PDA

View Full Version : Men of TiBB

Benjamin
17-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Men should be offered a screening test for prostate cancer in their late 40s, researchers say.

The idea is controversial as prostate specific antigen (PSA) testing can be unreliable, throwing up false positive results that can cause undue worry and even treatment over something benign.

But the Swedish team say checking every man aged 45-49 would predict nearly half of all prostate cancer deaths.

Their findings, in The BMJ, come from a study of more than 21,000 men.
No consensus

There is no routine screening programme for prostate cancer in the UK.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

At least half of all men can be identified as being at low risk and probably need no more than three PSA tests in a lifetime”

Prof Lilia and colleagues

Men over 50 can request a free PSA test on the NHS if they wish.

A recent prostate cancer screening trial in Europe, ERSPC, showed that screening reduced mortality by 20%. However, this was associated with a high level of "over treatment". To save one life, 48 additional cases of prostate cancer needed to be treated.

In 2010, when the UK National Screening Committee in England last reviewed the issue, it again decided screening should not be introduced.

But Prof Hans Lilia and colleagues from Lund University in Sweden and the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in the US say there is a strong case for routine PSA testing and that men in their late-40s are prime candidates.
PSA testing

PSA is a protein produced by both normal and cancerous prostate cells
A high level of PSA can be a sign of cancer
A PSA reading higher than four, but less than 10 is usually due to a benign enlarged prostate
A reading higher than 10 may also just be a non cancerous prostate disease
The higher the level of PSA, the more likely it is to be cancer

Source: Cancer Research UK

To prove it, they looked back at a study carried out between 1974 and 1984 involving 21,277 Swedish men aged 27-52. All the men had donated blood samples at the start of the study. The researchers used these stored samples to run PSA tests.

Armed with the results, they then checked to see if the PSA reading predicted what had happened to the men in terms of clinical outcomes - ie had those with high/positive PSA results gone on to develop prostate cancer.

A high PSA was linked with an increased risk of prostate cancer.
“Start Quote

We are currently in the process of a scheduled review for a screening programme for prostate cancer and will make a recommendation towards the end of 2013”

Dr Anne Mackie of Public Health England

The researchers then checked the results to see if there was a best age at which men should be screened.
Balance of risks

Screening too young - below 45 years of age - detected too few deadly cancers.

And delaying screening until after a man's 50th birthday missed too many.

Screening men at the age of 45-49, however, spotted nearly half (44%) of the cancers that went on to be deadly.

In the study, 1,369 of the men had prostate cancer, 241 had advanced disease and 162 died from it.

They say all men should be offered a PSA test in their mid-to-late 40s. Those with a high result would return for frequent screening and checks (and treatment if necessary), while those with normal results could wait until their early 50s for their next PSA test.

"At least half of all men can be identified as being at low risk and probably need no more than three PSA tests in a lifetime," they say in the British Medical Journal.

"This is likely to reduce the risk of over-diagnosis while still enabling early cancer detection among those most likely to gain from early diagnosis," they say.

Dr Anne Mackie, Director of NHS Screening Programmes at Public Health England, said they reviewed evidence for screening on a three-yearly basis to make sure that the programmes offered by the NHS are based on the best and most up-to-date information available.

She said they would consider the findings of the BMJ study.

"We are currently in the process of a scheduled review for a screening programme for prostate cancer and will make a recommendation towards the end of 2013," she said.

The Prostate Cancer UK said more research efforts should be channelled into finding a better screening test for the disease.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22164449

Marc
17-04-2013, 09:29 AM
I'd happily be screened when I'm old enough.

billy123
17-04-2013, 11:01 AM
Im just not sure im ready to be fingered yet :(

Marsh.
17-04-2013, 11:46 AM
Yeah, I know cancer is serious but the thoughts of my doctor sticking something up my ass makes me want to die.

King Gizzard
17-04-2013, 12:30 PM
agreed with bob and marsh..I know it's serious but..

Jesus.
17-04-2013, 12:33 PM
You're all frigid.

Marc
17-04-2013, 12:38 PM
You're all stubborn and could die, when there's a chance of detecting cancer and surviving :idc:

Vicky.
17-04-2013, 12:38 PM
There should be screening for this. Much the same as there is for cervical cancer. No woman likes getting smears done, but most get on with it to increase the risk of catching it early if anything happens.

I think blokes attitudes towards screening are the main reason for the increase in male cancers tbh.

King Gizzard
17-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Getting tested for testicular cancer was awkward and bad enough..but I would go if I had all of the symptoms for sure

Marc
17-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Tbh if you broke a leg you'd have to have surgery and the recovery can't be painless and easy.. but you'd get it fixed so why wouldn't you just endure a few moments of being uncomfortable. It's not the end of the world

Jake.
17-04-2013, 01:03 PM
but I would go if I had all of the symptoms for sure

Tbh if you broke a leg you'd have to have surgery and the recovery can't be painless and easy.. but you'd get it fixed so why wouldn't you just endure a few moments of being uncomfortable. It's not the end of the world

[2]

Marsh.
17-04-2013, 04:21 PM
There should be screening for this. Much the same as there is for cervical cancer. No woman likes getting smears done, but most get on with it to increase the risk of catching it early if anything happens.

I think blokes attitudes towards screening are the main reason for the increase in male cancers tbh.

It's alright for women, they're used to pushing things out of and shoving things into their front bums. My arse was not made for stuffing.

Do we need to shave beforehand?

Jake.
17-04-2013, 04:23 PM
It's alright for women, they're used to pushing things out of and shoving things into their front bums. My arse was not made for stuffing.

Do we need to shave beforehand?

Depends on how much you like your doctor I suppose

Vicky.
17-04-2013, 04:27 PM

You have such a way with words...

And smears are not pleasant. No matter how many things you have had in, or coming out of your foof...its different :laugh:
Depends on how much you like your doctor I suppose
:joker:

Marsh.
17-04-2013, 04:29 PM
It was blunt but true.

The vagina was made for penetration, the arse wasn't. :laugh:

Smears are high on the list of reasons I'm glad I'm not a woman. So awkward. Lol

Roy Mars III
17-04-2013, 04:30 PM
you sound like my girlfriend

the truth
17-04-2013, 10:48 PM
ok so how do we get screened do we just ring the doc and ask

Marsh.
17-04-2013, 11:01 PM
ok so how do we get screened do we just ring the doc and ask

Nathan's offering free checks.

lostalex
18-04-2013, 06:20 AM
I thinks it's hilarious that some str8 guys pretend putting something up their bum is so scary and horrible. Every man, gay or str8, has stuck something up their butt at some point. Even if it was just out of curiosity, they've all done it.

It's just like masturbation, 90% of men have masturbated, and 10% are liars.

billy123
18-04-2013, 06:27 AM
I thinks it's hilarious that some str8 guys pretend putting something up their bum is so scary and horrible. Every man, gay or str8, has stuck something up their butt at some point. Even if it was just out of curiosity, they've all done it.

It's just like masturbation, 90% of men have masturbated, and 10% are liars.
Its a bit small minded and bigoted to presume that other people are weird not to want to be analy penetrated just because you are happy to be.

lostalex
18-04-2013, 06:30 AM
Its a bit small minded and bigoted to presume that other people are weird not to want to be analy penetrated just because you do.

when did I say that I want to be anally penetrated? wtf are you talking about?

billy123
18-04-2013, 06:36 AM
The topic has nothing whatsoever to do with sexuality but yet again you feel the need to drag the thread there.
Pathetic.

lostalex
18-04-2013, 06:41 AM
The topic has nothing whatsoever to do with sexuality but once again you feel the need to go there.
Pathetic.

I didn't mention anything about sexuality, obviously a doctor sticking a finger up your ass is not SEXUAL. I compared it to masturbation in the sense that men lie about it.

Any man that says he's never put a finger u[p his own ass is a liar is what i said, I never said in a sexual way, i'm including when you're tryna get clean after a massive dump in this.

The fact is though that certain str8 men pretend it's a big deal because of homophobia. You denying that is the case is what is pathetic.

And you ASSUMING that because i'm gay i LIKE having things put up my butt is also pathetic and homophobic.

billy123
18-04-2013, 06:48 AM
I didn't mention anything about sexuality, obviously a doctor sticking a finger up your ass is not SEXUAL. I compared it to masturbation in the sense that men lie about it.

Any man that says he's never put a finger u[p his own ass is a liar is what i said, I never said in a sexual way, i'm including when you're tryna get clean after a massive dump in this.

The fact is though that certain str8 men pretend it's a big deal because of homophobia. You denying that is the case is what is pathetic.

And you ASSUMING that because i'm gay i LIKE anal sex is also pathetic.You are the one that passed comment about finding STR8 (sic) men hilarious for not wanting to be penetrated analy.
Yes its hilarious that you dont realise that moronic comments like that might have an effect on men thinking of being tested/screened for cancer that are unsure about getting fingered.
I dont shove things up my arse what on earth makes you think most men are liars?

lostalex
18-04-2013, 06:50 AM
You are the one that passed comment about finding STR8 (sic) men hilarious for not wanting to be penetrated analy.
Yes its hilarious that you dont realise that moronic comments like that might have an effect on men thinking of being tested/screened for cancer that are unsure about getting fingered.

that is NOT what i said. now you are just making **** up.

AnnieK
18-04-2013, 06:51 AM
I think it's hard for guys to go to the doctors for checks like these but they are so necessary. It's got to worth a few moments of discomforts and embarrassment to cut your risk of cancer. I think the key is education and de-stigmatisation. As women, we know when we are growing up that we will have to have smear tests etc and so we know it's one of those things we have to deal with so if tests for men become routine earlier and something spoken about it would surely help to make it less embarrassing and daunting?

billy123
18-04-2013, 06:54 AM
I think it's hard for guys to go to the doctors for checks like these but they are so necessary. It's got to worth a few moments of discomforts and embarrassment to cut your risk of cancer. I think the key is education and de-stigmatisation. As women, we know when we are growing up that we will have to have smear tests etc and so we know it's one of those things we have to deal with so if tests for men become routine earlier and something spoken about it would surely help to make it less embarrassing and daunting?Yes well said annie to make it the norm would be very helpful(for me personally).
People finding "STR8" men that are unsure about it "hilarious" is counter productive and childish in my opinion if morons like that discourage even 1 person it could be a life lost.
Idiotic comments like that make my blood boil what could anyone ever hope to achieve by saying something like that? other than to put men off from being tested.

lostalex
18-04-2013, 07:25 AM
Yes well said annie to make it the norm would be very helpful(for me personally).
People finding "STR8" men that are unsure about it "hilarious" is counter productive and childish in my opinion if morons like that discourage even 1 person it could be a life lost.
Idiotic comments like that make my blood boil what could anyone ever hope to achieve by saying something like that? other than to put men off from being tested.

Really? my comments would put someone off from getting checked? no HOMOPHOBIC ****tards like you put people off. stop trying to twist things.

Me saying that it's not a big deal because every man has stuck a finger up his butt at some point in their life is not putting anyone off from getting a prostate exam.

You really are a manipulative vile creature sometimes bobnot.

billy123
18-04-2013, 07:29 AM
Really? my comments would put someone off from getting checked? no HOMOPHOBIC ****tards like you put people off. stop trying to twist things.

Me saying that it's not a big deal because every man has stuck a finger up his butt at some point in their life is not putting anyone off from getting a prostate exam.

You really are a manipulative vile creature sometimes bobnot.Well done your work here is done you must be proud of your contribution to male health awareness what a nice person you are. Im just a "HOMOPHOBIC ****tard" so it doesnt matter does it?

http://www.othercinema.com/otherzine/otherzine20/nelson/joker-clap.gif

lostalex
18-04-2013, 07:32 AM
Well done your work here is done you must be proud of your contribution to male health awareness what a nice person you are.

http://www.othercinema.com/otherzine/otherzine20/nelson/joker-clap.gif

keep trolling. :thumbs:

billy123
18-04-2013, 07:35 AM
keep trolling. :thumbs:You keep telling yourself that if it helps.
I sang your praises on here only yesterday elswhere on the board i still feel the same but damn you are silly at times.
Goodbye Alex.
(I dont doubt you will be desperate enough to have a last little say you are welcome to it but it changes nothing)

lostalex
18-04-2013, 07:41 AM
You keep telling yourself that if it helps.
I sang your praises on here only yesterday elswhere on the board i still feel the same but damn you are silly at times.
Goodbye Alex.

well you twisted what i said into nonsense that i never said and then attacked me....

why did you do that unless you are trolling? I can't think of another reason.

I never said anyone had to LIKE getting a finger up their butt (gay or str8), and i certainly never said that i LIKED "shoving things up my butt" because i'm gay. but you twisted what i said and claim that i said those things.

billy123
18-04-2013, 08:23 AM
What is the age that men should start thinking about getting this done?
I dont even know!
The thought scares me maybe we could make it a tibb group event so we can all feel violated together on the same day.

SharkAttack
18-04-2013, 08:29 AM
What is the age that men should start thinking about getting this done?
I dont even know!
The thought scares me maybe we could make it a tibb group event so we can all feel violated together on the same day.

Alright, Bob, I'll go with you to get probed, but don't expect any pleasantry. And bring the bear.

lostalex
18-04-2013, 08:36 AM
(I dont doubt you will be desperate enough to have a last little say you are welcome to it but it changes nothing)

actually it was you who needed to have the last word by editing your post. stop being such a hypocrite.

billy123
18-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Alright, Bob, I'll go with you to get probed, but don't expect any pleasantry. And bring the bear. :hugesmile: The damn bear weighs about 30kg (it is taller than my girlfriend which was hilarious) all i have to offer you on the day are my man tears and my cries for help.

SharkAttack
18-04-2013, 08:39 AM
:hugesmile: The damn bear weighs about 30kg (it is taller than my girlfriend which was hilarious) all i have to offer you on the day are my man tears and my cries for help.

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp32/sharkattack_torrential/smilies/miniz.gif Hey, the bear can have a colonoscopy too!

Cherie
18-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Isn't screening initially carried out by blood test to check the level of PSA in your blood? I don't think it is a finger up bottom job to begin with, maybe if they find the levels high or you have other symptoms then you go on to have a physical exam??

billy123
18-04-2013, 08:54 AM
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp32/sharkattack_torrential/smilies/miniz.gif Hey, the bear can have a colonoscopy too!:joker: The bear has a genderless undercarriage which i find weird :bawling: but as a manipulative vile creature i have to be careful.
Maybe if the bear was to finger us we might not be judged. :joker:

billy123
18-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Isn't screening initially carried out by blood test to check the level of PSA in your blood? I don't think it is a finger up bottom job to begin with, maybe if they find the levels high or you have other symptoms then you go on to have a physical exam??
I have no idea Cherie i honestly dont know if i should be screened im not even joking.
I dont know.
Im in my 30's do i need it?

Cherie
18-04-2013, 09:53 AM
I have no idea Cherie i honestly dont know if i should be screened im not even joking.
I dont know.
Im in my 30's do i need it?

From what I can gather it is similar to female mammograms, not the test :joker: (because I believe that is like getting your lady bumps caught in a car door) but the age it starts, currently you can request a blood test once you reach 50 but I believe researchers want that dropped to 45 ish, as alot of men are now getting the disease between 45 and 50 so you have a few more years to screw up the courage to go..:hugesmile:

Marc
18-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Well this thread has been ruined. Can you both just feel like the victor and leave this thread

Cherie
18-04-2013, 10:09 AM
It was back on track :whistle:

Marc
18-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Both still need to be warned. You can discuss stuff without throwing insults and calling each other names.

lostalex
18-04-2013, 10:15 AM
From what I can gather it is similar to female mammograms, not the test :joker: (because I believe that is like getting your lady bumps caught in a car door) but the age it starts, currently you can request a blood test once you reach 50 but I believe researchers want that dropped to 45 ish, as alot of men are now getting the disease between 45 and 50 so you have a few more years to screw up the courage to go..:hugesmile:

Actually you make a really good comparison. Women don't like having their boobs squished into a pancake for a mammogram. It's uncomfortable and even a bit painful, but it's not THAT big of a deal. Most of the complaints men make about prostate exams are based on pure homophobia, not the actual discomfort that they feel.

AnnieK
18-04-2013, 10:23 AM
I've endured a lot of tests and things and not one has been particularly nice but all the medical professionals I've come across have been true professionals and the thought of the tests have always been worse than the actual thing. I know that it doesn't make the thought of it any easier but health and well being must be paramount in my opinion. My grandad has prostrate cancer which he got in later life. They have told him its not an aggressive form when you get it later in life (they arent treating it as ge is 95) but it is quite a different story when it hits in middle age so well worth the tests if you can get them.

billy123
18-04-2013, 11:06 AM
From what I can gather it is similar to female mammograms, not the test :joker: (because I believe that is like getting your lady bumps caught in a car door) but the age it starts, currently you can request a blood test once you reach 50 but I believe researchers want that dropped to 45 ish, as alot of men are now getting the disease between 45 and 50 so you have a few more years to screw up the courage to go..:hugesmile::blush: Thank you .
I have a few years before i am required to bend over yet then. :blush:
Cheers i genuinely didnt know.

billy123
18-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Both still need to be warned. You can discuss stuff without throwing insults and calling each other names.no need whatsoever.

lostalex
18-04-2013, 11:12 AM
He was just warning us in a general sense bob. Atleast he's not like some mods which would have given us both infractions for it. We should both be grateful that he's being so reasonable. He let it lie as it was, and is not infracting us, so appreciate that!

Neigther of us got infractions for our earlier exchange, so I think Marc was just pointing out that if we do continue that conversation then mods would have to intervene.

I think we should both just appreciate the warning Marc gave us.

Marsh.
18-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Yeah because sticking a finger up your arse after taking a 'massive dump' is a really popular thing to do. :rolleyes:

I also resent the notion of homophobia being brought into it, not wanting something stuck up your bum is not homophobic. The arsehole is an exit hole so common sense tells you that passing through it the wrong way is extremely uncomfortable and painful.

lostalex
18-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Yeah because sticking a finger up your arse after taking a 'massive dump' is a really popular thing to do. :rolleyes:

well if you really wanna get clean, there is a bit of insertion...