PDA

View Full Version : Second Chance for Popstar failures

BusyBee
30-10-2002, 07:54 PM
According to something I heard on the radio today Simon Cowell has come up with the brilliant idea of a tv show to give people who failed in previous popstar/pop idol programmes another chance to shine. Is this not scraping the barrel? Perhaps he should look at the viewing figures for fame academy and popstars which are nowhere up with previous shows of this type.:dazzler::dazzler:

Janette
30-10-2002, 08:00 PM
Surely there's a reason why they failed in the first place?

Romantic Old Bird
30-10-2002, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Janette
Surely there's a reason why they failed in the first place?

Well, that might be arbitary really.

HOWEVER, per-leeese, enough already. I think all of this stuff is detracting from the original, fascinating stuff of reality.

What is reality TV anyway? An illusion it seems to me. The original popstars wasn't so revolutionary. Apart from the fact it was done elsewhere (?Australia) first, it was more or less also done off screen for Take That, The Spice Girls, Westlife etc before we were ever blessed with seeing it.

BB1 and BB2 to some extent were, but now it's such an industry, it will probably be on the curriculum at the central School of Speech and Drama by 2003.

Week 1: How to establish a sympathetic public identity without annoying your housemates

Week 2: How to crack up dramatically

Week 3: How to behave with great dignity under pressure

Week 4: How to appear to be supportive of everyone, whilst plotting their downfall

jbellemeg
30-10-2002, 10:02 PM
We all know how much money ALL the judges made off Pop Stars. Is this just another ploy to swell their coffers??????
:conf::conf::conf::conf::conf::conf::conf:

Kaz
30-10-2002, 10:08 PM
It's apparently Simon Fuller, not Slimy Simon Cowell who's come up with the idea, BusyBee - this story's from Ananova:

Simon Fuller, the man behind Pop Idol, is planning a new series to give fallen popstars a second chance.

Second Chance Idol will give former pop and rock stars the chance to compete for a new recording contract.

Fuller says the show could be on UK television as early as February and in American next summer.

He tells Time magazine that the show could give new life to the reality TV formula. "In England, the bubble's already about to burst," he said.

I agree with him that the reality TV concept in Britain is fast losing popularity. Neither Fame Academy nor Popstars the Rivals are getting anything like the viewing figures for Pop Idol.

But I don't see how his idea is any different ............ :conf:

em
30-10-2002, 10:19 PM
maybe he'll have Gareth Gates, Will Young, Hear'say and the popstars groups to be (namely all the ITV winners on reality tv) on this show (sorry if this courses offence to any fans of these people, esp WY fans, as ive seen pics of him under ppls names).

Janette
30-10-2002, 10:24 PM
If you'd seen Will live on his concert tour which was sadly spoiled by the pretty boy's lack of talent, you wouldn't have put Will on your list Em.

He is one of the few real talents that have emerged from these so-called talent shows!

jbellemeg
30-10-2002, 10:28 PM
HERE HERE JANETTE.:elephant::elephant::elephant::elephant::e lephant:

Kaz
30-10-2002, 10:41 PM
My understanding of Simon Fuller's idea is that it would be for established singers or bands who had already had record contracts and lost them for some reason or other to get another chance.

I don't think it's aimed at those who've entered Pop Idol, Popstars, etc. but failed to reach the final stages. That would be crazy, because it's already been established that they're not good enough (winner of Pop Idol excluded! :hugesmile:)

Only my view .................. :laugh:

Mairi
30-10-2002, 10:49 PM
Hi Kaz!! :xyxwave:

Winner of Pop Idol excluded, you said. I agree with you. I would also exclude the runner up. :laugh:

Love your Halloween signature, BTW. :hello:

Janette
30-10-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by miriam
I would also exclude the runner up. :laugh:
:hello:

I take it you didn't see them live either Miriam?

:thumbs:

Mairi
30-10-2002, 10:55 PM
Ooooh!!! Such a sharp tongue tonight, Janette. I can't begin to imagine where you get it from.

:love::laugh::love:

Janette
30-10-2002, 10:57 PM
Obviously my father's side, the sarcasm comes from my mother's side!

Romantic Old Bird
31-10-2002, 08:43 PM
I hope you two girls are enjoying yourself!

Now, I haven't had the honour of seeing the Pop Idol concert like some, but my work colleague saw them at Nottingham a couple of weeks back. Her verdict:

Zoe: Very poor warm up act
Gareth: No power, no charisma, absolutely average

Will: Blew her away!

Is that what everyone else thought?

Janette
31-10-2002, 08:47 PM
In my ever so humble opinion, Zoe was quite good as a support act, but I don't think she will make it as a star in her own right.

Gareth was naff.

Will rules!

BusyBee
31-10-2002, 09:37 PM
My daughter went to see them recently (she also went to one of the full Pop Idol shows). Her verdict.

Zoe - OK - nothing special :sleep::sleep:

Gareth - thinking too much of his pretty boy image - weak voice - would do well in a boy band - can only sing a certain type of song. (Soree for any Gareth fans out there, just repeating what she said.):nono::nono:

Will - absolutely fantastic she said he has come on leaps and bounds - he really stole the show :thumbs::thumbs:

In her view Will could have headlined any show and should be given the chance without having the others hanging on his coat tails. Without him the show would have been nothing.:hello::hello: