PDA

View Full Version : Popstars: The Rivals

just me
30-07-2002, 12:02 AM
:colour:Davina will be presenting it!!!!!!!!!!:colour:

Davina McCall and Geri Halliwell join Popstars 2

Geri Halliwell, Pete Waterman and Louis Walsh are to be the judges for the new series of Popstars.

Davina McCall will front Popstars: The Rivals, which will see a girl band and a boy band battling it out for a number one chart hit.

Louis, best known for managing bands like Boyzone and Westlife, will join Pete and Geri judging thousands of hopefuls at auditions in London, Manchester and Glasgow, while Davina brings viewers behind-the-scenes action.

They will then pick a shortlist of ten girls and ten boys who will live together Big Brother-style in two neighbouring houses.

Viewers will then vote to evict a girl and a boy each week until they settle on the final band line-up.

The show is scheduled to be broadcast on ITV1 this autumn.
(From 'Orange Today')

Amy
30-07-2002, 08:07 PM
I can't wait to watch this especially now that Davina's going to be helping host the show :thumbs: It was a very good idea to choose Davina but it will be strange to see her on popstars i'm so used to her being on bb :wavey:

BigSister
30-07-2002, 08:12 PM
Im glad Davina is presenting it

It will be good to see pete back after Pop idol

And a survey who do u think wll win boys or girls. I think Boys because most girls ring up but you never know after kate

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Oldgit
31-07-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by BigSister
Im glad Davina is presenting it

It will be good to see pete back after Pop idol

And a survey who do u think wll win boys or girls. I think Boys because most girls ring up but you never know after kate

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

It's all getting a bit much now. People with no real talent being coached to sing just because they look good.

I'm glad that Darius didn't sign for Simon Cowell and is going to play "real" music. I'm getting fed up with boy bands, girl bands, rappers, electricians, remixers, The Beatles would not have got past first base in these days of hype and tripe!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

finch
31-07-2002, 09:42 PM
Sounds similar to that BBC thing Fame Academy

just me
09-08-2002, 12:10 AM
For anybody who wants to go to the open audition (I thought there wasn't going to be any open auditions, that they were being invited for interviews? Can't have had enough good applicants!), it is at Wembley Conference Centre on Friday 9th August from 8:30 (ages 16-24).

Good Luck if anyone's interested!!!

:dazzler: :dance:

Kaz
09-08-2002, 08:46 AM
More information on the format of Popstars 2 is reported in today's Sun Online - click this link (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2002361865,00.html) for details.

If it's true, it sounds very much like Popstars meets Big Brother! :shocked:

tiptop
28-08-2002, 10:00 AM
They are currently filming it now- i know someone who is in it and she has got down to the last 30 girls - competition is very tough this time

Mark
28-08-2002, 10:23 AM
Hey Tip Top - welcome to ThisisBigBrother.com!

Let us know how your friend does! Whats her name so we can all vote for her - hehe :spin2:

Enjoy posting!

- Mark :spin:

Maggie
28-08-2002, 02:51 PM
My 16 year old niece went to the Manchester one, to keep her friend company, they were there from 4 am, she was asked to sing, and had a go :dazzler:

Geri, said she was cute :blush:

Pete Waterman asked her to go to the next one the folllowing day, telling her she had potental but next time sing to them not the ceiling and to open her eyes :blush: , she said, afterwards there was a big mike above her head, so she looked up to sing. :love:

She would'nt go to the next one saying she was too tired, and went to bed :sleep: After all it was in Glasgow.

Her friend never got through and I can't wait to see if they show her in the new series, she has a lovely voice. :dazzler: :love: :dazzler:

kaphc
28-08-2002, 06:21 PM
Wow! Insider news!

Thanx discolady, I have always wondered what these sort of things were like once you were in front of the panel.

Your 16-year-old niece must be very trendy and lovely to be asked to go for it - and she'll always be able to say she had a go!

:dazzler: :dazzler:

tiptop
29-08-2002, 11:01 AM
Hey my sister has got down to the last 20!!

LEE
29-08-2002, 11:24 AM
That's brilliant news tiptop. You must let us know if she gets to the final 10.

Welcome to the forum btw :cat:

:flower:

BigSister
29-08-2002, 01:54 PM
Well done Tiptop and welcome

Unlucky Discolady but your niece did good to get to the next day I wonder if they will show her

tiptop
29-08-2002, 02:13 PM
she says she isnt as confident today as she is 24 and the oldest girl left - she thinks that the younger ones will get picked. Most of the girls left are between 16 and 18 but you just never know! She did well last year to get down to the final 50 in Pop Idol

Im so nervous!!!

just me
01-09-2002, 12:15 AM
Wish her 'Good Luck' from us tiptop!

Starts next Saturday!!! :spin:

:dance: :dazzler: :dance: :dazzler: :dance: :dazzler:

Amy
04-09-2002, 12:55 PM
Starts at 7:15pm on Saturday :hello: :hello: :hello:
I just hope the groups turn out better than Hearsay, i am not that keen on hearsay :wavey:

Tiptop i'm glad your sister is doing so well :thumbs: :wavey:

BigSister
04-09-2002, 02:38 PM
I am watching this

I will keep a eye out for your sister tiptop and It says we vote on the final 20 so if that is true we should all vote for her

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

tiptop
05-09-2002, 01:11 PM
She got down to the final 20 girls but you vote for the final 10 girls - still she did really well - look out for her, her name is Kerry

Also did you know Hayley Evetts is presenting behind the scenes!

popstars_rivals
05-09-2002, 01:29 PM
i was a finalist on the show in london and i basically think that yes there was loads of talented people ther but the showmis 1 big fix after seeing ppl be knocjked out who deserved to get through i was discusesed anyway watch out 4 me chris tolley sat 7.15

popstars_rivals
05-09-2002, 01:30 PM
so whos kerry do i know u..... welldone for gettin that far i only managed last 43 lads....well c u in the charts

BigSister
05-09-2002, 03:25 PM
Good Luck Kerry

And bad luck Popstars rivals unlucky :bawling:

Kaz
06-09-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by tiptop
Also did you know Hayley Evetts is presenting behind the scenes!

Hi tiptop. :wavey: I didn't know that before, but it's now been confirmed in the following article from Ananova:

Hayley and Dane to front 'Popstars: The Rivals'

Pop Idol finalist Hayley Evetts is to team up with Dane Bowers to present TV coverage of Popstars: The Rivals. The pair will front digital channel ITV2's programme Popstars: The Rivals Extra when the series begins on Saturday.

Evetts made it to the last five on Pop Idol and has since helped out on ITV1's This Morning. She said: "Having been involved in Popstars and Pop Idol, I think I have a unique insight into this fantastic event and can help ease some of the singers' tensions." "Being behind the scenes this time round, I hope to give the performers some sound advice, or a shoulder to cry on," she added.

As the series progresses viewers will see interviews with the lucky final few as they live together, as well as video diaries in which they talk about their hopes and fears.

Davina McCall will present coverage on the ITV1 version of the show.

:dance:

Amy
08-09-2002, 10:25 AM
I enjoyed the show last night :thumbs: The judges are a lot harsher than the first popstars show!
What were those twins like, that song did make me laugh however and their mum wrote it :shocked: :laugh: :laugh:

Mairi
08-09-2002, 12:45 PM
I watched the show last night and thought Davina did really well in her role of calming people down and being a shoulder to cry on.

Did anyone see the row between Pete Waterman and the other two panel members over whether one of the lads should be invited back or not? Pete kept on saying no and the others were saying yes. It went on for absolutely ages. Very funny for us but not funny at all for the poor lad who had to sit it out and wait for their decision. Glad to say that he got through in the end but I thought Pete would NEVER give in.

:colour:

BigSister
08-09-2002, 04:56 PM
I watched this and I agree that the Judges are very harsh

I saw those 2 sisters lol

I really enjoyed it

bonzobravo
08-09-2002, 05:01 PM
I never saw any of it, but must say Hayley on Pop Idol last year was very beautiful, and Will was quite tasty (well not that I have literally tasted him) but one can dream!

tiptop
09-09-2002, 02:59 PM
I loved those two sisters and the guy doing his own interpretation of Kiss Kiss - very funny!!

My sister (Kerry) was speaking on it briefly but it hasnt shown her singing or dancing yet, I am hoping that seeing as she got down to the final 20 girls they will show a lot more of her in the weeks to come. She is going to keep on trying though - Final 50 in Pop Idol last year, final 20 in Popstars this year - next year has to be her year surely!!
:dazzler:

Romantic Old Bird
09-09-2002, 05:36 PM
tiptop, I wish her every success. Takes a lot of courage to have a go at these things.

If I wasn't so crippled with shyness, I'd have been a superstar diva. Defo!

BBCELEB
09-09-2002, 06:01 PM
well going a little off topic i auditioned for a chids programme once and got to the final 15, it was on CBBC and they choose 9 to make there own prgramme, a lot of work for nothing! oh well!

BigSister
14-10-2002, 08:05 PM
Well what do you think of the final 10 girls and boys

I say the tension was bad I mean Oh My God:)

Amy
14-10-2002, 09:45 PM
Now i have to say i prefer Popstars to Fame Acadmey and saturday night's show was why i prefer it ! Excellent and they all did very well :)

susieq
15-10-2002, 12:51 AM
I thought Saturday's show was excellent. My faves were Daniel and Peter and I felt so sorry for Andrew. It was very nervewracking and I don't know how he sang again after being voted off!! That took some bottle.

Amy
15-10-2002, 10:27 AM
Found this on digital spy it looks like Nicola Roberts is the replacement :)
click here (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/popstars/displayarticle.php?id=9352)

tiptop
18-10-2002, 04:46 PM
my predictions for final bands -

girls - Nadine, Javine, Lynsey, Sarah and Emma

my favourites however are -

Nadine (superb voice), Javine (excellent), Cheryl (sooo beautiful) , Kimberly (good all rounder)and Aimee (good all rounder)

boys - Peter, Daniel, Anton, Matt and Jamie

my favs - Daniel, Nikk and the northern irish guy

Amy
19-10-2002, 10:30 PM
Here's your update on Popstars click here (http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_693228.html?menu=)

:spin2:

Kaz
20-10-2002, 04:52 PM
I was VERY disappointed in the girls' performances last night, except the last one - Javine - who was excellent.

The others ranged from average to downright awful - most went off key on numerous occasions. :bawling:

The judges are more than useless - not even Pete Waterman is telling the truth. Much as I dislike Simon Cowell, at least he spoke his mind - and he would have ripped most of those performances to shreds ........... deservedly so IMHO.

Apart from Javine, I don't think any of these girls would have made the final 50 of Pop Idol, never mind the final 10.

Come on girls - pull your socks up. Definitely 'need to do better'. :dance:

Amy
20-10-2002, 05:02 PM
I agree with you Kaz the boys are a lot better than the girls!! I just hope they improve now that they are over the first show nerves when they next sing :spin2:

BusyBee
20-10-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Kaz

I was VERY disappointed in the girls' performances last night, except the last one - Javine - who was excellent.

How right you are the girls apart from Javine are rubbish. The boys will definitely win with regard to total sales. What worried me last night was when the girl who lost, I think it was Lyndsey, said that she hadnt chosen the song which all the judges had said she shouldnt have sung. Is there a hidden agenda???? What worries me is are the final five going to be a good mix - the public are not voting for a group they are voting for the best singers.

BigSister
20-10-2002, 05:54 PM
I thought Javine sang very well and that i was surprised when Lynsey said she didnt choose the song,

:elephant::elephant::elephant::elephant:

Kaz
20-10-2002, 06:27 PM
It was very unfair on Lynsey if she was made to sing that song by 'whoever' - also, why on earth was she wearing shoes two sizes too big for her? If they didn't fit, surely she could have worn something else?

Two other comparisons I've made between the boys and the girls.

1. Last week the boys were all dressed very similarly in black, which made you concentrate more on their singing and less on what they were wearing. The girls were all dressed very differently this week, some outfits I liked and some I didn't.

2. Unless it was my imagination, :shocked: I could have sworn that the boys provided excellent backing vocals for each others' performances, which gave an idea as to how their voices would blend together. However, every girl sang completely solo.

I agree with you, BusyBee - it's very difficult given the current format to gauge whether the voices of the final people chosen for the groups will actually gel. You could have 5 excellent singers (well the boys anyway!) but they simply don't sound good together. :dazzler:

WILDCHILD
20-10-2002, 11:58 PM
I was quite disappointed in last nights show - I had been looking forward to it all week and it was a bit of a let down.
How that Sarah stayed 0ver Lindsay is beyond me -I was convinced that Sarah was out of there - she was completely out of tune!
Javina was good and Nadine but the others are going to have to step up a level if they are to make the final band!:dance::colour::dance:

tiptop
21-10-2002, 11:42 AM
Emma Beard was appalling - poor Linzi

Amy
25-10-2002, 11:43 AM
Two of the lads will go tomorrow night :bawling: So, if they sing like they did the last time they preformed it will be a difficult vote

:wavey:

tiptop
25-10-2002, 11:57 AM
I have a feeling that Nikk might be one of the ones to go. I really like him and think he's very talented (i remember him from Pop Idol) but just because he is not one of the best looking i think he'll loose votes.

:bawling:

I'll vote for him though!!:thumbs:

kesandkel
26-10-2002, 09:26 PM
this is a top show. we are voting for matt, daniel, chris, jamie and anton. Bring it on boys! good luck!!!!!!!!!

LEE
26-10-2002, 09:30 PM
Hi kesandkel :cat: and welcome to TiBB.

I think all of the boys are good - much more so than the girls - and I'm really not sure who to vote for. :conf:

:flower:

Lea+Dan
26-10-2002, 09:31 PM
:dance: Hiya!Good look 2 all d boys...especially Daniel, Jamie, Matt and Chris:joker:

CHRIS LOOKS LIKE OUR COUSIN!:thumbs:
:) wb

Lea+Dan
26-10-2002, 09:34 PM
:bawling::blush::hugesmile::cat::conf::elephant::s hocked::dance::thumbs::hello::xyxwave::wavey::joke r::nono:hiya! LOVE FROM LEANNE AND DANIEL:devil::sleep::spin2::mad::dazzler::love::la ugh::flower::bouncy::colour::sleep:

kesandkel
26-10-2002, 09:38 PM
hiya!

Kirk Angel
26-10-2002, 10:01 PM
here we go this is it, chris and robbie jackson going out

Kirk Angel
26-10-2002, 10:08 PM
what the **** is peter on about?? this is fixed and truing to make it good tv by this

Mark
26-10-2002, 10:12 PM
hmmm very strange...

Only peter left, but they said two people were going to... :conf::conf:

- Mark

ps. Mind the language please Kirk Angel

Kirk Angel
26-10-2002, 10:17 PM
:xyxwave::xyxwave::xyxwave::xyxwave::xyxwave::xyxw ave::xyxwave::xyxwave: to:-

peter and robbie jackson

BusyBee
26-10-2002, 10:29 PM
Whats gone wrong with the vetting process - someone surely is not doing their job correctly.
:shocked::shocked:

How come they arent putting in a replacement - after all Nicola Roberts got put in last week for the girls. This is the problem when you put age limits on people. Surely age should not be taken into account - its talent and both the people who have left had plenty of that. After all as Pete says they arent looking for girl / boy bands but vocal harmony groups
:sleep::sleep

Personally I thought Chris should have gone rather than Nikk.

Wonder if we'll have a Liberty X scenerio with those who dont get in.

Poor Davina she looked completely shattered :bawling::bawling::

sweetlittlesara
26-10-2002, 10:29 PM
I love jamie, he was soo cute when he was crying, i am now watching pop stars the rivals extra and everyone seems to be crying :bawling:

BusyBee
26-10-2002, 10:39 PM
Just how much did Pete Waterman know - reading between the lines more than he is letting on. "He offered to walk out the show without performing tonight" just said by Pete Waterman - so what is going on - it was obviously known before the show started. Good publicity for the show to do it half way through. I feel sorry for the lad, but what is going to happen next:shocked::shocked:

Amy
26-10-2002, 11:34 PM
What a night on popstars tonight i couldn't stop crying BLESS THEM ALL! I think ALL the lads are very good :thumbs::hello::thumbs:

bigbrofan
27-10-2002, 02:03 AM
I missed the 9:00 show I was in the bath and I missed all the excitement about peter going :mad:

BigSister
27-10-2002, 10:02 AM
I couldnt belive last night Oh My God

Nikk went and Peter made that confession:shocked:

I dont know who is going to be in final band now

LEE
27-10-2002, 10:23 AM
Just how much did Pete Waterman know
Apparently Peter went to see Pete Waterman just before the show started and told him that he was 2 months too old and that he was going to drop out before the show started. Pete Waterman says he hadn't known anything before this stage and persuaded Peter to stay and sing because he thought it would disturb the other lads to much if they found out before they had to perform.

I have a huge amount of sympathy for Peter and can understand how everything can snowball and get out of hand.

He had a dream and he didn’t find out until he got to the audition that he was too old. I’m sure that he didn’t really expect to get through, most people are not arrogant enough to turn up and expect to go all the way, and he probably thought he might as well sing and get the experience and some comments from the judges.

Things got out of hand and he probably should have dropped out earlier, but all of us do things that we shouldn’t and get ourselves into situations its hard to get out of, and I really understand how he just went with the flow, and the longer it went on the more difficult it became to own up. He was incredibly brave to stand up in front of the nation last night and say what he did and I really respect him for having the courage to do it.

He has a huge amount of talent and I hope that either Pete or Louis help him on his way to a solo career and I hope that he won’t get a backlash because of what has happened on Popstars, I can just see the crueler elements of the tabloid press making a real meal out of this and putting the knife in.

He comes across as a genuinely lovely, really talented, nice guy and I for one think he deserves to go far.

Romantic Old Bird
27-10-2002, 11:26 AM
I saw this for the first time in weeks last night. I had really lost the plot in between.

I am afraid I didn't hear any massive talent last night at all. Peter seems a competant singer, but not really magical.

The whole thing was obviously very emotive last night, but you know I don't think these bands have much of a chance in the long term. the individual exposure is probably more valuable.

I have some sympathy with Chris ? from Coldplay on his opinion on these manufactured bands.

The drama of seeing them fight for survival each week is fascinating, but the end result for the winners is very uncertain.

finch
27-10-2002, 06:11 PM
No, He went to Pete Waterman in between the live show and the result

sweetlittlesara
27-10-2002, 06:18 PM
He couldnt have gone to pete between the live show and the result because then how would he have offered not to perform??

:conf:

bananarama
28-10-2002, 03:34 PM
Thast show...What a show.What a load of emotional twaddle stuff and nonesense it was. There is no talent worth speaking of. Just a bunch of "bath tub singers" How on earth any of them got onto TV has got to be the eighth wonder of the world. The "off" button is the best thing on telly at the moment.:laugh:

finch
28-10-2002, 09:56 PM
No he was offering not to sing in the results show and just have left.