PDA

View Full Version : Swiss footballer expelled from Olympics for racist tweet

Shaun
30-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Switzerland defender Michel Morganella has been expelled from the London Olympics for directing an allegedly racist insult at South Koreans on Twitter.

The Swiss Olympic delegation have sent the 23-year-old home from the Games after he posted the message in the wake of the team's 2-1 defeat to South Korea on Sunday.

"Michel Morganella gravely insulted and discriminated against the South Korean people and their football team with his highly offensive comments on Twitter," said Gian Gilli, chef de mission for the Swiss Olympic delegation at the Games.

"We condemn his comments, which are in fundamental violation of the IOC's Olympic charter and Swiss Olympic's own ethics charter.

"This is why, in consultation with the Swiss Football Association, we have withdrawn Morganella's accreditation."

The player has accepted the decision and apologised for his behaviour.

He said: "I made a huge mistake after the disappointing result.

"I wish to apologise to the people in South Korea and their team, but also to the Swiss delegation and Swiss football in general. I obviously accept the consequences for my actions."

His Twitter account has been deleted.

always one :/

Shaun
30-07-2012, 06:04 PM
http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/5016bcd169beddf170000010-591-355/le-matin-morganella-tweet.jpg

The tweet roughly translates as:

“I ******* all Koreans, go all burn yourselves. Ahahahaha bunch of ‘tards.”

Ninastar
30-07-2012, 06:28 PM
sounds like a great guy

Munchkins
30-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Wonderful guy, what a role model -.-
Im so sick of racists on facebook, twitter and everywhere, having a go at nations because they lost
fu******** disgusting

Tom4784
30-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Charming, He's obviously an idiot and If I'm honest just getting withdrawn from the Olympics seems like quite a minor punishment for what he actually said. That kind of statement should come with more sever consequences.

King Gizzard
30-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Should of expelled him for his terrible punishment

Fair punishment really. No way can you judge the intent of what he said..which was probably a joke anyway

King Gizzard
30-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Should of expelled him for his terrible punishment

Fair punishment really. No way can you judge the intent of what he said..which was probably a joke anyway

MTVN
30-07-2012, 10:40 PM
A Greek triple jumper got expelled the other day as well for tweeting:

With so many Africans in Greece... At least the West Nile mosquitoes will eat home made food!!!

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/366722/20120725/greece-golden-dawn-olympics-london-2012-papachristou.htm

Marc
30-07-2012, 11:02 PM
ROFL what why the hell