PDA

View Full Version : Healthy winter food

Kizzy
09-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Cold weather coming now brrrrr!
Don't want salads I want something hot and hearty but still low cal and healthy.
Anyone got any faves or ideas?

Ninastar
09-10-2013, 08:21 PM
soup

Kizzy
09-10-2013, 08:29 PM
I like soup, but was thinking of like family meals.
Pork shoulder is only £2.50 per kg atm so made a massive pork and lentil stew that was lovely.
Started to buy dried beans and pulses too instead of tins, much cheaper.

mizzy25
09-10-2013, 08:31 PM
I was going to say soup too
shepards pie homemade of course

Cherie
09-10-2013, 08:32 PM
My slow cooker comes into its own this time of year. Google some slo cooker receipes Kizzy, you can usually cook enough for two days so can freeze one and have it later in the week. I do all sorts, chilli, curry, stews, bolognaise, soups etc.

Kizzy
09-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Can I tell you a secret?....
I have NEVER used my slow cooker :laugh:
But I promise I will!

Mrluvaluva
09-10-2013, 10:30 PM
A nice bowl of home made chilli. :pipe:

smudgie
09-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Home made soups and stews....or casseroles. Yummy.
Much prefer cooking winter food.

Josy
09-10-2013, 10:56 PM
I always have something cooking in my slow cooker during the colder months atm it's chicken legs/thighs, I will remove the meat from the bones and use it for tomorrows dinner with some veg then use the rest for a curry, soup and sandwiches, so probably for 3 or 4 different things and I think they were only about 4 quid from co-op.

I add lentils and broth mix to allsorts of things in the winter too like stew, goulash, hotpots etc and we always eat things like that with side veg as well as having chopped veg in them.

Our favourite slow cooker meal is bbq pulled pork.

Other healthy stuff we eat in winter for dinners is stir fry, pasta bakes, and tons of home made soups, omelettes, I will probably think of more..

Kate!
09-10-2013, 11:01 PM
I want a slow cooker.

Ninastar
09-10-2013, 11:04 PM
I would definitely advise the slow cooker. its how we get through winter.

you can make all sorts with it.

we cook a roast overnight and have it the next day and its soooo nice

MTVN
09-10-2013, 11:11 PM
First time I've even heard of a slow cooker

Josy
09-10-2013, 11:17 PM
I want a slow cooker.

You can pick them up quite cheap now Kate, Tesco do 3L ones for £15

Kizzy
09-10-2013, 11:25 PM
I got one and then got paranoid about having it switched on while we were asleep :/
I get a turkey thigh and drumstick they are £4.50 (sometimes £3) and there's loads of meat on them easy enough for 2-3 meals and sandwiches.
I had no idea turkey was a lot lower in fat than chicken until recently, bonus :)
Will have a go at that bbq pork, my lad will love that!

Ammi
10-10-2013, 04:55 AM
..soups definitely, I could live off homemade vegetable soups in the winter ...also any curry is lovely in the slow cooker, I like anything that you can just throw spices and pulses into it and be inventive....

Cherie
10-10-2013, 06:27 AM
]I got one and then got paranoid about having it switched on while we were asleep :/[/B]
I get a turkey thigh and drumstick they are £4.50 (sometimes £3) and there's loads of meat on them easy enough for 2-3 meals and sandwiches.
I had no idea turkey was a lot lower in fat than chicken until recently, bonus :)
Will have a go at that bbq pork, my lad will love that!

I never cook overnight, usually 6/7 hours is enough, so you can start it about 9/10 ish in the morning and the food is ready by dinner time (evening dinner!)

thesheriff443
10-10-2013, 07:37 AM
I always have something cooking in my slow cooker during the colder months atm it's chicken legs/thighs, I will remove the meat from the bones and use it for tomorrows dinner with some veg then use the rest for a curry, soup and sandwiches, so probably for 3 or 4 different things and I think they were only about 4 quid from co-op.

I add lentils and broth mix to allsorts of things in the winter too like stew, goulash, hotpots etc and we always eat things like that with side veg as well as having chopped veg in them.

Our favourite slow cooker meal is bbq pulled pork.

Other healthy stuff we eat in winter for dinners is stir fry, pasta bakes, and tons of home made soups, omelettes, I will probably think of more..

reading this makes me hungry.

Josy
10-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Another one of our easy winter go to's is Smothered Pork Chops, this was the first meal I ever made in our own house when I was 16 years old and I think I phoned my mum every two minutes to double check everything she told me :laugh:

4 pork chops (bone in or out is up to you)
2 large onions
2 beef oxo cubes

I add some extras sometimes like mushrooms or carrots.

Place your chops in a casserole dish (you can brown them before hand if that's what you prefer)
Chop the onions and place on the top (as well as any extras)
Mix the 2 beef cubes with enough water to cover everything

Cover with foil then place in a preheated oven and leave to cook for about 40minutes, I then remove the foil and turn the chops so the top doesn't dry out then put them back in the oven for another 20/30 minutes without the foil.

You can buy a 4 pack of frozen boneless pork chops from Morrisons for £2 and they work well with this, just remember to defrost them first.

Edit - I forgot to add this serves 4 of us and we have it with mashed turnip :love:

Vicky.
10-10-2013, 11:25 AM
Pfft. Healthy? Winter is the perfect excuse to eat a load of junk and blame it on comfort eating :D

Josy
10-10-2013, 11:29 AM
Pfft. Healthy? Winter is the perfect excuse to eat a load of junk and blame it on comfort eating :D

:laugh:

AnnieK
10-10-2013, 11:29 AM
I love winter - we hardly ever waste food in the winter as we turn all leftovers into soups etc. I always boil chicken bones to make stock and then chuck in loads of whatever veg I have left over, pulses, lentils etc etc. and make chicken broth etc...we always have a pan of something on the hob and freeze the rest....

Josy
10-10-2013, 11:33 AM
We freeze a lot too Annie it's so easy just to grab something from the freezer to heat up rather than standing around the kitchen for hours making it.

I don't freeze soups or anything like that with potatoes in it though, I think they taste weird when they are defrosted/reheated :laugh:

Cherie
10-10-2013, 11:36 AM

Exactly!

Kizzy, a real hearty soup again make it in your unused slow cooker, is Ministrone, you can lob in loads of cannellini beans and pasta to bulk it out, and just do a few meatballs for the boy if he needs his meat. You should get 3/4 meals out of one slo cook if it is just 2 of you.

Kizzy
10-10-2013, 11:44 AM
I'm a bit weird with frozen meat and bones haha, I do drain the cooking juices from a chicken let it settle and skim off the oil to get stock, but not boil bones.
I wish I liked curry more, we are right wusses chip shop stylee is as hot as we go :D
Lad loves pork and braised steak, but you hear stuff about red meat and it puts you off :(

arista
10-10-2013, 11:52 AM
First time I've even heard of a slow cooker

Cost effective
and you leave it on while you go to Work.

Pro People use them

arista
10-10-2013, 11:53 AM

no keep Your Hips
Hot

Cherie
Cost effective
and you leave it on while you go to Work.

Pro People use them

:joker:yes Kizzy, not overnight when you are in bed!

Kizzy
Mmm that minestrone sounds lovely! deffo going to do that, if you do freeze meals whats the procedure?
If I were to cook double of a chicken stew today say, freeze half, with it have to be fully defrosted before reheating?

Cherie
10-10-2013, 11:55 AM
I'm a bit weird with frozen meat and bones haha, I do drain the cooking juices from a chicken let it settle and skim off the oil to get stock, but not boil bones.
I wish I liked curry more, we are right wusses chip shop stylee is as hot as we go :D
Lad loves pork and braised steak, but you hear stuff about red meat and it puts you off :(

No I don't boil bones either the fox gets any chicken bones in this house.

Cherie
10-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Mmm that minestrone sounds lovely! deffo going to do that, if you do freeze meals whats the procedure?
If I were to cook double of a chicken stew today say, freeze half, with it have to be fully defrosted before reheating?

Yes you need to fully defrost anything with meat it in. With anything just veg based, you can get away with reheating it without fully defrosting.

Kizzy
10-10-2013, 11:59 AM
:joker:yes Kizzy, not overnight when you are in bed!

Haha my mates mum had one she came in from a nightclub and devoured whatever her mum was making overnight once :joker:
That's what made me think overnight haha!

Josy
10-10-2013, 12:00 PM
This thread has made me want to go into the kitchen and start cooking.

arista
10-10-2013, 12:03 PM
This thread has made me want to go into the kitchen and start cooking.

Yes do it now

Later Relax

Life In The Fast Lane

Kizzy
10-10-2013, 12:04 PM
Yes you need to fully defrost anything with meat it in. With anything just veg based, you can get away with reheating it without fully defrosting.

Right, I'm on it! :)
soaked some butter beans and red lentils last night so here goes... Will post the recipe once I decide what it is, and if the result is edible :laugh:

Cherie
05-11-2013, 01:00 PM
well did you dust off your slo cooker Kizzy?

Vanessa
05-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Sausages. :amazed:

Kazanne
05-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Slow cookers are great for stewing meats.

Kizzy
05-11-2013, 01:31 PM
No... :laugh: I did a chicken and spinach concoction on the hob though night before last, can rustle up a stew in an hour now so will keep it in the cupboard for now:D here's how it went...
Chicken
dried mixed beans,chick peas,lentils (soak 24hrs or more)
onion
kallo stock cube (2 chicken1veg)
spinkle of shwartz 'season all'
3-4 drops fish oil (trust me)
splash soy sauce
black pepper
Bulger wheat and or quinoa
loads frozen spinach and mixed veg.

Kazanne
05-11-2013, 01:31 PM

baked potatoes Kizzy with coleslaw and other toppings.

Kizzy
05-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Yep love a jacket tatty having them tonight ... well, it's tradition lol!
hate having the oven on just for a few spuds but meh, Or I could do a fritatta too?...:)

fingers
05-11-2013, 03:10 PM
If you don't have a slow cooker the next best thing is just to use your Gas or Electric Hob with a Simmer Mat between the heat source and the base of your pot.
I use one all the time for slowcooking, you turn the gas to its lowest setting and cook for as log as you want.
Cheapest I've found online are from EBay, regular prices go from about £7 - £15 - EBay do them from £1.50!

> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/330980192871?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95

Kizzy
05-11-2013, 04:16 PM
I was trying to work out what is the cheapest cooking method too, is is slow cooker as the temp is so low or the hob for speed?
If I use the oven I try to do as much as poss to utilize the energy efficiently.

fingers
05-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Can't answer that, kizzy, but I reckon that gas hob simmering has to be about the cheapest, you are using the absolute minimum when using a Simmer Mat.

Redway
05-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Try these:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/top-20-winter

And the lot - http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=healthy+winter+recipes&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

Admittedly googled it just now but they usually have some pretty solid ideas.

michael21
05-11-2013, 04:44 PM
i just order Large Donner Kebab cant wait for it to get here

Josy
22-11-2014, 08:29 AM
I'm making soup today, just ham and veg I think but may decide to add more meat later..

For a massive pot:

1 decent sized Ham Hock
7 large carrots (5 diced and 2 grated)
4 Onions chopped
2 large Leeks sliced
1 small Swede/Turnip diced
3 Potatoes diced
1 Cup of Pearl Barley
Half a cup of lentils
A couple of ham or veg stock cubes
Black Pepper

I blend mine a little once cooked with the hand blender.

Using the cooker to make this because I already have a gammon joint cooking in my slow cooker.

kirklancaster
22-11-2014, 08:56 AM
I'm making soup today, just ham and veg I think but may decide to add more meat later..

For a massive pot:

1 decent sized Ham Hock
7 large carrots (5 diced and 2 grated)
4 Onions chopped
2 large Leeks sliced
1 small Swede/Turnip diced
3 Potatoes diced
1 Cup of Pearl Barley
Half a cup of lentils
A couple of ham or veg stock cubes
Black Pepper

I blend mine a little once cooked with the hand blender.

Using the cooker to make this because I already have a gammon joint cooking in my slow cooker.

Delicious, and apart from the pearl barley, you use the same ingredients as I do.

I love cooking ham shank with steeping peas, onions, a bit of celery and seasoning - scrumptious.

Josy
22-11-2014, 09:28 AM
Do you not like Pearl Barley Kirk?

Kazanne
22-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Can I tell you a secret?....
I have NEVER used my slow cooker :laugh:
But I promise I will!

Kizzy ,you should,they are a God send,put ingredients in ,in the morning and hey presto it's ready for tea time and beautifully cooked.

Josy
22-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Kizzy ,you should,they are a God send,put ingredients in ,in the morning and hey presto it's ready for tea time and beautifully cooked.

I agree.

I love my slow cooker :flutter:

kirklancaster
22-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Do you not like Pearl Barley Kirk?

No Josy, because we were very poor when I was a child and my dear old mum used to overuse it in stews and broths to 'bulk' them out bless her.

That and tinned fruit (for the same reason) are about the only foods which I don't like.

I really love home cooking though Josy and I'm grateful I was raised on good wholesome food - poverty turned out to be a blessing in this respect. It seems you're a keen home cookery fan too. Trouble is, this recipe of yours has got me wanting some now. LOL.

Kazanne
22-11-2014, 09:48 AM
I agree.

I love my slow cooker :flutter:

Me too Josy,what did we do without them,I also like the halogen ovens,mines just broke,but have to get another.

kirklancaster
22-11-2014, 09:53 AM
Me too Josy,what did we do without them,I also like the halogen ovens,mines just broke,but have to get another.

Yes, the Slow Cooker is indispensable in our kitchen.

Josy
22-11-2014, 09:56 AM
No Josy, because we were very poor when I was a child and my dear old mum used to overuse it in stews and broths to 'bulk' them out bless her.

That and tinned fruit (for the same reason) are about the only foods which I don't like.

I really love home cooking though Josy and I'm grateful I was raised on good wholesome food - poverty turned out to be a blessing in this respect. It seems you're a keen home cookery fan too. Trouble is, this recipe of yours has got me wanting some now. LOL.

Yeah my mum and mother in law got me into home cooking and I get what you mean about the pearl barley, I actually use it to bulk out things too the same with adding grated carrot and stuff to other things :laugh:

And get in and make yourself a pot of soup, theres nothing better on a cold winters night IMO.

My mother in law uses her halogens constantly she has 2 and uses them for almost everything, she actually got rid of her oven because the halogen takes it's place and so now just has a stove top built into the worktop.

kirklancaster
22-11-2014, 10:32 AM
Yeah my mum and mother in law got me into home cooking and I get what you mean about the pearl barley, I actually use it to bulk out things too the same with adding grated carrot and stuff to other things :laugh:

And get in and make yourself a pot of soup, theres nothing better on a cold winters night IMO.

My mother in law uses her halogens constantly she has 2 and uses them for almost everything, she actually got rid of her oven because the halogen takes it's place and so now just has a stove top built into the worktop.

Believe it or not, I'm on with it. I'm starving now.

Josy
16-12-2014, 07:10 PM
Home made chicken and rice soup for me today,

So from a whole chicken it was stock for soup, some of the meat for the soup, the chicken breasts will be for a homemade chicken and veg pie tomorrow and the rest for sandwiches.

LeatherTrumpet
16-12-2014, 07:15 PM
All i had for my fecking lunch was a cup of bovril and 2 bits of buttered bread as I was too busy to sit down and watch 15 mins of bargain hunt as normal.

"this hasnt arrived, will it arrive before Christmas" I dont fecking know I am not your flipping postman :fist:

Bloody cold all day iv been, the kitchen was 12 C for most of the afternoon. cant be arsed to cook any tea tonight but i may have a tin of soup later

I am turning into my Christmas user name

had a lot of pearl barley when i was wee and them wee orange lentil things

Josy
16-12-2014, 07:24 PM
All i had for my fecking lunch was a cup of bovril and 2 bits of buttered bread as I was too busy to sit down and watch 15 mins of bargain hunt as normal.

"this hasnt arrived, will it arrive before Christmas" I dont fecking know I am not your flipping postman :fist:

Bloody cold all day iv been, the kitchen was 12 C for most of the afternoon. cant be arsed to cook any tea tonight but i may have a tin of soup later

I am turning into my Christmas user name

had a lot of pearl barley when i was wee and them wee orange lentil things

What do you mean when you were wee? :shocked: where you live those pearl barley and lentils should be a staple part of your diet.

LeatherTrumpet
16-12-2014, 07:33 PM
What do you mean when you were wee? :shocked: where you live those pearl barley and lentils should be a staple part of your diet.

I have just had half a cup of Bombay Mix

so i am quite exotic

:hmph: