PDA

View Full Version : The Dog denied access into the UK?

Loukas
12-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Duane 'Dog the Bounty Hunter' Chapman barred from UK
US TV presenter's Celebrity Big Brother appearance in doubt after he is denied visa over 1976 murder conviction

As "Dog the Bounty Hunter", Duane Chapman has made a name for himself tracking down offenders on his hit US reality TV show, but his own criminal past came back to haunt him when the UK government refused to grant him a visa.

Chapman, whose show has run for eight seasons in the States, was due to appear on Channel 5's new series of Celebrity Big Brother from Wednesday but the UK Border Agency denied him entry because of his involvement in the 1976 murder of Jerry Oliver in Pampa, Texas.

Oliver was shot dead by one of Chapman's friends when they went to buy marijuana from him. Chapman was outside waiting in a car when Oliver was killed inside his house during a struggle. Nevertheless, he was convicted of first-degree murder and served one and a half years of a five-year sentence.

Chapman said he was not seeking to minimise his involvement – "I should not have been there, that's that" – but insisted he had turned his life around. His show, screened on Sky2 and Pick TV in the UK, features him praying with his family for safety and for a successful mission "in Jesus's name" before going to work on criminals, who frequently repent in his presence.

A sworn letter provided by Charles Love, a Pampa police officer at the time of the murder, provided as supporting evidence for Chapman's visa application, described the bounty hunter's role as "minor".

"I'd like to see your country and I have a lot of fans there and I'd like to meet them," Chapman told the Guardian from Hawaii. "I have always wanted to come here." He was bound by confidentiality from confirming his scheduled appearance in the Celebrity Big Brother House but expressed hope the "red tape" could be overcome.

However, his wife, Beth, who is also his business partner and co-star, was more forthright. "It's just incredible that something that he did 33 years ago is just haunting him," she said. "It prevents him making a living. Our society is so unforgiving it seems, no matter how many good things we do."

She pointed to her husband's work with the Make-A-Wish Foundation. He also has a letter supporting his visa application from a charity called RG1, run by film-makers, which supports young people to lead a life away from crime and wants Chapman to take part in its youth initiative scheme. Additionally, more than 3,500 fans have signed a petition calling for him to be allowed into the UK.

The refusal letter from the UK Border Agency says: "Records show that you were convicted of one offence which carried a sentence of five years. According to those records, that conviction is not spent." It also says the purpose of his visit is not "of a sufficiently compelling nature" to exercise discretionary powers to let him in.

Other US stars have been allowed into the UK despite convictions, including the boxer Mike Tyson, who was granted entry in 2000 at the discretion of then-home secretary Jack Straw, despite his conviction for rape.

Chapman's official website says he is considered "the greatest bounty hunter in the world" and he has made more than 6,000 captures in his 27-year career.

His TV show was recently axed in the US after eight seasons.

The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/aug/12/duane-dog-bounty-hunter-uk?newsfeed=true)

Knitting Nana
12-08-2012, 04:48 PM
He first applied years ago and was turned down so maybe this time he's made a better case. I'm not trivialising his part in the murder but he only drove the car and had no idea the bloke was going to shoot the other bloke.

He's done so much good in the past couple of decades, help others turn their lives around - surely that cancels out that one act of stupidity??

emmetmcl
12-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Seems like another potential housemate who was never actually approached by C5.

Didn't this happen with Lindsay Lohan too?

Daily Star says that BB want her. She can't get a VISA. Daily Star/Channel 5 then can't be accused of lying.

My guess is he (or Lohan) were never approached for BB, but they know they can get away with touting these names so that viewers will tune in expecting to see them

reece(:
12-08-2012, 04:51 PM
FFS they better let him in, he's obviously a changed man :bored:

Black Dagger
12-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Urgh, he was said to be confirmed earlier :bored:

Oh well, looks like Julian & Janice (hopefully she goes in) will have to be the stars of the series.

emmetmcl
12-08-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm still of the opinion these people (ie. Dog, Lindsay Lohan) are never approached at all.

The DS/C5 just spread these rumours hoping it will attract viewers, then they have a get out when they aren't on the show.

Jordan.
12-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Time for another last minute replacement then. Last time we got this legend

http://files.list.co.uk/images/2011/08/24/1314172550-26aol.jpg

Jayson
12-08-2012, 05:02 PM
I guess this proves that at the end of the criminal rainbow, there is no pot of gold.

Stay in school, brothers.

Jayson
12-08-2012, 05:03 PM
I guess this proves that at the end of the criminal rainbow, there is no pot of gold.

Stay in school, brothers.

Knitting Nana
12-08-2012, 05:05 PM
I'm still of the opinion these people (ie. Dog, Lindsay Lohan) are never approached at all.

The DS/C5 just spread these rumours hoping it will attract viewers, then they have a get out when they aren't on the show.

Normally I would be as cynical as you but dog had his show cancelled in the usa and is now selling phone calls with him for about £60 for five minutes :bawling: I could understand it if he signed up as he has lost his tv income - also, bless him (luv ya dog x) he's getting on a bit and might be struggling a bit at bounty hunting anyway.

Knitting Nana
12-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Found this on beth's twitter thingy (sorry I dont twit so I dont know whether peeps can reply or not)

"Never granted RT @dogtobritain: UK Government granted him a visa last year, but have now denied it. Why? All he's done between 2011-2012 is made the USA safer!"

Might be a ploy - cant see uk granting one then taking it away when nothing bad has happened in between.

Jayson
12-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Bloody Tories

Roy Mars III
12-08-2012, 05:24 PM

this is true

MeMyselfAndI
12-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Hes a disgusting person, thank god there is some justice/Karma:D

arista
12-08-2012, 05:37 PM
"Urgh, he was said to be confirmed earlier"

He is a Cocky Dog
and he needs to start talking to Lawyers more.

arista
12-08-2012, 05:45 PM
"Hes a disgusting person"

Now in his later years
he is not so brave
he fears a bullet will kill him.

Saph
12-08-2012, 05:47 PM
In a way this could be a good thing, imagine him getting booed.. he would probably never come back and not think much of the British public and I wouldnt blame him.

Knitting Nana
12-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Petition's here: http://petitiononline.com/DTBHUK/petition.html

Yeah, its so disgusting, taking criminals off the streets, getting all those bad people to change their lives for the better instead of staying criminals eh?

arista
12-08-2012, 05:50 PM
"Petition's here"

No Way
not enough time
it starts in a few days or so.

Jord
12-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Dog's wife was never secretive about him going into CBB so I'm hoping that C5 have asked for her to continue on with the visa being denied story, even although apparently it got green lit yesterday, so that Dog's entrance on the show comes as a surprise. Doubtful though. :(

Did someone pull out, leading to Bobby being drafted in?

MeMyselfAndI
12-08-2012, 06:03 PM
More like imagine him getting cheered!
Wooo Yayy!! WE LOVE RACISTS!! Yayyy.

MeMyselfAndI
12-08-2012, 06:03 PM
More like imagine him getting cheered!
Wooo Yayy!! WE LOVE RACISTS!! Yayyy.

Knitting Nana
12-08-2012, 06:12 PM
"Petition's here"
No Way
not enough time
it starts in a few days or so.

Could still be a late entry maybe ?

Jords - thats what I'm hoping

MemyselfI - can I ask you, politely, to listen to the whole recording. They're discussing their use of the 'n' word, he's not calling anyone the 'n' word, he was set up by one of his son's and the national enquirer.

MeMyselfAndI
12-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Yayyy we love first degree murderers WOO!

Knitting Nana
12-08-2012, 06:32 PM
What ignorance. He didnt murder anybody. He gave someone a lift with no idea they had a gun.

Vanessa
12-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Oh no! I wanted him on the show! :bawling:

Iceman
12-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Yayyy we love first degree murderers WOO!

He's not a murderer, you'd think you could do some research before throwing wild accusations around.

GypsyGoth
12-08-2012, 06:38 PM
I think he would have been interesting.

Iceman
12-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Yeah GG, would have been a big character.

Vanessa
12-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Yeah GG, would have been a big character.

It's such a shame! :(

Black Dagger
12-08-2012, 06:41 PM
He'd have been really amazing, with a lot of stories I'm sure.

Hopefully we still have an amazing American back-up... (Gary Busey plz xo) for him because we all know they are superior to our house-mates.

AndrewLee***
12-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Im so upset now =[ I love Dog!!!

michael21
12-08-2012, 07:44 PM
it fine dog came come to the UK i said so :dance:

Jords
12-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Noooooooooo let him in hes a changed man and would be great!!