag and go 'Want One?' and it's like 'WTF SINCE WHEN DID YOU SMOKE BABE!'

And then I kind of feel like, they aren't the person I thought they were.

It changes my opinion on girls when they say it, I couldn't give a ***** when lads do it though.

No as I am a smoker

:shocked::shocked::shocked:

Smithy
09-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Yea, I'm the same :L

Smithy
09-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Until I began smoking

:shocked:

You're like, 14!!

Callum
09-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Yes it does sometimes shock me when I find out people I know or who are in the public eye smoke. When I started college and went on my first class trip I was quite shocked to see how many of the class smoked, don't really know why. Some people I just knew from first glance that they would probably smoke but there were a few who I was surprised about. It's the same when I saw an old friend smoking the other week, I never knew she smoked so was really shocked because I've known her all throughout high school, she said she doesn't smoke much but still it came as a shock to me.

Niamh.
09-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Until I began smoking it really really knocked me back to find it out about mates and such.

It still does regarding hot girls, You could be like walking with them at night and next thing they take out a fag and go 'Want One?' and it's like 'WTF SINCE WHEN DID YOU SMOKE BABE!'

And then I kind of feel like, they aren't the person I thought they were.

It changes my opinion on girls when they say it, I couldn't give a ***** when lads do it though.

:shocked::shocked::shocked:

why is that surprising?

Braden
09-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I found it weird when someone posted the picture of him smoking. And I had no idea about Cheryl.

Captain.Remy
09-11-2010, 04:38 PM
I am a smoker so it doesn't shock me except for a very, very few people I really didn't expect them too or because they're too young (yet I started at 16)

I honestly see why it can make people feel uncomfortable or weird. Smoking is seen as something bad or "gangster" style but no, we're not all robbers, murderers or ex-prisoners. :hugesmile:

Patrick
09-11-2010, 04:41 PM
why is that surprising?

I don't know lol

I didn't think you would for some reason but I don't think any less of you, probably because I don't fancy you... well not that there's anything wrong with you.. you're married and I'm like abit young.. and that, but you know what I mean.

rofl :joker:

:shocked:

You're like, 14!!

I seen a first year [like 12 years old] today smoke outside the school pmsl.

LeatherTrumpet
09-11-2010, 04:46 PM
It is hard for a sub 30 year old to see what the problems are. Only with age does one see the effect on the skin, the pathetic reliance, the major health problems and death that is associated with smoking.

if you smoke. stop.

That will be the single best piece of advice you will ever receive.

Callum
09-11-2010, 04:48 PM
I seen a first year [like 12 years old] today smoke outside the school pmsl.

It's sad how young smokers are now.

Twilight
10-11-2010, 12:37 AM
No, i don't care, lol.

Iceman
10-11-2010, 12:39 AM
oh yeah im like that too

haha I'm hiding a smoke in your sig!!!!!!! Just copped that there!

Shaun
10-11-2010, 12:46 AM
I don't get the big deal [I'm not saying you're making a big deal out of it] - what DOES bug me though is those that do.

Do you really think smokers are unaware of the health risks? Let them be. There's nothing more offputting than militant non-smokers.

Iceman
10-11-2010, 12:48 AM
I don't get the big deal [I'm not saying you're making a big deal out of it] - what DOES bug me though is those that do.

Do you really think smokers are unaware of the health risks? Let them be. There's nothing more offputting than militant non-smokers.

You had better run, I saw a few of them around here today, up on their high horses...... you know they actually trie to point out smoking is bad for you.......I literally had to sit down that news was shocking, ****ing twats

Jords
10-11-2010, 12:52 AM
Im just like 'Ohhh I never knew' then dont care after. Spose Im just used to smoke with my parents smoking xD

Mystic Mock
10-11-2010, 12:53 AM
im not shocked when people smoke and i dont think smoking should be illegal either,but i want my mom to see sense by herself and stop smoking but i dont think it will ever happen.:(

Captain.Remy
10-11-2010, 05:14 AM
You had better run, I saw a few of them around here today, up on their high horses...... you know they actually trie to point out smoking is bad for you.......I literally had to sit down that news was shocking, ****ing twats

I do the same sometimes. When people tell me "you know it's bad right?", I'm like "Oh noooooo my life is over are you kidding me ? this is the end for me blablablabla....." :joker:

Get over yourselves !