PDA

View Full Version : Why Brian is the most deserving winner of BB so far!

bonzobravo
07-09-2002, 11:23 PM
Brian was the most deserving winner yet because..........

Brian was the most genuine character there has been on BB so far, who wasn't bothered about showing his bitchy side or his vunerable side. In my opinion he and Jade showed more aspects of their personalities then any other housemates.

He may not have had the best knowledge on the important aspects of life, but when Dean pointed this out to him, he genuinely decided he needed to change this. It was fascinating to watch his pain and anxiety, in terms of dealing with the fact he had only just 'come out'. This endeared him to me!

Nobody has come near to his sense of humour, and his ability to laugh off difficult situations. His humour made BB2 for me, without him BB2 would have been a bore. He was also very caring towards Helen near the end, and I admired him for this.

It is obvious too that he is the same person in general now, that he was when in he was in the house. Apart from he has more confidence, which is great.

Unlike Craig he won because of his personality, and not beacause of a sequence of events. He is also quite easy on the eye. :love:

As you all know Spencer is my favourite but Brian was definately the most deserving winner, and that is why he won BB2 by a CLEAR margin.

We all love u Brian!!

:love:

Ig
08-09-2002, 01:43 PM
Well, I agree with everything you've said there Bonzo, and I also have some other reasons .....

The fact that he only came out to his parents a few days before entering the house is one very big factor. A few of my gay friends really identified with his situation, putting it off for years and being on the point of spilling the beans so many times and backing out at the last minute, before eventually making sure they have to do it. BB was the perfect situation in some respects, but the worst in others. On the one hand, he had all the months of interviews etc to go through, and so ample opportunity to break it to his family gently. On the other hand, he probably used the uncertainty of the situation to put it off even longer, until the day came when he either had to tell them or let them read it in the papers first. I think his Rural Irish Catholic background made it very difficult for him, he'd left home at a young age, and had obviously lived a totally different life in England. Although he was from a very close-knit loving family, none of us would truly know how our families would deal with that sort of bombshell, and the torture he went through for 9 weeks was desperately touching, fascinating and a little uncomfortable to watch at times.

Another reason Brian has my respect and admiration is the way he handled his relationship with Josh in the latter weeks. Initially being threatened by Josh and behaving very badly towards him in the beginning, I honestly thought he'd blown it on his birthday. I could see exactly what was going through his mind, and I was aghast that none of his so-called friends could, and persisted in saying precisely the wrong things which wound him up even further. (are you listening Naz??) His heartfelt apology the next day just made me angrier, as certain people could see the chink in his armour and took great delight in taking pot shots at him. He took it all on the chin as he felt he deserved it, despite the fact they were simply milking the situation to their own advantage. Over the next few weeks, Josh made constant jibes and catty comments, which were seldom shown, and along with Elizabeth made every effort to destroy his confidence. (I can't say I wouldnt have been a bit of a bitch in Josh's situation tho!) Added to this the constant innuendo's and sometimes blatant passes, it was little wonder Brian retaliated with the famous and often trotted-out bitchy comments. He never once tried to justify himself, even on the night when it seemed the whole house had turned against him, and culminated in the showdown in the bedroom. It would have been the easiest thing in the world for Brian to tell the others exactly the sort of harrassment he'd had to put up with from Josh, but he never did. He once tried to confide in Dean that Josh was "overstepping the mark", but stopped after Dean said "Well, I really wouldn't know". I couldnt help thinking that if anyone had been treating Helen the way Josh treated Brian, someone would have stepped in. (I should mention that I actually don't mind Josh now, looking back with the blinkers off, and having chatted to him, I feel he was in a no-win situation anyway.)

On a lighter note, it was Brian's effervescence and humour that made him the obvious winner for me. Together with his darker side, his modesty, innocence and naivety, his intelligence (general knowledge is no indication of intelligence - my head is full of trivia and I'm certainly not the sharpest tool in the box! lol) vulnerability and openness, it made him by far the most interesting and complex character in all 3 series of BB.

Last but not least was his total lack of awareness of how he would be seen by the public. He never believed for a second that he would win, and the final night when he & Helen were really, genuinely rooting for each other brought a tear to my eye.

I loved him for his qualities and his faults, they mesmerised me, and I'll certainly never forget him.

Wonderful man!! :love:

bonzobravo
08-09-2002, 01:50 PM
Ig

:love:

Very well stated, although I do feel you are being a little harsh on Josh.

Ig
08-09-2002, 01:59 PM
:blush:

I know Bonzo, but like I said I don't mind him now, and he was perfectly entitled to have a bit of a pop at Brian, it just went on a bit too long and went a bit too far. At the time tho the "poor Josh" thing drove me insane!!

He is a nice bloke, and is very good to a friend of mine, so I can forgive and forget! :thumbs:

dizzy bint
08-09-2002, 07:37 PM
I totally agree. Brian was so convinced he didn't stand a chance of winning. I'll never forget his face when Davina announced that Dean had come third. He was genuinely shocked.

Brian totally deserved to win BB because he put so much effort into it. He put all his energies into making the other housemates laugh in every way he knew how and of course he made us laugh in the process too.

As the psychologists said at the time Brian's social skills were second to none and he put a lot of effort into ensuring that the whole group were bonded together and not split into girl/boy factions.

As for his relationship with Josh, Ig, I did not pick up on the fact that he was being harrassed by Josh. (For which I blame BB) I know that Josh touched him a couple of times during the dance task which he took exception to but I assumed that Josh had done this in jest. I also never picked up on the passes. Was Josh putting sexual pressure on Brian apart from during the 'romantic meals'? BTW Josh has also grown on me although I was disappointed with his recent comment that he thought his five weeks in the house were a waste of his time. I think no experience is ever a waste of time.

Overall Brian was a deserved winner and continues to keep us amused every Saturday morning.

Ig
08-09-2002, 10:13 PM
Hi Dizzy Bint! :wavey:

I did wonder if I'd imagined all this at one stage as it's never mentioned, but several people have assured me they noticed it too! It wasn't so much sexual pressure exactly, as continuous remarks which seemed deliberately intended to freak Brian out, given his dread of the two of them being "paired off" by the press. There was nothing as extreme as on the night of the dinner parties, but every conversation seemed to be peppered with little digs and smutty comments. I'm not trying to make Brian out to be a helpless victim in all this - he is a grown man after all, and well able to take care of himself - but neither was Josh. I think they're just about quits!!

To come to Josh's defence a little, from reading things he's said on his site, and comments from people who have spoken to him, he seems like one of the less bitter ex-housemates. I would think his comment about BB being a waste of his time was either taken out of context or made up! He seems to be having a ball and making the best of the opportunities his experience gave him.

bonzobravo
08-09-2002, 10:15 PM
Ig

Do you not think Josh is just a flirty person, and was not flirting with Brian on purpose!

Ig
08-09-2002, 10:22 PM
LOL - yes I do think Josh is a very flirty person, but that's not what I'm talking about. The flirting was fine! I would have been able to trot out umpteen examples at one stage, but to be honest I'd have to rack my brains (and my tape collection!!) to do that now. Trust me ... :thumbs:

bonzobravo
08-09-2002, 10:26 PM
Ig

I normally agree with everything u say, and as I did not see this I will go along with you and agree. (u normally are right) Because to be fair I can't remember the incidents you are on about.

dizzy bint
09-09-2002, 07:35 AM
:thumbs: Hi Ig

I see what you mean.