PDA

View Full Version : New england captain annouced..

ThaGazBoi
10-08-2006, 04:41 PM
John Terry has been named as the new captain of the England football team.
The 25-year-old was confirmed as David Beckham's successor on Thursday, with Steven Gerrard made vice-captain by new England coach Steve McClaren.
Terry begins his reign as captain in McClaren's first match in charge, a friendly against Greece on 16 August.

McClaren told the Football Association's website: "I'm convinced he will prove to be one of the best captains England has ever had."

McClaren said that the respect that Chelsea skipper Terry commanded among his fellow professionals was behind his decision.

"John has all the attributes an international captain needs - leadership, authority, courage, ability, tactical awareness and a total refusal to accept second-best," he said.

"He has been an inspiration for Chelsea and is at his best in adversity.

"Over the five years I've been involved with the England coaching set-up I've seen first hand the respect that John has among his fellow players.

"There are a number of strong leaders in the squad and he will not lack support on and off the pitch."

Terry said he was delighted with the appointment.

"It is the ultimate honour to be the captain of your country and I am very proud to be given this great opportunity," he said.

Steven Gerrard offered his congratulations to his Chelsea counterpart.

"I would like to congratulate John on being appointed England captain. I'm sure he'll do a great job," he said.

"He's a tremendous leader for Chelsea and has all the qualities required to do the role.

"I'm also pleased to have been appointed vice-captain by Steve McClaren today. I am grateful that Steve took the time to call me and inform me of his decision.

"There are a number of captains in the England squad and I know we will all be giving 100% support to Steve and John."

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho said he was always confident Terry would be named captain.

"I knew Steve was inside and from the inside he could not think twice but to choose JT as England captain," he said.

"JT deserves it. England deserves a captain like him. He loves to work, loves to win, loves to make people happy and confident."

Former Chelsea manager Claudio Ranieri, who made Terry club captain, agreed England had made the right choice.

"I made him captain because he is a leader who always thinks of his team-mates and the squad," Ranieri told BBC Radio Five Live.

He was respected by his team-mates because he's very correct and very serious and he's a great player and a great man.

"When he was young he made little mistakes [off the pitch], but now he's a man and Steve McClaren has made the best decision."

Terry has won 29 caps since making his debut against Serbia and Montenegro on 3 June 2003.

Beckham stepped down as England captain one day after his team were knocked out of the World Cup quarter-finals by Portugal.

The midfielder had been skipper for six years after being handed the armband by stand-in coach Peter Taylor in 2000.

Central defender Terry was the bookmakers' odds-on favourite to follow Beckham, although many tipped Gerrard to take the role.

A poll commissioned by the BBC Sport website and Radio Five Live had revealed that England fans were divided over who should be the new national captain.

Terry gained 51% of the votes, Gerrard polled 46% and Gary Neville got 2%.

Source: http://www.thisisbigbrother.com/forum/post.php?action=newthread&fid=12

SORRY IF THIS HAS BEEN POSTED.

sol
10-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Cool, I want John Terry to be the captain too. :thumbs:

Z
10-08-2006, 04:44 PM
..WTF? Should have been Steven Gerrard, in my memory he's served England way longer than Terry, he's a better player and a better captain for his club. Terry's only considered a good captain because all the other players at Chelsea are world class, so it makes him look good when they win. But Gerrard turns some pretty lame (no offense) players into complete legends. Need I say AC Milan? Stupid choice. Oh well, we over the border can now laugh when Terry leads England into a worse ranking than us xP.

SiMoN!
10-08-2006, 04:44 PM
i wanted gerrard

but terry is still great

Bells
10-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Really? Cool, yeah I too wanted Gerrard as captin but I think John Terry would be good too! :thumbs:

SiMoN!
10-08-2006, 04:51 PM
it must hav been hard to pick out of them to

Bells
10-08-2006, 04:52 PM
I know yeah lol, but to be honest it comes as no real surprise - I did see it as being one of those two anyway..:rolleyes:

Siouxsie
10-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Im not really sure who i wanted we will just have to wait and see if he does a good job

BigSister
10-08-2006, 07:14 PM
I think good choice would have preferrred Gerrard but we shall see..

Dan_
10-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Both are great captains for their clubs so it was always going to be a hard choice for Steve McClaren.I would have gone for Steven Gerrard myself as he's been captain of Liverpool when they won 2 cup competitions and he drove Liverpool on as captain to win those two cups.England's goal is to win a cup competition and as a captain Gerrard's won 2 cup competitions so that's why I would have gone for him.

Locke.
18-03-2009, 02:02 AM
If Gerrard was made captain we would have not only qualified for the European Cup, we would have won it too. Bad choice McClarren!

Novo
18-03-2009, 02:02 AM
Should be Becks

Should Always be Becks

Even when he is dead

still should be Him