PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother to return to Australian TV?

lukee
06-06-2011, 11:45 AM
Big Brother is rumoured to be returning to Australian television screens.

The reality fly-on-the-wall TV show, which used to be presented by radio presenting duo Kyle Sandilands and Jackie O, was axed in 2008 after poor viewer ratings on its eighth season.

Now industry insiders have revealed that television bosses are considering bringing the show back to air on Channel Ten's new digital youth channel Eleven.

One source told The Daily Telegraph: "It is a perfect fit for Eleven, and Ten believes there is still an audience for this sort of entertainment. There's also that niggling feeling that perhaps the show was axed prematurely."

Ten's head of programming David Mott admitted that he has reservations about the return of the programme, saying: "We've looked at Big Brother. I think audiences have moved on to some degree. It's a summer show for [US channel] CBS, it doesn't play in the heart of the ratings season but it's done a pretty good job for them.

"All broadcasters have looked at it. It's extremely expensive because the house no longer exists. It's not whether we're financially able to do it, it's whether tonally it's right for audiences now. It only finished up three years ago and in some respects audiences have moved on."

TV executives are now believed to be in discussions to build a new multi-million property to film the show following the demolition of the original house at Gold Coast theme park Dreamworld.

The rights to the UK version of Big Brother were recently purchased by Channel 5. The British show, which was originally broadcast on Channel 4, was first dropped from schedules in summer 2010.

From Digtel Spy

ILoveTRW
06-06-2011, 11:47 AM
unless uncut comes back with it, i couldn't give a ****

Glenn.
06-06-2011, 01:06 PM
De ja vu :joker:

Fetch The Bolt Cutters
06-06-2011, 01:08 PM
digtel spy :love:

BBfanUSA
06-06-2011, 03:21 PM
this belongs in the general bb topic i think

Hm they metioned BBUSA and CBS
could they be using our rules?

Matt
06-06-2011, 03:27 PM

...no, they're just citing BBUSA as a success story because the last series attracted the highest ratings for at least four years...

Captain.Remy
06-06-2011, 04:14 PM
That'd be the best thing EVER.

I miss BB Australia so much you have no idea.

Jords
06-06-2011, 04:18 PM
BB to regain its reign :love:

BBfanUSA
06-06-2011, 07:59 PM
...no, they're just citing BBUSA as a success story because the last series attracted the highest ratings for at least four years...

And ironically it wasn't a good season

Patrick
06-06-2011, 08:11 PM
My heart is with all those Australian Big Brother Fans, to think this was once us reading up on articles with so much hope.

Although I hate to say it - it doesn't sound like it's going to happen, especially as the house isn't there - and the way they're talking about it on that article doesn't sound promising.

Shame though.

Axe BB USA - Bring back BB AUS.

Patrick
06-06-2011, 08:18 PM

What Matt said.

Everyone knows BB AUS and BB UK are basically the same - using your rules would be shooting themselves in the foot.

BBfanUSA
06-06-2011, 10:49 PM
What Matt said.

Everyone knows BB AUS and BB UK are basically the same - using your rules would be shooting themselves in the foot.

There's a hybrid version in Africa

Hg can discuss nominations and all hg nom

Hoh can take a hg off and nom another hg

public votes to save (due to the population of some countries they evict the person who has the least amount of countries (15 seperate ones and one for the rest of africa))

lukee
07-06-2011, 02:18 PM
ive only watched the last series of this and i thought it was good

ILoveTRW
13-06-2011, 07:35 PM
just rewatched the adults only eps of BB6
Big Brother at its best

BBGermany
24-06-2011, 04:32 AM
Au has always been the second best next to the UK

Im hopeing it comes back. I have a feeling im not gonna like the new C5 era of BB
Also if it does come back they need to have FNL as well

rk3388
24-06-2011, 06:00 AM
My heart is with all those Australian Big Brother Fans, to think this was once us reading up on articles with so much hope.

Although I hate to say it - it doesn't sound like it's going to happen, especially as the house isn't there - and the way they're talking about it on that article doesn't sound promising.

Shame though.

Axe BB USA - Bring back BB AUS.

hahaa, facts are, big brother usa is not getting axed anytime soon, cant say the same about bbuk.

Its obvious that bbusa is superior because theyre attracting more and more viewers after over 10 years while the others *big brother uk and aus* are going downhill

Better tasks, more agruments, alcohol, strategizing, production value, just better in general

CharlieO
24-06-2011, 06:29 AM
It is coming back: bigbrother.com.au

Mac Hiavellian
24-06-2011, 06:32 AM
I always wanted to watch BB Aus and started downloading it til my computer died a death. It's the similar to BB UK and I remember the houses were always really big and nice

BBGermany
24-06-2011, 12:17 PM
hahaa, facts are, big brother usa is not getting axed anytime soon, cant say the same about bbuk.

Its obvious that bbusa is superior because theyre attracting more and more viewers after over 10 years while the others *big brother uk and aus* are going downhill

Better tasks, more agruments, alcohol, strategizing, production value, just better in general

You do realize both Germany & Spain are far more "superior" regarding longevity right? & imo are both much better than the American summer camp/casting couch show.

I look @ the us has never had a "Big Brother" past 2000. After the 1st series they decided to make it their own but keep the BB name. With not having any or at least most of the traditional BB rules.

The summer house in America is just that. Lets get Allison to recruit all the pretty ppl from modelling agencies so they can keep viewers. Its bad enough they dont have a big brother, they talk to the Allison & other produces to manipulate a ton of stuff that is said to the HM in the diary room.

I did luv last years "Twist" The Saboteur you know the one that failed in the first week or so. The talking through hand puppets all day long was neat as well.
I did like it better when the UK did it the year before. and at least they had nice puppets and not a sock =/

cBS needs to stop kicking dead horses. All 3 of their reality shows either need a Major overhaul or just end them.

& im gonna give BBAU more credit than the C5 era of BBUK.
I think 7 was going to grab it soon after 10 axed it, but never went through, or just rumours back then. Either case Im glad they took a few years off to hopefully will be a good return. Something the UK needed to do, but didnt obviously

rk3388
24-06-2011, 04:50 PM
You do realize both Germany & Spain are far more "superior" regarding longevity right? & imo are both much better than the American summer camp/casting couch show.

I look @ the us has never had a "Big Brother" past 2000. After the 1st series they decided to make it their own but keep the BB name. With not having any or at least most of the traditional BB rules.

The summer house in America is just that. Lets get Allison to recruit all the pretty ppl from modelling agencies so they can keep viewers. Its bad enough they dont have a big brother, they talk to the Allison & other produces to manipulate a ton of stuff that is said to the HM in the diary room.

I did luv last years "Twist" The Saboteur you know the one that failed in the first week or so. The talking through hand puppets all day long was neat as well.
I did like it better when the UK did it the year before. and at least they had nice puppets and not a sock =/

cBS needs to stop kicking dead horses. All 3 of their reality shows either need a Major overhaul or just end them.

& im gonna give BBAU more credit than the C5 era of BBUK.
I think 7 was going to grab it soon after 10 axed it, but never went through, or just rumours back then. Either case Im glad they took a few years off to hopefully will be a good return. Something the UK needed to do, but didnt obviously

Well, I havent acually seen bb spain or germany because i dont speak either language, but i meant in between bbusa, bbaus and bbuk, the three ive acually watched.

The hand puppet argument is always made, but bbuk did have a crappy version of Power of veto in the form of save and replace every single week.

I cant get mad at them making the houseguests say certain things in the diary room because they dont acually change the outcome, they just provide more entertainment. Also I found bbuk and especially bbaus diary room chants really boring and long

All of CBS reality shows are extremely successful. If your talking about survivor, big brother and amazing race, survivor and amazing races lowest ratings have been millions more than bb aus and bbusa highest rating. And big brother recieved ratings bbuk and bbusa could only dream about

BBfanUSA
24-06-2011, 07:29 PM
and the American Version got it's highest ratings (8 mil is the 2nd highest for a summer tv show) in the last 3 years last year and that season Sucked. Everyone has crappy seasons...they come out of the rut a year later kicking butt again...even though Survivor is running out of ideas as they doing the same twist over again from last season (Redemption Island is a great idea...without former castaways coming back unless they have a GOOD reason to like they were forced to quit due to injury)

BBGermany
08-07-2011, 12:24 PM
I dont speak either language either. I find it interesting how other BB houses and HMs are. Thats just me tho. About the ratings. of course the us shows would have higher ratings. All of North America can watch "said" show if you have cable. I might be wrong but isnt the actual BBUK & BBAU only shown in their own countries? Besides Ireland. even with Survivor UK I dont know. I do believe all 3 of them need a major overhaul. I dont watch survivor any more i got tired of it after the 3rd or 4th series. With TAR ive found myself over the past couple of series growing out of it, & more into the international ones. & BB I gave up on the US one after the 3rd series. & just started re-watching it a couple of years ago.

Maybe i kicked off a lil too easily (i tend to do that) but when you have a station (CBS) that is avail to both America & Canada. Its kinda easy to keep these types of shows running and gain more fans/ratings

anywho i am glad that BBAU is coming back.

lostalex
09-07-2011, 01:47 AM
There's a hybrid version in Africa

Hg can discuss nominations and all hg nom

Hoh can take a hg off and nom another hg

public votes to save (due to the population of some countries they evict the person who has the least amount of countries (15 seperate ones and one for the rest of africa))

They have the same Hybrid BBUSA/BBuk system in Brazil, and it's one of the top shows in Brazil. I think also france and canada have dabbled in BBUSA rules.

Most of the shows around the world now are something in between BBUK and BBUSA.

even BBUK dabbled in USA rules in BBUK8 they had slop, BBUK9 they had HOH, in BBUK10 they allowed nominations talk, and in BBUK11 they had Veto competitions.

So BBUSA has definitely impacted BB's around the world.