PDA

View Full Version : The Luke Shaw transfer saga

alex_front2
26-05-2014, 12:00 AM
Where will he end up after World Cup? Sorry Saints fans, but his exit is now inevitable. The sacking of the youth team coaches will give him excuse he needs to leave without seeming ungrateful as he can claim relationship with board has broken down (axing the guys who made him, lack of loyalty to staff etc).

Man U seemed like favs, but Liverpool, Real M, Arsenal and PSG are jumping on LS bandwagon and can offer champions league football which Man U can't.

Drew.
26-05-2014, 12:01 AM
Starting to think Chelsea.. with Evra staying on it's not looking too likely and Chelsea are desperate for a left back now.

Ryan57
26-05-2014, 12:03 AM
To United, Evra as back up...

Knowing us he'll go elsewhere...

Shaun
26-05-2014, 12:24 AM
Galatasaray

Ryan57
26-05-2014, 12:27 AM
He has more chance of being a permanent fixture in the United side then any other team, I'd say. Evra can't play the number of games he does anymore. Hopefully it means we finally get rid of Buttwank.

Mark Ogden says he's joining United and he's the most reliable United journalist.

Alf
26-05-2014, 12:28 AM
He wont be going to Everton because we don't need him, we already have the Worlds best in his position.

alex_front2
26-05-2014, 12:37 AM
He wont be going to Everton because we don't need him, we already have the Worlds best in his position.

Well obviously Leighton Baines will keep him out of the big WC games but he's getting on.

Also marketing wise there is somthing 1/3 Beckham, 2/3 Bale about Shaw, ie he will sell shirts in far flung corners of world. He's like a 2014 version of the "Spice Boys" (Steve Mcmanaman, Robbie Fowler et al).

Ryan57
26-05-2014, 12:42 AM
Why would Shaw sell shirts?

Drew.
26-05-2014, 12:55 AM
Well obviously Leighton Baines will keep him out of the big WC games but he's getting on.

Also marketing wise there is somthing 1/3 Beckham, 2/3 Bale about Shaw, ie he will sell shirts in far flung corners of world. He's like a 2014 version of the "Spice Boys" (Steve Mcmanaman, Robbie Fowler et al).

If anything he'll probably have one of the lowest shirt sales.. hes not in the media for anything, hes not having himself advertised around the world for companies like Nike/Adidas or promoting companies in adverts.

alex_front2
26-05-2014, 01:03 AM
Why would Shaw sell shirts?

He's got a marketable look that goes down well with teeny female Asian football fans. Sadly the likes of Danny Wellbeck don't.

And it's no secret EPL really want to exploit Asian football market even further, especially female ones who really buy into players as opposed to just teams. Really brilliant doc on CNN or Al Jazerra last year about how young female fans in Asia are a growing income source and football clubs really take into account marketability of players to clubs when signing. Luke Shaw or an equally talented ugly player? No contest.

Rooney is not a looker but he's too talented for it to matter.

Luke Shaw might as well be like sixth member of 1D. He's got the so called looks and talent which Man U and other interested clubs will have half an eye on. These things do have weight as big clubs are global brands.

Drew.
26-05-2014, 01:04 AM
If we're talking for the future then yeah he'd be marketable.. not so much now though.

alex_front2
26-05-2014, 01:07 AM
If we're talking for the future then yeah he'd be marketable.. not so much now though.

If, if he has a good WC ie shines over Leighton Bains he steps up the marketability pole. Not many England players who are. Plus Ronaldo et al are pushing 30.

Ryan57
26-05-2014, 01:10 AM
He's a left back, though. How many times do you see defenders on the back of fans' shirts? Mats Hummels is a great looking guy, but he's not going to be a marketable player if he joins a massive club due to his position.

Kids in the playground would rather be a Rooney or Aguero not a defender. A further forward player will always be the most marketable man.

Ozil hasn't got the looks, but he'll always be more marketable than any defender.

alex_front2
26-05-2014, 09:27 AM
He's a left back, though. How many times do you see defenders on the back of fans' shirts? Mats Hummels is a great looking guy, but he's not going to be a marketable player if he joins a massive club due to his position.

Kids in the playground would rather be a Rooney or Aguero not a defender. A further forward player will always be the most marketable man.

Ozil hasn't got the looks, but he'll always be more marketable than any defender.

Ah, but that's my point. Asian female footy fans in places like China, or Malaysia won't give two craps about wanting to be Aguero or Rooney - they are not seeking to emulate them as they probably don't play - they just want to wear the shirt of the "hottest " player. They won't be seen in a Rooney shirt as he's *ahem* not beautiful enough. Luke Shaw would give the Harry Styles factor and tweenie girls across Asia do spend a surprising amount of dosh on footy shirts and merchandise.

Ryan57
26-05-2014, 10:48 AM
I don't believe I've ever heard of any defenders having lot's of Asian women admirers, though.

Drew.
26-05-2014, 10:56 AM
Ah, but that's my point. Asian female footy fans in places like China, or Malaysia won't give two craps about wanting to be Aguero or Rooney - they are not seeking to emulate them as they probably don't play - they just want to wear the shirt of the "hottest " player. They won't be seen in a Rooney shirt as he's *ahem* not beautiful enough. Luke Shaw would give the Harry Styles factor and tweenie girls across Asia do spend a surprising amount of dosh on footy shirts and merchandise.

Cleverley isn't the worst looking chap, playing for United who have one of the biggest fan bases.. you wouldn't see many Asian fans wearing his shirt. You're underestimating the knowledge some Asian, Africans and Americans have on English football. They aren't just there to support a player on his looks, some of them are crazily dedicated and know a lot about the sport.. Females included. They'd rather wear a shirt from a club legend like Rooney, Vidic, Lampard, Terry, Gerrard than a young good looking player.

MTVN
26-05-2014, 10:59 AM
Bordering on quite offensive really saying Asians are only capable of appreciating a footballer for their looks lol

Jesus.
26-05-2014, 11:00 AM
Alex has just spotted a chink in Luke Shaw's armour.

Ryan57
26-05-2014, 11:14 AM
It's always you with the puns. :joker:

Jesus.
26-05-2014, 11:17 AM
Can't beat a good pun. Or in my case, loads of absolutely terrible ones!

alex_front2
26-05-2014, 01:37 PM
Bordering on quite offensive really saying Asians are only capable of appreciating a footballer for their looks lol

That's what AJ/ CNN were saying....

Ryan57
26-05-2014, 02:12 PM
Can't beat a good pun. Or in my case, loads of absolutely terrible ones!

I was still laughing 5-10 minutes after first reading it, then still chuckling half an hour later. So simple, yet so good. :joker:

Brother Leon
26-05-2014, 04:49 PM
I think there are a couple better options out there, but seeing as we seem hell bent on him we better not **** it up.

alex_front2
28-05-2014, 10:51 PM
Personally the better LB would be Ricardo Rodriguez in Bundesliga. Probably cheaper, too.

Legend killer
06-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Hopefully not United would have a negative affect on the development of young Patrice who in my honest opinion is not only the future of this club but the future of footballing full backs. Where defending as a defender is only second priority

alex_front2
08-06-2014, 10:51 PM
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/manchester-united-target-shock-swoop-barcelonas-jordi-alba-if-luke-shaw-bid-fails-1451738

Looks as if Man U are cooling on Shaw and going for the Barcelona guy Jordi Alba.

Tarryn
09-06-2014, 08:57 AM
I really don't think he was ever coming to us.
This is the problem with buying British players. They/their agents price them too high.
28 million is way too much. You can get a couple of good European players for that.

alex_front2
10-06-2014, 08:25 AM
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2014/06/10/4871602/shaw-agrees-160000-a-week-manchester-united-deal

Well it's now reported he's joining Man Utd on £160k/ week :shocked: :nono: This cannot be true? Having said that all best LBs in world as targets eg Barca's Jordi Alba won't to miss CL football as big a club as Man U are. So Shaw may be best option with Evra as cover.

Tarryn
10-06-2014, 10:14 AM
As a Man U fan I hope some players would have more faith that this past season was just a glitch. With so much happening last season.
No CL this season will give us more time to sort out the major problems we have.
But I still think Shaw is way over-priced.
But City & Chelsea have so much money we need to be seen to compete with them.

alex_front2
10-06-2014, 02:21 PM
As a Man U fan I hope some players would have more faith that this past season was just a glitch. With so much happening last season.
No CL this season will give us more time to sort out the major problems we have.
But I still think Shaw is way over-priced.
But City & Chelsea have so much money we need to be seen to compete with them.

Agreed, he is way over priced but he is a young relatively successful relatively experienced defender which is not all that common these days when you have loads of young midfielders and strikers but not many top flight defenders. Plus Southampton finished just below Man Utd so it's not as if Man U are currently that much better this season.

Also Man U are simply not a first choice team for a lot of foreigners now. As good as de Gaal is he is not SAF at Man Utd. Every top dick and average Harry wants CL football even Europa and there is no guarantee MU will bounce back especially as if we agree that the same trio (Chelsea, MC and Liverpool) will be battling for title in top 3 places that leaves 4th place with Arsenal facing stiff competition from Everton, Spurs and even Newcastle (not Southampion as they are imploding no Ponchetti, no retained successful youth coaches, no Lambert, Lallana, Rodriguez looking to leave as well as Shaw).

Luke Shaw may like to be in CL but he'd forgo this if he can play for big club like Man U and hope to qualify for Europe 2015/16

Tarryn
10-06-2014, 05:23 PM
Agreed, he is way over priced but he is a young relatively successful relatively experienced defender which is not all that common these days when you have loads of young midfielders and strikers but not many top flight defenders. Plus Southampton finished just below Man Utd so it's not as if Man U are currently that much better this season.

Also Man U are simply not a first choice team for a lot of foreigners now. As good as de Gaal is he is not SAF at Man Utd. Every top dick and average Harry wants CL football even Europa and there is no guarantee MU will bounce back especially as if we agree that the same trio (Chelsea, MC and Liverpool) will be battling for title in top 3 places that leaves 4th place with Arsenal facing stiff competition from Everton, Spurs and even Newcastle (not Southampion as they are imploding no Ponchetti, no retained successful youth coaches, no Lambert, Lallana, Rodriguez looking to leave as well as Shaw).

Luke Shaw may like to be in CL but he'd forgo this if he can play for big club like Man U and hope to qualify for Europe 2015/16

I totally agree that our options are limited with no CL this coming season.
Southampton are being raided by other PL clubs right now & I don't blame them for wanting the maximum amount for Shaw.
You are right LVG is no Sir Alex, he was a one-off but I think LVG has been given the job as he has the pulling power that Moyes did not. Players will want to come to us as he is our manager.
We had an awful season & it was not just the placing which was bad it was the lack of passion from our players & such negative football.
I think Chelsea & City are almost certain to battle it out for the title next season but after that it's pretty open.
Arsenal fell apart, Everton improved under Martinez & Liverpool may have had one great season as they did not have to concern themselves with the CL.
Spurs will also be interesting with their new young manager. I think Pochettino could be a real find for them.
The only thing that bothers me if we do get Shaw is the message it is sending out to the other players at the club. Such huge wages.
Rooney held us to ransom. Others may try to do so.
LVG has a big job on his hands. I'm happy Giggs has stayed. He may be really important.
I would love to see our youth come through but time is limited now. We need to get back into the CL as soon as we can.

alex_front2
10-06-2014, 06:46 PM
I totally agree that our options are limited with no CL this coming season.
Southampton are being raided by other PL clubs right now & I don't blame them for wanting the maximum amount for Shaw.
You are right LVG is no Sir Alex, he was a one-off but I think LVG has been given the job as he has the pulling power that Moyes did not. Players will want to come to us as he is our manager.
We had an awful season & it was not just the placing which was bad it was the lack of passion from our players & such negative football.
I think Chelsea & City are almost certain to battle it out for the title next season but after that it's pretty open.
Arsenal fell apart, Everton improved under Martinez & Liverpool may have had one great season as they did not have to concern themselves with the CL.
Spurs will also be interesting with their new young manager. I think Pochettino could be a real find for them.
The only thing that bothers me if we do get Shaw is the message it is sending out to the other players at the club. Such huge wages.
Rooney held us to ransom. Others may try to do so.
LVG has a big job on his hands. I'm happy Giggs has stayed. He may be really important.
I would love to see our youth come through but time is limited now. We need to get back into the CL as soon as we can.

Man U need to get back to CL as soon as they can? NO! Man U need to get back in CL at the end of this new season!! 2 seasons out an Man U will lose anything they had. Aston Villa were a big club...once.

The thing is, a (foreign) player with ambition and drive will not forgo CL to join Man U unless it's for a huge wage, playing for greed for more cash. An ambitious young player now wants CL and an old pro wants CL as they may never have the chance again. DE Gaal as great as he is is not a draw for the new generation of players as there is no guarantee he won't falter in his first season in EPL (e.g. Pep G ultimately wasn't 100% successful with tika takka at Bayern in CL).

If Man U want better value than Shaw they have to look in the less sexier leagues like the Seria A, French Division 1 or Dutch.

Man U are in same boat as AC Milan - a big club with some star players who have had their worst season in decades and won't be in Europe next season. If players don't want to join AC then they won't want to join Man U. Tricky times for Man U used to the world's best selling their grannies to arrive at Old Trafford face rejection.

The very best will join Chelsea, City, Barcelona, PSG even Arsenal. Only SAF returning would entice the best. Man U should just settle for plucky enthusiasts and chancers like Shaw until they return to CL. Shaw is savvy, he knows full well he would never be good enough to have caught SAF's attention 2 or 3 years ago if he was this age then. But Man U are a bit vulnerable nowadays, he sniffs an opportunity as Shaw shows "promise" and is probably the best LB who would join Man U therefore he can command a larger wage than he really deserves. Shows you how far Man U have fallen, they are beneath Arsenal and possibly Everton on the transfee desirability scale now. Being the biggest club in UK means nowt without results. If it's any comfort Arsenal will fall from grace soon, too.

Tarryn
11-06-2014, 09:05 AM
I know a lot of fans have loved watching the downfall of Man U. I was the same when it happened to Liverpool.
If it can happen to us it can happen to anyone.
But last season was a perfect storm waiting to happen.
Sir Alex leaving, Moyes arriving. Getting rid of the back room staff. Gill leaving & incapable Woodward taking charge. The Rooney situation.
But it's just one really bad season. If this time next year nothing has changed then it's time to panic.
We are still a big club who two seasons ago won the PL by a massive gap.
Others improved, we did not.
Money talks. Sad to say but if you throw enough money at a player they will come to play for you.
Look at Man City before they won the PL a few seasons ago.
I'm going to hold my judgement of the true state of Man U until LVG has been given time.

alex_front2
22-06-2014, 07:28 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2665726/Manchester-United-agree-100-000-week-deal-Luke-Shaw-look-sign-left-England-return-World-Cup.html

**breaking news****

Apparently Man U has gone tbrough acording several twitter sources of varying credibility.

Ryan57
23-06-2014, 12:12 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BquBUHDCcAEAbtd.jpg

Is her twin Jessie J?

alex_front2
23-06-2014, 06:34 AM
I knew it was only a matter of time before a LS sex story would emerge. Tabloids have wanted it for ages: most of other players seem boring and shockingly happily married, coupled. They desperately need a blue eyed poster boy type to write about. LS is 18, and despite being handsome, has no wag or girl lurking about so I see no real scandal.

alex_front2
26-06-2014, 08:33 PM
http://abload.de/img/woodymuk6o.gif

Looks like LS has gone for £34m to MU, along with Herrera

Achilles
27-06-2014, 04:09 AM
Would prefer we sign Ricardo Rodriguez for half the price.

alex_front2
27-06-2014, 06:33 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/TransferSources/status/482523798277992449/photo/1

VjjfvOrahsc

LS Man U TV interview

Ricardo Rodriguez is not a big enough "name" to quench most Man U fans thirst for a "comeback" and keep these fans off much criticised Woodward's back. Plus did he play in WC for Switzerland in 5 - 2 game against France?

Ryan57
27-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Luke Shaw being more of a known name over here will of had nothing to do with the deal.

Legend killer
27-06-2014, 07:52 PM
At least we will now have a starting left back who can bother to run back and defend that said would have preferred Blind with money in mind

alex_front2
28-06-2014, 12:05 AM
At least we will now have a starting left back who can bother to run back and defend that said would have preferred Blind with money in mind

I am fed up with these attacking full backs malarky that the likes of de gaal love. I just want defenders who can defend very well, but it feels that that's not enough and going forward is the priority over defending. LS = great going forward, average defending.

alex_front2
23-07-2014, 07:56 PM
http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/22/exclusive-luke-shaw-speaks-out-about-manchester-united-move/

Interview ahead of debut v La Galaxy

alex_front2
10-08-2014, 09:03 PM
http://www.ok.co.uk/celebrity-news/who-is-mario-falcones-ex-shelby-billingham-dating

Blimey, the tabloids seem to be persuing LS's private life at the mo. Got a feeling he's going to be in loads of kissn tell, lap dancer, "love rat", womaniser, shagging loads of women non football related stories. I know footballers shag hot women but LS is doing really well for himself