PDA

View Full Version : Atkins diet

Vicky.
02-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Has anyone on here ever done it? And were the results good?

I am thinking of doing this as I have been told that you can lose up to 20lbs a month if you do it right. Which would mean I will reach my target in about 2 months (including going to the gym which I am doing) I know its not healthy to lose weight at that rate, but to be honest, I dont really care (I know thats a bad attitude before anyone starts :nono: )

The only problem I can think of is the cost..meat tends to be expensive.

I need to research more and find what I can and can't have, as I understand you can have some things that arent meat.

Sooo paranoid about my weight after having Skye. Got on the scales for the first time in literally years and I am not impressed. I am 4 stone heavier that when I met Gavin 6 years back..thats ridiculous.

Ellen
02-09-2013, 12:41 PM
It is a lot of red meat & i think egg which is not good for cholesterol but you do eat veggies & fruit as well.
Some people drop a fair bit of weight with it quite quickly, my dad tried it & lost a stone in a month but he didnt like all the meat & his cholesterol shot up. He did the heart watch cabbage soup diet & lost 11lbs in one week. He did that diet for 3 months,one week on, one week off & lost all the weight he had put on plus more!
He then stuck to a slimming world type eating plan. Dont mix carbs with proteins & plenty of veg & fruit, he hasnt put a 1lb bk on in over 6 years.

Lee.
02-09-2013, 12:50 PM
I did it Vicky.. It definitely works.. The only downside is your breath stinks as does your wee!
I have to say I got pretty fed up quite quickly... It sounds great when you see what you're allowed to eat, but it gets very boring very quickly

I was speaking to a customer the other day who had lost 3 stones in 3 and a half months on the 5:2 diet.. It's supposed to really work and actually he good for your health.

Lee.
02-09-2013, 12:50 PM
I did it Vicky.. It definitely works.. The only downside is your breath stinks as does your wee!
I have to say I got pretty fed up quite quickly... It sounds great when you see what you're allowed to eat, but it gets very boring very quickly

I was speaking to a customer the other day who had lost 3 stones in 3 and a half months on the 5:2 diet.. It's supposed to really work and actually he good for your health.

Josy
02-09-2013, 12:55 PM
My father in law lost a couple of stone on it so yeah it works.

I would get sick of eating so much meat but that's just an individual preference I suppose.

Good luck if you give it a go.

Vicky.
02-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Well I eat a lot of meat anyway...so I figure this is probably the best one for me. Basically, all I will be doing is cutting out potatoes and bread.

Though I am not thrilled at not being able to eat many carrots though, I bloody love carrots :laugh:

Also the lack of milk..I drink a ridiculous amount of tea :bored:

Vicky.
02-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Wow, apparently something called The Kekwick diet..you lose 10lbs a WEEK because it puts your body into ketosis or something :o

Thats quite tempting to be honest, if I can find out that it definitely works. A few weeks of that would be fine..if I was going to see results like that

Ugh. Maybe not, the 1000cal a day you eat, 75% has to be from fat. So that means pretty much eating a stick of butter or something :bored:

Jesus.
02-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Aren't diets like that more for people who need operations? It's ok losing 10lbs a week, but the minute you lose your weight and start eating again, your body will automatically look to build up it's fat reserves again.

I'd recommend you try and find a balance of healthier eating and some exercise if at possible? I now it must be difficult with a little one, but burning more calories than you use is better than not using enough calories.

Lee.
02-09-2013, 01:12 PM
I went on slimming pills after baby no1..

Probably shouldn't recommend them as they can't be good for you, but I reckoned being overweight and a smoker wasn't exactly healthy either..

I went from a size 16/18 to a ten in quite a short time :dance:

Lee.
02-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Wow, apparently something called The Kekwick diet..you lose 10lbs a WEEK because it puts your body into ketosis or something :o

Thats quite tempting to be honest, if I can find out that it definitely works. A few weeks of that would be fine..if I was going to see results like that

Ugh. Maybe not, the 1000cal a day you eat, 75% has to be from fat. So that means pretty much eating a stick of butter or something :bored:

The Atkins diet puts your body into ketosis too.. You can buy little sticks to wee on to make sure you're actually in ketosis :)

Vicky.
02-09-2013, 02:08 PM
I went on slimming pills after baby no1..

Probably shouldn't recommend them as they can't be good for you, but I reckoned being overweight and a smoker wasn't exactly healthy either..

I went from a size 16/18 to a ten in quite a short time :dance:
Which pills were they? I have dabbled with pills before but none seem to work :suspect:

Vicky.
02-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Aren't diets like that more for people who need operations? It's ok losing 10lbs a week, but the minute you lose your weight and start eating again, your body will automatically look to build up it's fat reserves again.

I'd recommend you try and find a balance of healthier eating and some exercise if at possible? I now it must be difficult with a little one, but burning more calories than you use is better than not using enough calories.

This is all well and good, but I want to be a size 10 again by my birthday, which normal dieting wont allow :laugh:

We are having a big night out, meeting with people from school and stuff, so I want to look good

So I'm thinking less about the long term aspects of it tbh.

GiRTh
02-09-2013, 02:10 PM
I swear by it when I want to lose a few pounds. Its dead easy to keep to as well.

Jesus.
02-09-2013, 02:14 PM
This is all well and good, but I want to be a size 10 again by my birthday, which normal dieting wont allow :laugh:

We are having a big night out, meeting with people from school and stuff, so I want to look good

So I'm thinking less about the long term aspects of it tbh.

Ahh - ok. A womans prerogative? Why didn't you say so?!

In that case, isn't there a cabbage diet that the hospitals use?

Vicky.
02-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Ahh - ok. A womans prerogative? Why didn't you say so?!

In that case, isn't there a cabbage diet that the hospitals use?

Thats not really realistic when its gotta pretty much be til january. That cabbage thing might ake me lose it all in 2 months, but by january I will have a lot back on.

Apparently with atkins after the first few weeks you can slowly add carbs, but the weight stays off..so I was thinking a month or two of caning it, then adding to make it more healthy, and that way I should hold out til january

Lee.
02-09-2013, 02:27 PM
Which pills were they? I have dabbled with pills before but none seem to work :suspect:

I think they were phentermine.. You can't buy them anywhere. I had to go through the National Slimming Centre.

They're obviously amphetamine based as it is difficult to sleep at first, and you're NEVER hungry!

GiRTh
02-09-2013, 02:46 PM
I think they were phentermine.. You can't buy them anywhere. I had to go through the National Slimming Centre.

They're obviously amphetamine based as it is difficult to sleep at first, and you're NEVER hungry!Very dangerous.

Lee.
02-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Very dangerous.

They never did me any harm tbh... And I had to go every fortnight to get weighed, my blood pressure taken and my blood checked.

However I'm not keen on taking them again as I did feel constantly jittery on them and had almost constant heartburn

GiRTh
02-09-2013, 02:49 PM
They never did me any harm tbh... And I had to go every fortnight to get weighed, my blood pressure taken and my blood checked.

However I'm not keen on taking them again as I did feel constantly jittery on them and had almost constant heartburnDid your heart beat increase even when resting?

Vicky.
02-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Yeah from reading up on those, think I will give it a miss (despite finding them for sale, but $200 for 2 weeks worth :o )

I'm kinda floating with the idea now of doing my own kinda of diet..eat as I normally do but just cut out all bread/potatos/chocolate and tea. See how well that works...

And drink ****loads of water. Apparently water fills you up if you drink enough of it

A kind of less extreme version of atkins. I probably wont eat more than 20g carbs a day anyway without the bread and stuff. I just dont want to give up my carrot habit :joker:

Lee.
02-09-2013, 02:50 PM
The worst diet I've ever done was the Cambridge diet... It was absolutely awful and I ended up with abscesses on my gums and just generally run down.

Lee.
02-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Yeah from reading up on those, think I will give it a miss (despite finding them for sale, but $200 for 2 weeks worth :o )

I'm kinda floating with the idea now of doing my own kinda of diet..eat as I normally do but just cut out all bread/potatos/chocolate and tea. See how well that works...

And drink ****loads of water. Apparently water fills you up if you drink enough of it

Yeah that's exactly what I'm doing just now.. I'm not eating breakfast, having soup and ryvita for lunch and loads of salad etc for dinner along with loads of water .

Lee.
02-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Did your heart beat increase even when resting?

I dunno.. Probably

GiRTh
02-09-2013, 02:55 PM
I dunno.. Probablyvery dangerous.

Lee.
02-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Vicky, look into the 5:2 diet.. It apparently really works and its supposed to be good for you :)

Jesus.
02-09-2013, 03:07 PM

A kind of less extreme version of atkins. I probably wont eat more than 20g carbs a day anyway without the bread and stuff. I just dont want to give up my carrot habit :joker:

Turn your meals around - have a bigger meal in the morning, and then a breakfast sized meal at night for your main meal.

Vicky.
02-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Vicky, look into the 5:2 diet.. It apparently really works and its supposed to be good for you :)

Had a really quick skim..and that sounds great actually. Will have a look about for sucess stories and that..but if I can eat normally then just have 2 'fasting' days, and lose weight like that, sounds amazing :amazed:

Turn your meals around - have a bigger meal in the morning, and then a breakfast sized meal at night for your main meal.

I dont eat in the morning.

I have like..1 meal a day and snacks. Which probably doesnt help my weight :laugh:

Lee.
02-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Yeah I'm going to look into it too.. You're allowed 500 calories on your fasting days which you could actually make go quite far with just salad and fruit etc

Jake.
02-09-2013, 03:41 PM
I need to find a decent diet

Josy
02-09-2013, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't do a lot of exercise on the fast days of the 5,2 diet, you could collapse :laugh:

Marc
02-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Vicky you should just eat nothing ever again. That weight will drop off

daniel-lewis-1985
02-09-2013, 06:49 PM
My ex did it and through gritted teeth I say he now actually looks amazing.

The mushy pea diet is good aswell (15p a tin) but your **** will be like porridge for a good month or so.

With weight loss aswell just be active when watching tv like walking on the spot or get some Davina McCall dumbells and arse clenches work a treat.

Kizzy
02-09-2013, 06:57 PM
stay away from atkins it's a load of rubbish there are no quick fixes, cutting out whole food groups is not a good idea.
5-2 is only good if you don't get any hypoglycaemia and as said I wouldn't exercise on those days.
I would say avoid ready meals, snacks, refined carbs and takeaways and you can't go wrong :)

Kizzy
02-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Jamies cheap good food on a budget is on :) channel 4.

Vicky.
02-09-2013, 07:21 PM
I wouldn't do a lot of exercise on the fast days of the 5,2 diet, you could collapse :laugh:

Well I was finally going to take your advice and try this 30 day shred at the same time :suspect:

Jamies cheap good food on a budget is on :) channel 4.
He makes me want to thrown things at my tv though :(

Lee.
02-09-2013, 07:27 PM
I'm trying to start the 30 day shred too Vicky.. I've so far managed to lie on the couch and watch it.. The next step is to try and join in :laugh:

Kizzy
02-09-2013, 07:52 PM
He makes me want to thrown things at my tv though :([/QUOTE]

http://scrapbook.channel4.com/bookmarkBar/52173484e4b076c79f86577b

Just don't look at him :joker:

Josy
02-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Well I was finally going to take your advice and try this 30 day shred at the same time :suspect:

He makes me want to thrown things at my tv though :(

Do the shred but miss it out on the fast days and just do some walking or something those days instead.

Lee.
02-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Have you done the 30 day shred josy?

Kizzy
02-09-2013, 08:25 PM

They're obviously amphetamine based as it is difficult to sleep at first, and you're NEVER hungry!

Lee are you advocating the use of speed to lose a few pounds?

Lee.
02-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Lee are you advocating the use of speed to lose a few pounds?

It's legal speed :)

daniel-lewis-1985
02-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Cant any of us just afford treadmills and dumbells?

Treadmills are amazing for trotting infront of the tv.

Lee.
02-09-2013, 10:21 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQr0hBrhUslYsrc89V1_scseEXQ854ln 6FvCGqnZ74xcEOjQIHNVA

Josy
02-09-2013, 10:47 PM
Have you done the 30 day shred josy?

Yeah a couple of times.

Was looking at the ripped in 30 but think I might actually just do 30DS again sometime before xmas with 2 sets of level 2 then 1 of level 3.

Lee.
02-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Yeah a couple of times.

Was looking at the ripped in 30 but think I might actually just do 30DS again sometime before xmas with 2 sets of level 2 then 1 of level 3.

I think I'll struggle to do level 1 tbh!! I'm going to give it a go tomorrow... So you'll know if I don't post again after tomorrow, I'm probably in hospital

Josy
02-09-2013, 10:51 PM
:joker:

Aww good luck Lee, the first few days is the worst but then it gets easier.

Lee.
02-09-2013, 10:55 PM
:joker:

Aww good luck Lee, the first few days is the worst but then it gets easier.

Thanks.. I'm seriously unfit though!! Mind you, I'm aff the fags, so that might make it a bit easier :D

MachoPoodle
03-09-2013, 05:55 PM
I'm very skeptical about 5:2 (some good info here (http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/01January/Pages/Does-the-5-2-intermittent-fasting-diet-work.aspx)), as well as Atkins. Short term though, unless you've got health problems, any diet which means less calories in than out works and is safe.

I've tried the Dukan diet in the past, with good results (also a high protein diet, but less extreme). Decent site here (http://mydukandiet.com/).

As for training, few things speed up weight loss like a combo of brisk walks and some weight lifting.

Vanessa
03-09-2013, 06:10 PM
I hate diets! Life is too short for that! :hugesmile:

Kazanne
03-09-2013, 06:20 PM
Cant any of us just afford treadmills and dumbells?

Treadmills are amazing for trotting infront of the tv.

I have a treadmill and very often trot to Eastenders and Corrie:hugesmile:

Jake.
05-09-2013, 09:42 PM
I've lost over 2 pounds from last week just from cutting out crap, pretty happy :D

Josy
05-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Well done Jake

Jake.
05-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Thank you Josy.. wasn't even trying that hard but I thought I'd step on the old scales, and I was pleasently suprised

Josy
05-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Good stuff.

MTVN
05-09-2013, 10:44 PM
All sounds like a lot of rubbish to me