PDA

View Full Version : David interview from Daily Record

James
20-12-2002, 09:45 PM
DON'T CALL ME A MILLIONAIRE POP STAR - NOT YET Dec 20 2002

Fame Academy David reveals why he's still skint despite his victory

John Dingwall Exclusive

FAME Academy star David Sneddon last night dispelled the myth that he has become an overnight millionaire.

David, who polled 3.5 million votes last Friday to scoop the show's top prize, may have won a £1million record deal, but it will be a while before any of it lines his pockets.

The talented young singer said: "I'm not a millionaire. People think I've been handed a big silver suitcase, James Bond- style, with all the money in it, but as far as I'm aware I don't have any money.

"That's not how it works."

David, 24, will get an Audi TT sports car as well as a £900,000 luxury flat to enable him to live like a star for a year, but revealed he has yet to get his hands on the prizes.

He said he would only ever be rich if his debut album is a major success.

David has yet to move into his flat in London's sought-after St John's Wood where celebrity neighbours include Kate Moss and Ewan McGregor.

And he hasn't even sat in the Audi TT which he won as part of the talent contest a week ago.

The Paisley singer said: "It's just not true to say I've gone from being a busker to a billionaire. It's not like that. I won't have any money at all until I start working on the album some time next year.

"I've been told that once I write, record and deliver an album, I'll get an advance from the record company and further payments may follow in instalments, but it's not going to be a million pounds.

"They're hoping that I write a good album and it sells well and that's when the money will start to roll in.

"As for the car, as far as I know, it's still in the studio where they filmed Fame Academy.

"I don't get to keep the flat. The rent is paid for the next year. If I'm successful, I can afford to keep it on. If not, I'm out in the gutter.

"I won't move into the flat yet until I'm back from my Christmas break in Glasgow. I want to wait until I can feel settled there. I don't know London well enough to get around and I would get completely lost.

"I'm going to buy some maps and try to get to know the main places in London."

But David is still confident he can make his fortune thanks to Fame Academy.

He is signed to Mercury Records and his debut single, Living A Lie, is released on January 13.

The original promo for the song is No.1 on the music TV channel The Box, which is usually an early indication of the song's chart potential. It took David just five minutes to write the superb ballad when he was 17.

He carted it off to record labels for the next seven years, but claims they refused to listen to it. It meant he was forced to busk for a living until his big break on Fame Academy.

He said: "I spent years punting it round every record company I could think of, but nobody was interested. They probably didn't even listen to it.

"Now I have a record deal which includes the chance to record a few albums. If I'm successful, I'm hopeful the deal will be extended and I will be able to renegotiate the terms of the contract.

"Because I'm writing my own album and I'm confident of my own abilities, I'm confident things won't turn out like they did for Hear'Say. I won't burn out after 12 months."

Relaxing at a top London hotel, where he is staying until the weekend when he'll return to Scotland for a well- earned two- week break, David attacked Gareth Gates and Will Young for being pop puppets.

He also balked at comparisons with their fellow Pop Idol finalist Darius Danesh.

David claimed: "I'm not manufactured. I'm still writing and playing the same music I did before I went into the Fame Academy, whereas Gareth and Will are manufactured by their record companies.

"It's incredible how much they are controlled. That's why they'll burn out because it's all cover versions.

"I've nothing against these guys, but they should be given more of a chance to show what they can do for themselves. If they write songs, they should be allowed to do that or even play their own instruments."

He added: "Darius is Scottish and that's where the similarity between us ends. I smile more than he does, but I would never say `there's a lot of love in this room'. If I was going to be compared to anyone, I'd like it to be one of the great songwriters. Obviously, that's going to take a while.

"Maybe when the album comes out, people will say that I'm the new David Gray or the new Robbie Williams."

Meanwhile, David hasn't forgotten his roots. He plans to enlist his Glaswegian pal John Kielty to help him on the album.

The pair performed in a band called The Martians and busked on the streets of Glasgow and Edinburgh just weeks before David's entry into the Fame Academy.

David said: "I'm going to be working with John because he's a great song writer. He's also an incredible musician and is self- taught just like me.

"He has genius written all over him. He can play piano like Elton John and guitar like David Gray. He's just phenomenal.

"I'll also be working with Scottish song writer John McLaughlin, as we had a great time when he was brought in to help at the Fame Academy.

"But the most important thing for me is that the majority of the album has to be my work, otherwise I'll lose my style and no one will know what I'm really about."

He also revealed he wants his long-term girlfriend Eleanor Roffe to finish her journalism degree rather than move in with him at his London base.

He said: "She has just a couple of months left on the course and I'd like Eleanor to finish her degree.

"She's found it hard to concentrate on her studies because of Fame Academy and is in two minds over what she wants to do.

"If she wants to come to London that's fine by me, but I'd rather she finished her education, even though it makes me sound like her dad."

He also responded to claims he was desperate to bed Eleanor on his release from the Fame Academy.

He said: "People are making out that I'm desperate for a s***, but the truth is I've been far too busy.

"I've hardly had any sleep and these tales of my need to have sex with Eleanor have been blown out of proportion. I'm just happy that we can be together again."

j.dingwall@dailyrecord.co.uk

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/page.cfm?objectid=12469037&method=full&siteid=89488

:thumbs:

splodge0
20-12-2002, 10:04 PM
Thanks James. Its one of the better interviews I have seen. He really is better grounded than your average lad. I look forward to his first album:colour:
:colour::colour:
:colour:

susieq
20-12-2002, 10:18 PM
David claimed: "I'm not manufactured. I'm still writing and playing the same music I did before I went into the Fame Academy, whereas Gareth and Will are manufactured by their record companies.

I think it's a bit early in the day for David to be having a pop at other artistes. Don't spoil things now David by trying to be a wee bit controversial. Juust get on with your own stuff and leave others to get on with theirs.

"Maybe when the album comes out, people will say that I'm the new David Gray or the new Robbie Williams."

Or there again, maybe not!! Let's not try to run before you can walk.

I think it's a good interview but perhaps all the excitement is going to David's head a little. I think he needs to calm down a bit, take stock, relax and then get into making a really good album. Never mind what other people are doing, never mind being the next 'whoever', just be the first David Sneddon and if the music's good enough people will buy it.

Mairi
21-12-2002, 11:40 AM
Although I'm a fan of David's and, like Splodge0, am looking forward to buying his first album, I do agree with you, Susieq, that some of the comments he made during the interview came over as slightly "cocky".

Oh well, he's young and he DOES have a wonderful smile.

:colour: