PDA

View Full Version : Is describing someone as 'nice' another way of saying they are boring?

bonzobravo
24-08-2002, 05:25 PM
Why are most of the housemates liked? Most of them are 'nice' but leave me with indifference?

Often people end up liking the housemates, just because they have appeared on TV. Whilst there are only 3 or 4 housemates from all of the Big Brother's I disliked, most of them left me with indifference. Lets not forget they appear on TV to ultimately be JUDGED.

I often read on forums that people like a housemate because they are 'nice'. Being 'nice', of course is a positive quality, but it wouldn't make me like someone. I like people because they are humorous, intelligent or interesting. If all someone could describe me as was nice, I would be gutted.

Definition of Nice:

1. Pleasant, satisfactory 2. (of a person) kind, good-natured. 3. iron, bad or awkward (nice mess). 4. fine or subtle (nice distintinction). 5. fastidious; delicately sensitive. 6. (foll by an adj., often with and) satisfactory in terms of the quality described (a nice long time; nice and warm)

My point is being nice, are qualities we all like in people, but if a person is nice, and nice only, they usually are an absolute bore. For me if someone describes a person as being nice, I often think, you mean boring. That is why I don't understand the popularity of Paul because often people describe Paul as being nice and honest, which is very nice but does is he have any other qualities?

In my eyes, even with the BB 'characters' we see on TV, they have to earn the viewers respect and the right to be liked. Yet a lot of people like them straight away. It's very shallow, when I meet someone in real life I don't like them straight away, I have to spend time getting to know them.

The only housemates I actually like, and could be bothered talking to, if I had the chance would be the following:

Anna, Mel, Brian, Helen, Dean, Elizabeth, Penny, Josh, Jade, PJ, Spencer Sandy and maybe Kate. These are the only housemates I actually respect.

I've said it before I would rather know an interesting person then a 'nice' person!

Romantic Old Bird
24-08-2002, 05:40 PM
Bonzo, when I say people are nice, I mean I think they are good, kind souls who are pleasant to be with.

If I say someone is boring, I mean exactly that. Dull, uninspiring and unimaginative.

For me nice and boring are not interchangeable.

Jayjay
24-08-2002, 10:39 PM
I would put nice in the same sentance as harmless but with BB you need a few more qualities than nice: harmless, maternal e.t.c you need magnificent words such as b***h, entertaining, loud.

Nice is ......... nice but is not quite all the qualities needed to win BB.

Yours

Jayjay real name JaNICE :spin:

Janette
25-08-2002, 08:54 PM
Craig - winner of BB1 - Nice and also stuck up for everyone when Nick was being nasty.

Brian - winner of BB2 - Nice and also one of the funniest people I've ever seen on TV

Kate - winner of BB3 - Nice and also good fun and genuine.

So yes, nice people do win, but they need more than just to be nice

bonzobravo
25-08-2002, 09:08 PM
Janette that is what I meant, people whom are JUST described as nice are often boring.

I think Craig and Paul are VERY NICE, but VERY BORING.

If a nice person is edited by C4 correctly of course they can win.

Spencer is very nice, but that is not the first word I would use to decribe him as he has far more striknig qualities.

Janette
25-08-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by bonzobravo
Spencer is very nice, but that is not the first word I would use to decribe him as he has far more striknig qualities.

Smelly feet? :laugh:

bonzobravo
25-08-2002, 09:16 PM
LOL@Janette

I know you are tying to wind me up, so I will take in a deep breath!!!!

Spencer is
Very funny (dry)
Honest
Laid Back
Gorgeous
Not just a tyical lad
Blatant
and did I mention gorgeous!

Oh and of course he can be NICE

bonzobravo
10-09-2002, 06:29 PM
Someone actually said to me today

"if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"

I just laughed and walked away, they were beyond being saved!!!

Some people hey

:conf:

Mairi
10-09-2002, 07:51 PM
I personally like "nice". :thumbs:

BusyBee
10-09-2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Romantic Old Bird

For me nice and boring are not interchangeable.

Quite agree with you ROB. When I say someone is nice for me it means they are good company, easy to get on with, and good natured. Probably very boring to some people. But boring to me means someone just drives me scatty, has no personality, no conversation or talks all the time about one subject and is someone I dont want to spend time with. Easily forgettable. :thumbs: