PDA

View Full Version : helen backs welsh refs?

miss little glitzee
05-09-2002, 12:52 PM
Opticians back Welsh referees Aug 30 2002

Gareth Roberts, The Western Mail

DUST off the wisecracks and prepare to curtail the brickbats.

Wales's referees will be sponsored by opticians Specsavers for the next four seasons and Clive Norling hopes the six-figure backing will lead to an increase in humour and decrease in abuse aimed at match officials from the terraces.

Norling, the Welsh Rugby Union director of referees, proved he himself is prepared to be considered a figure of fun by joining former Big Brother housemate Helen Adams in front of the cameras at the Millennium Stadium yesterday.

"I love blinking, I do," was among the phrases that endeared Adams to the British public. However, it should be noted that like most fans, coaches and players, she has yet to utter the phrase, "I love blinking referees, I do."

That said, Norling pleaded for fans to curtail the anger they often vent at match officials. Both Norling and the WRU are fearful that continued abuse of referees is discouraging would-be match officials.

Some of the sponsorship cash has been matched by the Sports Council for Wales's Sportsmatch scheme and will be used in a campaign to recruit more women referees to the game.