PDA

View Full Version : what did you think of the opening ceremony?

the truth
29-07-2012, 03:22 PM
I know theres a thread about its 27 million viewing figures, but this thread is about your opinions of the ceremony itself

Ive read a few reviews worldwide, they range from delight to admiration to confusion....many point to the humour and the respect shown for industry, the steel workers, james bond, the digital age, brunel , mr bean and of course the music...the flying mary poppins got mixed reviews, i thought they were awesome as were the rocket packs.

critics say it was too parochial, others say it was too liberal and left wing, one says writing the letters nhs was crass , others said why celebrate the nursing profession so much was the standards are so low (uk hospitals are 70 dirtier than scandinavians), waiting lists and bed blocking is worse as is mrsa and more people report neglect by nurses than in any european nation, oh and its not free. one writer says, it was a liberal celebration of social workers, overlong left wing propoganda and in some cases of state controlled failures including enforced multi culturalism and open borders to illegal immigrants...it refused to celebrate excellence

however everyone has a lot of praise for the volunteers and for danny boyle.
the spectacle was unique , funny , in some ways self deprecating and ultimately supposedly very british

personally i thought it was genius most of the time,(although why cant mccartney sing a different song?small criticism that) my fave bit was the steel workers creating the rings, i love hard working people and the steel worker, the bridge builders the ship builders, the slate workers, the coal miners, these are our heroes. all lead by britains greatest ever briton , ismbard kingdon brunel:wavey:

Ellen
29-07-2012, 03:39 PM
I know theres a thread about its 27 million viewing figures, but this thread is about your opinions of the ceremony itself

Ive read a few reviews worldwide, they range from delight to admiration to confusion....many point to the humour and the respect shown for industry, the steel workers, james bond, the digital age, brunel , mr bean and of course the music...the flying mary poppins got mixed reviews, i thought they were awesome as were the rocket packs.

critics say it was too parochial, others say it was too liberal and left wing, one says writing the letters nhs was crass , others said why celebrate the nursing profession so much was the standards are so low (uk hospitals are 70 dirtier than scandinavians), waiting lists and bed blocking is worse as is mrsa and more people report neglect by nurses than in any european nation, oh and its not free. one writer says, it was a liberal celebration of social workers, overlong left wing propoganda and in some cases of state controlled failures including enforced multi culturalism and open borders to illegal immigrants...it refused to celebrate excellence

however everyone has a lot of praise for the volunteers and for danny boyle.
the spectacle was unique , funny , in some ways self deprecating and ultimately supposedly very british

personally i thought it was genius most of the time,(although why cant mccartney sing a different song?small criticism that) my fave bit was the steel workers creating the rings, i love hard working people and the steel worker, the bridge builders the ship builders, the slate workers, the coal miners, these are our heroes. all lead by britains greatest ever briton , ismbard kingdon brunel:wavey:

I wasnt sure what to expect, i thought it may not be that good but was very impressed with it.
Like you i loved the creating of the rings.
The NHS, although some believe it not to be so good nowadays & i can understand some not getting it but its birth place was in this country.
You will always get some that wont be happy no matter what they would have done.
All in all, i watched from start to finish & i thought it was fantastic! :thumbs:

Lee.
29-07-2012, 03:42 PM
I thought it was fantastic! Didn't think much of The Artic Monkeys or Paul mccartney, but all in all it was a show to be proud of